This resort is absolutely fantastic. I cannot understand the negative reviews one bit, except that people who write them must be really uptight and hard to please. This place is like a dream and my husband and I are still reliving our trip. We stayed there from Jan 9-January 17 in the Dutch village. My opinion is that the Dutch is the best because it's right in the middle of everything and is relatively quiet so you aren't bothered when you do feel like resting. There are just too many things to talk about, so I will hit all the points as briefly as possible.
BEACH: Oh, the beach. It's like a dream. One of the most incredible, romantic beaches I have seen. It's not even that is has the whitest sand or most clear water, it's just the whole surrounding atmosphere. It's like paradise, and when you take a stroll down past the point where the sandal's property ends, you really feel like you have been placed on a secluded island. Perfection.
RESORT: I just love the decor of the resort. It isn't perfect, but what is? I really liked the fact that it was spread out, because we did a lot of walking and trust me you need it with all of the fantastic desserts. It felt more like an entire community, rather than one small resort which I liked. Lots of places to go and things to do.
RESTAURANTS: We thought the food was pretty delicious.. sure there were a few things here and there I did not like, but overall I don't see how anyone can complain. We didn't even get to eat at all of the restaurants for a full dinner because there was so much variety. Our favorite was the surf & turf at Eleanors (order 3 lobster tails!) and the fish dishes at both Eleanors and Neptunes. So delicious. And the cafe de paris is to die for...nonstop pastry, coffee, crepes..what more could you need??
STAFF/SERVICE: We found the Jamaican people to be true gems. If you are open and friendly to them, they will open right up to you. I really cannot say enough good things about these people, we forged great friendships with a few and we miss them so much! Many of them have very little, but are such content spirits. We really enjoyed the people...try being friendly and open, I promise you won't be disappointed! Also, if you are in a hurry to eat your meals, this is probably not the best place for you. If you can sit down, take in your surroundings, make friends and enjoy every bite of food without worrying how much time it's taking to get your drink, then you will love it!
SPA: While I didn't try the spa services bc of cost, I did take advantage of the included use of the steam room/sauna. it was like visiting a very upscale spa and I really enjoyed sweating out some of the toxins I ingested the night before ;-)
FITNESS ROOM: Great little gym with plenty of equipment and no crowds.
EXCURSIONS: If you are thinking of doing any of these, I HIGHLY recommend the YS Falls & canopy tour: this place is breathtaking, close by, decently priced (71pp) and the perfect amount of time (4 hours door to door) After we went on this I recommended to several others and they came and found me to thank me. It is a perfect excursion.
DO NOT RECOMMEND THE DOLPHIN COVE: My husband has always wanted to swim with the dolphins so after several discussions he finally convinced me to go. I was completely disappointed. To keep it brief it was costly, not enough time with the dolphins, too touristy, too FAR away (3 hours each way!) and just overall not worth the money. I was so frustrated to spend $300 per person and to only get 30 min with the dolphins and practically no personal time with them. Save your money.
I know I said I would keep it brief, but it's really hard to write a short review on such an amazing place. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic, perfect vacation!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica