We just arrived home after one incredible week at Sandals Whitehouse resort Nov 2-9, 2006. We had read some reviews of the resort that were negative. I don't know which resort these people stayed at. This was THE best sun vacation we ever had. We arrived after a 11/2 drive from Montego Bay. We did not have to touch our luggage until it was placed in our room. We were offered wet towels and champagne on arrival and sat in the beautiful lobby for 10 minutes or so while our check in details were all handled by the resort staff. We were then driven by golf cart to our room in the French Village. Upon arrival, we were introduced to Kevin Hughes, the food and beverage manager for the resort. Kevin kindly made dining suggestions, reserved a table for us at the restaurant of our choice, and asked us what type of wines we preferred. Our preferred vintage was waiting for us with our table at the Bayside restaurant at the resort. Kevin ensured that we were contacted daily about our dining choices etc. and ensured that we had a great table. Kevin and his staff are THE best. We have never had such amazing service like this anywhere. His staff were very attentive, assistants Amber and Alexander, waiter Chris, chef Senior, were always willing to help and assist us at any time. I hope we didn't forget anyone. On our last night, Kevin arranged a romantic dinner for us on the beach complete with white glove service, champagne, custom menu based on discussion with us, wine, photos, and serenade from the waiters (Anthony and Vinny), waitress Shaneika (also excellent !) and Malcolm the photographer. Kevin, thanks again for making our week spectacular. I will emphasize that ALL of the Sandal's staff are totally service oriented from front desk, housekeeping, watersports, the nurse...I could go on and on. Now as for the resort, we stayed in the French village in a luxury room. The room had mahogany furniture, four poster bed and wall unit and was spotless. Towels were replaced with turndown service and housekeeping promptly dealt with any requests we had. The minibar was stocked with complimentary soft drinks and water. The french village is furthest from the main piazza but believe me, after sampling the food and snacks at all of the Sandals restaurants, we needed the walk. Each 'village' has it's own pool. The french village pool was a little more raucous and much of the pool volleyball etc was played there. We stayed mainly on the beach, the dutch village pool, (quiet..very relaxing) and the main pool, which is gorgeous and more like a lake its so large. We never had a problem getting lounge chairs or towels. We were told they allow two chairs for every guest. I'm inclined to believe that. There was a daily acquasize class at 10:30 am led by Michael in the main pool This was a blast and many guests participate. We didn't use the gym but we hear it was excellent. The watersports were of course all complimentary and we tried windsurfing and waterskiing. The staff on the beach were very helpful with instruction as well as patient. As for the food, there were many dining choices, Bayside was more continental with various meat and seafood choices. We enjoyed the ambience eating out on the patio looking at the stars, the ocean, the fountain and gardens, casually, but with 1st class service. Extra portions were never a problem and we were able to mix and match entrees, i.e. lobster tails were always available upon request and/or shrimp with any other entree. Eleanor's was more formal (no shorts or jeans) and there were many different menu choices. The filet mignon and lobster bisque was excellent and we ate there twice. Jasmine's was also very good as well with choices for Asian and Japanese food. We didn't do dinner at Giuseppe's although we did have a lunch pizza from there by the pool and it was excellent. The Cafe de Paris has wonderful pastries made on premises, soft serve and hard ice cream, and all types of coffee and lattes and is open all day and evening. The pastry chef, Parmazu (not sure if I spelled it correctly so I apologize in advance) or ParmaPoo as the staff call him (jokingly of course) is incredible. On Tuesday night, he did the chocolate buffet, do not miss this ! It is a chocoholics dream. Breakfast was available either with table service at Eleanor's or buffet at the Bayside and there was a huge selection of eggs, pancakes..you name it. The omelette stations were great as well. We paid extra to have West Indian massages at the Redlane Spa. I highly recommend it. The grounds at the resort are magnificent, clipped and manicured daily with beautiful flowers and gardens. The beach is several miles long, white sand and you can find a private spot pretty much any time. The shops at the resort are well stocked and very clean with many choices. The staff at the shops were also very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. This really is the first resort we've ever been to where we have no criticism. We plan to return next year at the same time and would go back sooner if we could swing it. If you are looking for a place to relax, be pamperd, chill out, enjoy some fine dining and enjoy total relaxation, then the Whitehouse is for you ! We will most definitely be returning ( already counting the days). We would highly recommend this resort to anyone.
Les & Paula Kirsh
November 12, 2006
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica