“All the charm of the Overlook Hotel from the Shining”

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Mui Ne
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Vast and white, like an enormous fridge that's been pushed onto its side by a belligerent giant, the Sailing Bay has the imprint of a designer who takes a utilitarian approach to accommodation, possibly with a background in heavy industry. Everything is big and impersonal; the wide, shiny corridors servicing the 200 odd rooms have all the allure of a private hospital, the rooms are the size of an entire flat, decked out like a show home. Service is enthusiastic but not necessarily efficient or accurate; a replacement kettle took 4 phone calls to procure whilst the front desk clerk enthusiastically informed us that we couldn't book tickets for the train to Nha Trang as it was full up. It turned out he meant the bus and was wrong about that anyway. Similarly, be warned it is *miles* from anywhere you would call a restaurant - about 3 in fact - so you'll need cabs to avoid dining in the mediocrity that is the hotel's (overpriced) restaurant. Bafflingly popular with the almost exclusively Russian speaking clientele which I can only prescribe to the Soviet style architecture. One of the few hotels where my heart sank the closer I got to it and noticeably lifted once we'd gone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Sailing_Bay_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Sailing Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2017

Dear Mr_notmyrealname,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I was saddened to read about the challenges you experienced during these days.

All we know that, the emotion of people will be effected by his/her favourite things or unwanted things, including the architecture and decor. What a pity in case you didn't like our resort's design.

At our resort, we always serve and provide the best services for all international guests from many countries over the world. This is our commitment and we try to meet the higher requirements from Discerning Guests day by day. We are really sorry for this as it made you feel uncomfortable.

Also, we seriously look into it and make suitable adjustment in order that this won’t make anyone feel intrusive.

Thank you again and best wishes for your future travels,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

First impression is good - the hotel is brand new. Check in is quick. However, there are a lots of things to complain.
1. Restaurant. We arrived quite late in the evening - around 8:00 PM and were looking forward to a good dinner (our booking is room plus breakfast and dinner). When we came to the restaurant, although we had presented the room key,we had to wait for a lady calling back reception to check if we were allowed to have meals. Then it came to the principal part. There was not any drinks available, even plain water. We asked and was replied that dinner "is for eating only, not any drinks are provided". We argued for some time, as I understood that I booked for dinner. Dinner does not mean food only - as I know of by any dictionary in the world. You know, I even was educated that it was my ignorance, that it is the same practice for any where in the world !!! (Sic!).
At last I quit my intention to discuss and had my "dinner".
Coming back tothe reception, I checked and was told that it was like that. I would like to cancel the booking for next day's dinner - which was of course not possible. Then I checked about the "Gala dinner" - another dinner which is "forcible" for any guest staying on the New Year's Eve, and was confirmed that drinks would be included.
Then on Gala Dinner - we were provided a "just like wine" glass (I said just like since I was not sure what it was - although alcoholic, but not surely it was real wine). Then drinks were provided - and drinks here meant plain water !!!. Can you imagine that ? with a price almost as expensive as the room charge and you are to pay should you like to have a beer or coke !!! Unbelievable !!!
2. The rooms. All seem new, but right on the arrival one of our door was not working with the key and we had to wait for fixing for half an hour. Then the glass door of the rest room could not be closed. Then the door beel did not work - firstly with one room then on the next day - for all rooms.
The house keepers made the room in a very "super fast" mode - which took less than 20 minutes for one room. We were not surprised to see all the dirst / dusts were still there, just be moved to another location.
3. The place. It is a little bit far from Mui ne center. Normally it took 150k VND by taxi to go oneway to where we could find some place buying some souvenirs as well as to find some place where they mean dinner is with drinks.

Nothing on earth could get us back to this place again - I know it for sure.

PS.
1. Just put down here what they advertise on their website for your reference. With room included dinner, they distinguish two types : half-board and full board. They explained to me on my second day that it was because my booking was half-board so no drinks were included. However, I could not find what is the difference (in dinner) between these two.
2. There are brochures everywhere in the hotel that during that festive season, meals are on buffet style with free flow of drinks (beers, alcohol, etc.), but no one could explain why we were not entitled for it.

===Quote ===
Full board for two (2) persons
Daily International breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Free use of mini bar including: one (1) Vietnamese Vodka, four (4) bottles of local beer,
four (4) cans of soft drinks and two (2) bottles of mineral water
Free foot massage for two (2) persons per stay for every six (6) nights stay
Free afternoon tea, coffee and finger food from 3.00 PM to 5.00 PM
Free resort souvenir gift upon checkout

Half board for two (2) persons

DHA - Dec 2013.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A D

Dear A D,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to relay your experience of The Sailing Bay Mui Ne Resort and for your honest feedback.

It's 2017 when I have read your reviews carefully. I was saddened to read about the challenges you experienced during these days. From now on, we have many changes in operating process if comparing to 2013_the time we had just started everything, it's also the time you visited.

All problems you complaint above, we overcame all of them. At The Sailing Bay Mui Ne resort we are very concerned about guest satisfaction and comfort, I’m really sorry that we didn’t manage to please you despite all our efforts.

Please accept our sincere apologize for all the inconveniences and be rest assured that I have already put in place the corrective action. Your comments are valued and would help us to improve for the future.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in The Sailing Bay Mui Ne and I am looking forward to personally welcoming you back on your next visit to Mui Ne.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Initial impressions were fantastic. Check-in was prompt and efficient. We had the ocean view room, with very good size balcony which extended out to stunning views. Even better was being able to step out onto the beach when we wanted to. Being a new resort, we would have expected this much.

However there are a few flaws with this beautiful resort:

1. Although we were well aware of the distance away from the bustle, we enquired into options to hire a scooter as per the hotel guest services book. But we were turned away with "No we cannot help you", and said that we had to go about working this out ourselves. We left a little confused as if this was not a service that was on offer, then I'd suggest to update the guest services book to take this option out.

2. Given the secluded location of this resort, we would have also expected the hotel staffs to be able to assist with information as to how to get about, and also direct us to a few options that we could take. Particularly when we enquired into car transfer services for us to get to a train station on our check-out day. Again, there were at least 4 staffs in attendance at the front desk, but were all not very helpful. They responded with again, "Sorry we don't know no options. We cannot help you." So again, we were left to our own devices to sort out.

3. Our laundry was checked-in with the resort well before 10am, and promised to have it back the same day or at the latest, the following morning. We came back the next evening, and had to go to the front desk to follow up, and only then at did they bring it down for us.

4. The pool is large and great! Only let down here is that there is never any pool towels available. Doesn't matter what time of the day you go. We attempted to ask for pool towels for 2 days, in the afternoon and early morning, and also met with "Sorry, we're out of towels", so we gave up and used the bathroom towels.

5. Agree with a previous review, the gym is not quite finished yet either. There is no towels or air-con, and there seems to be trash just placed into a feature on the wall.

6. Breakfast had an ok range and average.

Overall, beautiful resort. Secluded location if that's what you're after. We can see that this place is trying, but doesn't quite tick the 5 stars for us, as we would have expected the staff to at least be knowledgeable and overall service to be consistent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Sailing_Bay_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Sailing Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2017

Dear Kman_syd,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on TripAdvisor and share your thoughts.

I've read your review carefully and I was saddened to read about the challenges you experienced during these days. From now on, 2017, we have many changes in operating process if comparing to 2014_the time we had just started everything, it's also the time you visited.

We changed all policies that fit all points you shared with us, such as:
- Extending the restaurant menu with many new dilicious dishes.
- Providing the beach towels at the swimming pool for guests.
- Transfering free for Guests twice in one day by complimentary shuttle Bus from resort to famous locations in Mui Ne.
- Upgrading and replacing the GYM equipments.
- And more...

I am so sorry that your last impression of our resort was so negative. Improving the services continuously is our entire staff’s pleasure and goal to make your holiday as much relaxing and comfortable as you deserve it.

I appreciate the feedback on areas which you felt we can improve and we will use it to enhance our guest experience. I hope that we can welcome you back to The Sailing Bay Mui Ne again in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Upon arrival a stunning hotel. Check-in was prompt. Room very nice ( need to be on min 2nd floor) but lacks in simple things like plug sockets & drawers! The pool is very nice n big but needs a shower facility nearby as the the water had become murky due to people going in with sun cream on etc. food is very good -only had 1 'ok' meal out of 4 days! Staff very friendly but really need to have more that speak & understand english more than there is. Concierge service was poor. 3 occasions went to see them ,twice told not available & the other time had to speak over a phone to them.....which lasted 1 min as he didn't understand!! Not great location but depends what you want out of your stay,fine for us! Gym-useless,no air con just a fan!
However, I feel the bad reviews on here are very harsh! The hotel is really trying but personally it doesn't tick all the boxes for a 5star yet but shouldn't be disregarded!

Room Tip: Min 2nd floor for good views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa M

Dear Lisa M,

Thank you for your detailed review.

While I am glad to learn that you have had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with The Sailing Bay, I am quite concerned to read that your experience with the concierge.

I sympathize with your disappointment at your problems. With the new policies in 2017 for the new process in serving the tourists, we are trying to improve the English of the staff by opening and updating the English for all of our staffs.

From 2016, we also have the Complimentary Shuttle Bus Schedule to key locations in Phan Thiet, Mui Ne to help save time and money for customers when they would like to go to the Centre.

We all look forward to your future visits to our Resort and we would be happy to show case all the upgrades that we are constantly under taking.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The resort is brand new. Location is very good, a walking distance to the Mui Ne village, restaurants and red sand dunes (around 2 km). The beach on this side of Mui Ne village is 100% better. It is wide, calm and cleaner than anywhere else. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Most of them facing the beach. Probably better view from the higher floors. Staff very friendly and helpful. When I hurt myself they have appeared immediately without even noticing them. The dinner is very good, we had 5 course menu so you have a chance to try different dishes. The breakfast buffet is very reach and tasty. Beautiful poolside and big swimming pool. The only minus is the lack of air con in fitness centre and it is not well maintained. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank L0velyb0y
The_Sailing_Bay_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Sailing Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2017

Dear L0velyb0y,

Thank you indeed for relaying such a positive review of your recent stay at the The Sailing Bay Mui Ne Resort!

The Entire Team joins me in thanking you for the kind words you have written about the Resort and it's Services. We are proud of your appreciation about the room, pool, restaurant and beach.

Beside that, I've note your feedback carefully about the equipments of fitness centre. In 2017, we have the plan to upgrade the GYM and every training equipment will be replaced the new ones.

We look forward to your next visit as we would be most happy to show you all the changes we are undertaking and our service that you have appreciated.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Location:

We arrived by bus at the bus office at Mui Ne town. It took us about 10 minutes by metered taxi (130,000 vnd) to get to the resort.

Getting to Mui Ne town:

Shuttle is only available for two trips each way per day. Not very convenient.

Bicycles are available at 80,000 vnd per day. They should be free given the inconvenience of getting to town.

It would be a long walk to the main tourist area.

Check In:

Check in was efficient. They knew who we were on arrival.

We sent an email prior to our arrival prior to arrival. It was acknowledged but not acted upon.

We asked to change rooms due to noisey neighbours. They were very helpful and tried to meet our needs. We were moved to a quieter room which was also closer to the beach. Staff member (Twee?) was lovely and patient.

Room:

Room was really nice. Large with good sized balcony. Bathrooms have glass walls through to bedroom but with the option to close with blinds. Bathroom is a good size with bath and separate shower with a choice of two shower heads. Basic toiletries were supplied.

We were on the first floor in an ocean view room. Unfortunately most of our sea view was blocked by a large palm. I would recommend rooms on the second floor as they have larger balconies and unobscured views.

Food:

We arrived mid afternoon. We had not had any lunch so were keen for a snack. At the restaurant the only menu available was the 'room service' menu. When we asked for a snack menu we were advised they didn't have any other menu's, but they soon offered us a club sandwich (130,000 vnd each) which was tasty.

Breakfast and dinner were included in our rate. Meals were buffet style.

The first night we went to dinner at about 7.45pm. Food was sparse, cold and tasteless. It was not refreshed in the time we were there.

Breakfast was a limited, standard fare. There were so many flies that we did not feel happy eating the food left out.. We tried the noodle soup and the omlette. Both were okay.

The second night we went to dinner early hoping the food was better fresh. Again the limited selection of food was well below average.

This is by far the worst food we have had in 5 weeks of travelling. Absolutely horrible.

Finally dinner was uncomfortable due to numerous rats running around on the grass and along the edge of the open air restaurant. I know they are present everywhere but I prefer not to see them running around when I am eating.

At dinner we saw the 'chef' sitting at a table smoking and chatting. He seemed completely uninterested in the food being presented.

There does not seem to be any easily accessible restaurants for meals in the near vicinity and no shuttle is provided in the evening so there is few options.

Facilities:

The fitness room was hopeless. We went prior to 8am. It is in a small conservatory type room which was like a sauna. There was no air conditioner, no towels, no water, no music. The equipment is limited and lightweight. We went for a run instead. It has a great view over the pool to the beach though.

The beach is nice with fine sand, and good sun shelters and loungers. There are a lot of fishing boats in the bay which makes it very picturesque.

The pool is great although there is silt on the bottom even when it has just been cleaned. There are plenty of loungers and sun umbrellas by the pool.

Internet access was free, and we could get good access in the restaurant and by the pool, but access from our room was weak and kept dropping off.

Service:

Most of the staff are trying really hard to please, and will only improve with training and experience.

Conclusion

Although a nice hotel with a lot of potential there are a lot of things that need improving.

The distance from town and limited shuttle service is a major issue.

The food is horrible.

We moved to The Anantara in Phan Thiet which is a beautiful resort in a better location.

I would recommend staying in a more established resort in a better location at this time.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the second floor for large balconies and unobstructed views
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Oponz
TheSailingBayVN, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Sailing Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for your review of The Sailing Bay Beach Resort.

We have taken into consideration all of your valuable feedback and assure you we are in the process of rectifying all the early teething problems that come with a newly opened resort.

You may be happy to know that we now have a fantastic new chef on board and making immediate and significant improvements to the restaurant/dining experience at the resort.

The location of the resort is on the more secluded beachfront of Mui Ne where the beaches are generally much cleaner, and offers guests a reprieve from the congested beach strip in the city. As the resort is approximately a 10-minute ride from the city, we are looking into ways to make it more convenient for our guests to commute.

We are confident that these improvements along with the launch of our new professional kite-surfing school in November will bring wonderful experiences and fond memories for our guests.

We hope to welcoming you back to the resort in the future and making your next stay with us beyond your expectations.

Quyen Anh
Director of Sales & Marketing
Mui Ne, Vietnam

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Construction is in its final stages but opening date is uncertain. It would be better to wait till it is opened or book for "early bird" discounts once the soft opening date is announced. The location is at the end of the road on the Cape of Mui Ne bay (near Mui Ne Beach Resort) and being a windy spot, the beach is popular with kite boarders.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank John W
TheSailingBayVN, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Sailing Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to receiving more soon!

We are delighted to let you know that The Sailing Bay Beach Resort is now fully operational and it looks gorgeous!

We have launched the "Hideaway Promotion" which runs until 31 October where you get to enjoy an additional night stay for free if you book at least 3 nights with us (terms and conditions apply).

From November the resort will be home to KNS (Kite-N-Surf) school run by veteran Mui Ne surfing pro, Rob Kidnie. So expect a lot of fun and excitement coming up in water sports exclusively at the resort!

Thanks for your support and we hope to see you at the resort again soon.

Ms Quyen Anh