“Wonderful place to stay for couples”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Wonderful place to stay for couples”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I honeymooned here and it was perfect! The saying around the resort is that it is called the newly weds or nearly dead resort and this is because it is either people on their honeymoon or people in retirement, but the best part is that there are no families! If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is perfect for the following reasons:

- Always lounge chairs available at the pool or on the beach
- Staff is extremely nice and accommodating (We ate at the Chinese restaurant, which I don't like and the staff was willing to go to another restaurant to get me food)
- Very Clean
- The food is good
- There is always a breeze to keep you cool (we did a day trip and had lunch at sandals Negril and it was VERY hot there)
- There is plenty to do at night, whether you go to the live shows they have or go to the martini for drinks and dancing.
- The spa is amazing! My husband and I got massages on the beach and it was one of the most relaxing things I have done.
- The bartenders are very friendly and keep it lively at the bars

There are few small complaints I have:
- The staff at the spa constantly comes around to try and get you to sign up for spa treatment and it can get annoying
- The service at the sit down restaurants is a little slow in my book, but that could be because I am from the New England area and we like everything to be done yesterday.
- The food is not that great at the Italian restaurant, but decent. This could also be because I am from an area of an area in New England where Italian food is very popular

If you are going to go to his resort I highly recommend upgrading to a butler suite. My husband and I had concierge, which was nice, but we met a couple who had a butler suite and it was VERY nice. The added convenience of a butler made it that much better.

3 Thank Rachael S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,076)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2014

For a first trip to Jamaica this was an excellent experience. I was a bit surprised to learn upon arrival that the resort is a 'couple's resort', however, even that didn't hold me back from having a great time. Between the service, the scenery and the excellent staff at Sandals White House my stay was one to remember. Aside from things outside of the resort's control (the bumpy, long ride to the property and the weather, which happened to be perfect) the resort itself was everything I could ask for. The staff was second to none but if I had to call out a bright spot among them it would be Karalee. If you don't know who Karalee is by the end of your trip then you stayed in your room far too long. She is everywhere! During the week she was in charge of a number of events and if you're in her veiw she WILL get you to participate. We hung out with her in the pool...at the events...played beach volleyball with her...danced at the Martini bar on a few occasions and she was even accommodating when we asked her to eat with us (during her break!). The staff as a whole was incredible. Everybody knew our names which was a really nice feeling. As a first experience at an all-inclusive resort I must say I had a great time and would not only go back to Jamaica but would surely go back to visit Karalee and Sandals White House again. A+

Room Tip: I stayed with another single friend. We traveled for a wedding and this was the only down side to t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank martyclark2
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Even though we've traveled extensively in the Caribbean, this was our first experience with a Sandals resort. We traveled from April 24th to May 1st, 2014 to attend my nephew's destination wedding.

We opted for a Butler one bedroom walkout (2104) in the Dutch village, which really is quieter. Our butlers, Mr. Keen and Ms. Joy, were truly EXCELLENT and really enhanced our stay at this resort. They were attentive and went above and beyond in granting our requests including pizza for a large group delivered to the Italian pool and a steak dinner at Giuseppi's when Eleanor's was not available due to a beach party. The waitress that evening at Giuseppi's whose name is Shamel was also excellent and really enhanced the evening making it very special.

The wedding was lovely, and the photographer, Sheldon, really did everything he could to help my nephew and new niece feel comfortable and cared for. He took fantastic pictures that will contribute to the many great memories of this event.

All that being said, when we were first notified of the wedding and planned to attend, I checked the Sandals website "before you go" for Sandals Whitehouse. On the website, it stated that Butler level rooms received private transportation via car. When both the travel agent and I called Sandals to check on this, we were informed this service was not available, even though it was CLEARLY STATED ON THE WEBSITE. Sandals refused to provide this service and subsequently changed the website. Regardless, we hired a private car service anyway. The ride to Whitehouse is approximately 1 1/2 to 1/3/4 hours. The ride was not bad at all but enjoyable with our driver, Mr. Stevens. Drinks and food were provided in the vehicle and Mr. Stevens acted as a tour guide and gave us much information about Jamaica and the areas through which we travelled. Well worth the money.

Our one bedroom walkout was lovely, and housekeeping was wonderful! The minibar was always well stocked and the room cleaned, including some very appreciated surprises from our butlers such as petals on the bed, a readied jacuzzi and champagne. Once again, Mr. Keen and Ms. Joy are the best butlers, EVER!

Previous reviews have listed the beach as poor and these reviews are correct. The beach itself is small, the sand on the beach is full of rocks and debris including a very large rusty nail. The water is warm but murky, and the "sand" underneath your feet feels like soft mud. I saw one small jellyfish on the surface of the water. A day later, some unfortunate gentleman was stung by a jellyfish. He came out of the water grabbing his chest and was attended to by a staff member from Sandals. A jellyfish also brushed by one of my sisters who had mild stings on her legs. I have to say this is the worst beach I have been to in the Caribbean.

This resort itself is beautiful, the service is great, and the pools are wonderful. It is a great setting as long as you don't intend to actually swim in the ocean.

One concern is that 11 members of our party booked a 3 hour snorkel trip onsite. On the day of this trip, they were only permitted to snorkel for 10 minutes as the crew on the catamaran said the water was "rough". They refused to refund any money even though the service they paid for was not provided. On returning home, we notified our travel agent. Hopefully, there will be some resolution regarding this issue.

The staff at this resort is pleasant, helpful and genuine. It is a shame the same cannot be said for Sandals management as persons contacted from management (ie. those contacted regarding the private transportation) were unhelpful and uncaring with seemingly no knowledge at all. I also do not appreciate Sandals varying levels of "all inclusive," which means you may or may not have room service etc. depending on how much you pay. I caution you to read the levels of service so you know what to expect.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank mapetrozza
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Whitehouse.

We were pleased that you enjoyed your time at the resort and with our wonderful staff members. Still, we realize that were a few aspects of your Sandals experience that you were not completely satisfied with and we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Your feedback is valuable, as we are constantly evaluating our product and service so that we may continue to provide our guests with the best. Therefore, your comments have been shared with our Sandals Management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
We hope, that in the future, we will have the opportunity to serve you more efficiently.
Janesville
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our third trip to Sandals Whitehouse. The ride to the resort was very bumpy compared to years past and it would be nice if it could be fixed. We have stayed in all three villages and my favorite is the Italian because the view from our room of the ocean was excellent. Food was delicious as it usually always is with so many options. We ate at Neptune's one evening and didn't really get a chance to enjoy it because we were bit by mosquitos so we just wanted to finish and get out of there. I loved the brick oven pizzas at lunch.

Service was excellent! I really loved Shadae at Cafe de Paris, she was such a sweet person to talk to. Annakay's greeting to me always made me smile as she had met my husband on the beach while I wasn't around and when she learned that I was his wife, she referred to me as "Miss Brad". Copeland was fun to be around at the main pool swim up bar and I remembered Errol from the watersports from previous trips. He was very kind. The staff definitely made it a very memorable trip.

2 Thank Shannon L
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2014

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE PRISTINE CRYSTAL CLEAR CALM WATERS OF THE CARIBBEAN, DO NOT COME HERE… you will be sorely disappointed. We just returned from Sandals Whitehouse after staying April 24 - May 3. First, let me say, that we've been to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. Plus, I personally grew up in Florida going to Sanibel Island every year, so I know what great beaches are like. Here at the Whitehouse, you're lucky to get water as clear as the Florida Gulf, and that's pretty sad for taking such a long trip to this supposed secluded paradise destination.

But before I write more about that, I want to say that the resort was amazing… And I am going to write a fair review. We had a wonderful time and Sandals was lovely as usual (we've also been to Sandals Royal Bahamian and are going to Emerald Bay next year). Food was great, drinks flowing, entertainment fun. And we never got sick, like in Mexico and the Dominican! And I have to agree with everyone here… The staff was just so sweet and fun and accommodating. Loved everyone! I'd like to give a shout out to Anniesha, our concierge, and our favorite bartenders - Delroy, Jermaine and Dex at the French Pool, and Romeo at the Martini Bar. Thanks Oniell for saving our Cabana every day. We hope you love the Oniell rash guard shirt! And the peacocks are so beautiful wandering around the piazza. One of the females had three babies with her and they were so cute. And a baby hummingbird, too, that was like the size of a bumble bee… amazing. We made the most of every minute and do not regret coming here. We took the Island Hoppers helicopter in, which was an awesome adventure in itself. The road back was ok… There were some wild parts, but man up. It's not that bad. My husband ended up sleeping the last half of the trip back.

All that aside… We are true beach people and usually spend the entire day snorkeling, sailing and swimming. So here's the deal with the beach. Aside from the water not being clear at all, the entire sea bed is rocky and seaweed on the bottom. We are not squeamish, but the bottom is this mushy, mucky, murky clay stuff that you sink into. And it gets churned up every time you walk, so it's even harder to see through the water to see what you're walking on. Bring beach shoes if you don't want to feel it. Urchins everywhere as well.

Every day around 11am, a huge cloud would move over the mountain and 25mph winds would roll in by 12:30 making the beach uninhabitable and red-flagged, with all water sports canceled. The overall effect was basically you had to get out there at 6:30am to get your cabana and you were pretty much done on the beach by about noon unless you wanted to be in a sandstorm. The beach just seemed kinda dirty and barely anyone was swimming. The lifeguards said the weather/wind is usually not like that and another site said April is the windiest month in Jamaica. Maybe that's actually the case or maybe it's just the screwed up weather that everyone's been having this year. Whatever, it made for an unpleasant part of our trip. Just glad the sun was out during the windy parts or else everything would have been miserable.

The sailing was great between 10 - Noon since before that it was more of a sit than a sail due to zero wind and after that it was canceled due to too much wind. If you like to sail get down to the beach ASAP when the wind starts to pick up as the three or four Hobie Waves get snapped up quickly by people who don't know how to sail and end up needing rescued or take way over the suggested 30 minutes. Water skiing looked fun (not my thing) and the paddle boards, kayaks, and sailboards were great in the morning, too. We even walked to the tip of the island and were expecting to find the Blue Lagoon, but all there was was a dead bird, mangroves and huge wave crashing water so full of seaweed it was completely brown.

The odd thing is, when you take the boat snorkeling or swim out deep the water does get clearer. I actually snorkeled out close to the reef a few mornings on my own. It's an easy swim before the winds pick up and you can find conchs and starfish. Not many fish to see except weird wormy bottom dwellers, which was surprising. Perhaps they don't like the mucky, murky waters either. The coral wasn't much to look at since it's mostly dead and reminded me of the lunar landscape. Not many fish snorkeling at all, but there were shells down there which was interesting.

So what did we do every day? Got up early to get a cabana, then either wandered the beach, got breakfast, a massage at the amazing spa, or worked out a couple days at the sparse gym (treadmills, ellipticals, basic machines, an "Out of Order" Smith Machine, dumbbells up to 50lbs./22kg., cable station with pull ups). Then we'd get some excellent Blue Mountain coffee at Cafe de Paris (where they also have soft-serve ice cream if you ask for it), and played on the beach. Then went to lunch at Noon and then over to the French beach for a nap followed by party time in the pool. Fun stuff, but we were there for the beach and water sports, not to get wasted every day. We did make the best of it and have never met so many fun, interesting people. It poured down rain all afternoon one day so we just had a blast hanging out in the French Pool hot tub with a bunch of other couples. And oh yeah, the jelly fish will get you in the French Beach – got stung 4 times in the French and once in the Italian water. It's not bad, but I'd suggest bringing some After Sting gel as I also stepped on one of the thousands of bees there. They are everywhere near the bars!

Have to say that all the restaurants were excellent but we tried to avoid anything at Bayside that was supposed to be served cold that was just sitting on ice - no sushi or oysters, etc. My husband tried an oyster from there and it was lukewarm so he spit it back out since he didn't want to get sick. The portions are on the small side so he would order a couple of different entrees each time. Everything was delicious so it was a great way to check out the different menu items.

With all this said, again, we had a great time. But if you are in it for the beach and not to just hang in the pool drinking all day, I'd go somewhere else. We had so much more fun at Club Med Turkoise because you could enjoy pristine, breathtaking, clear water every day --- and Turkoise isn't even a luxury resort!!! We love you Sandals, but we only fault you for building in a not-so-great location and marketing it as the beach everyone expects to find in the Caribbean. The winds were not your fault, but even on the 2 calm days we had, you couldn't see your feet 3 feet in and there were waves churning everything up!

And I'm very surprised no one has written this before!

Room Tip: If you like to sleep without party noise, stay in the Dutch. Then party in the French.
5 Thank C-N-C1015
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

It was our first time in Jamaica. The ride to the hotel was not bad, a bit bumpy but overall experience has been good.

We had a room in french village. We spent our days at the beach by the windsurf and waterskiing, then we wnt to the hot tub, at night we had some night a swimming and hot tub. The hotel is nice and relaxing.

We loved the hotel, the beach is beautiful. There is some sea weed in the water, but it was not a deal breaker.

Service was outstanding, the staff would go over and beyond to help you and satisfy your wishes.

The rooms were kept an clean, a bit outdated but cozy.

Hot tubes and swimming pools were great. The hot tubs are heated, well kept and clean, so are the pools. There was light by the water, which was amazing for night swimming, the lights were up at the pools as well and we used it as a chance to go for a dive after dinner.

The only downside was food, it was ok, but not outstanding, not gourmand in any way.

We loved the stay and even considering the ok food, we would go back whenever we get a chance.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kirunchik
Venice
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This resort is exactly what we were looking for! Relaxing, fun, great food, friendly, clean, and the staff was awesome! We talked to a lot of people at the resort. A lot of the guest it was not their first time there. Which is defiantly a good sign. And most have been to different sandals resorts and sandals whitehouse is their favorite. It was on a scale from 1-10 a 20! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice!
3 Thank Janet D
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,789 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!