“Beautiful View and Culinary Delights!”

Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Batchawana Bay
Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful View and Culinary Delights!”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

My family and I did a road trip to Lake Superior and The Lake Shore Sazburger Hof Resort was one of our stops for a couple of nights. What can I say - we loved it! This is a family run business and the small touches are what made our experience all the more memorable. Ann was a lovely host who made us feel very welcome as did her daughter and son-in-law who served us in the restaurant (what a treat!). What made this my children's favourite spot was the tennis court, basketball net, outdoor shuffle board, and the availability of board games and cards they could ask for at the front desk. My 12 year old son was particularly impressed when Ann told him that she was making homemade jam for the breakfast the next morning. The view off Batchawana Bay is beautiful and you can grab a lounge chair and chill for the afternoon if you wanted to. They offer you free passes to three provincial parks which you can use anytime. We ventured to nearby Panckake Bay for a quick dip in the water (CHILLY WATER!!!) and Lake Superior Provincial Park for some fantastic hiking! The rooms are dated but I honestly think that's what made this stay even more fun. We stayed in the motel suite which gave us a bedroom with two beds and a living room with tv, couch, table and chairs. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the propane heater gave it a rather authentic, old school feel. If you decide to stay here make sure you eat dinner in the restaurant at least once! WOW! The menu is authentic Austrian fare and everything we ordered was wonderful! Portion sizes were huge and the service was excellent. Ann's daughter and husband served us and they were attentive, informative and happy. We also ate breakfast in the Club Gazebo. Pancakes or french toast piled high with fresh fruit is a must! <3

Room Tip: Wifi is free in the Gazebo but if you get the room motel suite closest to the Gazebo you can still u...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank HJen11
karenBatchawanaBay, Manager at Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
What can I say! Thank-you for that wonderful review with all of the detail about the resort. We are proud of our restaurant and the Austrian/German cuisine we serve. Sylvia and Army love interacting with the guests. Yes! they are always smiling. And Ann, my mother, makes the best jams with lots of berries or peaches depending on the season. This region is so beautiful and we love to share it with everyone. Next time swim off of the Batchawana Bay Park with shallower warmer waters. We look forward to seeing you again as you visit with us on this spectacular coastline of Lake Superior!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Richmond, Kentucky
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Excellent location with great views of the lake, lots of flower gardens and window-boxes make for a relaxing atmosphere with old world charm. Good food in restaurant - the fresh fruit on the pancake breakfast is not to be missed. Anne, the owner, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were clean and large, bathrooms spotless. I felt right at home. A+

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James W
Timmins
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We had the pleasure of renting one of the large 3 cabins with family and many friends and family rented rooms in the hotel portion of the resort. The view of Lake Superior was gorgeous, especially at sundown. We had a nice fire pit and back deck to laze around and visit with family and friends. The cabin was very comfortable, a nice fireplace, cozy furniture. One master bedroom downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs and a 2 piece bathroom. The kitchenette had a full size fridge with freezer. We enjoyed eating at the Salburger Hof restaurant while there. (See separate review). We are looking forward to returning again next year.

Room Tip: There are a couple cabins, but they rent out quickly.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison R
Ontario
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife had a retirement party for me July 12, 2014 at Lakeshore Resort. Karen and her staff put on a wonderful meal for our 40 plus friends and family. The band Midlife Crysis played and kept us dancing till after midnight. A lot of our friends had never been to this resort and they were very happy with the entire experience. Many have said that they will be back to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and hospitality. The Friday night fish fry was out the this world, the fish was so fresh and the way the food was prepared was perfect.

My wife and I have been coming here for almost 30 years. The drive from Sault Ste. Marie is beautiful in all the seasons but I look forward to the spectacular Fall colors and Bavarian Night . You must have reservations and the three nights book up fast.

The Salzburgerhof is my Favorite restaurant. I eat here whenever I can. They just make it right.
If you want more information email me . drancourt@shaw.ca

Dave Rancourt

Room Tip: I prefer a motel room when there is just my wife and me but there are house keeping rooms if you wan...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dave Rancourt
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I did the lake Superior motorcycle tour. We found this accommodation listed in a review from someone else who had done the same ride. The rooms are dated but are clean. The resort is a few minutes off hwy 17 but well worth the trip. Each room looks out over the lake. It is vert quite and relaxing. The rooms are like your own private cottage. Both a front and back door and sitting areas outside or walk their private grounds. There is a fire pit area, bbq's, horseshoes and outdoor shuffleboard. We had dinner ib the restaurant and the food was excellent. Even if not staying at the resort I highly recommend this restaurant. The dishes are austrian/german. I had goulash and my husband had cabbage rolls, both were delicious. The owners are very nice and friendly and answered any questions and took time to talk to everyone. Prices for the accommodation are reasonable as is the food for the quality and quantity. We highly recommend this resort and will definitely stay again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 229Kathy_901
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After a long winter it was great to get away and visit our friends at Lake Shore. Even though the snow was melted there were still a few icebergs on the bay, which turned out to be a great opportunity to observe bald eagles as they rested on the ice! Karen, Sylvia and their husbands are working hard on renovating some of the rooms and things are looking great. Thank you to all at the resort for always making our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank fishingprincess
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I were on a motorcyle tour of Lake Superior in August,let me begin by saying we a business owners, well travelled and are in the hospitality business ourselves.We arrived to find out we did not get the room we specifically booked and were told we had to give it to someone else.Why bother with a reservation then?Secondly we were told the restaurant was very busy and we would have to wait a few hours which was fine by us.When we finally went for dinner we found the restaurant less than half full and it took 30 minutes to get our salads to start after that we asked several times where was our meal?That took another hour to get to our table after the salad.By this time we were both very disappointed after wahaving to ask where our food was and they seemed very confused.After our experience in the dining room I went to the office to discuss our disappointment i was told " You are tired from riding your motorcyle alll day" I explained i own several restaurants and stay in hotels all the time on our travels and have never been told I am tired and shouldn't be complaining. They clearly have no idea about customer service and do not care. Just a note we stayed in 6 more hotels in Ontario.Minnesota,Wisconsin,Michigan all of which would put this hotel to shame! and were similar prices with superior service.This is a 1 star faciltity at best with no star magagement DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bobdeb9
Karen V, Manager at Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
I apologize for the negative experience while staying with us. The only reason we change reserved rooms would be if a guest already staying with us requested another day added to their reservation. The new room charge would be as previously quoted even in a larger/upgraded room.
I have addressed your comment about the waiting time in the restaurant with my head hostess to make sure that this does not happen again. She is very professional in her interaction with our guests. We seriously consider all comments and make the necessary improvements to insure our guests a great vacation experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batchawana Bay
#1 of 2 in Batchawana Bay
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort? Share your experiences!