“There from March 24th to 31st and We Loved It!”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Ontario Canada
“There from March 24th to 31st and We Loved It!”
Reviewed April 6, 2007

Returned from SWH on March 31st and wish we had been there longer. Comments:

Positives in no particular order other than the first one:
1) The people are exceptional, always making us feel welcome,
2) The rooms were very nice, it is great they all face the ocean
3) The grounds were beautiful
4) The pools, beach, facilities, restaurants, swim up bars...all great
5) The entertainment was great especially when you consider where you are..we loved the steel drum bands (they let us try playing ourselves), the performers in the theater were very good...
6) The list of positives is very long, I only listed some of them...but you get the idea

Negatives, only two:

1) I wish there was less seaweed in the ocean, that was disappointing, but at the French building you could walk out without any seaweed
2) And the second negative is we had to come home

Other comments:

1) We used Patrick Grandison's tour service for the day. He is great,
a very nice person with a brand new Toyota van, very accomodating, cheaper than the hotel service. We talked him into joining us for a drink at Ricks Cafe, he was very accomodating. I see from the rules on this web site that I can not provide a e-mail address or phone number but if you contact me I will provide you with his contact info.

2) We just loved the staff and their very genuine smiles and pleasant personalities

3) The ride to and from the airport althought 90 minutes is very educational as you see the villages and people of Jamaica...

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Liked — The exceptional staff
  • Disliked — The seaweed in the ocean
19 Thank RobGS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
Vancouver Island
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed a week at SWH, returned home April 1/07.
Flew SkyService charter. Not much postive to say about the charter, except it was on schedule.Think cramped sardines in a tin. Loved the Whitehouse, just a few negatives, many plusses. Didn't mind the airport ride to resort at all. Reminds us of going over hilly roads here on Vancouver Island. Arrived at 9pm. No towels or champagne. Check- in was, to be polite, really awful.
Had e-mailed the General Manager 2 weeks prior, and notes were placed on the file by our travel agent as well. Requesting a quiet room on second floor or above. We had booked an upgrade to Premium room. We are picky about noisy rooms. Travelled with our daughter and son-in-law so the files were cross referenced. Their room was as requested. Both got 1 upgrade to Luxury room. We were assigned and shown into our room, but which had guests already unpacked!. Back to the lobby at the opposite end of the resort. No availablilty nearby they said, except directly over the French pool, room 3315, music blaring until 11pm. We declined. Our party was shown 2 rooms in the Italian section, one room reeked of must, the other of stale cigar smoke. Declined again. Night manager suggested we stay in the French room, and they could move us next day, but only to 3410, again above the pool, but over a little. We reluctantly agreed, trekked back to room 3315. Resort at 80% capacilty.
Room Key was programmed incorrectly, bellboy could not open door. Back again to lobby, for second key. That Key did not work. It was 2 hours later, restaurants were closed, we were not happy. They called Maintenance at 11pm to fix the door. Got in, they arranged for room service to bring a meal. So next day, day staff at reception had received no communication from evening shift concerning the move, lots of hassles again,And the maid had cleaned 3315 for next guests, we found ourselves using our kids room. Happened to see a room being cleaned that was in a quiet section, so asked the maid if we could have a look, then asked reception if it was available. Yeah! checked in at 3pm in 3304. Another negative about the resort was that beach/pool towel supply can run out around 11 am. The standard answer is "more in 10 minutes". Checked supply at all three pools, no towels. We had 2 entire afternoons without towels, so pick up your supply earlier, to avoid this hassle. And told we can't snorkle off beach, had to take the boat out to reefs.
Now, the positives. Resort is well maintained, beautiful grounds, NOT at all crowded, exceptional service, and fantastic Spa facilities with top notch pampering treatments, Only Average to good food at al-a-cartes, but presentation is excellent. Very few sand fleas. No language barrier. Nice beaches- uncrowded., interesting contrast of knee depth ocean from sandy bottom to sea grass with lots of starfish, sea slugs, even a water snake. Gotta like that sort of exploring. Staff always helpful, professional. Plenty of pool and beach chairs available, choice of very clean pools- restful or rowdy. Weather included a pressure system, downpour anytime between noon and 1pm. Carried a beach bag and umbrella. Tropical deluge lasted about an hour. Kind of funny, yet a relief from the heat. Booked private, customized day trip with Talk of the Town Tours. David was our guide. Went to Negril and Little Bay. Excellent, outstanding day, highly recommend the guide and the company.
Second last day, we met briefly with Guest services to discuss check in hassles, they offered a service called Dinner on the Beach, for our last night. Great night, super service, excellent meal. Drive back to airport was with Nelson, a very informative, entertaining driver. Lastly, we will probably return February/08. Although we experienced above average hassle for a suitable room, almost everything else was exactly what we search for in the ultimate one week vacation spot. It is a jewel of a resort.

• Liked — uncrowded, relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — resort check in errors and guest inconveniences
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank diabow
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2007

My husband and I and another couple went to Sandals Whitehouse Feb 17-25. If you are reading this review, you have read the rest, so I won't bore you with the repetition that one finds here.
The resort is quite nice. Was it perfect? No, but who needs perfection. Our curtains were ripped, so what.
We arrived quite late and were given a 1st floor room in the French Village and our friends had a 3rd floor room. At first, I could tell my husband was disappointed, but the next morning showed us that our patio was steps from the pool and a hop and step to the beach. We could not have asked for a more perfect set up. As we stayed at the French pool the whole time, we never locked our patio and were able to go in and out to bathroom etc. Never had to tote a beach bag around. Also, our room was identical to our friends' room.
You may not find lobster on a menu, but go to the Bayside and just ask. We had 6 between the 4 of us.
Yes, no tipping is the rule, but we tipped our maid and the pool bartenders and it was much appreciated. When I asked for an extra bag of lotions, it was no problem.
We went for a couples massage, the champagne celebration. If you can handle the embarrasment of being helped in and out of the hottub(they insist) then it is quite decadent, but costly. And good for a giggle.
I saved the worst for last, that ride to the resort. We arrived at night and with them driving on the opposite side of the road it looked as if all these headlights were coming towards us in our lane. Very bumpy, very winding. We actually clipped another vehicle and only slowed down for a few seconds before speeding on. It was a very quiet ride as all were nervous. I even got motion sick near the end when I normally don't ,I had even taken a gravol pill just before the plane landed in case. (I took 2 on the ride back, which was not as bad in daytime)
All in all, we have been to almost as nice and just as nice resorts in Mexico with better food and entertainment for much less money, and no hellish drive.
Beautiful but, I probably wouldn't go back.

4 Thank WagsMedicineHat
CA
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Our stay was from 03/24-3/29. Just a little info regarding ourselves...We are in our late 30's & early 40's. Mostly do cruises, but this was our 2nd Sandals Vacation.

Before we left we received an email from Sandals to welcome us and give us some last minute infomation regarding what to do once we arrived in Jamaica and other misc. information. I thought this was a really nice touch. I have never had that happened before. She indicated that if we had any questions to please email or call Mon-Fri. I had one question for her, but she never responded to my email and it was at 2-3 days before we were leaving. I thought that was odd, it would have been better for her to send the email as information only and don't offer any other assistance.

Traveling from the west coast we decided to spend 1 night in Houston, so we wouldn't be so tired when we arrived in Jamaica. We had a 9:00 am flight and arrived at 12:30pm. We stayed at the DoubleTree Intercontinental Hotel in Houston. I did a separate review on this hotel.

Arrival: As soon as we arrived at Whitehouse the bellman come out and welcome you home! It was such a warm and inviting feeling.

Room: We were upgraded from a Premium Room to a Grande Luxe Beachfront located in the Dutch Village. Only difference is that it was on the 3rd floor instead of the 1st. I loved the view of our room. Right in front of the Dutch pool and music played all day until around 11:00pm. Not too loud, but nice enough to enjoy if your slider was open and waited to take a nap with the music playing in the background. The crowd was never noisy. I would have sat on the balcony more, but the chairs just aren't real comfortable. I'm one that likes to lay on a chaise and go to sleep from my balcony, but that is a personal preference...nothing to take away from the room. Room was spacious and layout was ok.

Food: We ate at Arizona's, Guiseppe's, Bayside & Eleanors. Dinners were all very good. Arizona's is very casual and I wouldn't go for dinner, but lunch or a snack is good. Disappointed that lobster was not served at any restaurants during our stay. I called the front desk and they told me it was not available. I found that strange, since I have heard others say it was available just a couple weeks back. We were only there for 5 nights and missed the Seafood Buffet on Thursday, so maybe it was offered there.

Drinks: All pretty good. Tried Hummingbird, Dirty Banana, Choc Monkey, Pina Colada's, Makin' Jamaican Babies, Purple Rain. My husband kept ordering strawberry margaritas, but since they didn't have fresh strawberries, they didn't taste too good. Once he realized they had the frozen strawberry daiquri machines, he got those from there on out and really enjoyed them. The Pina Colada's were good too.

Staff: For the most part everyone was wonderful....We ran across some staff (bartendars) that just didn't seem like they wanted to be there. Like I said only a few....the others were wonderful. It really seems as if they truly love what they are doing. We received a call from the concierge office just to make sure that we were enjoying our stay and wanted to know if we needed anything. I told him that we were having a good time and all was good. Keep in mind that we were not staying in a concierge room. We really appreciated the phone call.

Tours: We have done so many tours from cruises that we really couldn't find tours that we wanted to do through the resort. They are not cheap either, so I didn't want to spend almost $200.00 for a tour if I wasn't completely sure about it. I was disappointed that the 2 tours that I was interested in were not available. They were listed on the website, but when I asked about them I was told that they were not available. The catamuran cruises were not being offered because the boat is broke down. It sounded like it had been awhile too. The Rhinos (individual boats) were not being offered because a new contract has not been worked out between Sandals and the vendor.

We pre-booked a tour through TOTT for a day trip to Negril and so glad that we did. It was only the 2 of us and we were on our own time. We were picked up at 9:30 and returned around 6:00. Soloman arrived early to pick us up and off we went. He stopped off and at a few different spots that we would have never stopped on our own. We did shopping, stopped at Sandals Negril for a couple of hours and headed over to the west side of the island where the cliffs are at....Went to Pirates Cave, Ricks Cafe and others. We had dinner at a local restaurant and then headed back to Whitehouse.

I'm so glad that we booked with TOTT, this was one of the best days of our trip. I was originally a little nervous about wiring the money for the deposit, but it was no problem. If you are seriously thinking about booking with them, you will not be disappointed.

Making Calls: If you call from your room it is .99 cents a minute. I also changed my long distance plan from home before we left and it was only .50 cents a minute to place to call from home. So we made a point to be in the room at a certain time to get the calls from the kids. We did have a signal with our cell phone, but never used it...It would have been a little over $2.00 a minute.

Activities:Really not much going on @ night. We were in our room by 9:30 each night. Did enjoy the hot tub each night after receiving our call from home. Very relaxing way to end our night.

Caribbean Night is on Monday's and this was pretty good. I would recommend to get there @ 6:30 to get a seat and not have to wait. Good food and everything set up so pretty. Afterwards we went shoppping from some of the local craft vendors.

SSG Dinner - is on Wednesdays and a great place to meet others and share your experiences. The dinner was just ok.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. We had a wonderful travel agent, Amy @ NDC, who is great to work with. The resort is beautiful and plenty of space for everyone to have a chaise chair by the pool. I never found anyone who couldn't find a place to lay out. The only real problem is that this resort is very isolated and takes at least an hour to get somewhere. That and the lack of nightly activity. I'm so glad that we were able to experience our stay in Jamaica....I can definetly see why so many people go back again and again.

I hope this review has been helpful. I have read other reviews since we starting planning our trip and it helped us so much. I would have given this resort a 4 1/2, but that is not an option. If it was closer other activities/shopping etc...it would have received 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2007
13 Thank Cruiser101
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Hubby and I just returned last night from Sandals Whitehouse March 28-31st.

This was our first experience at a Sandals resort after taking several

cruises and other all inclusive vacations.

Here are my observations:

THE GREAT:

Welcome lounge is a nice refuge at airport with snacks and drinks until your

resort is called over the PA.

Be sure to have a tip for the porters as they are not with the resort.

Bus ride is about 1:45 minutes and driver will ask if anyone needs to stop.

It can be a bit hairy for some, but I definitely enjoyed the scenic ride.

Location is absolutely beautiful, it's a true hideaway, with the mountains on

one side and the ocean on the other.

Fantastic location for relaxation.

Staff was very friendly and personable and always greeted you with a smile.

Grounds are well manicured and the gardens are beautiful.

Hubby had a sports massage at Red Lane Spa and couldn't stop raving about it.

There are lots of pools, so the resort does not seem crowded.

Each village has it's own beach area.

Food was good, we never had a bad meal.

Every request, within reason was 'no problem' mon.

Hammocks and swings on the beach -- very relaxing.

There is a mini-bar in your room with complimentary sodas, jucies and water,

no alcohol.

Rooms are ok, I only say this because the previous day we had an incredible

luxury oceanfront suite in St. Croix.

DVD/CD player in room, also bring your cable so you can play your mp3 over

the tv's speakers.

The maid does a great job of keeping your room clean.

Travel Tip: If you arrive between 11-5:00,head to "Bluefields" restaurant to

get something to eat after a long day of traveling. It's at the very end of

the beach by the French Village for outdoor lunch.

THE NOT SO GREAT:

We read about the safe, and again, I just saw another comment on how someone

had their room safe broken into. So we brought our own combination lock and

used that instead.

Unless you're staying in the concierge suites, there is no room service.

There are no robes in 'regular' rooms.

Restaurants are a little distance away. We stayed in the French village, so

it was a nice walk getting back and forth.

Most of the restaurants close for dinner at 9:30pm, so just make sure you get

in before 9:30.

If you're looking for nightlife, this is not the place.

Tours can get pricey, because of the isolation of the resort.

Internet connection: decide whether you want to use wireless or wired. One

day's use is $14.95, then it's 3 days for $21.95. Wireless connection was

not always dependable, had to use it in the bathroom area, but it's much

better in the main reception area. If you use wireless, and then go for

wired, the system will prompt you to pay again :-( You can rent a cable from

the front desk for $5.00

Note: Be prepared to spend 2 hours at airport. This is waiting to check in

for your airline and about 40 minutes in line to go through the security

line, then another 15 minutes in line for immigration.

Overall it was nice experience for us, I'm not sure we'll be returning to

Sandals again, we prefer a smaller resort, or may rent a villa next time, but

definitely Jamaica.

Just bring a great attitude and everything will be 'irie'.

• Liked — The Ocean View
  • Disliked — No Room Service
14 Thank BOSFlyGirl
baton rouge, la
Reviewed March 29, 2007

i think i read all of the reviews on this place on this website while preparing for my trip so i promised myself i would contribute when i got back. we were there for 4 nights starting on 3/23/07. i have only stayed at one other sandals resort and that was about 5 years ago when it was called beaches grande sport. there is absolutely no competition between these 2 resorts-the grande is not even in the same ballpark as this great place, even though the grande is a decent resort. although i will say that while both staffs were friendly, i seem to remember the staff at grande sport being a bit friendlier and more patient with guests. this is no big deal though and to be honest the staff could have been rude and it still wouldnt change the fact that the resort is gorgeous-i dont need to be babied and prefer to be left alone. the beach is clean and long and perfect. we actually saw the same guy rake the entire length of the beach by himself in one day (we noticed him throughout the course of the day). the water is unreal, you can see the bottom of the ocean as far out as you go, even on the glass bottom boat ride when we were in 40 ft water, you can see the bottom perfectly. the landscaping is perfect, the architecture sort of reminded me of universal studios which i thought was cool. the aquatrikes suck-they require ALOT of effort and dont seem to move very fast. the hobie cats were one of my favorite parts of the whole trip and i now have an interest in sailing i never knew about. you have to try this, they teach you in about 5 minutes and you figure it out on your own, i absolutely loved sailing in the ocean. the food is hit(more like a bunt) and miss. mostly miss, but let me explain. the food is fine if you are hungry and want something just decent to eat. but they spend more time on preperation and froo-froo than on actual food quality. arizona's however is terrible-worst food on the resort-trust me unless you want a fish taco (gross)! their food reminded me of school cafeteria food. just dont expect great food anywhere there and you'll be fine. if you do expect great food-you will be disappointed. i am not a picky eater at all so i did enjoy most meals, and i am not complaining or saying this took anything away from the resort, but i still know great food when i eat it and i didnt have any there. you'll be looking forward to coming back home and cooking. i am also a huge fan of chocolate and sweets, i eat these daily, but i can also say you will be disappointed with cafe de paris, sorry. something is missing from their desserts and im not sure what but you'll see what i mean. my theory is the sugar is not the same because their desserts really arent very sweet. you'll notice the cokes in your room fridge do not taste exactly like our cokes in the u.s., weird but true. you can find some good things to eat if you try enough stuff. i did love the crepes in the cafe. and we really liked the breakfast buffet at bayside-the waffles are great- which also turned out to be our favorite dinner spot. my wife liked her steak at eleanors. i did not like the braised oxtail (gross-bony and chewy) regardless, we didnt go for the food or the staff or the horrible travel to and from the resort, we went hoping to find an amazing beach and an amazing resort and a relaxing vacation which is exactly what we found. OH, and since i have noticed a couple of comments about the staff stealing from the safes i will say that nothing was taken from our safe that i have noticed, but it did seem like i locked the safe a couple times and when i came back it was opened, but i cant be sure, i also dont care since nothing was taken, but i would agree there is no reason to keep much cash on you since you dont need any at the resort, just tip the driver and the baggage guys at the airport. OH, and one more thing-probably most important so pay attention. the alcohol. it would probably take a whole bottle of their rum to put a 3 year old to sleep, it is near impossible to get drunk drinking anything during the day there and i had ALOT of drinks until i just got exhausted trying to get drunk and gave up. the secret is to drink wine starting at dinner or so and then until you go to sleep. the nightlife is sort of lame, but entertaining enough for a resort, there is always something going on, even though its usually a drum band of some sort. and i get up early and was usually exhausted by 9pm so i wasnt up late any night i was there. overall, i would say great place, if we decide to go back to sandals we would definitely consider going back here.

• Liked — gorgeous beach, awesome pool areas
  • Disliked — alot of walking due to size of resort
9 Thank jwooley23
southern Ontario
Reviewed March 23, 2007

Well our trip to Whitehouse was nice but having discovered that our cash had been stolen from the inroom safe on our last day definately left a very sour taste in our mouths.. some camera equipment and my fiances wallet were taken from our inroom safe but we did get the camera equipment and an empty wallet back... Security and the Day manager were quik to respond and make promises but none have been kept as of yet.. The money stolen was promised to be reutrned via a visa credit but that hasn't happened as of yet anyways this was our impression up until the last day.

Nice resort colourful and clean.. The staff overall were pleasant and helpful.. The ride to and from the resort is long about 80 minutes with a stop for a cold beer, smoke or washroom break. For breakfast we found the baysides buffet breakfast to be awesome.. for lunches the bayside and bluefields filled our needs nicely.. We also visited Arizonas and found it good. All in all we found breakfast and luches were not a problem but dinners could be a real hit or miss even at the same restaurant for the same dinner on different nights. The real treat is the little french cafe that serves coffee, pastrys and ice cream, you will become addicted to The cafe du Paris for it's delectible treats. The one thing that will strike you is how unbusy the place feels even though most of the rooms are filled.. This is mostly due to the several pools and the beach splitting up all the visitors nicely into small localised groups.. The reception hall is nice and we checked in without a problem other than that their credit card machine was down and had to return a few days latter to register my credit card for onsite purchases.. No cash is needed except for any local vendors that do show up once a week, otherwise your swipe card or a credit card is all thats needed and thats all that should be taken.The prices at the gift shops are in USD and are fairly reasonable but the charges at the airport are high if you need to use at $6 usd charge fee is charged at the airports atm machines.

I have to admit that we would,ve given Whitehouse 4 stars if we wouldn't have had our safe broken into but it did and management seems slow to rectify the situation.. I feel promises were made to satisfy us until we left the resort but time will tell if thats true or not and sadly for that reason my fiance and I can only give it 2 stars.. We had planned to return to whitehouse to get married in May but that has now been cancelled.. Under no circumstances would I take any more cash than what you need for the airports and thats it and under no circumstances would I leave anything small and valuable in the safes.. You,ve been warned about the safe but the resort itself can be worth a visit if you heed the safe advise..

• Liked — Nice looking
  • Disliked — Theft
15 Thank tomvill
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!