“Blown away by this little country inn !”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Myself and my fiancé went here for a meal and were stunned at how well the place had been done up . It's a credit to the owners and staff !! We were so impressed with the hotel and good that we are in the process of booking our wedding here for May 2015 ! I hope they keep up the excellent standards as we know our guests are going oh love it as much as we do !

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My partner booked this meal after seeing the impressive menu on Facebook for our Valentines meal. We were greeted with champagne and seated next to a lovely chap playing the piano for the diners, a lovely idea. Our food was just outstanding, we both ordered the duck pate to start which came with a celeriac coleslaw which was an interesting accompaniment and worked well. I then went on to have the 3 types of pork, normal, belly and cheek. It was definitely the best pork I have ever tasted. My partner had the steak and was extremely impressed by how well it was cooked. For desert we had shared the chocolate platter which was beautiful, I couldn't even begin to name what was on there but we were very happy with it! The hotel manager very politely came over to our table to introduce himself and talk to us, which I appreciated. All the staff were so friendly and chatty and made our night without fault. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anybody interested in fine dining and will be coming back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Four gleaming hand pumps. Only one beer which went off after one pint. "Will it be back on today?" "Probably not". OK, so playing at real ale, then. Limited drinks choice overall - I mean one double fridge?!!! Dark room, low ceilings, light bulbs not working. Food pretty good, though a bit short on the gravy. Hand Drier not switched on in the toilets. Repeated use of the word 'guys' to address a party of 9 including 2 octagenerians. The annoying thing with the Hobbit - New or otherwise - is that with all its aspirations it falls well short in attention to detail and seems to assume that food alone will bring people back. Would I recommend it? Only after pointing out the above facts. Get the full package working, guys....

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris D
TheNewHobbit, Owner at The New Hobbit, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for review , Whilst Trip Advisor is a tool to help people make an informed choice about where to stay or dine it does also allow people to to say what they like accurate or not . This then requires businesses like ours to have to correct certain inaccurate claims.

We stock 4 different draught lagers,

Carlsberg
San Miguel
Mahou
Tuborg

We rotate real ale because it has short shelf life and we are a food led establishment.

Still we stock ,

Slightly foxed ( local pale ale )

Timothy Taylor's Landlord ( legendary medium strength ale )

Black Sheep , Golden Sheep ( lovely strong pale ale )

Bishops Finger ( strong dark copper coloured rich in flavour )

Ciders,

Draught,

Somersby

Bottled ,

Magners original
Kopparberg lime
Kopparberg mixed fruits

Wines,

We have 15 wines from different regions of the world with various prices to suit all occasions.

We also have 3 double fridges stocking even more bottled lagers, fruit juices and champagne.

Not a bad choice of drinks I'm sure you will agree.

It seems strange that you gloss over the food being good but yet focus on items almost inconsequential to the dining experience .
We have 127 lights downstairs if any bulbs were out they will be replaced after food service.

The hand dryer's have a switch next to them , they work if you press that switch. We apologise if this caused you any inconvenience .

Our staff are renowned for being very polite and helpful .The use of the word " guys " referring to a group of customers is both relaxed and friendly .

Our ceilings are 2.4 meters high ( 7ft 10 inches ) in the lowest area . We apologise if these ceilings are too low and affected your dining experience .

We take our reviews very seriously and where at all possible we will make changes and aim to improve.

This review however is inaccurate and not helpful to anyone looking for a review.

It is also worth mentioning that this reviewer did not feel strongly enough to raise any of their points with a member of staff or management but did feel it appropriate to hide behind the anonymous cloak of the Internet .

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Some of our family members travelled from as far as Skipton and Bingley to meet at the Hobbit. Certainly a long way for a get together. On our arrival we were greeted by really friendly staff who couldn't do enough to help. We first had a drink in the beautiful and comfortable lounge area and then shown to our table, bearing in mind this was a table for 12 people so we feared we could be squeezed together and struggle for room, but not at all. During our meal we were asked by several members of staff if everything was to our satisfaction which it certainly was.
In brief the service was second to none, the food was absolutely superb and of course the staff were wonderful. Well worth the long drive.
I would recommend the Hobbit to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Greeted with a warm welcome champayne and a red rose,the staff were intentive but not overly in your space
The food was Devine well thought out menu and beautifully precented and cooked .
Bit out of the way but well worth the trip out what a view can't Waite to come again .

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Tippytoes1x
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic meal again at The New Hobbit, visited with my family this evening. Lovely atmosphere, staff all very friendly and personable, the food and service is outstanding as always. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ellaloubeau
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My partner and I have visited The New Hobbit quite a few times now, past (not so much) and present (loads). I have to say how proud I am now to consider this fabulous place as my local. The staff, service, food, atmosphere and décor are absolutely amazing, I would highly recommend anyone to try this place out, it is most definitely value for money and most importantly a relaxed atmosphere and pleasant environment with fabulous views whilst you enjoy a great meal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Wool Merchant Hotel
Wool Merchant Hotel
#6 of 10 in Halifax
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!