“AWFUL PLACE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“AWFUL PLACE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

will never ever be going again what a waste of money,the animals are kept in awful conditions its so run down and not looked after. There were no staff anywhere we were in there 15 mins teriible place and soooo dirty.

Visited December 2012
9 Thank emma b

Ashford, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Disgusting animal conditions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Can't believe the dirty and run down conditions that the poor animals are having to live in the chicken coops were the worst with chicken poo everywhere all the coops hadn't looked like they have been cleaned out for months the whole farm looked run down no staff were seen anywhere apart from in the cafe serving meals etc need to spend more time on caring for the animals the rabbits and smaller animals were in cages far to small for them come on staff at melsop buck your ideas up look after these poor animals that don't deserve to be treated like this

Visited October 2012
14 Thank Teresa P
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A great family day out, whatever the weather!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was very impressed recently when I took a trip to this lovely family run farm park. The park is very reasonably priced and provides a great variety of activites to do depending on the weather.

My children really enjoyed being able to pet the baby goats and the chicks. It was lovely to be able to go to a farm park and let the children actually experience being around animals and have such close encounters with them. For children that have little contact with animals, this park provides the oppourtunities for unique experiences to be made.

This park also demonstrates a great selection of animals, many of which are rare breeds. My children particulary enjoyed seeing the Ouessant sheep which we learnt are the smallest sheep breed in the world! They really are tiny! The children also really enjoyed seeing a variety of animals including more exotic ones such at the tapir, llamas and the reindeers.

It is quite a feat to be able to display such a great variety of animals to the public that are all immaculately cared for. However, after talking to the son of the owners it is obvious that this is possible due to the evident commitment to the care of animals of the family that own and run the farm park.

The staff were all very helpful and knowledgeable, and were even able to answer my childrens' very abstract questions! The staff we met engaged with the public well and were very friendly and obviously experienced at coping with children!

Other outdoor facilities include an exciting play area (with trampoline and sandpit) which my children could have spent forever playing on!

If the weather is poor there is an indoor play area with slides etc. which also has lots of toys such as ride on tractors for the children to play with. Whilst the children played, we enjoyed a drink from the Cafe which also sells a variety of food hot and cold for lunch all at very reasonable prices!

I would definitely suggest this attraction to those with children and those interested in different breeds of animals. Melsop Farm Park offers a great day out in a beautiful country setting with so many different areas to keep children and adults entertained for the whole day!

Visited August 2012
6 Thank A S
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“How not to treat animals. Horrible place with rude owners.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I took my daughter and grandchildren out for the day last Wednesday and on our way home visited Melsop Farm. I have heard it advertised on the radio many times, and both my daughter and I thought it would be a nice treat.

Sadly it turned out to be everything but a treat.

It started well, my grandchildren aged 7 and 3 loved the play area, and we were all looking forward to seeing the animals. Our first sight of the animals was the rabbit and guinea pig shed. As we all went in the owners son was standing grooming a sheep on a stand with its head in a headlock. I assumed that the sheep was going to be shown.
As I looked around at the cages, I could not believe what I was seeing. Cage upon cage of over crowded rabbits and guinea pigs. The cages were small, dark and smelly with far far too many animals to each cage, with their water bottles filthy and lined in algae. When I told the owners son that I thought the conditions and overcrowding were awful, he just said "well we were inspected by the RSPCA yesterday, and they were happy". He would not engage in a proper conversation, or discuss my concerns. Later on when I returned to the shed, the owners son told me that if the rabbits were allowed outside, they would get myxomatosis. Well, if you cant afford to get the rabbits inoculated for myxomatosis, you shouldn't have them.

We left the rabbit shed, and moved next door to where some rabbits and guinea pigs shared large pens. This is much more acceptable, but still they have no access to outside.
As we then went around the rest of the animals, my daughter and I were in tears. My daughter keeps chickens, and she and I were appalled at what we saw. The rows and rows of chicken coops, some with too many large chickens in, some with none in at all. None of the occupied coops had any food, water yes. We passed a pen with a lone brown turkey? It was pacing up and down the fence all the time. When we looked into the coop, the entrance was full of broken eggs.
When we went in to the chicken incubator building, there was no staff present, and visitors were squeezing baby chicks, and knocking and dropping them around, some of the babies had been dropped outside their enclosures and were distressed as people tried to grab them. There were other enclosures in the building which contained larger chickens, some of them were so tatty and sore from pecking. All these creatures have feelings, if you hurt them they feel just like us, and if they are neglected, then those people are guilty of abusing them!

Establishments like this should be setting an example of how animals should be kept and treated. Is it any wonder that so many people and children abuse animals when they are seen in these conditions,.

These people should be so ashamed of themselves, there is nothing good to be said about the condition of the entire establishment.

I am a farmers daughter, being born and brought up on a dairy farm. I understand farming and the keeping of livestock, and I have always had a great love and respect for rabbits and guinea pigs - in fact every creature that we share our planet with.

I asked the owner if she thought her rabbits and guinea pigs were well housed three times before you could say yes.

I suggest her son's time would be better spent looking after the animals instead of grooming a sheep that might get him another cup! He also needs to learn how to handle the general public when they start asking embarrassing questions. He seems to think he knows everything there is to know about the keeping of animals - it will be a big shock to him when he realises he doesn't. He needs to learn humility and compassion! When the owners son escorted me to meet the owner, he left the sheep he was grooming on its stand. There was also a young girl cleaning out some of the hutches with a pitch fork while the guinea pigs were still in their cage; a baby nearly fell out! Why didnt she put the occupants of the cage she was cleaning out into one of the empty cages? and why were the cages not disinfected? What training has she had?

I do not agree with their chicken coops. However, some of those poor chickens in the incubator building would be better housed in some of the empty coops, and surely (unless their lone turkey is sick) a few chickens keeping it company would be an improvement. There are not many animals that like to live in solitary conditions.

I suggest also that they stop breeding! If visitors cant see babies all the time, someoe has to explain that it is irresponsible to allow animals to continually breed when there is no room for them. BE RESPONSIBLE!

It breaks my heart to think that they are being so cruel to so many animals. None of them ask anything of them except to be housed and fed as near to their natural habitat as possible. Their life to them is just as important as ours is to us. They didn't ask to be bred in captivity in poor conditions, but these people have allowed it. The owner told me that people bring in their rabbits and guinea pigs because they don't want them any more. This is all very admirable of them, but they are just going from the frying pan into the fire. Take them to the RSPCA!

All of their outside pens are in a poor run down state, with junky areas. In fact if they cant afford to look after their farm and animals properly, they should do them all a favour, and either let someone else do it, or get out of the business.

Finally , I took a very dim view of the fact that the owner physically pushed my granddaughter out of the door before slamming it on us. Again this is down to respect, or lack of it on her behalf, but then one only has to walk around their establishment to see there is no respect for the animals they are keeping.

Take a look at the photos.

Vanessa Taylor

Visited August 2012
25 Thank Vanessa T
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Awful animal conditions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I enjoy zoos and farm parks- but not like this. The first thing we came across was a crammed full barn of breeder cages, full of rabbits and guinea pigs. Anyone with a little animal welfare knowledge knows that rabbits need 50 sq feet minimum living space. The owners are breeding these animals indiscriminately, without thoughts on how to care for them. There was NO WATER in some and no hay on any. Complained and told I was an 'animal activist' and they wouldn't be any happier in larger cages. Shocking that people would allow their children to view this then write good reviews. I left in tears.

15 Thank BlkThistle