“Wasn't as good as last year”

The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We visit the turnpike every Mother's Day and usually have a great meal. This year was average at best. The food was fine but service was poor, it wasn't overly busy so I couldn't really say that was the problem.
The staff were friendly and trying to do their best, so I suspect it was what was going on in the kitchen that was the problem.
We had children with our group, all our meals were brought and the kids then had to wait at least 10 minutes for theirs as we were told they had forgotten to do them... That didn't go down well.
We all had desert, the children had ice cream.... Again they brought out one ice cream, then the other kids had to wait 15 minutes for theirs.... Not good, this crested tension on what should gave been an effortless day for the mums. Everyone knows kids need to be sorted out first.
My fella had the cheese board, at 7.95 you would expect butter...
Come on turnpike get back to the goodness you once were.

Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The Turnpike has gone through many incarnations over the years and having had such a lovely makeover I was hoping that the food offering would have improved.

Over two visits recently I just felt that both the service and the food is very average, and the prices therefore seem very high.

The staff are very indifferent and considering I dined both times during very quiet periods this doesn't bode well. Over two meals the food served did not quite match the description and when queried I was told that they had sold out of certain items, surely this is something that should be pointed out when you place the order.

Overall it doesn't feel like they value your custom, possibly this maybe a consequence of having a lot of passing trade.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MysteryGuestRochdale
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We have been twice now and disappointed both times. The first visit was atrocious, long waiting times, having to ask repeatedly for the drinks we ordered, having to wait very long time for the food.

The second time we booked to bypass the waiting time for a table. However like previous reviewers their prized asset the carvery has now gone!!
We opted for other food on the menu which was very average

Slow staff, poor service would go again now

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jenko-6-1
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Have visited for Sunday lunch many times but probably won't go back in a hurry after today. The usual carvery has gone and the 'roasts' served now seem to consist of thinly cut re-heated meats of the mass catering variety, not the hand carved options as before. Poor selection of vegetables too.

The last few times I've visited, the service has been pretty slow. A shame as this is a very nice pub in a great setting.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Four of us visited The Turnpike on Saturday 8th March 2014. The venue is very nice and the staff friendly and attentive. However the food is expensive dressed up pub grub.
e.g. a pork pie in gravy starter over £6.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Rude, rude, rude!!! Having driven from Whitby, my husband suggested the turnpike to stop and have lunch. However, we enquired about a table and we're told (in no uncertain terms) that they were fully booked, All day, by one of the bar staff, when it was quite clear that there were empty tables and it's obvious that you cannot simply pass by the pub but would have had to make a special trip to get there!! No apology given and we were made to feel very unwelcome! Needless to say we shall never return!!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Lesley H
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Me & my partner took advantage of the Wine, Dine & Duvet deal which is great value for money. Had a 3 course meal with wine, 1 nights stay in a double room and full breakfast the day after. We were also able to take our dog but decided not to but next time we will!
The whole experience was a pleasant one, the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The food was amazing and I find the negative comments on here about this quite puzzling as me and my partner thought the food was lovely, well presented and good size portions. The room was spotless and very comfy. Only negative thing I can say was the bed was a bit small but I am 6'1", this didn't spoil anything at all and it was very very comfy. Breakfast again was very tasty. I will definitely return to the Turnpike Inn, the staff made our little break a very enjoyable one. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple