We spent nine nights at Sandals Whitehouse and returned on the Sept 25. It was our honeymoon, so that made it extra special and we decided to splurge and take the helicopter both to and from the resort. That turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made and I would say it was definitely worth the cost. We traveled from San Diego on the red eye, so by the time we arrived in MJB we were really wiped out. The customs and immigration lines were really long and by the time we got through them nearly an hour had passed since we landed, however, seeing the Island Hopper guy standing there with our name on his sign raised our excitement level tremendously. From there it was a quick ride to the helicopter and then 20 minutes later we were at the resort. It was an incredible ride.
We’ve been to Jamaica two times before, but this was our first trip to Whitehouse. Check in was a breeze and Diangra took care of everything while we sat in the comfy chairs in the lobby. Then she escorted us to our room in the Dutch Village and gave us a mini property tour. Our room was 2327 and it has a great view of the pool, beach and ocean.
The resort grounds are beautiful and there are many beautiful fountains and nicely placed lounge chairs to sit in and just relax. We never had any problem getting a palapa down on the beach and we spent just about every day at the beach instead of the pool. This is a large property and you will be doing quite a bit of walking. There is some distance to cover from the French and Dutch villages to the main restaurants, but we always enjoyed the walks and everyone you meet along the way is friendly and will greet you as you pass. The level of service at this resort is outstanding and the GM, Mr G is a high energy, highly visible GM that goes out of his way to ensure everything is perfect.
The food at this resort is the best we’ve had at Sandals and some of the best we’ve ever had while traveling. Our favorite restaurants were Neptunes and Bluefields. During the day, we stopped by Café de Paris for their pastries and ice cream. The bartenders were also some of the best we’ve seen. Keon and Fletcher at the Martini Bar and Chilly Chill, Copeland, and Aneisha at the bar outside of Neptunes were major high energy entertainers and kept us entertained for hours. Also Kevin over at the small bar at the Dutch Village pool poured some great drinks and was great to talk to.
On our fourth day we decided to venture out to YS Falls and the Black River. The tour desk hooked us up with a tour and our driver Trevor did a great job getting us over to the falls and the river. Both are worth seeing and we had a blast on the tour. The zip line over the falls is awesome. After getting to know Trevor we made arrangements with him to take us over to Negril to check out Sandals Negril and then over to Ricks Cafe for a jump off the cliff. If you're the adventurous sort that likes to get out and do your own thing, Trevor's a great guy to call on for your guide. He lives right there in Whitehouse and grew up in the Black River area. The bell hopes at the entrance podium know him and you should be able to get in touch with him if you ask them.
Ricks was a blast and if you like jumping off cliffs, don't miss it. Plus there's a sea cave at the base of the cliff that goes back about twenty feet and you can either swim into it under water, or climb through a small opening in the rocks. Either way, it's a blast to check out, and you will likely be guided by some eager young Jamaican guys that want to earn a tip for showing you the cave.
This was definitely one of the best vacations we've ever had and with it being our honeymoon, it was extra special. We’ve already made our reservations to return next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica