“Some great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Some great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

It's a beautiful place and the grounds are kept immaculate.
The food is good but we have had better at other Sandals resorts.
The staff were all excellent and nothing is too much bother for them - particular mention to three of them - Michelle from the concierge, Lucille from the restaurants and Sharmone from the Neptune bar.
It's nice but it lacks a "heart" - what I mean is a central bar where people meet at lunchtime and pre dinner - I felt exactly the same when we went to St Lucia.
Antigua remains our favourite Sandals - but we'll see what Barbados is like in March 2015.

1 Thank BillyBonker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,024)
France Lynch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

we booked the sandals resort for one weeks stay in May 2014 for a very special occasion which we had saved up for over a year for this special holiday. Unfortunately they really need to address the attitude of there manager and front desk staff. Being an Englishman I don't rant and rave and it's seems they only respond to people who make a scene and should loud enough. we had informed them of our special occasion months before we had even travelled and HAD filled in an online booking in form 7 days before we travelled to speed up our checking in process - what a load of rubbish that was, having endured a 9 hour flight, followed by 2 hours back breaking journey via unmade roads to get to the resort late afternoon I informed them I had checked online as instructed 7days previously only to be rudely told NO you have to fill in this form, when I questioned this saying already done this, the guy was very rude and said I must of been mistaken!
In other words fill it in or stay somewhere else! The resort is lovely and the down to earth bar & restaurant staff are great, piano bar fantastic including the lovely bar staff there. But seriously the front desk staff really need to change there attitude to paid customers. On the day before we were due to leave news got around about the locals barracking the road access to the whitehouse to stop anyone going in or coming out of the resort which meant we couldn't get out on our planned trip which was very annoying and quite frightening at times to think that the locals are that angry with sandals, the police turned up and then were later sitting in the restaurant at the resort eating dinner! I think sandals should help sort out the problems with these roads and it should also be mentioned in there brochure that you have to endure this very bumpy and uncomfortable 2 hours journey from the airport. Finally we celebrated our special occasion, unnoticed and unresponsive to sandals, who opening say in there brochures "celebrating a special occasion" let us know! Other couples we met had been given a bottle of cava which would of been a nice gesture.
Finally, Asked to speak to manager before we left to go home he wasn't available or wouldn't show his face, let the other staff take the flack. I did put in a complaint to sandals when I got back home only before they sent me a feedback form, and I'm still waiting for a reply 6 weeks later from the manager of the whitehouse resort.......which leaves a bad taste in mouth.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank R L
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our second time to Sandals Whitehouse. We travelled from April 3-10. It had been five years since our last visit and it was even better this time. We had the Honeymoon Beachfront One Bedroom Butler Suite. We started our trip with Sandals sending a private car for our pick up. It was a lovely drive to the resort...certainly different than on a bus. When we got to our suite in the living room there was a birthday welcome for my husband with cake, champagne and cheese and crackers. The bedroom was decorated and there was a bubble bath waiting. Everyday our beach chairs were waiting for us and our butler had a cooler with champagne on the beach. All of the restaurants were very good and we especially enjoyed Eleanor's for breakfast. Everyday there felt like paradise and we would definitely recommend Sandals Whitehouse. This is our favourite Sandals resort and we will return again.

Room Tip: The Dutch and Italian Villages have the best suites and rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank beachgirl2013
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I were at Sandals Whitehouse from June 6th-15th, 2014. We arrived early evening on the 6th and found it very easy to navigate customs and find the Sandals lounge. We enjoyed the lounge as we waited for our shuttle to be ready. The worst part of the trip was the commute. Because it was Friday evening the roads were busy with people out so the 90 minute transfer turned into over 2 hours. The check in process was not as easy as we've found at other resorts but it might have been that we arrived late with just a few people working. We did get checked in and to our room though. We however arrived when all the restaurants were closed so we either had to wait until 10:30 pm to have snacks or just go to bed and wait till breakfast. We chose the latter since we'd been traveling since 5 am.

Room
We stayed in the French Village in room 3122. We loved the view and the fact we could walk out our room to the pool. I had expected a Beachfront room as that is how it is advertised online but this was actually better. Our room was always cleaned and loved when they turned it down and there was the "Daily Breeze" so we knew what was going on each day. Our room was stocked with water, juice and pop. Would have been nice to have snacks but guess we'd have to get the higher level rooms for that. One downside of the French Village is that you have to walk the entire resort to get to the dining, shops and activities. Plus to this Village is the same as the down side though... it is quiet because you are away from the festivities in the evening. I found the bed somewhat hard but I do have a bad back so am much more sensitive to bed softness.

Pools and Beaches
We did not visit the Dutch pool. It looked very quiet but was also the smallest. We visited the main pool a couple of days. This pool was very laid back. They had some activities at this pool throughout the day. We didn't participate in any of them at this pool. The bar at this pool was the reason we didn't spend more time here. Service was slow. The beach at the main pool was nice. It was sandy but had weeds that I didn't like wrapping around my ankles. It was also not clear so couldn't see what you were stepping on. We spent most of our time at the French pool and beach. The beach had more shade than the main one, however, it did have rocks you had to go through to get to the sandy part. Definitely would recommend water shoes. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool. We played volleyball just about everyday and the bar was on top of your drinks. Thanks to Avral, Delroy and Jermaine... Avral even made my husband his special lemonade. It was easy to find chairs at both pools and beaches every day. It was even easy to find floatees.

Activities
They have a lot of water activities included which we did go kayaking one day and also snorkeling. We were not impressed with the snorkeling as it was more floating on top and looking down as it was so shallow. There also weren't the vibrant colors we thought we'd see. We did see lots of fish. We had planned on going scuba diving... however, because we had not been diving in their time tables we would have had to take their class for $80 each. Wish that would have been explained better on the website. If you have not dove in the last six months you will have to show them you have the skills to dive and if you haven't dove in nine months you have to take their class. Makes it difficult when we have snow nine months of the year where we live. We could have squeezed in a dive though before we went had we known. We had also signed up for one of the tours that you have to pay extra for, but because enough people didn't sign up for it we didn't get to do that one so can't give any information on the Island Tours. The resort is good about having activities to do throughout the day, evening and night so you can be as active or not as you want. We went to a lot of the activities but some nights we just laid in the hammock on the beach or on a couch by the fire. My husband really enjoyed the Beach night where there was tons of food set up buffet style to try. We also did a photo session as wanted to have pictures of our trip but wouldn't have had to do that as they have photographers taking pictures all the time of you. We also did the couples massage at Red Lane Spa.. I would definitely recommend as thoroughly enjoyed it.

Restaurants
We made a point of eating supper at each restaurant during our stay. We also found that you need to order an appetizer, main meal and dessert to get filled up. We found all wait staff very friendly and only really slow service at Guiseppes.

Bluefields - we ate here the most mainly because we ate lunch there every day but one. Awesome food and view. It is right on the beach so can get windy and the birds do hang out right in the restaurant. We did have supper here too and it was one of my favorites.

Neptunes - the food was good here. We had a signature dish and it wasn't a very big portion so we were both hungry yet when we left. The view is again spectacular as it is also on the beach.

Bayfields - we ate breakfast here everyday and lunch one day. They have a buffet for both breakfast and lunch and my husband likes buffets as he can choose what he wants to eat. They do have omelet stations and a smoothie station. Both good but will wait for omelets as the lines were generally long. The food was very good. We had supper one night. The food was awesome. I did not get filled up on what I ordered but my husband had plenty to eat.

Guiseppes - I did not care for this place. My husband said his meal was good and filled him up but mine was cold and didn't fill me up. Plus the service was really slow. This is the only place we chose to sit outside so not sure if that is why it was slower or not.

Jasmines - I loved this place and this is the only place we ate at twice for supper. The meal filled you up and was very tasty.

Eleanor's - we ate here only once because my husband had to wear pants at this one. The food was very good as was the service.

Café de Paris - this is where we went when we didn't get filled up from supper. They had delicious sweets and ice cream. There is usually a line so had to wait and a couple of nights the service wasn't very friendly but for the most part was good.

Jerk Pit - this is only open at lunch time and we did have lunch here one day. It was very good but was expecting a sandwich but got a pile of meat and a piece of bread. It also had a lot of bones in it that you had to pick out.

I think I covered everything pretty thoroughly. I would recommend NOT flying out on the 7 am flight as we did. You have to leave the resort at 3 am. We also didn't have anyone come get our bags at that time so had to bring them up from the French Village. That was an error on part for booking that flight. We completely enjoyed ourselves here. We said that we would never visit the same place twice so we always see something new but are very seriously considering coming back again so that says a lot.

5 Thank Nanette S
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I always dreamed of going to Jamaica for our honeymoon. We put a lot of effort into deciding which resort we wanted to spend our week at. After much time and effort, and reading many reviews, we decided on Whitehouse. Our stay was from 06/08/14-06/15/14. Here is a timeline of exactly how our arrival went.

when you land at the airport in Jamaica you are directed into a Sandals lounge where you wait for your shuttle to take you to your desired resort. Whitehouse is an hour and a half away and unfortunately not on highway roads. It was just us and one other couple on an extremely bumpy ride, but it wasn't terrible. We spent most of the time laughing...and praying we would make it. Once we arrived at Whitehouse we were greeted with cool towels and someone to watch our bags while we checked in. When we walked inside we were greeted by a friendly young woman with complimentary drinks for my husband and I.

When we arrived at the counter after filling out all of our paperwork we were told our room wasn't ready yet. This was at 1:30PM. They told us check in was at 3 and we needed to come back then. The woman who greeted us with the drinks took us to one of their restaurants (of her choosing) while we waited. A nice gesture, but after getting only an hour of sleep after our wedding and traveling all morning, we just wanted a shower. It was an Italian restaurant which was not terrible.

After lunch it was about 2:30 so we decided to walk around and explore a bit. We were SO upset with what we found. The beach was dirty and the water was murky at best. Who travels to the Caribbean to swim in water you can't see your legs in? The pool was massive and had a swim up bar, which was one of the things we were excited for. There was not a single person on the beach; everyone was partying at the pool. The restaurants were a row of buildings along the side of the resort. There weren't any overlooking the water or with some cool scenery; they were all the same. *I've included a few pictures below*

When we got back to the desk at 3PM they led us to our room. We paid extra for the Honeymoon Beachfront Walkout Room. When they lead us into our first room, we are on the first floor with a patio facing the pool. When I tell the boy who brought us there it is not the room we paid for he said he needed to call the front desk. He proceeded to take us to another room. This time the patio did technically "walkout" onto the beach...after you climb the hill, walk through the grass, and cut through the trees. And the kicker was the patio door couldn't lock from the outside...the whole point of the "beachfront walkout room". The boy then told us Whitehouse did not "MAKE" those rooms. We told him to take us to talk to the manager.

When we were brought to the front we talked to Michael, the "MOD" (Manager On Duty). He confirmed what the boy said in that they did not make these rooms. We spent at least an hour in the lobby of Whitehouse arguing with him embarrassed as other guests couldn't help but stare at us. When we told him we paid an extra $800 for that specific room and wanted a refund he said he was not authorized to do that and instructed us to contact Sandals. We told him we did not want to be charged for an international phone call so he set us up to talk with Sandals. After a ten minute call with the woman at Sandals, she said we were eligible for a refund, then said we were not because we had already checked in and it was now in the hands of the reservation manager. When we asked to speak to her, Michael played the middle man; we weren't actually allowed to speak with her. It was a very shady situation. After another 45 minutes or so, he told us we can either stay at Whitehouse (but the refund was not happening) or we could be transferred to Montego Bay. I was all for being transferred because how could our experience, and the beaches, be any worse. But my husband was worried if we decided to transfer that we'd get all the way back to Montego Bay and not have a room there either (because as I said the whole situation was extremely shady). If we stayed in Whitehouse he said he may be able to get us turndown service for one night (something that should be complimentary in a concierge room when you are on your honeymoon, FYI) and a complimentary 30 minute massage. I convinced my husband to transfer.

When I told Michael how truly disappointing the resort was in comparison to the pictures on Sandals website his response was, "Oh come on man, you know they photoshop those things." I could not believe he said that! But he did. And in this case he couldn't have been more right.

Around 6PM we got a call in our room that our shuttle to take us to MB had arrived. A boy with a golf cart came and picked us and our luggage up so we didn't have to make the long walk yet again. We loaded our bags and hopped on the bus with our driver and his girlfriend. He was friendly. As soon as we leave Sandals property he looks at us in the rear view (it is only my husband and I on the trip this time) and says "I was supposed to be off by now but you two were an emergency shuttle, and I was the lucky one who got to take you. I had plans tonight so this is what I'm thinking we're going to do..let me tell you my plans." He told us he actually lives in Whitehouse, where he has dinner plans, but since he has to go back to MB to take us he is going to stop by his house where his "sweetie" is going to go in and get their dinner, stop by the grocery store, and get some petrol (gas). To say this is not how I envisioned my honeymoon starting would be an understatement. But in fear of how he would react if we protested, we said sure. We ended up being just fine on the ride, though a little on edge. We got to MB around 8PM after all of the stops. When we arrived they did not have any paperwork for us (due to our unique situation, I believe) but still sat us down with a complimentary drink before taking us to our room any way. The room was gorgeous and the staff was amazing.

I will never revisit Sandals Whitehouse and I will never recommend it to anyone. We got one hour of sleep and left for the airport at 4:30AM with the intention of arriving in Jamaica at 11:30 (plus the car ride) so we could be on the beach, drink in hand, starting off our honeymoon the way you should. Instead, we lost the entire first day of our honeymoon, for what? We will never know if Whitehouse truly doesn't "make" a beachfront walkout room or if they were just overbooked and trying to cover their butts. I have heard this is a five-star resort and other couples love it, but we sure didn't.

Room Tip: Do not waste your money on a "Beachfront Walkout Room"....apparently, they don't make...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank DRLW07
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hello and thank you for your review.
While we are truly happy to hear that you did enjoy your honeymoon at our sister resort, we are deeply disappointed to learn that you were not pleased with your experience at Sandals Whitehouse. Your opinion is very important to us and we have noted your dissatisfaction with a number of amenities. We will be notifying the General Manager of your concerns and he will look into the matter and make appropriate changes were necessary. We do hope that we can welcome you back in the future to one of our lovely properties for a stay that is sure to exceed all of your expectations.
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Keep in mind - I believe this is an AMAZING PLACE to honeymoon. I'm kind of a pessimist so will likely harp on the negatives of the resort over the positives. That being said, I would recommend this resort to ANY Honeymooning couple as my wife and I had an AMAZING time.

On my honeymoon with my wife from June 10-20, 2014.
The trip to the resort was not as bad as most people say.
It was quite fun watching the narrow windy roads and seeing how close the drivers drove to the other cars with ease!

I'll break down my review in sections as follows:

Food:
For a 5 star resort I was not particularly impressed. The food was quite good, but it was not something that I looked forward to with drooling saliva as I have on some cruise ships. Most desserts I tasted were terrible, and there was not a single good soup that I enjoyed.
Steaks were decent - but this is coming from a Calgarian steak snob. I don't want to be completely negative as alot of the food was also very tasty - lamb chops at Giuseppe's were to die for as was the fish sandwich at bluefields. It was neat that they also offered the exotic Jamaican breakfast over at Eleanors - some kind of saltfish stirfry - fun to try new things, not exactly my cup of tea for the morning though =P

Highlights
Breakfast - Oatmeal at bayside
Lunch - Fish Sandwich at Bluefields
Dinner- Lamb chops at Giuseppe's, Shrimp at Eleanors, Pate at bayside

Rooms: Extremely nice rooms, room service twice a day helped since we came back to the room 2 to 3 times a day just to cool off in the nice Air conditioned rooms. We were in the french village, which we enjoyed as we always got a nice walk to the restaurants to give us a healthy appetite, or a nice walk back from the restaurants to digest before settling in for the night.
We also enjoyed the exclusive access to bluefields which in our opinion was one of the best restaurants on site.

Service: For the most part I was quite please with the service. My single two complaints are as follows:
1) We did not get a do not disturb sign when we checked in. We did not get a do not disturb time after asking for it the first time. We received one after asking for a 2nd time. This was irritating for the first few days, as we would constantly get disturbed (due to the two room services a day in addition to the drink service)
2) Bayside has a night snack service where you can order food between 10:30pm and 5:30 am. The wait time for this food service was RIDICULOUS. They usually would not come out to take your order until around 10:45-11pm and once the order was taken it would take over 45 minutes for them to come out with dishes as simple as a plate of fries. Was not please with this.

Cleanliness: I have to give Whitehouse props. Sandals Whitehouse is by far THE MOST BEAUTIFUL RESORT I have ever been to. This was further supported by our short trip to Sandals Negril which does not compare in the slightest (no offense to Negril)

Other: both my wife and I were very please with the large amount of activities on the resort that did not have any extra costs -

Tennis: I played about 4 times with the Tennis pro - Troy. He was awesome to learn from as well as to rally with. Really patient guy and always very encouraging when giving tips. Probably my favorite resort activity

Water Activities: Wife and I got to go snorkeling and Sailing as well. Wakeboarding is also available but the line ups seemed a bit long for this.

Overall this was an AMAZING resort to stay at. My review may have listed off alot more of the negative aspects (apologies for being a pessimist), however my overall feeling of the stay was very positive.

I would most definitely come again if I needed another post wedding relaxation session!

2 Thank Andrew C
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Traveled to Sandals Whitehouse for our WeddingMoon June 14 - June 20. We booked our trip through Nikki at Beach Bums Vacations. Nikki made everything so easy. I was nervous about getting married about of the country but Sandals and Nikki made it all too easy. Our trip started out on a nonstop First Class flight, thank you Nikki :) Our wedding on the Beach was beautiful, kudus to Noah, our wedding planner and Ricardo our photographer, they both helped make this day special. We truly had so much fun getting married there. As for the resort, we started in the French Village and used our resort upgrade to move to the Dutch Village, not a huge difference in the move. Just a little closer to most of the activities. Glad it was a credit we used. Absolutely no problem finding a chair at the pools or beach. The food was good but nothing to get too excited about. As others have said the beach was less than stellar. It was not the powder white sand and crystal clear water we had expected, but that did not keep us from snorkeling, sailing and I even water skied in the ocean! We would definitely use Nikki again and would enjoy visiting another Sandals

Room Tip: Corner room has better view of the Beach. Italian Village is closest to most activities
25 Thank Joni B
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,150 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!