“Good simple Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Googlr
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Small simple Pizza/ Pasta restaurant with basic but charming decor.
Have ben a few times over the years and always been happy with the food.
Last visited on a Saturday when they were very busy but our pasta and pizza dishes and puddings were very tasty and good value.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Donatello's in Ampthill is possibly one of the worst establishments I have ever visited. The service is poor (lots of teenagers) and the food on many occasions (including this one) does not meet expectations.

On this latest visit, I ordered one of the specials from the board which then didn't materialise when the food arrived. I was then asked to choose something else - a bit late to ask! I had to watch my friends eat and then eat my main course on my own. No one apologised and to add insult to injury I was expected to pay for my main!

I suggest anyone considering Donatello's tries Fratelli further down the road. The food there is more expensive but you definitely get what you pay for!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening with friends, very small restaurant with the tables far too close together. Food was not good, the starters were microwaved and the pizza was awful with the base so tough I had to cut it with a steak knife!! My husband said his pasta was nice and the wine was good but very expensive for a standard bottle of red. It was not a cheap evening and we have had better and cheaper meals at various Italian restaurant chains!! On the plus side the service was good but we will not be returning.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is is a Pizza and Pasta restaurant so if you want more then go else where. There is a relaxed atmosphere and the staff are very helpful. I ordered the wrong Pizza, my fault, and this was changed no questions asked. Some reviewers have said that it needs to be updated. I disagree, it is Italian and feels that way when you walk in the door, not the homogenous look and feel that a lot of restaurants adopt when they update.

I would recommend this restaurant if you want a reasonable priced meal, freshly made, and served by welcoming staff

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Have been here many times for lunch and evening meals. I think that the food is great value and I love the feel of this restaurant. I have sat outside on a nice sunny lunchtime too. Would go again.