“Best wedding Anniversary vacation”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Toronto, Canada
“Best wedding Anniversary vacation”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I just came back from our wedding anniversary vacation at Sandals Whitehouse. It was the best all inclusive vacation we ever had. We booked a Concierge room in the Italian villa and that choice has exceeded all our expectation, We were pampered from the time we set foot at Sandals. from unparalleled service, to quality of food and cleanliness of the property, nothing is left unchecked.

now to the details

ARRIVAL
Although a lot of reviews were critical regarding the bus trip to an from Sandals, I agree that the road is a little rough, but overall, we took the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and have a view about the Real Jamaica.
upon arrival at Sandals, we were offered refreshing towels, and were taken directly to the club quarters (Concierge) for our exclusive check in. while we were waiting, we were offered a signature drink and pastries. Check in was easy . then our concierge took us to our room in the italian village , ground level, with a view at the beach. The room was very clean.

Beach / swimming pools
Although some reviews were critical regarding reserving the beach chair very early , It was not the case. Some chairs were reserved by butlers, but we never had any problem finding a place, either at the beach or at the pools.
on slight critic is the fact that the beach is rocky, and lots of alguaes, and at times, there are some Jelly fish having fun near the shore. I was stung by a Jelly fish.
However, it did not deter us from swimming in the sea. I would recommend the beach near the Italian Village, as it is not eroded compared to the Dutch and French beaches.
I highly recommend booking a cabana for 1 day, it is an experience that you will not regret. being pampered for a whole day, and having breakfast / lunch by the sea while having access to unlimited drinks is great.
The swimming pools are great, but we preferred the Italian village pool by far, and although it was noisy at time, it was not as bad as the french village pools (apparently this is where people go to party). The dutch pool is the quietest by far

Food / Drinks

overall the quality of food was great, we enjoyed every restaurant there, however, compared to other reviews, Jasmine's was the least favorite, as we felt that we were having buffet style asian food. Bear in mind that I am picky when it comes to asian food.
I highly recommend the following restaurants
#1 Neptunes
#2 Bluefield for authentic Jamaican food
#3 Bayside for Breakfast
#4 Giuseppes
#5 Jasmines

Also, Cafe de Paris was always our highlight for the day, espressos and cappucinos are to die for, and do not forget to indulge you with a Crepe or their great pastries. Ask for Shadae, a great person and always smiling..

and..... IT IS A MUST... the Jerk Shark... Thanks Tracy Ann for your great service...Jerk Pork and Chicken are to die for

as for drinks, and since we were at Club Level, our room was always filled with prime alcohol (Scotch, rhum, vodka), and the fridge always filled with beer, white wine and champagne

at the Italian pool the bar is lively, great bar tenders, and great drinks. we always indulged ourselves with Jamaican Smile, Dirty Banana and Mojitos..

ACTIVITIES
Since our objective was to relax, we did not sign up to any activity outside Sandals... In fact there's a lot to do within the complex. we sailed every day (Hobby Cat) and sometimes 3 times a day... Rasheed has been great with us in term to securing hobby cats
We took the opportunity to go snorkeling ... but there is very little to see
around the property, there is always something to do... from pool to table tennis tables
Also, since are are avid Tennis players, we went playing Tennins every morning (7 AM , before the heat). there are 3 well maintained Tennis court.. also my wife took the opportunity to improve her play with the help of the resident coach... Ask for TROY... he is a great coach

There is a very well maintained gym with high quality machines and a Yoga studio

Finally take the opportunity to participate at the power walk on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday (from 8 am to 9 am). you will have a chance to walk outside the property and into the hill closeby, where you will get a chance to explore the flora and have a great view at the top of the hill.

SPA (RED LANE)
we indulged ourselves for a couples scent of Love 90 minutes massage, although slightly expensive, it was worthwhile and very relaxing. as usual were well taken care of from the time we set food at Red Lane.. a great experience.

OVERALL , we rate our experience a 5 star. Service is excellent and employees are constantly do the extra mile , with a great smile, to make you vacation unforgettable. We are already looking to book our next trip there.

thanks you team Sandals Whitehouse

Room Tip: Italian Village, Club Level room .. note all rooms face the beach
10 Thank Ramy Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,073)
oakville
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ok so it is my 9th time to this resort. And yes I have been to all the other Sandals resorts including Grenada but this is definitely my husband and my favourite. First let me deal with the issue of the road to Whitehouse. It is horrible. That does not take away from your experience once you arrive on property and you instantly forget the drive. This time around we were fortunate enough to share a helicopter to the property with friends. It definitely cuts down on the cost. There is a website that you can find people to share the ride with and that brings the cost down to $175.00 per person. This is less than the helicopter in St Lucia. The ride is amazing and takes 20 minutes instead of the usual 1 3/4 by road. We did take a private transfer back to the airport which was $50 per person. I did hear that the road would be finished by August. Color me sceptical !!!
We stayed in the 1 Bedroom Beachfront Walk-out Suite with Butlers. We have had this room and quite a few other categories on this property but this is our favorite. Do not get it if you want privacy but we wanted the beautiful beach view and terrace. Camille & David are in my opinion the best Butlers on the property. Their attention to detail was amazing and Camille even called me when we returned home to make sure we arrived safely.
The beach has erroded significantly in the French Village but they were bringing in truck loads of sand daily to rebuild it. The rest of the beach is lovely and they have even improved the beach in front of the Dutch Village.
The food was very good. Now I have to say after Grenada nothing compares. If you are a foodie you must go to Sandals La Source. Get the lowest category of room but GO!! The service in the restaurants at Whitehouse was amazing. Even breakfast at Eleanors was fast which it hasn't been in the past. Steak at Eleanors was the best but the Duck in the French Restauant was also very good. The Jerk Pit chicken is an excellent snack.
The staff were all super friendly all over the resort. A big shout out to Oshie the head gardener, you have to take his garden tour at 9am one morning it is awesome. Also have to mention Keon, he is truly the life of the party at the Italian pool.
This resort definitely has the WOW factor. We will return again and look forward to a smoother ride from the airport when we do.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Ocean. The higher up the better the view. Dutch Village is quiet and has a grea...
8 Thank dreamakerOakville
Shallow Lake

SANDALS WHITEHOUSE REVIEW:

I need to preface this by saying that Grenada was our first Sandals, and it is a hard resort to beat. I am going to give an honest review (pros/cons) and try not to compare Whitehouse with Grenada ‘too’ much! I am 31 years old and am from Canada.

Beach:

Pros: Gorgeous for walks, awesome sunsets. Easy to get beach chairs (we don’t care about getting a “hut” in the shade so we never had a problem). Loved the mature trees on the beach.

Cons: However, swimming in front of the resort was not for me (unless I had water shoes). Rocky, grass etc. My husband is used to swimming in weedy lakes etc. here in Canada but did admit that the rocks would sometimes hurt his feet.

BUT…Down on the natural part of the beach, I swam almost everyday (without water shoes). Smooth sand under your toes. I do recommend visiting this part of the beach a few times during your stay as it is lovely.

Pools:

Dutch Pool-

Pros: We loved the Dutch pool (quiet pool/reading pool). It wasn’t always quiet though, there is a bar but people don’t get as rowdy as the other pools. Never had problems getting a float/ mat in this pool at any time of day. Bartenders were great at this pool (see staff section). (No cons in my opinion for this pool). Our room was ground level near this pool so we used the washroom in our room. If I was from another village though, and wanted to spend the day at Dutch pool, I might suggest adding a washroom here. The closest one for us was the Concierge bathroom (had we not had ground floor walkout room).

Riveria Pool-

Pros: games/music were fun. It is a large pool with swim up bar. Didn’t have to wait too long for drinks (considering how many people were in this massive pool). Entertainment staff were upbeat. Zero entry is a nice feature.

Cons: Could not get a float in this pool unless you got there in the morning. Could not get a chair by this pool one day (around 3 pm), which is to be expected at that time of day. We were able to get chairs another day closer to noon though.

French Pool-

We did not go here so to be fair I won’t give a lengthy description. They had nice tanning beds there but lots of shots at the pool bar so a bit noisy for reading (from what we could tell).
Hot tubs are at every pool but the jets don’t turn on at all or are weak. Temperature of hot tubs is good.

Grounds:

Pros: immaculate. Gardens and architecture are beautiful. The resort is spread out nicely so you don’t feel overcrowded and this is one thing I loved about Whitehouse. We did not think it was a long walk from one end of the resort to the other (as others have mentioned on trip advisor). It took us about 6 minutes (walking a good pace) or 10 minutes at the most if we were taking our time and taking pictures along the way.
Fire pits are GORGEOUS at night and love all the nice seating areas around the resort (furniture is great and nice décor everywhere!
- No cons for grounds

Food:

We are vegetarians so we might have a different perspective than others. I ate fish here (I normally don’t) because I just didn’t have a lot of choices to go the ‘no meat’ route every meal. We are kind of “foodies” as well so take my comments here with a grain of salt. We met many nice people (from America) who loved the food but they tried the meat dishes whereas we didn’t.

Pros:
- Restaurants never felt crowded and only had to wait for dinner one night at Eleanor’s (25 minutes)
- Jasmines was our best meal on resort and ties with the meal we had at the Pelican Bar. Jasmines’ salmon was great as was the miso soup (which they made without the crab for us). They were accommodating here and made the sushi veggie sushi for us. Staff was great here too.
- We had a good dinner meal at Bluefields (didn’t like the lunch there though). I had snapper fillet which was great and my husband won’t eat fish but there was one veggie option there (a veggie bean pie). We both loved it! Great ambiance at Bluefields for dinner (go at sunset).
- Bluefields and Neptunes are great outdoor beach side dining options if dining atmosphere is important to you. We also liked the dining atmosphere at Giuseppe’s (both indoor and out) and at Jasmines (indoor).
- Pelican Bar meal was great! Remember… the Pelican Bar has an extremely small kitchen as it is a bar made out of driftwood in the middle of the ocean. Others had fish there but we just had the sides (which was rice/beans and a well seasoned veggie stir-fry with breadfruit).

Cons:

- Bayside- breakfast was bland. Didn’t like dining atmosphere. Didn’t have dinner or lunch here. Had a late night snack here, which was bland and under seasoned.
- Neptunes dinner- not good. Lunch was okay (salad was under dressed and sweaty – which is to be expected in the Caribbean climate). The best salad dressing I had was at Bluefield’s and it was a sugar cane dressing.
- Giuseppe’s was great for lunch and they were very accommodating about taking meat off for us and adding extra veggies. We ate this almost everyday for lunch though as it was the best vegetarian option for us….gets heavy after a while though. Overall, wish the resort had more light options for lunch---vegetables/bean/salad types of dishes . They did have a veggie wrap at Baysides (pretty gross) and fish sandwiches at Neptunes and Bluefield’s though.
- Eleanors: Lovely atmosphere but did not like the food (meat eaters loved it there though).
- Café De Paris- my husband loved the treats here.
- For snacks: Jerk Pit (we obviously couldn’t try it but other guests liked it a lot). Popcorn machines in a few places (great!) Also, they had empanadas but we couldn’t eat them because they would not make us a veggie one.
- We were lucky and got upgraded to Concierge level room so most mornings we ordered breakfast from this menu (which was better than Eleanor’s and Bayside which are the two places you can get breakfast). I am sure meat eaters loved Eleanors but we had little options there.

- We are pretty good at “modifying meals” if the kitchen will do this for us (which was easy at Jasmines (dinner) and Giuseppe’s (lunch)) but not at the other restaurants.
- We found in Grenada that it was just a lot easier to do this. For example, we LOVED LOVED LOVED the vegetarian selections at Butch’s steakhouse in Grenada (which were on the menu). That was a “steak house” and we ate there easily. We really aren’t as picky as this review sounds. I understand they are cooking for the “masses” but a little bit of seasoning doesn’t hurt, Whitehouse.

Staff:

Pros:

- Housecleaning and concierge were very friendly (all but one concierge staff who seemed very very tired).
- Bar staff at all bars were great
- Special compliments to Dutch pool bartenders: Tikisha (spelling?) and another young man (can’t remember his name) but he was being trained by Tikisha. Tikisha made a great “Itchy ban” drink (probably not spelling that correctly) and from what I understand it is a drink that she made up. Tikisha would come around to the staff and offer to get us drinks so we didn’t have to get out of the pool. These two young people were such hard workers and deserve a lot of recognition. Both kept the pool free of empty cups and were genuine and easy to talk to. What hard workers! I would promote these two if I had a say!!
- Keon- he is mentioned in many reviews on here, but he is great. We met him in Grenada as (we think) he was there helping to get the other staff trained. What a riot he is!
- Entertainment staff (the right people were in these jobs). Very upbeat.
- Jerome- our photographer. He is 21 years old and a very pleasant young man. He did a great job with our photos and was not pushy.
- We never once saw a spa staff offering “special rates” as other reviewers have mentioned so this was not a problem for us. We didn’t visit the spa this time but heard it was really good with a great sauna in it (which you can use for free without purchase of treatment).
Best restaurant staff in terms of friendly, genuine smiles- Jasmines. Manager there was also great.

Cons:

Some staff seemed to be “going through the motions.” I am sure they deal with some rude customers and I sympathize with this. We just found the staff in Grenada more eager to please, cheerful and easier to strike up a conversation with. I do need to make sure that I say they were still attentive, the service was timely, maybe not always with a genuine smile (or a smile at all), but drinks were filled promptly etc.
Photographers got to be a little much. One in particular. Ask you quite a bit if you want a picture and this is good, but if I want a picture and I see a photographer standing with camera in hand, I will go ask. I would maybe have one photographer per village set up at a station where people can choose to seek out the photographer (add this to the map of the resort). That way, you’d have less photographers approaching guests (to have more than one photographer approach you within the same hour is a bit much after 7 days of this). BUT our photographer for our picture night (Jerome) was excellent and the photographer that came to the Pelican Bar (Sheldon) was also great. These two were not pushy but there if you wanted to capture a moment.

Water sports

Pros:
- Watersports at all Sandals are great (from what I understand). Loved paddle boarding, kayaking and Hobie-cat sailing.

Cons:
- Staff (one guy was not very friendly at ALL). He clearly was more interested in listening to the game on his radio then telling us what boards to use.
Pelican Bar Excursion (Island Routes)
Was one of our best meals. Loved wading in the water. Got to hold a sea urchin. Staff was friendly. Catamaran cruise out to the bar was a riot. Bar tender on board the catamaran was really sweet as was the rest of the crew. I highly recommend this tour- it was a blast!!!!

No cons.

Activities/Entertainment

Lots of activities during the day at this resort. I don’t see how anyone could get bored here (TV/games room, pool table, Ping-Pong table, tennis, b-ball net, gym (which had great equipment!), and lots of activities from the entertainment staff.
Night entertainment was good too (and we loved the karaoke/martini bar). We especially loved to grab some wine and sit on the big long comfy chairs in front of the fire pits at night or lay on a hammock.

General:

- In general, the crowd seemed pretty young (early to mid 20’s) but there were some couples older than us or around the same age as us. I found this resort to be a “younger” crowd than in Grenada (Grenada had such a mixture of all ages).
- Layout of resort is fantastic!
- Having Concierge was a nice touch for us. We didn’t drink a ton of the alcohol in our rooms (as it’s an all inclusive resort and we spent little time in our rooms, but it was nice to have it there). The room service option was also a blessing for us.
- No complaints about our room. Yes, the décor is a bit dated but we don’t care about that as we are never in our room. Spacious and bed was very comfortable. Always had clean towels and fridge was stocked promptly.
- We get a direct flight from Canada so the trip wasn’t bad. Lots of comments about the ride from airport to resort on trip advisor. We didn’t mind the ride at all and felt safe the whole way.

Overall, a good trip but I will try the other Sandals now or similar resorts.

10 Thank Natasha W
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at here for one week for our honeymoon July 2013. First impressions after the bumpy ride to get to the hotel was good however we were disappointed with the check in process in terms of having to sit and fill the check in form. This is the first 5 star hotel we have had to do this normally it is completed electronically by staff or prior to our stay.

The room was very disappointing, the décor and size of the bathroom and balcony was poor considering the footprint of the property. The mini bar was stock well and the view was beautiful, we were in the French Village on the top floor. Cleaning service was also prompt and efficient, enjoyed coming back to see the towel art the maid had done.

The food was very good at all the restaurants except Giuseppe’s, where the service was poor. We actually left the restaurant because it took nearly an hour after our starters for the main course to arrive. We kept being told it would take 10mins before it arrived. When we did leave the supervisor came running out of the restaurant with our meals saying it’s now ready we didn’t go back however. One bonus of this hotel is not having to make reservations for the restaurants, this meant you could decide last minute what took your fancy rather than usually having to make decisions on what where you would like to eat days in advance

Our favourite restaurant was Neptune’s, the service and quality of food was very good. An asset to the resort is the patisserie café; it had the most amazing cakes, desserts and coffee. We would usually skip desert at the restaurant and have it here, a must try is the Gluten Free Brownie it was amazing. Don’t miss out on the Jerk shack on the beach, the food was really good, for lunch we mostly went there or ordered food from one of the restaurants and had lunch by the pool.

The service we received from staff was good, we took part in the aqua aerobics most days by the main pool, also had a tennis lesson from Vivian the tennis instructor. We went out on the free boat trip to the reef but didn’t actually see any fish.

Although we are beach lovers we didn’t enjoy the beach here, the sea was murky and had a lot of seaweed. It could have just been the time of year we were there as this was not representative of the picture we had seen on the Whitehouse website.

Overall we had a good experience but would not return; we have stayed in other 5 luxury star hotels and found them to exceed the standards of Sandals especially in terms of value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LesieDB
Gainesville Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We celebrated my 60th birthday by spending 6 nights here. Started the visit off right by swinging into the Sandals lounge at MBJ, grabbed a Red Stripe, used the restrooms and headed out to meet our private transportation provider, Ashton Pitt. Ashton is a real pro with a red plate on his well-maintained sedan. He provided us with a fantastic ride over to the south coast with plenty of narration along the way. I’ll bet this ride rivals the trip from MBJ to Negril back in the 1980’s and early 90’s. There is probably a tee shirt opportunity here for some entrepreneur. This was well worth the fare and sure beats the bus ride. Only thing that could top the transport with Ashton would be the helicopter service from MBJ to Whitehouse. You can catch up with Ashton at: AshtonPitt@yahoo.com.
We had reviewed Sandals Whitehouse web site so we knew what the resort offered. We booked our visit with the Club Level services. Check in was smooth as silk. The staff did all the things that we expected from them and did it with the warmth that we have come to love from our Jamaican hosts. Travel is rarely flawless and this visit had its little hiccups. One presented itself at check in when I asked our Concierge for a copy of the contract that the guest must sign at check in. I won’t mention the young man’s name here but a copy of the agreement I did not receive. From the look on his face I knew I had asked for something that is rarely requested and that the establishment would like to keep to themselves. Is it not proper business etiquette that what you sign you have the right to such a copy? No harm, no foul and I was not in the mood to follow up with this as the stay progressed. I would encourage all guests to ask for a copy of the contract and we should all keep asking until such a copy is presented to the guest and becomes standard check in protocol.
The facility is excellent. I know buildings and mechanical technologies and the resort is doing a great job keeping up with the ware and tare that both Mother Nature and guests inflict on a beachfront property. The management was in the process of pressure washing the Dutch Village buildings during our stay. The work reminded me of the crew who maintains the paint on the Golden Gate Bridge….When you finish the job, you just start all over again because you are really never finished! Our room was very comfortable with ice cold A/C and a ceiling fan over the bed. My wife had it so cool in the room that I slept with the covers on every night! Club level provided us with a well-stocked bar in the room with a fifth each of rum, vodka, gin, scotch, red and white wine, Champaign, Red Stripe and all the juice, water and soda we could care for. One note on the bottled water…..it has sodium in it at a rate of about 12% daily allowance so if you are one who watches your salt intake the bottled water is not sodium free. Our housekeeping expert, Ingrid, kept the place spotless and entertained us each evening with the best “towel art sculptures” we have ever seen. Ingrid always had a smile for us and a positive personality that made us feel very welcomed each and every day. The TV reception was pretty poor in our room but who watches TV when you are in an oceanfront suite on the south shore of Jamaica? The TV itself was a flat screen and I suspect the reception problem is in the distribution system as I saw some perfect TV reception on some of the sets in the entertainment and bar areas. I was impressed with the wooden decks and docks scattered throughout the resort. The owners chose teak wood for these structures, not the typical pressure treated lumber so common today. The entire complex exhumes a sense of quality which is of course one of the reason the prices one pays to be there are the way they are. The place has a lot of class and the Concierge even arranged for a small cake which was delivered to our room in recognition of my birthday. Thank you Club crew for the nice touch!
We were completely satisfied with the food and with almost all of the service at the restaurants and bars. The world is not perfect and although the resort tries its best to be perfect it can’t. Just remember you are in beautiful Jamaica and enjoy it all even if something goes off key. I would suggest that the “Jerk Pit” step up the spice a bit in their pork and chicken….it was a little flat. My wife thinks the management has created a new food style she named “Jamarican” Jamaican food tailored for the American taste. We prefer Jamaican food when we are in Jamaica.
The grounds are filled with all sorts of tropical vegetation and we highly suggest taking the resorts guided garden tour. Our guide was a very talented man by the name of Oshio (OG). Oshio really knows his landscaping and the history of the resort and of Jamaica at large. I’m not much of a gardener but this 1.5 hour walk was awesome. Thank you OG for your performance and for your sincere kindness!
The staff does make you feel very welcome. OB, a water front supervisor is a friendly man we first met in Negril. He always greeted us with a genuine warm smile and greeting each time our paths crossed. When OB is around, his workers fly through their assignments! Corona in the Bay Side dining room went out of her way to help us and greet us every day. That is very special as she could have as easily just performed her required jobs in silence. Nice touch Corona! We met our favorite mixologist, Shamone at the Neptune Bar on our first day of our stay. All week long, she always had a smile for us, was a lot of fun and was very entertaining.
Something the resort has little control of is the quality of the local reef. We went snorkeling right away and we were disappointed as the reef has much to be desired. We don’t SCUBA but we love good snorkeling. We feel bad for the guests who have this reef as their first snorkeling experience. You won’t fall in love with snorkeling on a reef like that. The boat driver, Camual, (I won’t grace him by calling him Captain) must have been having a bad week as we could not get anything out of him except for what’s on the corporate script. Not the kind of guy you want to sign up to be around. I found it interesting that he and his mate were soliciting for an early morning snorkel trip for $30US per person. They promised a much better reef and experience. I thought the snorkeling was included in the fees? I also wondered if the managers got a piece of the action since the crew was obviously using the company’s boat and resources for this extra activity.
One night, the evening entertainment featured a steel drum band named The Silver Bird. The MC introduced them as the best steel drum band in the world……and now I believe her……they were awesome…don’t miss them if you have a chance. We may have run out of energy in the evenings and missed some of the dancing and carrying on that happens as the night heats up but we needed some more dancing opportunities before the night got too long. However, that might just be a product of our current stage in life; we want to dance but can’t stay up long enough for the music to start!
We enjoyed the couples Swedish massage at the Red Lane Spa. Bent worked on me and Sandra worked on my wife and we suggest you give these ladies a chance to work on you too. The perfect plan is a massage as soon as you arrive and one just as you depart. More massage……less MD’s!
We spent our days on the beach at the French Village. The restaurant Bluefield’s Beach Club is there and so is yet another well stocked swim up/walk up bar so all our bar and food needs were at our finger tips. A couple of years ago a hurricane blew through the waters of Jamaica and this beach (and the reef) took a beating. The erosion was evident but in no way made this beach undesirable. As reported in many a review, there is a rocky bottom in the shallow water as you enter the sea but one can carefully pick one’s way through it or better yet, float over the rocks until you get to the sandy bottom just 15 meters from the waterline. Reports of jelly fish are true as my wife got stung on the arm. The watersports men directed her to the bar tenders who promptly poured white rum on the sting for instant relief! This place could do more for those who enjoy a la natural sunbathing and swimming. We read that some guests use the west end of the resort (French Village) for this purpose but we saw no evidence of this and we didn’t want to try to start something without knowing the resorts protocol. All prudes and no nudes much like any beach in the US.
We have been around and Sandals has a lot of good competition. Whitehouse is a beautiful facility. The beach and snorkeling were not as good as what we expected. That was disappointing. The food quality was superb as well as the friendliness of the entire staff. We may or not return to Whitehouse because of the beach and snorkeling but we may visit a Sandals establishment again in the future. We still like the beach and waters of Bloody Bay in Negril.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GvilleTraveler_9
Houston
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse, and it was perfect. We wouldn't have changed a thing!
Let me start by thanking Carey at Beach Bum for picking the perfect location for us! I gave her such a large list of likes and dislikes I thought it would be impossible to find the perfect spot, and she did just that. She also assisted us with multi-city airfare due to a destination wedding and planned all of our excursions and a romantic dinner for us. I literally didn't have to do a thing!

The resort/ room: It's beautiful. Everyday that I woke up there were so many people working on the grounds to make sure that they were immaculate. We stayed in a "Penthouse Butler Suite" in the Dutch Village. The room or rather rooms were spacious and cozy - I felt right at home! The bed was super comfortable, and who doesn't love an extra large Jacuzzi bathtub? It was also great to have to separate rooms - if the hubby wanted to sleep in, I didn't bother him at all and was able to enjoy the amazing view from my balcony while eating breakfast and having coffee! Of course our butlers Davion and Damion were awesome and always had treats and surprises for us.

The Pools: We ONLY swam at the main pool. It was amazing. Keon - what an experience. I feel in love with him. He was fun, and he made it such a great experience. By my second day he knew what I was drinking and always took care of us. Sure, there are bees around the pool bar area, but they never bothered us at all. But what do you expect with all that sugar sitting around? Everything was clean and neat and well kept - and the drinks were awesome. I tried them all I think, but my favorite was lime vodka lemonade on the rocks. YUM!

The Food: It was good - not great, but good. We are from Houston, and I am a huge foodie. I went in knowing I wasn't going to get that, but we enjoyed most everything we ate - the only place we didn't try was Bluefields. Room service was great and spot on. AND THE JERK PIT: We ate here every day for lunch or a snack, whatever, it was a necessity! The jerk chicken literally changed my life.

We are already planning to go back in February.This time we did stay in a butler suite because it was our honeymoon and Davion and Damion were fantastic, next time we may look into concierge level, but it all depends on how we feel when we book - we aren't really "needy," so didn't utilize the butler service the way I am sure most people do - BUT, everything we asked them to do was done and done to perfection, we had beautiful tables and reservations for dinner every night, great snacks, fun treats, pool side chairs reserved with a loaded cooler - they also took care of all of our check in and out processes.

I am spoiled, I stay in five star hotels, and I like to eat at great restaurants - you have to remember you aren't in America. All of the reviews that have negative things to say seem to be silly and obscure - and from what I've read come from people who need to stay at the Ritz in a major US city.

Best Resort I've been too - I love it. See you in February Whitehouse! Carey, we can't wait to work with you again!

Thank you to all of the amazing staff at Sandals Whitehouse, thank you to Davion and Damion for making it so memorable and special, thank you to Keon (and all of the other bartenders as well) for rocking the bar and making it so much fun and a GIANT THANK YOU TO BEACH BUM AND CAREY for making this whole thing possible!

24 Thank KCline41
Cairo, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Overall, our Whitehouse trip was GORGEOUS!
Let me go over the few things that we found to not like, then all that I did :)

1st, the restaurnats are VERY unorganized. No matter which one we went to, we had to order something, more than once. That is extremely frustrating. Most of the time it was a drink, but still. The problem being - that you have 5 different people trying to take care of your table at once, and they all get confused and forget things. Also, for seating. They have a hostess who seats you, but also takes your drink order?! Most of the time. This didn't always happen, but it did often - especially for breakfast.
2nd, the playmakers were boring. Coming from St. Lucia where the playmakers are great - we were quite disappointed. The main pool was boring too, the music was hardly loud enough to hear most of the time. Luckily, the bartenders were able to help make the pool a little bit of fun. So props to Keon (for always singing since the music was barely hearable), and Renaldo who was an absolute joy to be around - always joking around! They make the best drinks too!
3rd, our turn down service was very late some nights, 9/10:00 so we often turned it down because by 10PM we were already in bed. The nightlife was very quiet here - once again, a disappointment because prior we were in St. Lucia (which has a great nightlife).
4th, I pre-ordered and had liquor imported specifically for my husband (which I paid a pretty good price for) that was supposed to be in our room upon arrival, it wasn't. They had to go hunt it down and didn't even know about it. They called our room after it had been delivered apologizing and saying they didn't care that type of rum on their resort. Yes, I know - hence why I paid to have it imported and placed in our room for arrival. Again, with the organization thing.
5th - We set up a photoshoot at a specific time, that I booked way prior to arrival. It's a good thing we stopped in to confirm it - because they had no record of it. so we were able to do our shoot the day we booked, as planned. Unfortunately - we waited for a photographer for a little while which in turn ended up running into our candlelight dinner. We also got an inexperienced photographer. These were our 1 year anniversary photos and we were very much so looking forward to great pictures. Some were great- but we didn't get what we really wanted, and were disappointed. The young man that took our photos was very great, and halfway through the photos one of the other photographers did come along to help him.

The rooms were great, but the whole time we were there our room was never under 70 degrees - even though we had it set as low as it would go.

Pros
The food was absolutely amazing!
Giuseppe's had pretty good Italian food! My favorite was the pasta fagioli soup, and the spaghetti bolognese!
Jasmine's was DELICIOUS! Their curry chicken dish was absolutely AMAZING! I insisted on going back more than one! YUM!
Eleanor's also had great food! They also have a "surprise" dish to begin your evening meal!
Cafe De Paris was absolutely awesome, great for coffees and late night snacks!
Bayside is always great, although during the day - I wish they were open for more than 2 hours for lunch. They have quite the variety of food for each meal! So awesome because you are able to try so many different things!
Bluefields- also, YUM! Their chicken patty's are a MUST TRY!
The Jerk Pit - was okay. The food was VERY good, but ask for extra sauce - because the extra really makes the chicken (or pork). Be prepared though, they chop the bone up with the chicken so be careful when eating that you don't swallow a bone.

As usual, the concierge was great. It's the way to go. Check in was nice and easy after the hour and a half horrible ride to the resort. The first half of the trip is okay - it's the second half that is bad. They also organized our candelight dinner special for us, because the original menu for us was alot of seafood - and we don't like that. They took an order for us from Giuseppe's and our candlelight dinner was perfect.

A to the Z was absolutely awesome! I was taking photos walking around the resort and he stopped me and was speaking to me for a good half hour about my camera! He showed me some new things for shooting in the lighting and overcast skies of Jamaica! I was very excited that he took that time with me!

The fire pits were beautiful, and very relaxing!
The beach was well groomed, but if your a beach person - this is not the place to visit. The beaches are very small, and the water isn't great.

We did 2 catamarans - one to the Pelican Bar - the other for snorkeling. Both wonderful experiences. I highly recommend both of them! The Pelican Bar is just amazing, and something you will never see again. The snorkeling brought us to a sandbar close to the coral where we seen some amazing things! (Including little baby squid! SO cute!)

The spa! We ended up with 2 massages - one because I booked it before we left, and the other because I found out we had a 150.00 spa credit, both were great! The therapists were wonderful and friendly.

My favorite part - and what really made my trip is how absolutely beautiful the grounds are.

Overall, we didn't stress the small things and enjoyed ourselves. While we had more "fun" in St. Lucia, we were able to have a much more relaxing time at Whitehouse. We re-booked for 2015 - but we are not 100% sure that we are going to keep that reservation or move it to another resort.

Room Tip: Italian and Dutch villages are the best. The higher up - the better the view but honestly, they all...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!