“Our new favourite place”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband, myself and our 4 year old daughter visited here for the first time on weds evening. The decor, food and service are all fantastic. Massive portion sizes, excellent value for money, my daughter had a childrens meal of chicken nuggets chips and beans which was presented lovely and the chicken nuggets were 100% chicken breast made fresh in batter, hand cut chips and a seperate pot of beans... she loved it. Both mine and my husbands starter and mains were spot on, so tasty. Will definatly be returning again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Naomishutt

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here on the 25th to the 27th of Sep to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. On arrival we were greeted to a warm friendly welcome, and on hearing it was our anniversary upgraded us to the bridle suite- which blew us away! The room itself was huge,very romantic with a separate dressing room and a BIG bath. The views from the room were fab over looking the valley.
Although the hotel is small it is nicely decorated through out. We found the food to die for so be ready to loosen your belts,with well cooked and a well presented menu and perfect portions. We found the early bird menu especially great value for money.
Breakfast each morning was lovely, with both hot and cold options which went down a treat.
There is full and fast wifi downstairs but sadly none at all upstairs - which we know is being addressed. The hotel itself went quite after the diners had left, but this didn't bother us as we chilled out on the comfy sofas and had a couple of more drinks before bed.
Staff were very polite, attentive and certainly customer friendly. Thumbs up and a big thank you to everyone at the New Hobbit Inn!
Would we stay here again....IN A SHOT!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel has fantastic views overlooking Calder Valley. The decor is lovely and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced.

Our room had nice decor but the bathroom was tiny.

The roads leading to the hotel are steep and narrow and a car is essential.

Staff are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Degustibus4u
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed for two nights on a Wowcher offer. I decided upon this location due to the very good ratings on Tripadvisor and we were both very much satisfied all round with our stay. It is a smallish but not too small hotel with friendly and informal and very easy going staff. The room in which we stayed was clean and of reasonable size with all the usual trimmings such as kettle, a selection of hot drinks, and toiletries. On the first night we ate in the hotel restaurant as they have an Early bird menu which consists of two courses for £10 and I must say that the portion sizes were enourmous and cooked to a very good standard. It looked like the chef took care with the quality and presentation although the onion rings were on the greasy side. The Grand Hobbit Burger was lovely and the chips were good.

The breakfast service in the morning was very easy going again and the food very good with large portions.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others for the good quality and friendly local service. The location is excellent and the views from the hotel are fabulous. The only thing that I would warn people of is the extremely steep, narrow and winding hill that you have to drive up to get to the hotel. Its very scary if you're not used to that kind of thing. I tried walking up and down the hill which was fun but trust me when I say its not for the unfit.

Close by is a lovely town called Hebden Bridge which was really nice and worth a day's visit as you can go back train, drive or cycle there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We Booked here for a family gathering. The new hobbit hotel is a lovely place.The food was lovely and of very high standards. All the staff was very pleasant and couldn't do enough for us. Cannot fault this place its outstanding. Myself and family would like to say THANK YOU to the owner and his staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to the hobbit with my family for Sunday lunch because the reviews on trip advisor. Before we went to our table we was served our drinks and waited in the pub area which was lovely. We was then led through to the restaurant area. The restaurant looked as though the tables were just plonked in a room with no organisation. The tables were not set up how you would usually expect them to be, there was just knifes and forks and a napkin. We ordered our Sunday lunch and we only wanted a main course, which was £9.50. We waited around 30 minutes and when it came we was very disappointed. The portion sizes were tiny to say we was only eating a main. We had two slices of beef, carrots, cauliflower, roast potatoes and a Yorkshire pudding. Usually when we go out for dinner there is a large selection of vegetables and at least two variations of potatoes. The total of our bill was just short of £40 and I don't think this is great value for money at all. I would visit the hobbit again and try their normal menu but I won't be returning for the Sunday lunch again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 18, 2013

i have just come home from a 2 night stay at the New Hobbit Hotel with my 2 daughters and 20 month old grandson. It was the most comfortable hotel I have ever stayed in and wish I could have stayed longer. I had 2 perfect nights sleep and would highly recommend the food. The breakfast was delicious and on the second night we ate in the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meals - especially my grandson. The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for us a thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
The Imperial Crown Hotel
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!