“Wonderful - Again!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
NC
“Wonderful - Again!!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Here it is one week later having arrived home and it's very cold outside. Wishing we were in Jamaica right now! Our sixth time to Sandals and our second time to Whitehouse proved to be just a wonderful as the first. We departed the Montego Bay airport in a van with eight other people. Four of the people had been drinking and were very loud and constantly made obnoxious remarks, so that did make the hour and half trip seem long. Yes, the road is very curvy and bumpy, but we did notice a few stretches had improved since last year. The last half hour was the worst but once we got to Whitehouse it was well worth it. Our check-in experience was swift and effortless. We were not given a wet cloth or offered a drink like last year though. Our room was exactly what was requested – one bedroom corner walkout suite in Dutch Village. Perfect! Our eight days (26 Dec – 3 Jan) there were intended to be total relaxation and that is what it was. Our very friendly butlers, Ainsley and Damion, took great care of us and everything we requested was made possible by these two professionals. We are not party people or drinkers so were hoping to watch 800 minutes of the Foyle’s War PBS series and Ainsley made sure the DVD player was in place our first night, so - mission accomplished! Every morning we went to the fitness center for a bit of exercise then we enjoyed fantastic breakfasts at Bayside. Tamara makes great omelets and the delicious buffet has much to offer. Our days were spent under a thatched roof umbrella with fantastic views of the ocean. On the negative side – there were smokers around us occasionally, which we hated – especially cigars – but when they didn’t light up, we relaxed in our comfy lounge chairs. We met a very nice couple from Nebraska which made our trip even more enjoyable – hi Tom & Julie!! Every day we had the same lunch on the beach – coconut shrimp – which our butlers graciously brought us. Each evening our butlers walked us to a different restaurant and placed us at a nicely decorated table with fresh flowers and the chef came to our table to discuss each menu with us as we were eating gluten free. They were very accommodating to make sure nothing was ordered that had gluten and the entire time no intestinal difficulties cropped up. We ate at every restaurant except for Bluefields because two of the nights buffets were offered and we chose not to go to the “returnees” dinner. We ate twice at Neptunes and the chef surprised us with fantastic meals. We did not have one bad meal. The New Year’s Eve buffet was exceptional! All in all, we were completely satisfied with our vacation and would love to go back again. The only negative things we can think of, besides people smoking, are – a) the king bed was a bit hard, but nothing they can do about that - we just like a softer bed; b) it would be wise to wear beach water shoes when you go into the water as there is much vegetation underfoot and it is very uncomfortable walking out into the water; c) do use insect repellent because you can’t feel them bite but you’ll know they did bite once you get red dots on your body. They do rake the beach and spray for insects every morning, but be smart and come prepared and d) since we are not drinkers - it would be so very nice if they could offer a discount for that fact - we imagine the cost is a bit high in order to pay for all the "free or included" alcohol. But - this year the wi-fi was included in the butler rooms, so that saved us $45 from last year. Overall the grounds are very well groomed and beautiful, the staff is very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are well maintained, the food was great and the weather was perfect! Well done, Sandals Whitehouse!!

Room Tip: for the view - go high; for the convenience - go walkout
2 Thank DetailsNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,073)
Markham, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Up until visiting Sandals Whitehouse, I was left to believe that food in all inclusive resorts is plentiful, but generally average, especially in the a-la-carte restaurants. This resort was a very pleasant surprise, and from the way the food tastes and looks, I can certainly believe they have a high-end chef in their kitchen. And this applies to all the meals we tried at all of their restaurants.
Beverage selection is outstanding; if you don't see what you desire on the shelf, just ask; chances are they will get it for you.
The beach and resort in general was not crowded and we were able to find a convenient spot every day, without waking up early. The sand is somewhat hard, but could have been because of the daily rain.
The resort is somewhat isolated, which we liked. There are no other resorts anywhere close and the long beach that belongs to Sandals (2-3 miles) provides great opportunities for walking and admiring the natural beach minutes from the resort. That is until they will build a family oriented Beaches resort nearby, as we found out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at Whitehouse Dec 22-29 and we had an amazing time. The food and service were the best that we have ever experienced. We have been to other Sandals and Couples resorts in the past.

As pretty much everyone states the drive from the airport is not fun. I am not a great traveller so we always book a private transfer which makes things much more comfortable. We use Rocky's Tours and they are fantastic!!! Clean new vehicles....excellent drivers and always on time. Our driver Dwayne waited 5 hours for us as our flight was delayed out of Toronto due to an ice storm. Of course it was no problem mon!! and he had Red Stripe on ice waiting for us.

When we arrived at 10 p.m. we were blown away at how beautiful the resort was. Little white lights everywhere. It glowed!!

We were escorted to the Club Sandals lounge, checked in and the escorted to our room in the Dutch building. I have read reviews where people complain about their room not being in the right location or not having room service etc. I think it is important that you do your research before you book to see what your room category entails and book accordingly. For example we knew that we like to have coffee on our balcony every morning and to have some wine before getting ready for dinner so we knew that we had to book at least club level category that includes room service and a fully stocked bar. Also check the location of your category. I knew that I did not want to be in the French building so the category that I booked was in the Dutch or Italian. Sandals is great about upgrading when they can but I always book a category I will be comfortable with.

We totally felt pampered and special while we were there.... from calls from Club Sandals to see if we needed anything to personal notes and a fruit plate from the Manager and the General Manager Mr. G. welcoming us home!! This is also the first time ever that our morning order arrived on time and correct every day!! Good job!!

The grounds are beautifully manicured and the beach is 2 miles of gorgeous!!

We liked the aspect that reservations were not required. At first we were apprehensive about this but we had no problem getting a table at any of the restaurants when we went to eat at 7:15 p.m. We had excellent meals all week and we often went to Café de Paris to grab a dessert and took it back to whatever restaurant we had dinner at to have with our coffee and Bailey's.

As beautiful as the resort is during the day I found at night it was intimate and romantic. The fire pits with comfy seating...a saxophonist playing....gourmet dining....amazing!!

Whitehouse totally exceeded our expectations and although we haven't repeated a resort in the last 6 years we have re-booked for 9 nights for next year!!

Thanks so much Sandals Whitehouse for making our Christmas from home so memorable!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have beautiful ocean views but I would recommend the Dutch building. Much quieter than th...
3 Thank mulligan100
mbd33
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We are Loyal Sandalites.....we have been lucky enough to stay at the Millionaire Suites, La Toc, basic room at Antigua, concierge at Emerald Bay, basic room Nassau and now basic room Whitehouse. The reviews are accurate, the resort is beautiful, the beach is private, when you are with a group of friends, on honeymoon, planning a wedding everything is wonderful, when you are an experienced Sandal Guest, you cannot help but notice that for the money you are paying, the service is not up to par with other resorts.

So to begin this review:

Airport: - quick, easy and efficient, escorted to Sandals Lounge and were very quickly put on bus to resort. (complete both sides of the form they give you on the plane and make sure you know the Parish you are staying in, for Whitehouse it is Westmoreland) The Sandals lounge is wonderful and you are greeted with a smile

Ride: Going to the resort, was an uneventful ride, our driver was great, there is only a small section of road that is bumpy and you have to hold on to your hat, but nothing major. We were in a small bus

Ride back to airport however, was in a Coach, and there were a few near misses, harrowing to say the least.

Helicopter pad is right next to the resort for those who want to avail themselves of this option.

Rooms: We booked the lower category and were glad that we did. (We purchased our own alcohol that we like at Duty Free) All rooms have small balconies, whether you are Butler, Concierge or not, the view is the same. (Butler rooms do have two rooms, living and bedroom, but compared to Butler Rooms on other resorts, you will not get bang for your buck but that is my opinion) All restaurants do not require reservations, so nothing is needed for that either. The amenities in the room are not replaced during the stay, so make sure to bring your own shampoo, conditioner etc to last the week.

(This hotel after extensive research was booked in October 2012, e-mails were sent requesting a room closer to Italian and or Dutch, my room category was in these buildings, but either they never read my e-mail or did not care enough. According to the description as to the location of the room I booked on the Sandals' Page, I was not given the room I had booked and requested, but resort was full and I had no option to stay where I was but this was not a deal breaker, although as a loyal member I did find that I was somewhat put out by this)
Villages: French: I have such a lot to say about this. We were in the French Village, 2nd Floor blue building at the end. Do not book a walkout room at this end rooms ending from 30 to 35 your only view will be the back of the kitchen to Bluefields. We were lucky we were overlooking the pool. This Village is 1.5 miles from breakfast, lunch and dinner, watersports etc, unless you eat at Bluefields at lunch and dinner it was a trek to get to the other end of the resort. The staff found it funny when guests came to this realization. The beach is 2 miles long and the French Village is literally at one end and the restaurants, Neptune and the Dive center are at the other end. Don't believe me, take a pedometer and see for yourself.

The French Village (blue building) is so far from the main resort that for 7 days I did not meet or see any photographers or Spa representatives, which some might say was a good thing, but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity to have some pictures taken without having to walk 1.5 miles to ask this. A 1.5 mile trek back and forth should be mentioned when booking, I should mention that I do not drive, I am use to walking, but the whole layout of this resort was not relaxing. The French Pool was lovely The beach is small but soft white sand with little rock formations unlike the other beaches outside the Dutch and Italian but you had to get up early to reserve loungers, if you did not you would lose out. By 7 am they all had towels on them. In order to do this keep your towel from the day before, as they do not put out towels until after 8

Room was adequate, to be expected bed was uncomfortable and not conducive to a great nights sleep, our backs were killing us by the second night it groaned and creaked with the slightest movement, phone did not work, toilet was blocked, safe would not open for us, however we were very impressed that these issues were fixed within 30 mins of letting the front desk know but one would think that before allocating rooms to guests one should check first that they are up to standard. The pillowtop placed on our bed was appreciated.

Security at the French Village was non existent, although you could see security around all other areas of the resort from the Dutch Village onwards. There was drug use around the French Pool the smell of which made it difficult to sit out on your balcony and there was suspicious activity between two men who had locked themselves in the stalls of the men’s bathrooms next to the pool arranging what I do not want to knowl!!!!!!

Dutch: In the Middle of the resort. Wedding gazebo in front of pool. The pool was small pool, and did not appear to have that many loungers around it and there was no swim up bar although there is a bar set up right next to it. the beach was big but mostly reserved for those with Butlers

Italian: While I loved the French Village, the Italian Village was next to absolutely everything and staying in these buildings would probably have been less stressful, loungers were plentiful, pool was enormous, fitness center, tennis courts etc were all within easy reach. Wish they had honored the request I sent via e-mail

Dining:

Breakfast, - two options, Eleanors (menu) and Bayside, (Buffet) luke warm to say the least unless you had your eggs cooked to order, I was not impressed by the selection when comparing the same to Antigua, Emerald Bay, La Toc or Nassau.

Lunch: wonderful selections, favorite for lunch was Neptunes

Dinner: likewise, favorite was Bluefields for their incredible lobster. Victor is an onsight Manager and it shows both in the quality of service and presentation of the food.

Tours: Sandals should really provide competition for Island Routes. We had tour booked, it was cancelled at the last minute for a very legitimate reason, it required a minimum of 4 persons. It was the Lets Go Negril tour.....issue I have with that is............it was too late to make other arrangements but in all fairness we were offered by Island Routes, for an extra $100.00 they would take us on the same tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Unlike other resorts you could not rent a car or arrange a taxi, you were simply referred back to Island Routes by front desk???? (All other resorts we have been to in the Sandals Chain have had car rental booths situated in the lobby)

Water Sports - so with tour cancelled, we decide we would avail ourselves of the watersports and the sailing. Upon approaching the "lifeguards" we have to wait, its first come, first serve, not a problem. so we wait.......we are told that there is a 3-5 minute lesson on how to navigate the vessel, we have done it before, but they do not have the time to show us, we apparently " missed the class" and therefore could not go out on the water, we being beginners. We watched for another 40 mins the same lifeguards letting others out, without lessons. Upon complaining, we did receive a knock on our door late in the evening from a wonderful gentleman who was very apologetic and offered us a 100 voucher to spend in the gift shop. I informed him to take the same 100 dollars and give it to the Sandals Foundation, I do not complain for freebies or upgrades, that is never my intention and frankly found it insulting, all I ask is for you to fix the problem so it does not happen again.

Conclusion: Whitehouse is everything that everyone says it is, beautiful grounds, beautiful location, but it does have it problems. Would I return, probably not.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal
1 Thank mbd33
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time on our honeymoon! All the staff members at Sandals Whitehouse are very friendly and helpful. The entertainment crew are a wonderful group of people and we had a blast hanging out with them! Wayon and Prince are exceptional employees and Sandals is lucky to have them! Thanks to both of you for making us laugh and smile! Romaine, the bartender, was very pleasant and made us some awesome drinks while hanging out at the swim up bar.

