“A piece of Heaven”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Mui Ne
Aalborg, Denmark
“A piece of Heaven”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed 9 nights at the Pandanus and we can sum up in just one word ... WONDERFUL! After spending time in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and Ho Chi Minh we were looking for relaxation and tranquility and that is indeed what we found at the Pandanus. Our first impression, which was confirmed during our stay, was that the Pandanus is run efficiently andwith an attentive eye for every little detail.
We had a cozy bungalow in the big lush and very well kept garden, right next to the beautyful pool area. From the very beginning we were met by a friendly, polite, and very helpful staff. Particularly one girl at the front desk, Miss Rosslini, was exceptionally nice and kind and took a great interest in our well being. She and the general manager, Mr Steve, are unique when it comes to creating a professional yet warm and welcoming ambience.
We, as well as the children, had a great time at the Pandanus. We joined the morning walk, which introduced us to the town of Mui Ne. Afterwards we took the complimentary bikes and went to Mui Ne several times. The red Sand Dunes are almost right next door, the beach is wonderful and the kids collected a lot of shells, had fun looking at crabs or watching local life. My husbond went to the fitness center and went for a run at the beach, we attended the Wine and Cheese in the afternoon, a great opportunity to talk to other guests and to mr. Steve who is a truly remarkable host. Also we used the free shuttle service to go to the Fairy Stream and to Ham Tien. There are many other activities at the Pandanus, but we just did not get to that since the pool and the beach were so nice.
The Pandanus Resort had everything we ever dreamed of, including a very good restaurant. All in all, it is very noticeable that the staff pays a lot of attention to the needs of the guests, and that mr.Steve is a unique asset to the resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Josefinesk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Came to pandanus using up a gift voucher. They were hopeless over the phone when I was trying to book it, so I arrived with low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised. Great pool close to wild and empty beach. Use of free bikes was really useful as the dunes are very close. Could have done without the Filipino band each evening but fortunately you couldn't hear them from my room. Good quality option for spoiling yourself when in southern Vietnam.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank rodolfoconejo
göteborg
Reviewed July 17, 2010

So well,
• Perfect lobby and welcoming! The Pandanus, staff are all the best! They are very service minded; friendly and they really try to understand what you want, even though not all of them are A-students in English.
• Perfect service and restaurant; i.e. really broad menu and the staff was excellent. Even though it was evident that they thought it was a bit strange with a “lady” travelling alone… they handled this very good (apart from other contacts I had in Vietnam – it is considered as very strange to travel alone as a woman in her 30+)…I got many questions about that but not at Pandauns…they where just wonderful!
• Perfect pool area and beach, i.e. the very best I have seen, i.e. for those of you who do not like crowded Cannes beaches.
• Rather OK room, No luxury but OK. Had a garden view, there are about 4 rooms with ocean wiev. Tried to up grade but where told those where booked. I am not certain that this was true.
Felt safe travelling alone. Choose Asia even though I prefer South America. S.A. is not that safe when travelling alone. However, on the first morning walk on the beach at Mui Ne I got offended by a local showing off his dick! He was about half my length but proudly showing off his organ. It was only he and me at the beach. He had leather shoes and it seemed important to him not to get those into the ocean. I went in to the ocean and headed back to Pandanus. He disappeared. I did not tell the management at Pandanus because I did not want to make a scene but unfortunately there where no more early beach walks for me.

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank stina66
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I have been in Pandanus resort for two times and I'm now planning my third trip. Pandanus resort is an absolutely wonderful place! Last time, December 2009, I travelled alone to Vietnam to explore vietnamese agriculture. After some days in HCMC, to meet some people working with agricultural businesses, I took the train to Phan Thiet to go to Mui Ne and Pandanus resort. At the train station the very polite (and safe!) driver from Pandanus resort picked me up. As I arrived to the resort I instantly remembered the wonderful Pandanus atmosphere I was lucky to once again experience. Pandanus is something extra special! As working with constructions I'm impressed of the architecture and the majestic buildings are surrounded by lush gardens with wonderful trees and flowers.

