“A great place to stay and to eat”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have been regular business traveller to the Calderdale area for many years and have tried lots of the local pubs, hotels and B&B's but in recent months The Hobbit has definitely become my first choice. The rooms are competitively priced but are spacious, clean, well furnished/equipped (including free wi-fi) and most importantly large comfy beds! There is a really nicely styled modern/rustic lounge area adjacent to the bar with large sofas - perfect for a pre-dinner drink or post dinner relax. The menu has a really good range of food on offer which is always well-presented and served with a friendly smile. I have always found the staff to be friendly, attentive and engaging. The drive up from Sowerby Bridge is up steep and narrow roads but worth it for the impressive view across the Calder Valley.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front have great views across the valley but would have more road noise, rooms to the r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had my 30th birthday party at the New Hobbit last night and it was fabulous. From start to finish the service was excellent and would like to give a special thank you to Louise. My family and I also stayed over in the hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the rooms. We had a family room and it was very spacious and comfortable. We all had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was a buffet and there was plenty to choose from and was replenished regularly.
I would definitely recommend the New Hobbit for a function, meal and overnight accommodation. Thank you for making my birthday party so memorable.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight at the New Hobbit as my sister was holding her 30th party there.
The staff were really friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough for us.
The room was great and had everything we needed.
Food was fantastic and I'd definitely recommend holding a function there!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My partner and I spent a day and a night there. Got the parents to watch the kids overnight so we were hoping for something nice as we don't get many chances!

First up, the room we got had no heating (the radiators didn't work), we asked about this and were shown some hot air blowers to use! We thought perhaps we wouldn't need them anyway so went with it ..needless to say, we did and it wasn't ideal.

Next, the evening meal..

I ordered the burger! ..the description suggested it was all home made, my artner orderd the salmon.

The food came and I took one look at the burger and new it was a pressed/frozen one. I tasted it and I can only describe it as the kind you would get from a burger van with little 'beef' taste at all. The salmon was very small and on a tiny bed of peas.

I couldn't eat the burger and sent it back, I was offered something else but by then, the meal was over (partner had eaten the salmon). I was given a refund and a free drink for the trouble.

The night passed..it was very noisy. The walls are stud partitioned with minimal sound proofing so if you're expecting a cosy quiet night, you're not going to get one. The bathroom is more of a gesture than a bathroom, very very small.

Breakfast..the 3 croissants that were in a bowl were all stale. The selection of fruit consisted of a tin of peaches. I ordered scrambled eggs on toast, which was OK but a little cold, except for the plate which was very hot. Perhaps they expected the plate to heat the eggs?

All in all, quite a poor experience and not what we were hoping for.

Room Tip: Check the radiators and the sound proofing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve F
TheNewHobbit, Owner at The New Hobbit, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Steve F

Having checked our records , you stayed with us on the 1st of February , so it is a little bewildering why it has taken you such a long time to come up with so many negative comments . Perhaps your a man utd fan ? Did your numbers come up in the lottery but you can't find your ticket ? It might have rained on the 1st of Feb , we are happy to accept responsibility for that too if it helps.

We pride ourselves on customer service and offering a fantastic customer experience across the board. And we do hope that people leave happy . As you can see from over 90% of our previous reviews that is the case.

And the customer is always right ! Unless they are wrong . In this case we don't use frozen meat or fish and the burgers are hand moulded and produced by our local butcher . We get daily deliveries of both meat and fish so there is simply no need to freeze anything.

The walls are not stud partition , almost every single wall in the building is solid stone .

Some of the bathrooms are small but brand new , almost every bathroom has a bath and a shower and has been perfectly suitable for the previous 2600 people who have stayed in them.

Our cooked breakfasts are something we pride ourselves on but again here it seems you have found a fault in the temperature of our scrambled eggs. We have made some changes internally and we have adjusted the temperature of our chickens with a hope the eggs will pop out hotter than previously.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and all the best spreading the joys of spring time among all that you meet :)

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Had a family meal there Tues April 7th, six of us. From start to finish the service was superb. We all enjoyed the food immensely, nothing at all could be criticised. The ribs just fell of the bone, the meat and potato pie was superb. All in all a great night out in fantastic surroundings. We usually eat at The Fleece, Ripponden, but can honestly say the service and food at The Hobbit were far superior, and a better menu by far, and to top it off, cheaper!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed at the hotel with a few friends as we were heading to a wedding on the Saturday. We arrived at around 8, and were quickly shown to our room so we could head back down to the bar for dinner before the restaurant closed at 9. The food was amazing, a really nice range of options and portions big enough that I couldn't manage dessert.

The room was really nice - you could tell that a lot of effort had gone into the recent refurbishment, although there were still a couple of kinks to be ironed out (the sink plug kept going all the way in, making it difficult to clear the sink of water, and the lights at the side of the bed appeared to have no switch). The desk/table made entirely of wood with the bark left on was an amazing touch, and the whole hotel was really well themed.

Breakfast was great - we arrived early as we were a little keen, but were shown where everything was and offered a cooked breakfast both times.

The best thing about the hotel has to be the view - although it's more than a little tricky to get to (especially in a car with a 1.0 litre engine trying to go up some impressively steep hills) - it's worth the trouble. We went on a walk before leaving on the Sunday and the views were stunning.

It is worth noting that the rooms are definitely not soundproofed from the restaurant downstairs - there was a 40th birthday party going on when we arrived back on the Saturday night and if we hadn't been so tired, it might have been harder to sleep. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room far from the restaurant area or check that there aren't any late-night parties booked downstairs.

Overall a lovely stay and hotel, and I'm hoping to go back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Visited the New Hobbit last night (26th March) with my partner for a wedding anniversary meal for my parents who live in Greetland and were joined by their friends who also live local. Partner and I live 60 mile away so booked a room for us so we could have a drink or 2.
1. Without asking we were given free upgrade to Bridal suite which was a very nice touch.
2. Nice young lady that dealt with us was lovely and so helpful
3. It was quiet - ish being midweek so we only saw 2 staff working front of house, the lady we first met (supervisor ?) and another young lady doing mainly food service. Both were busy with the bar and the meals but both gave excellent, friendly and polite service. Previous comments remark on poor service but we witnessed nothing that resembled that. Well done both of you.
4. Food ? Fantastic !! We all had starters and mains but boy were we stuffed. Between us we had soup (carrot & Coriander), Spare ribs, pate, tempura prawns & garlic mushrooms to start. ALL brilliant especially those ribs ! so tender, tasty and plenty of meat. Mains included lamb henry, MORE ribs, turf n surf and Hobbit burger. Again ALL brilliant. However (and be warned !) the burger is massive and if you want to go for it don't have a starter it will stuff you (I speak from experience, I had it !).
5. Drinks were reasonably priced
6. Room was clean and well appointed
7. Breakfast (albeit I was still a bit full) was very good indeed
All in all we had a great evening and our little group were the last to leave but the staff let us finish off in our own time without clock watching.
We all hope to have a re-visit soon.
Big thanks to all staff and well done Chef.
Andy & Alison from York

Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
The Imperial Crown Hotel
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!