“Outstanding views over Halifax”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just returned today with my daughter from a two night stay at The New Hobbit. This hotel is up a hill and therefore the views were amazing. You can see for miles. The building is a long stone-built type and there are two ways in. The main entrance you need to walk up about 8 or nine steps, once you are in as a resident there is another door further up the street which once inside you walk up two carpeted steps to your bedroom landing. We stayed in Room 10 which faced the front and had a great view. The room was nicely done although modest, lovely tiled bathroom with bath and overhead shower. Towels, toiletries, kettle and a variety of drinks, tv and a really comfortable bed. The staff were all young and very pleasant at all times. We ate breakfast and there was tea, coffee, cereals, toast, variety of preserves, fresh fruit and yohurt. Then the full English but if this was too much you have something else, ie I had scrambled eggs on toast and there was enough for two people. We also had two evening meals while we were there. If you eat before 8.00pm then you get two courses for £10 which is very reasonable. The starters are big and the batter was delicious, ie, Deep fried camembert with sauce in the lightest crispy batter, side salad too. I had a rack of ribs which was huge with chunky chips, salad and sauce. My daughter Paula had Lasagne and garlic bread. They also sell an onion ring stack with contained at least six lightly battered onion rings and that was huge too. My opinion is this, very good tasty food which is filling and delicious. Not small and fancy looking but well presented and good food. Very attentive staff and nice ambience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone except perhaps disabled people with a walking difficulty.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front with a view are lovely but perhaps a room at the back may be less noisy from the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2013

just reluctantly returned from a 2 night break at the New Hobbit. The refurbished room (no 11) certainly had the wow! factor. The whole of the hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were all very friendly. The choice at breakfast had everything one could wish for and the hospitality trays in the room were excellent.

We opted for the 'earlybird menu' in the evening which at 2 courses for £10 proved astonishing value. We both opted for the garlic mushrooms and bread, which were delicious with mains being fish and chips (2 large fish, chunky chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce) and the Cheese burger (lovely thick burger with cheese, chunky chips and side salad) all cooked and presented to perfection. I would recommend booking as the restaurant was very busy with 'local people' which, I personally think, is always a good sign.

The hotel is perfectly positioned for both Leeds (approx 30 mins) and York (approx 60 mins) which is where we were visiting in order to visit potential universities and I find myself hoping that my daughter will choose one of them so that I have more of an excuse to keep visiting this delightful hotel (fingers crossed!).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sunworshipper697
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a lovely 2 night stay over the bank holiday .
Great food, lovely staff, it's worth booking a table for the evening meal.
Rooms Are modern and well equipped ( could do with a hook on the inside of the bathroom door for hanging your towel once used)
Good views over Sowerby bridge and a good base for exploring this part of Yorkshire.
A very enjoyable stay. Thankyou

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here on a wowcher break and had a really nice time. The owner and his mother were very friendly which was really nice after our long drive from Scotland. The food was excellent and the waitresses were so pleasant and very efficient. The rooms were clean and comfy. The decor in the whole place was very tasteful and well thought out to blend with the building. Would recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I have just stayed here for two nights, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is very beautiful . It has been a very relaxing few days met some lovely couples who also made my couple of days enjoyable thankyou karen and kev, The rooms have been renovated to the best standard's, the owner hasn't skimpt u can see that by the standards and the details excellent. The food was beautiful even had deals on two steaks and bottle of wine for 25 quid which we thought the was great and really enjoyed. The atmosphere was very good due to there dedication of the staff especially Louise the manager thankyou x , the breaksfast was big and plenty in my room there was plenty of sockets for all my electric s bed was so so comfortable with beautiful views, my husband and I have stayed in some wonderful hotels but I can definitely say that this small hotel is one on my list as the best thankyou hobbit and wowcher deals are fab.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Used a wowcher deal for a 2 night b & b stay. Excellent value. The hotel is quaint but modern, the steak and wine Friday deal is fab (all the food was lovely). The rooms are well decorated, clean and the bed was really comfy. The bar / restaurant attracts lots of people so I would suggest booking a table for an evening meal. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. If I were being ultra-picky, I would suggest a hook on the back of the bathroom door, guest info in the room (breaky and evening meal times / local walks etc) and maybe better WiFi in the bedrooms, but as I say, that's being ultra-picky! Overall a really lovely place, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Room 8 at the front has lovely views of the valley
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our daughter kindly arranged for my wife and I to have a weekend break at this hotel. We arrived on a lovely warm Saturday afternoon and enjoyed a couple of drinks on the hotels decking overlooking the valley. Our room was at the rear of the hotel so unfortunately did not have a view of the valley. However, the room was sizeable, very clean and very nicely furnished. The restaurant was almost full on the Saturday evening which is always a good sign. We enjoyed a very nice meal. I have ribs to start followed by a Rib Eye steak. The steak was particularly good being both tender and tasty. The restaurants aim seems to be to provide well cooked, quality ingredients rather than “fancy” food. Breakfasts begin with the usual selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurt. The cooked breakfast to follow was tasty and substantial. I did not need to eat again until the evening, Thanks to Chris, Louise and the rest of the pleasant and helpful staff for a very enjoyable weekend. We will visit again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wool Merchant Hotel
Wool Merchant Hotel
#6 of 10 in Halifax
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!