Here it is one week later having arrived home and it's very cold outside. Wishing we were in Jamaica right now! Our sixth time to Sandals and our second time to Whitehouse proved to be just a wonderful as the first. We departed the Montego Bay airport in a van with eight other people. Four of the people had been drinking and were very loud and constantly made obnoxious remarks, so that did make the hour and half trip seem long. Yes, the road is very curvy and bumpy, but we did notice a few stretches had improved since last year. The last half hour was the worst but once we got to Whitehouse it was well worth it. Our check-in experience was swift and effortless. We were not given a wet cloth or offered a drink like last year though. Our room was exactly what was requested – one bedroom corner walkout suite in Dutch Village. Perfect! Our eight days (26 Dec – 3 Jan) there were intended to be total relaxation and that is what it was. Our very friendly butlers, Ainsley and Damion, took great care of us and everything we requested was made possible by these two professionals. We are not party people or drinkers so were hoping to watch 800 minutes of the Foyle’s War PBS series and Ainsley made sure the DVD player was in place our first night, so - mission accomplished! Every morning we went to the fitness center for a bit of exercise then we enjoyed fantastic breakfasts at Bayside. Tamara makes great omelets and the delicious buffet has much to offer. Our days were spent under a thatched roof umbrella with fantastic views of the ocean. On the negative side – there were smokers around us occasionally, which we hated – especially cigars – but when they didn’t light up, we relaxed in our comfy lounge chairs. We met a very nice couple from Nebraska which made our trip even more enjoyable – hi Tom & Julie!! Every day we had the same lunch on the beach – coconut shrimp – which our butlers graciously brought us. Each evening our butlers walked us to a different restaurant and placed us at a nicely decorated table with fresh flowers and the chef came to our table to discuss each menu with us as we were eating gluten free. They were very accommodating to make sure nothing was ordered that had gluten and the entire time no intestinal difficulties cropped up. We ate at every restaurant except for Bluefields because two of the nights buffets were offered and we chose not to go to the “returnees” dinner. We ate twice at Neptunes and the chef surprised us with fantastic meals. We did not have one bad meal. The New Year’s Eve buffet was exceptional! All in all, we were completely satisfied with our vacation and would love to go back again. The only negative things we can think of, besides people smoking, are – a) the king bed was a bit hard, but nothing they can do about that - we just like a softer bed; b) it would be wise to wear beach water shoes when you go into the water as there is much vegetation underfoot and it is very uncomfortable walking out into the water; c) do use insect repellent because you can’t feel them bite but you’ll know they did bite once you get red dots on your body. They do rake the beach and spray for insects every morning, but be smart and come prepared and d) since we are not drinkers - it would be so very nice if they could offer a discount for that fact - we imagine the cost is a bit high in order to pay for all the "free or included" alcohol. But - this year the wi-fi was included in the butler rooms, so that saved us $45 from last year. Overall the grounds are very well groomed and beautiful, the staff is very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are well maintained, the food was great and the weather was perfect! Well done, Sandals Whitehouse!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica