“Last Minute Decision”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We decided to try this place as a last minute decision and we are glad that we did. The staff were great, the food was excellent and the surroundings were great. The cost was very reasonable. The only downside was that after a starter we could not eat all the main course. There cannot be too much wrong if the only complaint is too much food.

We actually considered making an evening of it and staying the night as well as the place was so good. The only thing that stopped us was appointments early on Saturday morning.

We will be back.

it was a bit tricky to find on a dark winters night but in the summer it much be stunning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cornfield_09

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Lovely decor, very friendly staff that were very attentative. Nice relaxing lounge area. Food was gorgeous and well presented.Can t wait to return. Would not attempt to go if thick of snow as quite a climb out of Sowerby Bridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank matjan50
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Popped in for the very first time , 4.30 on a Saturaday, the place was empty except for some friends I spotted in a corner. I ask for a table for three for a quick bite to eat. Staff member wondered off for a chat and came back 5mins later to tell me they were full ! I actually laughed, and said fine, we will bob down to the milestone ... Friends told me later, the place didn't fill up, probably due to some light snow coming down.... Pity, as I'm sure the Hobbet could do with 4x4 drivers like me in the winter months...... Staff need to encourage people to stay, and give other options. We'd have been in and out quickly & been very good regular customers... Profits would have been up !

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank B B
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Beautifully decorated, stunning food, excellent service, wonderful views. There's a delightful function room with option for an attached snug area with it's own dedicated bar. Well worth a visit, highly recommended. Don't be put off by the "currently under maintenance" website either.

Room Tip: Saw pictures of the bridal suite, it looks absolutely stunning. Pricier than normal rooms (as is sta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula R
Reviewed January 4, 2014

After staying at The Hobbit for two nights in October my wife and I returned on New Years Eve for a three night stay with our family (12 of us including our 1 year old son). Having raved about the place since our initial stay we were certainly not disappointed a second time round and thankfully our family were equally impressed as us. A potential problem with our room on arrival regarding a leaky radiator and therefore wet carpet became nothing more than a minor hiccup as we were instantly moved to another room without question or fuss. New Years Eve ball was fabulous, one of the best New Years I've spent in a long time, great atmosphere in a great venue. Throughout our stay we found the food to be consistently excellent and the attentiveness, attitude and friendliness of all of the staff to be second to none - a special mention for Sammie who was a real gem! Well done Hobbit and staff for ensuring we were not let down on our recommendation to our family, can't wait to see you again soon in 2014.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel have no view whatsoever but on the front the view is stunning.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edward S
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a family get together here on Thursday night. nice area to relax whilst waiting for rest of party (9 of us), I thought is was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. Staff were all very attentive, once at the table we were left to decide what we all wanted to order. When the food arrived it was very well presented and superbly cooked. I only had a burger but I must say it was terrific and the chips were the best I have had for many a year. The wife raved about her warm Tuna Salad, she says its the tastiest meal she has had for years, not one bad comment from any of the party, well done The New Hobbit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank les b
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

After a recent visit with family on our Christmas holiday in the area (Halifax) We had booked a table with a view to eat on Boxing Day,we felt we were not under any pressure to order as there were only 8 persons in there at that time.
We ordered drinks and sat talking and after approx 15 mins were approached by 3 separate members if staff, who asked if we were ready to order food.
We replied that we were waiting for another member if the family to arrive, to which we were approached aggressively by what appeared to be the Manager with the attitude of "I NEED TO KNOW" if you are ordering food now.
We told him we were not ready and there was no rush as the Dining Area was so quiet.
We all discussed the matter and unanimously decided that the attitude was disgusting and did we really want to eat there. To which we put our coats on and told them we no longer required the table.
This venue was recommended for holding an upcoming social event, so thanks to that response.... no more

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
TheNewHobbit, Owner at The New Hobbit, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

This is one of the problems with Trip Advisor , you have publically critised my business yet managed to leave out the complete truth.

So let me fill in the gaps :

You booked a table of 8 on Boxing Day .

You arrived 40 mins late for your booking without calling or having the courtesy to let us know.

We asked if you would like to go straight to your table at which point you said to one of my staff , you will just have a drink for now because you are just deciding if you want to eat or not.

So we left you to have a drink and decide what your intentions were.

I then arrived about 10 mins laterand asked the staff why your table wasn't seated. They explained you had not decided if you were eating or not.

You were the first booking of the day hence why it was quiet , however Boxing Day is one of the busiest food days of the year and we allocated 2 hours for your table before the next booking arrived.

So you were 40 mins late and now still contemplating after a further 20 mins . At this point I approached you to get an answer as to what you were intending to do or not do. Again you said you were not sure if you were eating and you were going to have a group discussion and let us know.

Well ofcourse at this point you have wasted so much time I had to tell you we needed the table back for the next customers at a certain time.

Believe it or not we are a business and a customer booking a table of 8 on a very busy day , then turning up very late , no apology , no call , and then wants to sit and have discussion about if you actually want to eat is rude and disrespectful .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sowerby Bridge
Wool Merchant Hotel
Wool Merchant Hotel
#6 of 10 in Halifax
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!