“Nice place, nice hotel, but the services ....”
Review of Pandanus Resort

Pandanus Resort
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Mui Ne
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After consuming, tedious and very long bus trip from Saigon as you come to another world. Resort is at the end of town and is quiet here. Hotel has a beautiful and well-kept garden, nice rooms, amazing sea, excellent services are free shuttle bus for the base trips/sightseeing. I therefore think that the weaknesses that we encountered during your stay are useless and good management would have to handle.

Basic flaws - for Vietnam very overpriced restaurants and bars, the staff do not speak foreign languages ​​(we tried English, German, Russian - So I do not know which language can do, except Vietnamese), the resort is the large number of rats - they run around the pool and in the evening at the branches of palms (even able to climb from one palm to another).

At the pool there are 2 showers - two days one did not work, and the third day it repaired (exchange faucet) - I can not understand why it was not repaired the first night and why repair was carried out during the day, when there is a lot of relaxing clients. Overall, the staff at the pool is very annoying and unresponsive.

At second night began to flow from the air conditioner liters of water next to the bed - we are happy for manager named Ross, who only spoke English also and she was all stay very helpful for us. Otherwise, they wanted to carry out repairs at night and then during the next day - we did not paid holiday in a room that is repaired during our stay.

If you are benevolent or you have the nerve to tackle problems than you get good quality service for your money, so we recommend this resort :).

Room Tip: Accomodation in Villas is significantly more expensive, but very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank metropolisPRG
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Metropolis,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I would like to respond to a couple of your remarks.

With regards to the prices in our restaurants and bars, they compare favorably with almost every other four star hotel and resort in Vietnam, and are considerably lower than prices in four star hotels in Europe and the Czech Republic. If you are comparing our prices with those in the local restaurants on the street, then you are correct that they are higher. However, the quality of our food and our ambiance is much better than that in the restaurants and bars out on the street.

As I have mentioned previously, we do our best to teach English to the staff. We must hire from the local fishing community, which has not traditionally put a premium on education, so many of the local people have a minimal educational background. Some of our staff speak English quite well, however, while others need improvement. I'm sorry if they did not speak English as well as you would have liked.

Being adjacent to a fishing town, there are rats that come into the resort grounds from time to time. Although we do have traps around the resort that catch most of them, there is an occasional rat that is able to get through. However, there are very few of them that are not immediately caught by our security and landscape staff and I have never heard of a rat that is able to climb up a coconut palm tree. You must have seen some other type of animal or bird up in the trees.

I have checked with our maintenance manager about the outside shower. He said that it was repaired as soon as it was reported.

It is true that some of our air-conditioners are getting old and leak if not serviced constantly. Therefore, the owners have agreed to replace most of the air-conditioners before the end of this year. My apologies that the one in your room was not working properly.

Again, thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry if our prices and services did not meet with your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Pandanus Resort

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent a week at the resort, the staff was absolutely amazing, the food was diverse and incredible. The Blue Lagoon restaurant has an INCREDIBLE breakfast buffet. The Saturday night BBQ by the pool and beach, the beach itself, the rooms, cannot say enough positive things. Looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Stayed in the family suite, was plenty big, nice master with an open area in front with two twin bed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have only great things to say about Pandanus.....smiling staff, great breakfast and beautiful settings. I loved the cows on the beach and our happy hour at the pool!!! Yes it was a long drive from Ho Chi Minh City but I am glad we did the drive. I would definitely go back if it wasn't 20 hours of air flight!! (We went because we were in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks and wanted to spend a week relaxing, which we did!)
A great asset was Rossilini Yamba who was a sweetheart, very honest and knowledgable.
We did meet an swedish couple and a couple of girls from the UK who spoke English.
Just a note for the people who talk about the flying cockroaches....we have them in Canada...and call them June Bugs as they only come out in June!! Made us feel at home!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ama21
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed in Pandanus resort for 2 weeks .The resort and grounds were lovely and the room was excellent. Food was great too.One of the staff Miss Rossilyn was a great help and a asset to the hotel .She was very friendly and spoke very good english .The only down side was the trip to and from Saigon Airport which was 5 and a half hours.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tony p
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Pandanus Resort for 6 days to meet up with friends whilst I travelled in Vietnam. The resort was lovely and the junior suite I stayed in very spacious, the staff did their best considering their English was very limited and there wasn't an English speaking holiday rep in situ. Miss Rossilyn was very helpful and made the time in the resort a lot easier for us. Not sure if it was the time of the year but we found we were the only English people staying in the resort as at that time it was predominantly Russian and German visitors. Would I go back again? Probably not the 6 hour car journey from Ho Chi Minh airport at 10pm on a Sunday night was an experience I do not wish to repeat and the sheer volume of huge flying cockroaches dive bombing you as you ate (apparently they are seasonal) was enough to ensure I don't go back :-(

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank E14PUG
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us.

I'm sorry that you felt we only deserved three stars, however, as we make every effort possible to live up to our four star rating.

There are a couple of comments you made to which I would like to respond. The first was your comment that "...there wasn't an English speaking holiday rep in situ", followed by your praise for Ms. Roszlyn, our pr manager. I'm not quite sure what you meant by this as Roszlyn speaks excellent English. I am aware that you had a problem with a front office staff member who had been on the job for less than a week and who did not understand something you said. However, I believe that a more senior receptionist resolved the problem very quickly.

The comment about our clientele was not entirely correct. Although there were many more Germans and Russians than English guests during your stay, we did have other British nationals in the resort. Germany and Russia are our two largest markets, whereas the UK is our seventh largest market. Had you attended our daily wine and cheese reception, you would have had the opportunity to meet the other English guests.

The bugs that you called flying cockroaches are not cockroaches at all. Rather, they are coconut beetles. They have a one year life cycle. They live in the coconut trees around the resort and once a year, in April and May, they fly out of the trees and die. They exist in almost every tropical country that has coconut trees.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Fantastic Hotel, spotlessly clean. Beautifully kept hotel but now starting to show its age when compaired to some other hotels in the world. Colourful and well laid out and tended gardens. Great spacious pool. Lots of choice for breakfast. Good poolside café for lunch. Fantastic beach location. Some way from Mui Ne. But use the hotel shuttle bus to see some of the sites.
Rooms are large, but were are the draws, we were at the hotel for 11 days and found it an inconvenence not to be able to put small things like underware, and swimware in draws.
There is i think plenty of room for a small chest of draws.
Let me thank everyone from the Management down everone made us fell welcome

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the wonderful review. I hope you will return soon.

As for your comment concerning the drawers in the bedrooms, for the past seven years I have been trying to get the Vietnamese owners to understand the importance of drawer space to long-term foreign guests. Although closets are common in most traditional Vietnamese homes, they usually have little or no drawer space and clothes are often folded and stacked in plain view. Therefore, having more than one small drawer in a hotel bedroom is a concept that is foreign to older Vietnamese as they leave all of their clothes in their luggage when they travel. For this reason, many of the country's Vietnamese-owned hotels and resorts have minimal drawer space as it is not considered to be an important feature.

I hope that your comment will bring the message home. I will be sending a translated version to all of the owners.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Spent 2 weeks here in April with my husband and 5-year-old son. Premises and garden extremely well kept and very beautiful. Nice large pool - my kid LOVED it. Perfect resort location by the beach/sea. Clean rooms. We had a bungalow just by the pool, really worth the extra $.

SUPERB breakfast buffet and decent restaurant and pool bar. Lots of people (especially Russians) but never a crowded feel.

Friendly and helpful staff - who sometimes has a tough time speaking/understanding English though. Like the guy who showed up in our room and insisted to fix the bathroom door - although nothing was wrong with it. Totally impossible to explain he must have been sent to the wrong bungalow, ha ha :-)

You have to get a taxi/use the resort shuttle to get into "town" - Mui Ne and Ham Thien - but that's easy and taxis are waiting just outside.

The bungalow A/C was noisy and a bit hard to adjust so you may want to check on that, but that's really my only remark.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
#10 of 125 in Phan Thiet
The Cliff Resort & Residences
The Cliff Resort & Residences
#9 of 125 in Phan Thiet

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!