“Not good if you want a sofa bed”

Clarion Suites Near the Woodlands
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Shenandoah
Reviewed July 6, 2009

First the good points:

Nice lobby, friendly staff and a microwave and refrigerator in rooms.

Now the not so good:

Once away from the lobby the decor is not so inviting. In the corridors, the carpet is worn and frayed, walls have lots of dents and damage and the carpets didn't look very clean (they may have been, but the shabby and frayed appearence gave the impression of not being clean). The room we had was not as badly knocked around, but still suffered from a tired look.

We checked in at 9:30pm after long travel with youngsters and the air con in the room was off when we moved in. This is the Houston area at the height of summer..... It took a hour to get the room down to a comfortable sleeping temperature. There were very few people staying (it was 4th July weekend so the quietness was a surprise) so maybe they have aircon off in rooms to save money?).

The 'deal breaker' for us was the poor state of the sofa bed. We specifically book rooms to get a sofa bed to enable us to seperate our two children. This was the worst sofa bed that we have ever tried to use (and we've seen plenty in 3 star hotels over four years of travelling with young kids). The matress was very thin and worn and you could feel every coil in it. It was unacceptable to use as a bed and we had to put both kids in together.

The air conditioning (once 'going) was noisy. It was difficult to get our kids to settle in the same bed, in a hot room with noisy air conditioning going.

I can't really recommend this hotel if you are traveling with kids, especially if you need the sofa bed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 28, 2009

I have stayed at quite a few hotels around the US, rarely do you find such a peaceful lobby upon entering a nice, but affordable hotel. There are comfortable sofas, flower arrangements, beautiful lamps, and a small water feature which make the first impression quite nice. The employees are very kind and make the experience nice. This hotel works hard to provide bright and welcoming service all around. After just a few minutes in the room, I warmed up and felt very comfortable. The rooms are cozy and the beds are comfortable. It is a nice hotel where they will give you one-on-one attention to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
They offer a nice free breakfast, a couple of nights a week they have dinner such as pizza for free as well. The internet is high speed and works well:) I live in the area, and they are very conveniently located to anything you want to do here. Minutes away from lots of popular restaurants!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This hotel was amazing. Great staff, great features, and at a great value. The hotels in the area were about a hundred bucks more than Comfort Suites, so I made the decision initially for value. However, it turned out to be much more than that.

The internet was certainly high-speed. I had some slow wireless internet, but the staff worked with me and fixed the problem. I ended up using the hard-wire provided in the room and got really high-speed service.

The staff was incredible! Really friendly and really helpful, they directed me to several excellent restaurants in the area and even printed maps for me. The head manager was extremely nice.

It's in a great location too - right in The Woodlands. One minute from the mall, market street, and great restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2009

The hotel plasters the web with claims of: 'high speed internet'. This is a lie. The speed is between 11 to 22 mbps. That's 'b' technology. High speed is 'g' or 'n' technology, 'g' was released waay back in mid 2003.

Instead of listening and putting me in touch with the person responsible for their false advertising, the General Manager talked over me and ignored my polite repeated requests. Unbelievable!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
comfort88, Manager at Clarion Suites Near the Woodlands, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

Mr. BiztravelOZ Called our hotel at around 2:30 am this morning, stating he wants to make a reservation on line for our hotel. and specially request us to find out what is our High Speed Internet Speed and who is the person in charge of Advisering. We called our charter Business Cable High Speed Internet provider couldn't get hold of them, I called him back to the phone no he provided me with Los Angeles 323 area code. couple minutes later give him estimate speed from our 24 Hours Internet Tech support team. Let him know if he like I would found out from our High Speed Cable Internet provider tomorrow . He insist that he needs to speak with the person who incharge of our Advertising, that we are make false advertising that our hotel does not have high speed internet. And he will make a comment on the trip adviser.

I contact Charter High Speed Internet provider today, I was informed that our hotel has Chareter Business High Speed Cable Internet Service.

I certainly would like to invite that Mr. BiztravelOZ actully come visit or stay in our hotel then give us proper suggestion regarding our High Speed Internet Service. If there is anything we can do to improve our service. We certainly would try our best to do it. Guest's Satisfation is always our hotel's fist priority! Guest's experience and suggestions are always greatly appreciated!

Reviewed May 6, 2008

The hotel staff is well-meaning and friendly. Room houskeeping is very good.

Poor room lighting, mildew smells from the antiquated A/C units which are equally noisy, patchwork repairs on hotel room fixtures make everything look worse; dingy/gray towels and especially the sheets; dated and dented furniture, but new carpet in some rooms-although trim work not completed in 2 rooms (2-3rd floors).

Parking lot and surrounding areas not well-maintained; Food is questionable; lots of highway noise.

They either need to spend a lot of money and properly update this hotel or close it down because it is in need of an overhaul.

High speed access and frig in rooms - nice features.

Great staff! Management is fortunate to have them.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
comfort88, Public relation manager at Clarion Suites Near the Woodlands, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2008

I am very concerned about the review you wrote regarding our hotel. I would like to let you know we value your opinion very much. I am sorry that you did not address the issue with us during your stay.

Our hotel recently uderwent a complete renovation, All of our guest rooms have travertine tile floors, beautful granite coffee bars, designer pattern carpet etc. I would appreciate it if you could let me know which of the two rooms you stayed in so that we can have the room repaired properly.

Our hotel accomodates many guests every day. We have large numbers of repeat guests. We have received many compliments on our hotel amenitiies and services; especially the breakfasts Every day we serve a complimentary full hot breakfast with eggs, sausages, biscuits, gravy, fresh orange juice, apple juice, bagels, yourgert. We also make fresh waffles and more. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening we also have a complimentary manager's receiption where we serve drinks, salad and hot food.

Every month we have many wedding parties, family reunions, school teams, business travelers as well as leisure travelers. I am sorry that you were not satisfied during your stay.

I would like to extend my complimentary invitation for you to stay with us again. Please give us another chance to demonstrate our high level of quality service and hotel amenities. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments , we value your opinion very much.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 2, 2007

I was very pleased with my stay at The Comfort Suites. The hotel staff was A++++++. The hotel is currently being remodeled (I read the previous comment) We enjoyed the FULL Breakfast the most! Also we stayed on a Tuesday and they had a small reception in the lobby which included food and drinks at no additional cost to us. I will stay here again on my next visit and I am sure the remodeling will be completed.

I didnt use the workout room but enjoyed the pool.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 28, 2006

The Comfort Inn near the Woodlands is a nice hotel. Although I remember when the hotel was built almost 6 year ago, my most recent visit shows it's quickly becoming dated. A modest renovation can bring this hotel up to 2006 standards. Don't be fooled by the exercise room...it just contains 2 cardo machines....no free weights or weight machines.

Stayed: September 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shenandoah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston - Woodlands
La Quinta Inn - The Woodlands North
Days Inn Shenandoah TX
Days Inn Shenandoah TX
#3 of 7 in Shenandoah

Been to Clarion Suites Near the Woodlands? Share your experiences!