After my busy stay in HCMC I needed a relaxing stay in Pandanus. The poolarea is fantastic (the biggest pool in the southern Vietnam) and the beach is safe and clean. The staff pick up trash immediately if any floats ashore. Just as you show up by the beach the staff comes running with a towel and asking you I they could bring you something from the nearby bar and restaurant. By the beach (next to "the Pandanus beach"), and if you're lucky, you can also experience some local fishermen bring up their fishing nets. I have never been disturbed by any motorbikes driving along the shore. I, myself, borrowed a bicycle from Pandanus and ran along the beach northwards. I was all alone til I met some fishermen (with motorbikes). I stopped and we tried to communicate. They gave me some beutiful seashells. If they would come with their motorbikes along "the Pandanus beach" I would never complain. They are locals making their livelihood by the sea. Their purpose is not to disturb.

After a relaxing stay by the beach, or the pool, you're able to join the manager and the other guests for wine and cheese later in the afternoon. Just talking with people from all over the world is fantastic. I'm stil in contact with people from Sweden (as I'm from), Germany, US and Vietnam since my last stay in Pandanus. The atmosphere is so pleasant. If there are complaints about the "wine and cheese cat" I guess I'm guilty. For most of the tourist it's a nice element with "the wine and cheese cat" and feeding it with cheese is appreciated (by both tourists and the cat). If the cat becomes a problem bring it to me in Sweden. I promise to feed the cat with cheese for the rest of it's life. We have cats in Sweden too and a cat in the garden don't bother us. By the way, also thanks for the lizards! They eat, and help reducing, flies, mosquitos etc. I've never been disturbed by mosquitos in Pandanus (thanks to the lizards)!

After talking to other guests in the evening, taking the free shuttle bus to/from town etc. It's a dream going back to the apartment or bungalow (I've tried both!) for a lovely sleep. The rooms are well cleaned, comfortable and equipped with AC, coffee, tea, water, toothbrushes...you name it!

At last but not least...the staff! They are absolutely wonderful! They'll do anything for making your stay comfortable. I've never met so many friendly people in one place. The manager give them english lessons so they continuously learn english. They are easy to communicate with, so polite and very, very friendly!

Well, after a stay in Pandanus I was ready to go up in the Central Highlands for farm visits (and of course there was no problem for the staff to arrange with my bus tickets). Full of energy after a relaxing stay in Pandnus the trip to the Highlands was fantastic but the comfort was far away from the comfort I got in Pandanus (as I had imagined). So now I'm planning my third trip to Vietnam. This time I would like to fly to Hanoi, take the train down south (with some stops, and farm visits, one the way) and end up in Pandanus. Then I'll know I'll get a marvelous final of my third trip. If you ever go to Mui Ne, stay at Pandanus, that's my recommendation! Cecilia

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank seeyouagainVietnam
The Highlanders
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Four of us stayed at the Pandanus for six nights. We could not fault this hotel, or staff. Do not pay any attention to the bad reviews. We went for a relaxing break and got one. The beach was clean every time we went down and always had staff tidying up after you had gone. The poolside was wonderful, clean always. Rooms were clean & tidy, and yes Geyko's could be seen outside the rooms but they would be more scared of you. All staff were fantastic and very friendly and helpful. The resident band was great, and could sing anything. A mini bus was always available to take you into the market and collect you in the evening. All we can say is it was BRILL.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Scotsman068
New Delhi
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This will have to be the worst resort in Mui Ne. So bad that we canceled our planned 3 day stay and returned to HCMC one day early. There are so many problems with the resort that it might be tough writing it all here.

No doubt, the property is beautiful. The most lush gardens that we have seen any where but that is it.

First problem - For a beach resort, the beach itself is non existent. The shoreline with sand that is available is rough, filthy and full of live organisms (One crab got stuck to my wife's feet). They call it a private beach but we saw people on motor bikes riding on the beach. Very unsafe.

Second Problem - Extremely under powered air conditioning. Mui Ne is hot. Trust me, it is really hot. So what you want when you enter your room is air conditioning. We were given a cottage facing the ocean. It is a huge room with one split A/c unit. The air conditioning is so poor that even after 2 hours the room was hot. They don't have a fan that could help circulate the air either. I asked for a change of room and they obliged. They upgraded us to the Family Suite. They wanted US$30 more per night but I put my foot down so they agreed.

Third Problem -The family is suite is really a two bedroom apartment. Reminded me of Faulty Towers because nothing works. The furnishing is lousy and the living room very cramped. It is also quite a distant away from the shore so no breeze if you want to sit outside. The first thing we saw was a big wall lizard. The bathroom leaked and the doors to the balcony would not open. We were too tired for another shift so we decided to live with the creature. At least the air conditioning in the suite was better because there were three units (one in each room).

Fourth Problem - The worse was still to come. We went to the restaurant in the resort for dinner and could not believe our eyes! The place was full of cats. Not kidding - actual cats. These cats will sit near your feet and keep looking up to you for food. It may be a cool idea for some wild life enthusiasts or cat lovers, it was certainly not the case for us. We even saw one cat jump on the table next to ours where the guests had finished dinner and lick of the empty plate. By this time we have had enough and decided to change our reservation.

Fifth Problem: The Wi Fi signal is very weak in rooms. However, since they write about this in their manual I am not complaining a lot. Just a caution that you may have to walk in the harsh sun to get connected from a public area.

There are some good things if you still want to go. The garden is really lush and the pool is not bad. The service is also fair and prompt. The price of the food in the restaurant is very reasonable (better than any other resort in Vietnam) and if you are there look for a waitress called Wy. She is like a breath of fresh air. The breakfast is also fairly elaborate and the cats disappear in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank sumitsaran
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
I'm sorry that this guest felt it necessary to shorten his or her stay with us. However, I would like to address some of the concerns.

This guest states that our beach is non-existent. In reality, our beach is quite large and as clean as we can possibly make it. We rake the beach every morning at 06:00 and our landscape staff walk the beach to pick up anything that may wash ashore at least five times a day. It is true that there are sand crabs that live in the sand, as there are on most beaches around the world. As for the motorcycles that drive along the beach from time to time (perhaps ten in a twenty-four hour period), this is something that happens all over the country and we have tried to get the local police to stop them, but their response to us was that they can only ticket them if they are speeding(!?). Unfortunately , all beaches are owned by the Vietnamese government. We state that our beach is "relatively private", as we do not have to share it with lots of other resorts, but unlike other countries, there are no truly private beaches in Vietnam.

The air-conditioners in the bungalows are not "under-powered". However, like any equipment, they are sometimes not as strong as they should be and need to be serviced. We do attempt to service all of our air-conditioners regularly, but sometimes an air-conditioner may need servicing more often than on our regular schedule.

As for the gecko in the room, all I can say is that we are located within a ten hectare garden in the tropics. Anyone who travels through Southeast Asia knows that geckos are very common, especially in garden areas or away from cities.

This guest stated that he or she was unable to open the door to the balcony. Some guests are unaware that the lock on the balcony door does not allow the door to be opened from either the inside or the outside. Whenever we receive this complaint, it is because the guest has not unlocked the door.

We checked the suite this guest stayed in and we are not sure what "leaked" in the bathroom. We did not find any leak.

The cats this guest mentioned are wild cats that live around our resort. The reason that they go to our restaurant is that guests feed them. Whenever any of them seem to get too aggressive, like jumping up on a table, our staff try to catch them and take them a good distance away from the resort. Unlike dogs, they cannot find their way back. (Although we have been very lenient with our "wine and cheese cat", the one that has attended our wine and cheese reception for the past two years. Most of the guests really like this cat and feed her.)

This guest is correct about the wifi. However, we are in the process of upgrading the entire system so that there are no 'Blind spots'

As always, we are disappointed when guests do not enjoy their stay with us. We do all that we can to make guests happy and comfortable, but we cannot please everyone.
Brussels
Reviewed April 16, 2010

A great place after a busy travel programme. Plenty of things to do for all family or just switch off enjoying the beautiful pool and beach. The place is really well kept and the garden is so nice. Location is great not being in the mist of the turistic center of things but still with good local/authentic restaurants and service providers just around the corner. The schuttle service is also very handy and gets you to whereever you need on its main route.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
#8 of 124 in Phan Thiet
Anantara Mui Ne Resort
Anantara Mui Ne Resort
#10 of 124 in Phan Thiet

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!