Sandals Whitehouse is an excellent property set amongst beautiful gardens and a backdrop of mountains and ocean. Traveled here with my husband for our honeymoon May 19-26 and it was truly a great experience.
The drive to the resort on the Sandals shuttle is really no big deal. I quite enjoyed the scenery along the way and the windy roads were all part of seeing the beautiful country side in Jamaica.
Check in was long, but easy. The staff were dealing with issues due to the roads into Whitehouse being closed earlier in the day (preventing staff and customers from getting to the hotel earlier in the day), therefore, not all the rooms were ready as soon as we arrived. That said, we didn't have to wait too long. Within 30 minutes, we had our room.
We stayed in the French Village in the 2nd lowest category room (no butler service) on the 3rd floor. The room was basic, but very clean - bed and linens were very comfy. We had a nice view of the pool and small view of the ocean. We really didn't feel we needed a butler as once you step outside your room, anything you could want is waiting for you (drinks, food, etc).
Pools at this resort are really nice. Specifically the main pool with the swim up bar. We enjoyed that the pools never closed. Every night at sunset we would take a swim and enjoy the hot tub at the French pool until dinner time.
Beach is BEAUTIFUL to look at, however, it was disappointing that it was not swimmable. Very murky water with a lot of sea grass and many jellies washed up on the shore. We rented a private cabana on the beach for our second last day and I highly recommend this experience. For $125 you get a full day in a private cabana with your very own Beach Butler to attend to you - getting drinks, lunch etc. Our Cabana was fully stocked upon arrival as per all the r food and drink requests we had made when we booked it. Romaine our Beach Butler was super nice and very attentive. I would choose a day or two or three of having the Beach Cabana over booking a butler room for the week.
Food was great throughout the resort. Our favorites were the jerk pit, Bluefields, Elanores, the buffet at breakfast and surprisingly, Giuseppe's (Italian) was pretty amazing. We were not super fond of Neptune's or the French Brasserie. The Cafe De Paris is also an amazing food spot serving the tastiest coffees, pastries and crepes all day.
Bars were decent and drinks tasty (not too sugary if you asked). Our favorite was the Neptune's outdoor bar. The bartender Copeland who worked there was quite entertaining. We found the Martini Bar to be way too over air conditioned (to the point where it was unpleasant) and also a bit of a lame, sad place. We avoided this one.
The Garden tour with Oshoi (every morning) is AMAZING. Don't miss this. Oshoi gives the most informative tour about not only the gardens he maintains at SWH, but throws in many tid bits about Jamaican culture and history and even sings some Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. Oshoi is not only great at his job, but he is also a genuinely nice person. Don't miss him at the beach party either - he's the guy hacking the coconuts and serving them with either straight up coconut water or rum.
As many other reviews have stated, it's the staff that makes this place. From the lifeguard staff to the entertainers, everyone we met was so welcoming and sincerely wanted to get to know us. Demar (water lifeguard), Keon (bartender), Romaine (Beach Butler), Cheldon/Angelita/Owana/Prince (entertainers), Fiona (Elanores Waitress) and Oshoi (Gardener) - thanks for making our experience at SWH extra great.
We were sad to leave on our last day...almost shed a tear when the staff came out to our bus and sang a GOOD BYE SONG!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica