“Absolutely PERFECT!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Baltimore
“Absolutely PERFECT!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse. Our stay was from Nov 13-20 and I must say it was the perfect time to go. The weather was beautiful (about 85 everyday) with a couple welcome cool down afternoon showers. We stayed in the Italian Village in a Butler Suite. It was a large two room suite with stocked mini-bar (alcohol, soda and water) and large balcony with unobstructed view of the ocean. The bathroom amenities were great! The jacuzzi tub and two sinks are separated from the toilet and two person shower. The mattress was a little on the hard side but bearable.The bedside alarm clock was also a CD player (bring your own CD's!). We had a tv in the bedroom and in the living room. The tv in the living room also had a DVD player (bring your own DVD's!!). The sink next to the mini bar was very handy! The two couches were nice for lounging and we ate breakfast on the big coffee table a couple of times. We learned very quickly not to leave any food out (even in the suite) or it will be covered with ants in no time. The Butler suites are worth the extra money!! Splurge and be pampered on your vacation! Having the extra room was wonderful and comfortable! And I think the housekeepers pay more attention to these rooms!

Our Butlers were FABULOUS! Upon arrival we were handed a cell phone to use to contact our Butlers, Christoph and Patrick. We had more interaction with Christoph and we LOVED him! He always had a genuine smile and was very eager to please. Both Butlers alternate shifts so you always have someone at your beck and call from 7am to 10pm. At first we felt a little weird about asking for things, but acclimated very quickly. And if you don't call them, they'll call you and practically beg to do something for you. Christoph unpacked us and offered to repack. Everyday, we had our favorite beach spot reserved for us. They laid out towels with flowers, opened and positioned the umbrellas, brought out a cooler with our favorite drinks and put up a cute Reserved for Mr. and Mrs. Least sign. They made sure we had reservations at any restaurant at any time. Christoph drew a bubble bath with flowers and candles. Patrick and Tashwayne arranged for dinner on our balcony. We ordered from two different restaurants and had the best meal of the week! (NOTE:The balcony dinner set up is free because your Butler serves you but dinner on the beach has a fee because the restaurant staff serves you.) If you wanted a snack or other wierd request (like a whole cup of cut lime wedges), it was yeah mon no problem! The resort was fabulous but the Butler service was the cherry on top.

We went to the Spa for a Scrub a Dub-Dub massage. It was one of the highlights of our great trip. We both got a sea salt scrub that made my skin feel amazing! It was followed by a dip in our own whirlpool. It was HUGE! It was lighted and had a waterfall and tons of bubbles!! After that, we both got a complete rub down. My skin was glowing for days after!! My husband went back for another massage and I got a Margarita Manicure. It is a bit expensive but worth it!!

We didn't leave the resort and never felt like we had to. We were more than happy to sleep, eat or swim. We played pool and life size chess a couple times and had a blast watching the party boat sail by. Outside the Italian Villiage is a fruit tree. At night swarms of bats are flying all over and around this tree. It was so cool! The resort has tons of fountains and tables and chairs to chill in. Our favorite restaurant was Jasmine's but all the restaurants had a couple things we really enjoyed. The staff were great and looked out for us. We got reminders from many staff about reapplying sunblock after swimming. They see alot of lobsters walking round. We used the water trikes and the kayak. The kayak was another highlight! Little effort with alot of speed and sights!

This was the best honeymoon I could ever have imagined! Beautiful weather, room, service, food, drinks and fun. Do not hesitate and splurge for the higher room catagory!! You'll thank yourself later!!

• Liked — The large room, Butlers and food anytime you wanted it!
  • Disliked — No floaties allowed in the ocean.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ladies - do not wear perfume if you don't want to get bitten! Reapply sunblock after swimming!
1 Thank pouddaskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,073)
Sudbury. Ontario
Reviewed November 23, 2006

It is difficult to rate this resort because of my mixed reactions. You first have to endure a bumpy twisty bus ride that lasts between 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on traffic and the severity of the tropical weather.
The fantastically designed resort was carved out of the jungle. To this end there is a very serious problem with sand fleas and mosquitoes. The spraying was cancelled the week we were there because of a tropical downpour at the hour of spraying. I paid for it while the wife was totally unaffected. I still have large horribly itching welts all over my body. The resort nurse didn't offer any aid as the welts had begun to weep.
The choice of restaurants is extensive, but the quality is not consistant. A perfect meal at one will be followed by something inedible another time. It is a fairly new resort, having opened in February 2005, and I expect it is experiencing growing pains.
The staff is fantastic !!! Nothing but smiles and warm greetings.
Everything is absolutely pristine and sparkling, and the attention to detail is paramount.
In short, it has everything a return guest to a Sandal's property would expect.
The sculptues around the very vast property are breathtaking. I emphasize the vastness of the property because travellers with mobility problems are at a disadvantage. Although I was promised transportation at any time, it was not always forthcoming and I was forced to endure 20 to 30 minute walks to restaurants or back to my room, with many rest stops in between. Fortunately, there are a multitude of sitting places along the way. The room change request closer to the central action never materialised.
Each of the 3 villages, has its own pool and bar and giant hot tub.
Bring lots of film or digital capacity, because there is a picture every step along your exploring paths. I have included a few to give you an idea.

18 Thank Richard T
southampton
Reviewed November 19, 2006

If you are not a good traveller like me you will need some travel sickness pills, the transfer is one and a half hours through the mountains over many pit holes, there were a few green faces on arrival at the Whitehouse

There is a problem with sand flies, we never experience any problems but we took Jungle Spray tropical insect spray, and used every day, but there were a lot of guest with bites and had to seek medical advise, I think as long as you are prepared you should be ok.

We stayed in the Dutch Village which is in the middle of the French and the Italian, glad we weren't in the French it is the furthest away, and quite a walk, although the walk is a neccessity after many visits to Cafe de Paris and those extra pounds gained!

This hotel is finished very well and no complaints about the hotel in anyway, but if you want a Jamaican experience you wont get that here, you are in the middle of nowhere, I was led to believe we were quite near Negril but it is quite a distance and $180 return in a taxi. If relaxing doing nothing in wonderful surroundings is your thing then Sandals Whitehouse is for you.

Ewart and D-wight who work the bar at the Bayside, are very fun and entertaining, always attentive and ready to refill, my husband was disapointed we asked every day for Jack Daniels and was promised it they would get some but none arrived!

Rooms are large and spacious, we had a few minor issues that were dealt with by guest services rapidly, and wonderful aircon, there is a dvd in most rooms I believe, some nights we were so exhausted that we could have appreciated chilling out in our room, we didn't have concierge which ment we couldnt get room service, so we would definately have conceirge next time for those evenings chilling out in our room-but everyone to there own.

We had many a cocktail sat in the Italian pool swim up bar, try a BBC-baileys banana cream and run DELICOUS!!

• Liked — quality
  • Disliked — distance from airport
11 Thank fayebe1
Hopewell Junction, New York
Reviewed November 19, 2006

My husband and I stated at Sandals Whitehouse for 10 days from 10/30 through 11/08 and loved every minuet of it. We travel to the Carribean twice a year and so far this resort is the nicest we have ever stayed at. We have stayed at other Sandals properties which were beautiful, but this one is the Best! There are three Villages, Italian, French and Dutch. We stayed in the French Village. All rooms on the third and fourth floor had beautiful view of the ocean. The property was absolutely beautiful and the rooms and ammenities were kept up and clean and perfect. The refrigerator was well stocked every day. The food was very good at all the resturants and the staff all around the property were pleasant and happy to serve their guests. The entertainment was excellent on the weekend and during the week it was the usual Caribbean entertainment, fire dancer, limbo dancer, etc. The beach was beautiful, however there were sand fleas in the evening so use bug spray. The pools were great also....never a shortage of chairs. The main pool had activities all day long and the pool by the French Village was also great for sports.....Volleyball played all day. If you like quiet, I would recommend staying on the beach or by the Dutch Village pool.
The liquor was top shelf!
We stayed in the French Village which was the furtherest walk from the main area, however we did not mind the walk. For those who do not like to walk I would suggest booking the Italian Village. I would definately recommend this resort if you want the ultimate vacation .

• Liked — Beautiful property, beach and pools.
  • Disliked — Sand Fleas on Beach
9 Thank camillecam
Toronto
Reviewed November 11, 2006

We just arrived home after one incredible week at Sandals Whitehouse resort Nov 2-9, 2006. We had read some reviews of the resort that were negative. I don't know which resort these people stayed at. This was THE best sun vacation we ever had. We arrived after a 11/2 drive from Montego Bay. We did not have to touch our luggage until it was placed in our room. We were offered wet towels and champagne on arrival and sat in the beautiful lobby for 10 minutes or so while our check in details were all handled by the resort staff. We were then driven by golf cart to our room in the French Village. Upon arrival, we were introduced to Kevin Hughes, the food and beverage manager for the resort. Kevin kindly made dining suggestions, reserved a table for us at the restaurant of our choice, and asked us what type of wines we preferred. Our preferred vintage was waiting for us with our table at the Bayside restaurant at the resort. Kevin ensured that we were contacted daily about our dining choices etc. and ensured that we had a great table. Kevin and his staff are THE best. We have never had such amazing service like this anywhere. His staff were very attentive, assistants Amber and Alexander, waiter Chris, chef Senior, were always willing to help and assist us at any time. I hope we didn't forget anyone. On our last night, Kevin arranged a romantic dinner for us on the beach complete with white glove service, champagne, custom menu based on discussion with us, wine, photos, and serenade from the waiters (Anthony and Vinny), waitress Shaneika (also excellent !) and Malcolm the photographer. Kevin, thanks again for making our week spectacular. I will emphasize that ALL of the Sandal's staff are totally service oriented from front desk, housekeeping, watersports, the nurse...I could go on and on. Now as for the resort, we stayed in the French village in a luxury room. The room had mahogany furniture, four poster bed and wall unit and was spotless. Towels were replaced with turndown service and housekeeping promptly dealt with any requests we had. The minibar was stocked with complimentary soft drinks and water. The french village is furthest from the main piazza but believe me, after sampling the food and snacks at all of the Sandals restaurants, we needed the walk. Each 'village' has it's own pool. The french village pool was a little more raucous and much of the pool volleyball etc was played there. We stayed mainly on the beach, the dutch village pool, (quiet..very relaxing) and the main pool, which is gorgeous and more like a lake its so large. We never had a problem getting lounge chairs or towels. We were told they allow two chairs for every guest. I'm inclined to believe that. There was a daily acquasize class at 10:30 am led by Michael in the main pool This was a blast and many guests participate. We didn't use the gym but we hear it was excellent. The watersports were of course all complimentary and we tried windsurfing and waterskiing. The staff on the beach were very helpful with instruction as well as patient. As for the food, there were many dining choices, Bayside was more continental with various meat and seafood choices. We enjoyed the ambience eating out on the patio looking at the stars, the ocean, the fountain and gardens, casually, but with 1st class service. Extra portions were never a problem and we were able to mix and match entrees, i.e. lobster tails were always available upon request and/or shrimp with any other entree. Eleanor's was more formal (no shorts or jeans) and there were many different menu choices. The filet mignon and lobster bisque was excellent and we ate there twice. Jasmine's was also very good as well with choices for Asian and Japanese food. We didn't do dinner at Giuseppe's although we did have a lunch pizza from there by the pool and it was excellent. The Cafe de Paris has wonderful pastries made on premises, soft serve and hard ice cream, and all types of coffee and lattes and is open all day and evening. The pastry chef, Parmazu (not sure if I spelled it correctly so I apologize in advance) or ParmaPoo as the staff call him (jokingly of course) is incredible. On Tuesday night, he did the chocolate buffet, do not miss this ! It is a chocoholics dream. Breakfast was available either with table service at Eleanor's or buffet at the Bayside and there was a huge selection of eggs, pancakes..you name it. The omelette stations were great as well. We paid extra to have West Indian massages at the Redlane Spa. I highly recommend it. The grounds at the resort are magnificent, clipped and manicured daily with beautiful flowers and gardens. The beach is several miles long, white sand and you can find a private spot pretty much any time. The shops at the resort are well stocked and very clean with many choices. The staff at the shops were also very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. This really is the first resort we've ever been to where we have no criticism. We plan to return next year at the same time and would go back sooner if we could swing it. If you are looking for a place to relax, be pamperd, chill out, enjoy some fine dining and enjoy total relaxation, then the Whitehouse is for you ! We will most definitely be returning ( already counting the days). We would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Les & Paula Kirsh
Toronto, Canada
November 12, 2006

