“Fantastic Beer Seven Days A Week”

Jubilee Refreshment Rooms
Cuisines: British
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This former station ticket office has gone from a derelict eyesore to the best kept beer in the area. I’ve been on numerous occasions since it opened, most recently in November. The ever changing selection of microbrews is always to the highest quality, and throughout the autumn months there was often a good dark beer on. Being located right on the station platform and just along the road from a Bus stop means the Jubilee Refreshment Rooms are very easy access. Besides the beer there are hot snacks available in the mornings (up until 2pm now). I have selected the reservations button as I understand the full breakfasts need to be booked in advance. I can heartily recommend the bacon and egg butties however. There’s also a nice selection of buns and pork pies. They stock the Fentimans soft drinks, and I like to get one of the Curiosity Colas for waiting for my bus. The place is always clean, and decorated with memorabilia from the railways and other local curios such as a Jeweller’s clock. If you’re in the area and like very well kept real ale in a friendly atmosphere then this is the place to visit.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Took my Dad for a trip out to Sowerby Bridge railway station where he used to meet my Mum. Chris and Andrew made us very welcome and couldn't do more to make my Dad's visit memorable. Absolutely no problem to them accommodating the wheelchair.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Having visited what I thought was an excellent, friendly place three times before on my work travels around Yorkshire, I was astounded at the way the proprietor treated me today.
I popped in there to get out of a sudden shower while I was waiting for a cab. I knew I'd have time when returning from Copley Data Centre in the afternoon to sit and have a snack and a cup of tea, so wasn't thinking there'd be any problem.
The proprietor, whom I remember being friendly and helpful to me in the past, such that I had recommended this place my colleagues, came over to me and wanted to know what I was doing. When I said "Hello" and that I was waiting for a cab he promptly ordered me out and said "this isn't a waiting room". When I informed him I'd been there several times before he accused me of lying! I then told him I had intended to have something on my return only for his ranting to continue.
But surely no-one should be treated like this? Whether or not you are intending to pay for refreshments at that moment or later on, no-one should be hounded out of a cafe/bar in front of other customers unless they have done something to deserve it. It doesn't make good business sense either. By allowing the odd straggler to pop in out of the rain for a few minutes you might impress them enough to get future custom.
I have reversed my recommendation of this establishment to my colleagues. I will now avoid this place altogether and I will recommend that people in my game (IT) who need to go to the Copley data centre also avoid it.

10  Thank Chris P
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Superb beers and tasty little treats eg cakes and pork pies.
Friendly atmosphere and the host Andrew Wright is a knowledgeable and entertaining man who understands what real ale is all about.
No music, no pin ball, no bandit, no chavs, no alcopops,no liquid chemicals known as lager to the great unwashed.
Take time out to chat to Andrew who travels the UK to try beer and celebrate the man and his business that he has worked so hard to make a success.
Don't go late in the evening as the bar often shuts between 9 & 10 PM.
Sunday afternoon and evening is always a good time when Andrew can be seen entertaining a growing number of real ale officianardos that travel miles to celebrate what a real ale should be like all about the beer and enjoy the company of Andrew, a man who cares about people, real ale and trains.
As a bonus check out the cleanest toilets in West Yorkshire but only if you get the code!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The bars and pubs alongside Northern Rail's "Rail Ale Trail" between Dewsbury and Stalybridge are very well known, but this place is as good as the best on that route. It is situated in one of the former station buildings right on Sowerby Bridge railway station, with the railway heritage of the fabric of the building clearly evident. The place is obviously run by people who are both railway enthusiasts and real ale connoisseurs, so there is lots of railway memorabilia to look at, while drinking very well-kept beers from local micro-breweries. The food we tried while we waited for the train was also excellent quality and fresh, and served up promptly. If anyone was looking for a handy stop-off place en-route from West Yorkshire to Lancashire by train. I would definitely recommend this.

1  Thank buggyite