“EXCELLENT SERVICE AND FOOD”

The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT SERVICE AND FOOD”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Decided to go out for Sunday lunch, having looked at a few web sites went for the Turnpike as the site offered a 25% off food and drink voucher.
It was quite a trek for us but well worth it.
The service was excellent plenty of staff which makes a huge difference.
We opted for the carvery which was excellent value for money, great choice I had the veggie option which was vert tasty.
Overall well worth the trip when we left the place was very busy I can see why, even on a rotten day like today.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicola_Crabtree, General Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your lunch here at The Turnpike. I am very pleased to hear that you found your visit, the food and service pleasurable. I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We have eaten here several times as it makes a useful meeting-up point for us. In the past the food has been reasonable if not outstanding. However it seems to have changed management or similar as our lunch here yesterday was very poor indeed. Not only was the food poor and generally just microwaved we asked to change the fish and chips which had a very strange taste ( as though it had been dropped in washing-up liquid). They did ask if we wanted something else and when we did we were charged extra for the other dish!The other dishes were barely acceptable and overpriced for the quality.
I would not recommend this place for food and we were very disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter M
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit here to The Turnpike. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed- had I been made aware of any issues on the day I would have dearly liked to have rectified them there and then in order that you left satisfied and happy with the service you received. I do hope you give The Turnpike another try in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Sowerby Bridge hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I visited the turnpike recently a friend recommended, my husband and I started with the soup (very pleasant), we then went over to get our carvery lunches the smaller chef was very helpful and chatty, after returning to our table, I noticed the well built chef in the kitchen who must of suddenly had ( I think ) a irritation in his lower regions, and it needed his attention right away and after seeing this and him then place a burger on bun without washing his hands this went on a few times and the food was then taken to a (unknowing) table, I was horrified, disgusted but mainly worried about our food we already had eaten. I can guarantee we will not be returning as I or my husband neither need nor want to see that again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margret s
Nicola_Crabtree, General Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your review of your visit to The Turnpike. I will speak to the team member who you have mentioned and can assure you this is neither the norm nor the future service at The Turnpike. I do hope you reconsider and revisit in the future.
england
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We recently visited the turnpike as a group of four diners. The welcome we received was of a very poor standard which made us feel as though we were intruding on the staffs time.

The food was of a very poor quality the starters were minimalistic to say the least and the main course of fish was full of skin and bones on a bed of luke warm lumpy potatoes.

We will not be visiting this establishment again as we would rather pay the same price for well prepared and well presented food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nicola_Crabtree, General Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Turnpike. I am sincerely very sorry that you felt it was disappointing in this instance. I wish I had been informed of the issues with your meal on the day as I could have rectified it there and then- allowing our guests to leave dissatisfied is not Turnpike standard. I would love to welcome you back in the future should you ever change your mind.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Myself and my husband have eaten here before, and been happy with both the menu and the service. However today we had lunch there and I had the sandwich of Topside of Beef with Red Onion gravy, I was very disappointed the baguette was dry around the edges, there was only a few pieces of red onion in the gravy, and the salad didn't look very nice.My husband had the Scottish Haddock which he enjoyed. We also had to wait a long time for our meal to be served.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of The Turnpike. I am sorry you felt disappointed by your sandwich on this occasion, they are usually our best sellers and receive lots of praise. I have passed your comments onto the chef in order that this does not happen again. I do hope youvisit again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We have been to the Turnpike many times over the past 20 years but it has been about 3 years since our last visit (mainly due to our circumstances and not because of a bad experience) We went for a 5pm early evening meal with our 2 year old son and I can't fault anything.. The service was excellent and everybody was happy to help with anything we asked. Very attentive to our son and food was great. Took advantage of the 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £30 which was fantastic value. Child's 3 course meal was £10 but was massive so I was happy to help with his chocolate fudge cake! There are plenty of places to go to eat for much less but this was quality in our view. Such a lovely relaxed evening and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed February 2014
Nicola_Crabtree, General Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your visit to The Turnpike. I am so pleased to hear that you had a lovely experience and will pass on all of your lovely comments to the team. I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I dined with three others at the Turnpike on Saturday and had a really pleasant time. However the average rating given would best reflect the opinion of the group of us as a whole.

The establishment is well laid out inside and has a touch of class about it, and the beer does not disappoint. We had booked in advance and were expecting to sit in the restaurant area but on arrival were advised that this wouldn't be happening due to insufficient bookings, and so we dined in the bars eating area instead.

We each ordered a starter and a main. I had black pudding toad in the hole which was 100% delicious, and the others had wild mushrooms x2 (nice but a bit on the light side) and a soup.

For mains two of us took advantage of the "2 Steaks and a bottle of wine" meal for £29 which were highly satisfying and very good value (the wine was good too). My only criticism would be that the cheese sauce ordered on the side had very little taste to it.

The other two ordered haddock for their mains but neither had much joy, due mainly to an unwanted combination of bones and skin.

Our total bill came to around £80. This was deemed reasonable value when considering the drinks included; it was just a shame that the fish mains failed to live up to expectations.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nicola_Crabtree, General Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hell, thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience here at The Turnpike. I am glad you enjoyed your visit on the whole and will pass your comments with regards to the haddock back to our fishmonger in order that this doesn't happen again. I do hope you return for another meal with us in the future, the team and I would love to welcome you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sowerby Bridge
#1 of 1 in Barkisland
Thorpe House Bed & Breakfast
Thorpe House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Sowerby Bridge

Been to The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor? Share your experiences!