• Liked — Comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Pool area was a little loud so sitting out on our balcony wasn't always quiet but we always had other choices.
  • Tips/Secrets — Walk the grounds and make sure you see everything that is available in the way of facilities. It's a great way to meet new people
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
44 Thank gr8ca
Central Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2006

All I have to say is I am so glad I found this website before we went... so many of the tips were right on the money. We were very prepared, thanks to all of you who left reviews!!!

It took us two days to get there from Boston due to some horrible airport delays but it was well worth the wait. I would go through all the drama of the flight problems for the stay we had.

We stayed at St. Lucia Halcyon for our honeymoon so we had some idea what to expect... and that is the key to a Sandals vacation... come prepared and know what to expect and you will have the time of your life...

The bus ride is as people say on this website... It took exactly an hour and half. Part of the ride was fine through the mountains the second half was bumpy due to older roads. You stop halfway for a potty break and drink if you want one... We had the most rude group of 8 on our van (a family from Louisiana no offense to all the wonderful people of the great state of Louisiana) they were very rude to the driver but I don't think they even realized it. They started out to be obnoxious from the time they sat behind us on the plane from Miami and they never improved... We avoided them as much as possible during our stay...which was very easy to do since the resort is so big.

Check in was fast and easy. As stated in the reviews, cold towels and champagne. They quickly escorted us to our room. We received an upgrade. We had a very nice room on the fourth floor in the French village... perfect place to stay (a little far from the main area but not a big deal)

Bluefield’s was our favorite lunch place... quick, quality and consistent. Arizona's was ok (we had a slow person that day but we had nowhere to be so how bad is that)

The French pool was my favorite... the bar was great although they ran out of bananas during our stay which limited our choices as most of their drinks (dirty banana, Jamaican kiss etc. called for banana), pool volleyball every day... plenty of chairs everywhere to sit in and enjoy. Ample floats and umbrellas.

We had cloudy days with a quick shower almost every afternoon but once the rain stopped you never knew it even rained.

The food was great. Upon check in we were handed a map, weekly itinerary of activities and restaurant guide...if you don't get one ask! It tells you when some of them are closed. Due to special activities or special dinners for the guests they close some of the restaurants. Just be informed and plan accordingly so you are not disappointed. Giuseppe’s, Jasmines and Eleanor’s were all fine. I recommend you look at the menu before you eat so you have an idea what to expect. I am Italian and my husband is a picky eater and we always had a good meal.

Go to Eleanor’s for breakfast... super fresh and fast and very pleasant. Bayside was fine but Eleanor’s was just better

Excursions: all are far from the resort. Many guests loved the canopy tour. We preferred to spend our time at the resort enjoying the pool.

Water sports: plenty of sailing, snorkeling, glass bottom boat, scuba, water bikes, etc etc etc. No waiting no problems... lots of fun

Sand Fleas: They are what they are... Yes they are there, they are real but thanks to all of you writing these reviews I brought bug spray and I only had a slight few bites. My husband was too "busy" to spray and had little red marks on his calfs. Be prepared and you will have NO PROBLEM. They are mostly out at night (outdoor eating) and near the beach.

Photos: The sunsets were amazing... With the puffy clouds in the ski the sun turned them beautiful colors. Advice.... Get showered and dressed as you will and be on the Dutch beach near the rock jetty at 5:30 sharp. You will have a number of photographers waiting for you. Ask for "Headley". I am not kidding... He is the only name I specifically remember because our pictures came out amazing... REALLY AMAZING!! I couldn't choose they were so good. We had a number of different people take our picture but his were beyond incredible. If I can figure out how I will attach them to the review... He has a big smile and was very friendly and not pushy. He had us pose in what I originally thought was a strange pose but when I saw the pictures they were amazing. I am so happy I stopped and had him take our shots. That was the best part of the trip... Having these photos to remember it by.

Entertainment: It is what it is... Don't expect Broadway or Vegas style shows. The Playmakers have some fun entertainment with the couples and that was the best part of the entertainment. Definitely try to participate in the couples game show. We actually won but it was such an fun time we still giggle thinking about it. Magician was ok, the band was ok, it was all fine... nothing spectacular but fine...

Food, Room, Pool, Photos, activities I think that is it...

Most of all I really enjoyed spending time with my husband, not having to make any serious decisions, having all my needs taken care of and isn't that what a vacation is all about...Sandals is definitely the place for us... Most likely we will be booking our next vacation with them again but maybe this time in the Bahamas.

• Liked — The atmosphere was great
  • Disliked — So far away from everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Bug spray and sun tan lotion
35 Thank garys6girls
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2006

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Sandals Whitehouse. We couldn't have been happier with the resort. We stayed in the French Village room 3202. Nice location, we could hear the ocean at night and slept with the windows open.

The bus trip to the resort was fine. I had heard that it was alittle scary but I was pleasently surprised by how uneventful it was. I enjoyed the view out the side window and you really get to see how the Jamaicans live. I also brought my own drinks on the bus and was glad that I did. You do make a stop half way to the resort to use the restroom and buy a snack. Bring small bills with you on the bus to tip the driver. We had nothing smaller than a $20 on us, but the driver will provide change, just ask.

The resort was beautiful! Our room was clean and the fridge was stocked with water, soda, and juice everyday. I would suggest that you bring a water bottle with you to the pool because they do not supple water bottles at the bar. I spent most of the day at the french pool. The bartenders were awesome! Very friendly and entertaining! A must try drink is the hummingbird! The pool was never over crowded, and there were plenty of chairs and towels. In the afternoon they play volleyball. The weather was great, only rained two days while we were there and only for about an hour. They also supply umbrellas in the room.

My husband is a diver and went on 5 boat dives. Two dives are included each day. The morning dive is geared for beginners and my husband was alittle disappointed. The second dive of the day is for the more advanced divers. My husband really enjoyed this. You can either go to 60 or 90 feet. Since my husbands partner was not an advanced diver they went to 60 feet. They said it was still really good. They saw lobster, sting rays, and some small fish. You can also go on a night dive for $50.

We loved the food and drinks at the bayside. They have a wonderful breakfast buffet each morning. Wait in line for the omeletts its worth it! Also try the smoothies!

For dinner we had lobster which was very good. We never had to wait for a table at any restaurant. The italian restaurant was good, and the french bakery was to die for. They also have great coffee drinks. You can take anything to go, so even if your not hungry take some back to your room for later.

I went to the spa for a massage, the tropical bliss. It was just OK. The people there were very friendly, but the massage itself was just average. I probably wouldn't go back. Laying around the pool is just as relaxing!

Overall we loved the resort. It was very quiet, so if you want alot of action its not for you. Having been to Hawaii the last 4 years we really loved the peace and quite of the beach. In the mornings we were the only people walking. Also, the sunsets are the best! Make sure not to miss them.

I feel that we really got our moneys worth. The food and drinks were great, and the staff was wonderful! We are already planning on going back next year!

• Liked — stocked fridge
  • Disliked — checking out
  • Tips/Secrets — dont forget the sunscreen!
33 Thank snive4
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!