Be sure to bring bug spray and wear it whenever you are on the beach. They have sand flies that will leave bite that itch like crazy! There wasn't one item that I tried while at the resort that I didn't like; the food is delicious! Great beach, tons of fun activities throughout the day, and beautiful weather!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Desirae S
kidderminster
Reviewed January 8, 2014

hi there everyone, just got back from spending new years eve at whitehouse, my self and my husband had a great time , the new years evening was fantastic, the tables are set out all around the pool area and there is lobster , crab, oysters, beef, on the barbie plus all manor of other delicacies beautifully cooked and presented. the champagne flows all night or you can choose any other drink from the bar. the entertainment was fab as well.
the hotel in general was lovely, the waiters and staff are really friendly and kind, nothing is too much bother for them, and of course if you smile at them you get a big smile back. I had a read of some of the reviews before we went on holiday and i have to say that it just surprises me that people put the things they do !! if you don't want to spend an hour on a bus getting to the resort then do your homework and get a hotel nearer ........ teleportation has not been invented yet i am afraid, but the bus ride is ok, you get to see the real Jamaica on route and its very different in comparison to the resort.
I dont tend to write about personal experiences on trip adviser as i think everyone is turning into a hotel critic in these resorts just walking around looking for faults so they can report back, Trip Adviser should be for hints and tips to fellow travelers so they can make the most of the hotel and facilities .
I took Jamaican dollars with me but to be honest i didn't need them, American dollars are the thing everyone accepts, you really don't need them either if you don't go off site, there is no tipping in resort and you can pay for trips etc with a credit card. We only did one trip to the pelican bar on the catamaran , the ride out to the bar sets off at 9.30am and you get back around 3pm, you are at the bar for around 1.5 hours, you can purchase some lunch at the bar for $15 each and choose between fish or lobster, but the lobster is diced up and in a stew , it was nice though but not what i thought it would be. lots of people throwing up over the side of the boat and if you don't want this to be you then sit at the back of the boat and not at the front where you are bounced around ha ha. there is lots of drinking and partying going on but you don't have to join in if you don't want to. the trip cost about $196 for the two of us.
we had a walk down the beach in both directions, the longer way is deserted and a nice long walk , the other way by the jetty is a shorter distance and there is a little shack where we met Winston and Dennis who were two local fishermen and were most pleased to meet us. they sold shells for $10 and we bought two from them, please go down and meet the local people, they need your custom.
Our room was in the French village and the room was lovely, very spacious and clean, the balcony looked straight over the sea.
In the evening there is no buffet meal but all al a carte, my husband needed a little more to eat but we simply asked for another portion which is absolutely fine to do, Breakfast at Elenors is lovely so do try it one morning, we particularly liked Jasmins and were not that impressed with Neptunes but it is all a matter of taste isnt it! over all the food is very good so just walk around and try it all. the ambiance of the evening time is great, very chilled and relaxed , there is always a musician playing while you eat which is lovely.
All in all we had a good time at SWH , i don't know if i would pay the price to go back again as i do think that we have stayed in equally nice resorts without such a high price tag.

Room Tip: any room will be fine
2 Thank bizbiz1562
westk18858
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We just returned from spending New Years week here and had such a great week we booked again for next New Years! We've stayed at one other Sandals (on the Bahamas) and we found that Whitehouse had more complete bars, better food, and amazing/super friendly staff. The beach was a nice stretch for walking without being bothered by vendors, that was a huge plus for us and one of the reasons we booked here. The Bahamas did have a nice private island, but not a stretch of walkable beach..
I am picky about food, and a vegetarian, so I was thrilled that there were lot's of choices (and NO reservations needed- we loved that!!) and good portion sizes. The European café was amazing- we got our morning caffeine fix (latte's etc..) and our nightly dessert fix here. The Bahamas did not have this and it is a huge plus!!
My husband was able to get deep water Scuba certified (extra cost) and go on daily dives. He loved this!
I was a bit concerned about the drive from the airport to the resort that people complained about, as I do get car sick, but I was fine- just kept looking out the front window! It's worth the drive and nice to see the scenery.
I've heard some folks complaining about the French village rooms being too far from the restaurants.. I have no idea what they are complaining about. It is all very close together! And with all the food you'll be eating, walking an extra 20 seconds is probably a good thing! All the rooms are ocean view, which is great. Ours was a 1st floor walk out, and I was slightly disappointed that the patio was so small. I imagined a nice chaise lounge and there was barely room for 2 chairs and a small table.

Also, If you like to work out while on vacation, note that I used the fitness center every day- it was great!

We'll be back next year! And, a big thank you to our fabulous travel agent, who I highly recommend. You can work solely via email and get great info on this and other Sandals properties and book with confidence (Amy McHugh: http://www.dreammakersvaca.com).

Room Tip: All the rooms face the ocean, though some will have a pool in between. Buildings are 4 stories tall...
Also consider these accommodations in or near White House
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!