“Whitehouse free upgrade "secret pass word"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals South Coast

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Toronto, Canada
“Whitehouse free upgrade "secret pass word"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

Had a great trip to whitehouse everything was very good for Jamaica only issue was the wait for tables at dinner. each restaurant was different but ranged from 40 mins to 2 hrs. While waiting noticed abiut 30% of tables vacant. Was told that the consierges had reserved them. When asked about the no reservations policy was told that doesn't apply to the consierges.
Next night was in line at neptunes and same story. As we walked up lots of people waiting and one couple just in front of us. The maitre d said to him sorry the wait is 1 hr and 20 mins. The guys says "oh Roland our concierge told us to come at 7". The maitre d says welcome .....come right in. When the maitre d comes back he says to me and my wife sorry the wait is 1 hr 30 mins. I say Roland told us to come at 7. It was 7:15. They say welcome ... come right in.

So it worked everywhere every day.

Only issue was at the main bar. "D Wayne" is the leader and unless you float him a $5 handshake everyday you get really bad service. If you stand there with your drink at the bar he and his guys operate very well and you can see them get good tips from their best customers. He also announces when the boss is coming or watching. So take some fives or you will wait until all the good customers are served.

I have been to Jamaica and all over the carribean many times and have no problem with how things work or tips but some of the comments on this site are not what we experianced

A final note. The airport lounge and transfer is great. Yes a long 2 hr ride and several bumpy areas but the road was much better than to Negril last year. We arrived with 3 other couples that we met on the bus ride. We all sat in the lobby while they did the normal check in. Suggest If you can check in advance must be at least 4 days before travel.

The front desk staff came out with a package for my wife and I within 5 minutes all pre checked in. He then advised the 3 other couples that they had no reservations and they must be staying in Sandals Negril. This was at 7 pm and we just had a 2 hr bus ride. The cou[ples all pulled their hotel vouchers etc and the staff said no they were in the wrong place and all he could do is see if the bus was still here and he could try to arrange a free bus ride back to Negril.

They all got quite upset and after 10 or 15 mins of this the guy laughs and says ha ha just a jamaica joke... we are ready for you. None of us thought it was funny. Also as we arrived at 7 pm on a wednesday we missed the welcome home reception and special dinner for returning Sandals members as it only runs wednesday 6 for reception and 7 for meal

This trip advisor site is fantastic and I have researched all my trips before travel.

Keep posting your experiances as it is a great resource

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank torontobob2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,024)
Southampton, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

Hi,

I've never written a review before and wasn't going to but after much thought have decided to. My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in September and was so disapointed.

We had a Luxury Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Room, don't be fooled by the name, it is a very basic room, which is in need of updating. The bathroom didn't fare much better either. Although the floors and furniture were clean the walls however were not, I know that sounds like a strange thing to comment on but it gave the whole room a dirty feeling. The bed however was extremely comfortable.

There are a handful of very nice and helpful staff, but on the whole I found them very rude. Conceirge were the worst, extremely rude and basically treated us like a nuisance (I only went there twice, its not like i was there everyday) So paying extra for Conceirge is a total waste of time.

The breakfast buffet was very nice, a good choice of food, its was the best meal to choose from by far. The lunch and evening buffett however wasn't so good. Don't get me wrong it was ok but not what i expected. I expected far more choice with a higher standard of food.

We had a meal at Jasmines which was really good, but it was closed quite a few nights so we never had the chance to return, I'm not sure how much of an impact the rain had to these resturants, we had white gloved meal, only one person actually wore a white glove, not that we were bothered by this, but the name suggests it should be high end. It was anything but, the staff were stressed, we waited for at least 30 minutes to be asked if we would like a drink let alone the meal itself, they took the order then 25 minutes later said mine was no longer available. (there was very little choice so I had to go without) my husbands steak was raw. We left utterly dismayed.

I should point out that the weather was horrendous so i'm not sure how much of an impact this had to the running of the hotel, staff, facilites etc. But when it rains there is nothing to do but go to your room.

I don't know if the holiday would have been alot different if the weather had been good, maybe everyone would have been a bit more jolly, but it doesn't take away the standard of the rooms, cleanliness etc etc.

The day we arrived was very hot and sunny so we headed to the beach to take a look around, it is nothing like the photo's would have you believe, the water was not clear (i went to cyprus the year before and the beaches there were far superior) it was nothing that i was expecting.

To round up i would not go back, i'm am gutted at spending so much money and getting what i would say was a 3 star hotel. We could have spent over £1500 less and got a far superior holiday going to the med. This was our first long haul holiday and probably our last for a long time.

You are definately paying for the Sandals name because what we experienced was nothing like the brochure would lead you to believe.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank michellew74
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

We just returned from a week long stay here, and it was AMAZING! We were in much need of a relaxing vaction (since my husband and I work crazy hours) but we are still young and want to be busy and have fun. Thats a tough combination, and Sandals White House delivered! We were treated like gold the whole time. All the staff knew us by name!
We started out in a regular room with small ocean/pool side balcony, which was perfect for the price. About half way through we upgraded to a butler suite which was pure bliss! For the price- totally worth it. Both rooms were in the Dutch section. They have several sections, each with their own pool right outside, plus there is an amazing Main pool you can walk to. The Dutch side was quiet and relaxing and the French side was the party area.
Our butlers Ainsley and Kamar were the best! They arranged our spot on the beach each day, and brought us cold cocktails and stocked our cooler.
The beach is a 2.5 mile span of perfect white sand. I jogged almost every day on it. There is some sea grass if you swim out a bit, and I found several huge star fish and a couple of crabs- which was really exciting.
They plan different activities each day and night. One night I did a dance in the Talent show, the next day my husband won the ping pong tournament and then the last day we were there his team won the beach volleyball tourney.
What I really liked was meeting several other couples our age that we could hang out with. We met 2 couples from CA, and Australia on the bus ride there, and then later in the week met 2 others couples from NY and Canada.
Each night was a different theme for the night club, (from top 40 music, to a piano sing a long) and it was great to hang out with everyone, and the entertainment staff joined us!
They also do a "White" night with a chocolate buffet!! I wish I had have known to bring a white dress etc. No worries though I bought one there.
The food was good, not fantastic, but we are really picky and we live in Los Angeles where everything is good. There are several resturants to choose from each night, we really liked Neptunes (sea food).
My husband arranged one of the private beach side tables with pre-fix menu, which was amazing. Right on the sand with the waves and the stars. Our server Simone was sooo sweet! You do have to pay extra (its not included in the all inclusive package) but a once in a life-time experience and really worth it.
They do not have "premium" alcohol, even though they advertise it. It was not what we consider premium. We upgraded our alcohol and purchased a bottle of Vueve. But they did not have Belvedere vodka at all =(
Overall though, the staff was the best!! DJ Dukie helped cut my music for the talent show, and then he spun each night, and for the Volley ball tourney etc. Shout out to DJ Dukie!! Your'e the best! The entertainment staff Otto, Christain, Anthony and Sasha (you know you should be Miss Jamaica!!) kept us busy and totally entertained. They all participated in the talent show too which was fun. Anthony did an amazing fire eating routine, and Otto sang and danced like Usher!
We were there for both New Year's Eve and my husband's Birthday. This resort put on the MOST spectacular party we have ever been to. (This is saying a lot because we are known for our outrageous 4th of July parties in our backyard with pool, grotto swim up bar etc. And we had belly dancers with snakes last year. And I've even been to several parties at the Palyboy mansion). The Sandals party was so fun- amazing buffet, Elvis impersonator, champagne bottles filling the main pool fountain, ice sculptures, painted people who looked like tigers and cheetahs, belly dancers, show girls with elaborate carnival type costumes and DJ Dukie of course!
For my husband's Bday - our butlers decorated the door to our suite, made up our in suite hot tub with flowers, candles and bubbles, and arranged a cake at dinner!
That brings me back to the overall theme, that the staff was great! They do operate on a slower pace than somewhere like Los Angeles, so you have to keep that in mind. I found it a nice departure from the everyday grind. I even got issued a "speeding ticket" for walking too fast LOL! We love you guys and can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We just returned from a one week vacation from the Sandals Whitehouse property and it was excellent. The property was about 1.5 hours from the airport and Sandals had arranged the transportation for us. The ride is not as bad as some of the reviewers have indicated (if you are use to driving in NYC). Once we arrived on the property we were greeted with cold towels and beverages. Once we checked in and went to the rooms, the luggages almost arrived immediately and we were ready to start our vacation. The property offers a variety of food options from Caribbean to Asian and Italian. There was even a little cafe that we ate dessert and had a cup of coffee every night. There were many activities each day including snorkeling, kayaking, and wind surfing (at no extra cost). We received good service from the staff and we participated in a number of the events planned daily. Overall we had a wonderful and very relaxing getaway. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone that is looking for an get away with no worries.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trvlchic5
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We had a fabulous vacation at Sandals Whitehouse. We just got back on January 3rd 2011, and we have only the best words for the place. Service is outstanding, and food is like at the best restaurants world wide. We had been to many Sandals, but Whitehouse is ultimately the best of them all. Also, i would like to mention the most amazing private beach that resort has, it was a true pleasure enjoying the walk on 2 km beach, and totally private and leisure undisturbed sunbathing all day long...
Highly recommended to everyone. A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank divausa
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We were initially booked to go to St. Lucia on our honeymoon, but got rerouted to Jamaica because of a hurricane. We were skeptical at first, because we heard in the past that Jamaica wasn't the best honeymoon destination, but as soon as we got to the resort, we were pleasantly surprised!

The staff was WONDERFUL. They were so nice, friendly, and helpful. The events staff planned awesome games during the day and great events (with bands, dancing, etc.) at night. The accommodations were also great. Very nice rooms with great views. The bar in our room wasn't stocked when we arrived, but we called room service and got every kind of liquor we could have imagined. The resort was also gorgeous. The pool was huge, the pool bar had great bartenders. The restaurants were very good.

I would recommend this resort to anyone! I was so happy that we ended up in Jamaica. The island is so rich in culture and there are so many cool little things to do and places to go on and off the resort (we went off the resort twice for the Appleton Rum Tour and Zip-lining).

Thanks again Sandals Whitehouse. We had the best honeymoon imaginable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank augustam830
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We were at Whitehouse for our honeymoon and it was exactly what we were looking for. Checked out tripadvisor extensively before going...and it paid off. The resort looks exactly like all the pictures on this site and on the Sandals website. Very clean, great service, excellent food.
As has been said before, you really can choose how active you want to be. Each of the three pool areas has a very different feel to them, so if you want to be involved in all the activities, you can, but if you want peace and quiet you can have that too.
The food was great...we had no complaint of slow service at all. I can't say we had a watch on to know how long we ever waited, but we never felt the service was slow at all.
The drive from the airport was fine...yes, it's bumpy and windy, but who cares? Once you get to the resort, you totally forget the drive.
All in all, perfect honeymoon destination...we will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,150 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!