“Seven times extremely Happy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals South Coast

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Seven times extremely Happy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

There are really no other words than beautiful, professional, secluded, vey relaxing, and overall wonderful.
We have been to this resort seven times. Each time it only gets better.
We have had no issues.
The staff, every member has been outstanding.
The grounds are exemplary! The rooms and grounds are well maintained and modern.
Opera in the garden is excellent on Sunday night. The French pastry shoppe is divine.
Water sports and staff are tremendous!
The only draw back is the bus ride, but all good things come to those who wait. This can be decreased by taking the island helicopter. Great crew there as well and what a view.
Highly recommend this resort. They broke the mould with this resort!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank greig w
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of Sandals Whitehouse. We're so thrilled to read that you had yet another amazing stay with us. Our goal is to always exceed the expectations of our guests and I'm happy we did that during your 7th visit.

We hope to welcome you back home soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,027)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Without a doubt, the staff at Sandals Whitehouse absolutely made our entire experience. Devonese and Shadae in Cafe Paris were sweet and funny, always remembering us and our favorite crepe flavors. Copeland, Avril, Yanique and AnnaKaye at the French pool were such fun bartenders, quick with a refill and always ready to sing and dance, keeping the party going.

We enjoyed fabulous dinners every evening, especially the red snapper at Eleanor's and the mahi mahi from Neptune's. Neptune's was our favorite spot for lunch and the jerk chicken at the Jerk Pit was a nice afternoon snack. My husband made friends with Tevin who's calm and carefree demeanor put us as ease - this was the first snack we enjoyed when we arrived after a long day of airport delays.

We highly recommend taking advantage of the sailboats and enjoying a massage at the spa. Arrive early to take a long shower and lounge in the sauna and steam rooms.

Our room had a beautiful ocean view from the 2nd floor in the Dutch village. It was cleaned by 3p each day and tidied up later in the evening with turndown service as well. I'm not sure what the staff uses to clean, but it smells incredible. Always fresh, clean and lightly tropical, never the harsh stench of chemicals.

Based on our experience at other all inclusive resorts, we assumed our room would come stocked with robes and slippers, a full bar and access to 24/7 room service. This is not the case for the lowest category of room, although we were brought robes about 2 minutes after requesting them and didn't care to spend much time in our room eating and drinking anyway. This was simply our assumption and further research on our part would have shown these amenities are available at the 'Club' level.

Evening entertainment was an excellent surprise we hadn't anticipated. We enjoyed a variety show with entertainers who swallowed fire, juggled and balanced pool chairs on their foreheads alone. The staff talent show was also a lot of fun, Sandals WH has incredibly talented singers and dancers on staff! Each night we enjoyed our dinner outside to live singers and musicians as well. For those who like to stay up a bit later, the festivities continue in the martini bar with karaoke and a piano sing along.

Overall, we had a truly fabulous week of lounging and enjoying the most exceptional service we could imagine. We already miss Jamaica and look forward to returning soon!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SullivanAbbey
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Whitehouse. We're delighted to read that you had such an awesome time at our resort. I'm so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury romantic and relaxing experience for you.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have travelled to Jamaica many times. I always feel rejuvenated after my visits, especially escaping the cold northern winters. Taking a much needed vacation I decided to travel to Sandals Whitehouse known for its high standards of service and excellence. The property is a 90 minute ride from the Montego Bay airport. I prepare my self for the ride by enjoying the view of the people, country side and culture. I was tempted to try a new property in Jamaica closer to the airport, as I have visited many resorts in Jamaica, but decided against it because I wanted service I could count on, consistency and to be surrounded by beauty. Sandals Whitehouse did not disappoint!! In fact, my expectations were exceeded. It was almost perfection...

I was treated to a Butler Suite that was worth every penny!! I would say it was the most significant feature of my trip. If you desire to be pampered and live without a care, for a moment in time.... try the Butler service, where your needs are anticipated and your Butlers make every effort to make your stay a heartfelt memorable experience. Butlers Amsley and Damon are the top of the line!! I have travelled extensively and I have never had finer service, anywhere in the world.

The food was very good. We always found variety and something to suit our tastes. I stayed at Whitehouse in Sept 2006, shortly after it opened and the experience has only gotten better. The grounds are immaculate and well maintained. The peacocks and other beautiful tropical birds add to a seemingly natural "Eden type"setting. The one bedroom suite was spotless, well appointed, comfortable and roomy. The room was cleaned and restocked twice daily, the service was impeccable.

We did not encounter sand fleas as some reviewers have reported, however the ocean bottom in this area is rocky and I would recommend water shoes. The sunsets and mountains views are breathtaking,.

The entertainment is of a very high caliber and they make every effort to decorate the property daily for evening events. The outdoor chocolate fountains were a treat. They also have outdoor fire pits with comfortable lounges, where I found myself drifting off to sleep with the sounds of the ocean waves in the background. I could go on and on....but you get my drift. Nobody does SERVICE like SANDALS WHITEHOUSE!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MonneV
Brossard, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Sandals Whitehouse
It was our third trip to a Sandals. We had previously visited Beaches Turks & Caicos and Sandals Grande Riviera Ocho Rios.
I will start this review by saying thank you to all the people working at SW. They all contributed to making an unforgettable vacation for my wife and me. I have no complaints and anyone who complains should stay home.
The resort was at more than 90% capacity, but it never felt it crowded. There were plenty of chairs at the beach and pools and never any lineups at the restaurants.
The property is amazing and the landscape, gorgeous. They work very hard to keep it that way. All the rooms are oceanfront and there are miles of manicured beaches.
All the restaurants are good and the bars offer premium drinks. Café de Paris offers delicious pastries, cakes, cookies and a great variety of coffee.
The shrimp cake sandwich at Neptune was my wife favorite meal. I preferred more spending some time at Café de Paris.
It is not the best spot for diving but the dive shop team is top notch. They would do everything possible for the divers to enjoy each dive and never took shortcuts with safety. Thank you, guys.
What makes this resort special is the unbelievable level of service. Starting with the general manager and ending with the newest worker, they make you feel as though you are the most important guest. They all work very hard, but always have a smile for you.
I had the opportunity to meet and discuss with few managers at the returning guest dinner. It is a privilege for me to name them: Mr. G - General Manager, Xavier- Operations Manager, Piper- Bars Manger, Adrian- Come back soon desk. I feel sorry because I don’t have all the managers’ names. Thank you, guys, well done.
I would also like to thank you also some of the bartenders: Fletcher (Martini bar), Kamaca (French pool), ….and the members of entertainment team : Sheldon, Shane, Wayne, Nickel,
It was a great experience and I would highly recommend this resort. I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: italien village
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Simona P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Sandals - December 2013

My wife and I, and another couple, went to Whitehouse between Christmas and New Years for a week - the third time for each of us. We have always said that Whitehouse is the most awesome resort one could visit. More expensive than most, but the experience you get once your there makes it worth the extra money. And for the most part, following this visit, I would say the same thing.

That said, between the constant attention, great dining selection across the resort, and the ambience and scenery, we are feeling that Whitehouse is starting to show her age. It's nothing major, just a few niggling things that one would not feel that they should have to worry about for such a high end resort. I have broken out my comments based on area. It's a bit long, but there's lots to cover.

~ Travelling ~

In order to get from the Montego Bay airport to Whitehouse it is necessary to travel up and over the mou ntains to the south west side of the island. The trip takes 1.5 hours - unless it is dark and/or raining. The resort transports you in an oversized van/bus. A full van is very snug. To be totally truthful the ride is the most hair raising experience of my life. The roads are windy, hilly, narrow and in very bad disrepair. This causes drivers to be all over the road attempting to miss potholes - and (fortunately) oncoming traffic. This drive, now that we have done it 3 times, has probably convinced us to not return to this particular Sandals. The fear and green stomachs are getting to be too much.

You can take a private transfer which is a bit better than a van - but in the end you are still travelling on the same roads. You can also take a helicopter. It is a 15 minute trip, however, it costs $650 ONE WAY. Finding 3 other people to split the cost with you would certainly reduce the financial sting.

~ The Resort ~

The accommodation buildings need both an exterior coat of paint and in the rooms. The rain comes down and creates black run off that drains onto the paint on the front façade of the balconies. Plus the paint is just looking worn. Inside the rooms (of course I can only speak for the one I was in) is the same. There are marks, scratches, dents and missing paint. All things to be expected - but I don't feel the "look" should be able to get to this stage - it cheapens the whole experience. The toilet lid is so discoloured from urine spray that it is quite unappealing.

The pools are as beautiful in reality as in their advertising brochures. The water is always sparkling clean and inviting. Like in most resorts it is challenging to get lounges with umbrellas, which cause people to horde them by marking them early in the morning (us included!) with towels. The hotel has a policy about this which is nearly impossible to enforce. You just need to expect it and plan ahead.

The grounds are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. Every day grounds people are out primping and preening everything. There a whole week and you never get tired of just walking around and admiring the vibrant colours and lushness.

Just to show how they can "do it up right", for New Years Eve they provided a very special event. They shut down all of the restaurants (except Neptunes) and spread out a massive buffet across the entire courtyard. They served everything from grilled lobster tails, roast beef, turkey, seafood, sushi, salads, vegetables, cheeses and deserts. Then they had 3 different bands brought in to bring in the new year. It was a spectacular event - and best of all it cost nothing extra to attend.

They have a different entertainment each night - some games and some shows. The music is usually pretty good and develops into a party for all attending. Rounds out the days nicely.

~ The Bars ~

We always go to the martini bar (Casa Blanca) to have a drink and relax (LOL) before dinner. There can be quite a crowd in there but, like at the Dutch Village pool bar, no matter how quick the bar tender is, there is most often only one of them. This, not surprisingly, backs up the orders. Of course, we're not in a hurry to be anywhere, but the wait for a drink can sometimes be lengthy, which is a bit annoying. I had an experience where the bar tender got 90% of the way through making a bloody mary to find out there was no tomatoe juice. He sent another guy in search for some, who never did return...

~ The Service ~

Overall the service from the staff is excellent. Most are very friendly and pleasant and always ready to assist you with something. But then there are those things that you think should be overlooked - but when you consider the bigger picture regarding the level of service you feel you "should" receive, it is difficult to overlook them.

My friend and I both requested a second room key for our rooms (not sure why they only give one in the first place?) only to find that when we each went to use our new cards - neither worked. But get this - 3 separate times! Eventually they figured out their key card programming machine was not functioning. Not the end of the world, but another of those irritating annoyances. Couldn't the front desk associate have confirmed they were active before giving them to us? Then we were "sent" to another location to have keys made up. Hmmm

~ The Restaurants ~

Before I describe my thoughts on the restaurants I want to preface my remarks with - none of the restaurants were particularly adept at serving a hot meal. For the most part, warm was as good as it got.

Neptunes - An honourable mention goes out to our waitress (Cristal) and the hostess at Neptune's (Sorry, don't remember her name). They were both wonderful - professional, helpful and friendly. I have to say though, the seafood cannelloni (dinner menu) was absolutely tasteless - the filling and noodle. Even salt and pepper couldn't couldn't save it. We each had something different for lunch one day and enjoyed it very much.

Bluefields - They do a decent job of getting a lot of lunch time crowd through their doors. The food there is "okay" and spicy in the all the appropriate ways. The meat and chicken patties are decent, but the turkey hotdog with chili really seemed to be left behind on patron's plates a little too often. Personally, I liked the burger best (the fries are really good!) Princess was serving the drinks and always kept us well stocked (even without asking).

Giuseppes - the lunch pizza is to die for. The dinnner menu is a decent Italian assortment. We really enjoyed the anti pasta bar - almost to the point where we could have been satisfied with just that. The servers were good - although the restaurant seems to bog down with a crowd. It started raining while we were waiting to place our order and the staff did a good job of moving (most) everybody indoors. Overall we liked it so much we ate there more than once.

Jasmines - The food was really good, but like Giuseppes, they struggle when they are busy. Didnt have enough wait staff on and the food took a long time to prepare. But again, we weren't in any hurry so that wasn't a big deal.

Bayside - Buffet for breakfast and lunch. Lot's of choices to eat including an omelette bar that is very tasty.

Eleanors - We ate breakfast here on a couple of mornings. They're usually pretty slow getting you your meal, but once is arrives it is good. We saved this restaurant for the last night as our final dinner hurrah. Each of us had the beef tenderloin - served with both mashed potatoes and a kind of potatoe crisp. Very good. There is a lot of fish on the menu, so keep that in mind if you're not a big fish lover. definitely the hot spot restaurant in the resort.

~ Summary ~

All things considered, the pros far out weigh the cons. The resort is incredible and sets the bar very high for other resorts. If the rough drive doesn't throw you off, by all means, you will be happy you went. Sitting in lounge chairs on the beach with your beautiful wife of 33 years watching the sun come up as the waves slowly lap over the sand is an experience that can't be beat.

Room Tip: The Dutch village is a quieter area if you prefer to just sit and read in peace
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bill K
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was impressed with the property and the accommodations, we stayed in a concierge level in the Dutch village on the se ond floor overlooking the wedding gazebo and ocean. The Dutch village is a quiet area and was relaxing. At the evenings the noise from the frogs was incredibly loud, very surprising how loud they could be. We loved the path along the ocean walking back after dinner. We had a group dinner on the terrace area below the main pool which was the best meal that I had. The food was good but nothing exceptional but I didn't have high expectations of great food so overall it was mu h better than I expected. As many other people mentioned the ride from the airport was hair-raising. I inquired with our concierge about booking a helicopter for our return to thr airport, I was told that Sandals would not assist with arraignments. They claimed that it was not safe but my feeling was that they were not making any money from it so they would not even help with dialing the number of the charter company even after I explained that I could not get an outside line. We saw several arrivals and departures of the helicopter and I was finally able to reach them via email but it was sold out at the time that we needed.
Loved the peacocks around the common areas, they were fun to watch. Service was lacking in some places and great in others but I guess that's everywhere.
All in all it was a great trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are just back from a wonderful New Years at Whitehouse. We even got to visit Philadelphia for 4 days before driving 23 hours to get home!! (no flights available)
Suntans were long gone by then. But life is an adventure, make the best of it!!
This property is carefully managed by what I refer to as the G-UNIT.
Mr. G is the leader and is energetic, humble and very appreciative of his team.
He will tell you, it is a team effort and it works very well.
However, without a Captain, the ship can't sail.
Rick and Frederico are part of this team and are exceptional.
We got to spend time with Frederico and he is an all around GREAT person.
There are a lot of highlights staying here but I will only mention 2.
Tamara , at breakfast, is worth her weight in Gold. What a beautiful person.
The second was meeting a great group of people from Tennessee (like 47 of them!).What a great bunch of "kids"!!!
We really enjoyed our stay and the New Year's presentation was impressive. A lot of hard work went in to this. Hats off to Frederico and Chef Adrian.

Don't miss the jerk pit! Very good.
All and all , A great visit.
Mr. Stewart, you have a lot of all stars here!

Room Tip: We like the Dutch village. Quiet pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,154 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!