“The Perfect Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“The Perfect Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at SWH for nine nights in mid June and it was amazing! We got to the resort around 2:00 and we were escorted right to the concierge lounge to check in. The friendly staff offered us drinks while we registered. While registering we were told that they were able to upgrade our room! My travel agent (Dream Makers Vacation Services) said they would ask if it were possible before we arrived, I guess it worked! After registering they said our room would be ready in about 20 minutes, so we went to lunch. The concierge actually walked us all the way to the restaurant, it was an incredibly nice gesture. :) when we got to the room there was a nice happy honeymoon card and a bottle of champagne waiting for us. We stayed on the top floor of the Italian village, had a great view of the ocean. The room had a whirlpool and a big walk in shower. The bed was very comfortable.

We basically got up around nine everyday then went to breakfast. Either the buffet or Elanores (stuffed French toast was awesome!) After that we typically did some water sports and hung out on the beach or the pool, they usually had fun activities at the pool. We went snorkeling four times, it was fair. a couple times the boat captain dove in with us and found some things we'd never find. the offer a longer snorkeling trip that sounded like it was much better in the afternoons for $30, we didn't find out about this until our last day, so we didn't get to go. We usually went to lunch around 12 or 1:00. We did the pizza a couple times and bluefields a couple times, mostly we went to the buffet. After lunch we'd head back to the pool or beach. Around 3:00 or 4:00!we would grab a snack at the jerk pit or the cafe (our favorite place!) and head to our room. My wife would normally take a nap or relax in the whirlpool and then we'd shower and get ready for dinner.

I basically wore dress shorts and a button down or polo shirt to dinner every night. Elanores was the only restaurant that required pants for men. We ate ate Elanores and Jasmines twice, bluefields, bayside, Giuseppe's, and Neptune's all once. And on one of our Mondays we ate at the outdoor buffet. Giuseppe's was my wife's least favorite. I wouldn't say I had a least favorite, enjoyed them all. The steak I had at Elanores on our last night was probably my favorite dish. I also wasn't shy about ordering two entrees most nights. If you can't decide, get them both! I'm typically a picky eater and I don't like seafood, but I had no trouble finding something I'd like most nights. The toughest was at Bayside, I got the Duck and I really enjoyed it. Bluefields is the nicest setting, it's on the water and you get to see the sunset while you dine, very very nice.

After dinner we usually went back to the cafe for desert and relaxed outside before the nightly entertainment. The entertainment most nights was very good. The beach party is a lot of fun and the nights in Le Caberet were a lot of fun as well, my wife and I participated in most of the games there before the shows. We didn't care for white night/chocolate buffet. We thought it was a bit boring bit all in all the entertainment was good and the entertainment staff was a lot of fun. They were very friendly and by the end of our stay we were on a first name basis with them (as well as the staff in the cafe). Almost every night when we got back to our room we had a card and a treat from our concierge! It was so nice, she was the sweetest.

Checkout was a breeze as well. They sent the bill and instructions to our room the night before. I settled the bill (gift shop purchases) that night. In the morning we packed our bags, checked out, went to breakfast, then waited for our bus to the airport. Most of the managers were there to see everyone off, they even sang a song! The GM made it a point to personally say good bye and thank you to everyone.

We did two excursions - zip line canopy and black river safari and YS falls combo. Zip line was a blast. That was the only rain we had and it was welcomed, it was very hot in the jungle! The safari was cool, our captain did a good job of luring the crocodiles out and he tried to kiss one but the croc wouldn't let him haha. The YS falls was fun, but I wish we had more time there. We tipped all our tour guides and drivers $5, they all seemed very thankful for it.

Only a few cons:
Upwelling for spa services is very annoying. I am on vacation, I don't want to be hassled. I can goto a spa anytime, please leave me alone.
The drive to and from the resort is about 90 minutes and very bumpy. The drivers do a great job of avoiding potholes though!
The photographers are a little annoying too, we always tried to avoid them on our way to dinner. The photo packages are also very expensive and come with either the print or digital, not both. I that that was ridiculous. We all know it takes little effort to put the photos on a disc. And the photos were already taken, that's the real work.

I highly recommend club mobay passes for departure. They are only $30 and you fast track security and there is a ton of food and drinks on the lounge with Internet. Well worth it!

We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nick B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,027)
Owings Mills, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just returned from our anniversary trip to Sandals Whitehouse. We were in a Butler Suite. Our butlers - Kamar and Omar - were perfect. We could not have asked for any better service. From check in to check out anything we needed they provided. From drinks and snacks on the beach to making our dinner reservations and escorting us to dinner they excelled!
Michael from the fitness department motivated us in any activity we participated in. I would highly recommend the morning Power Walk. The view from the GM's house is outstanding.
For a perfect vacation I would highly recommend Sandals Whitehouse.

1 Thank Jay B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our first trip to a Sandal's resort. While it was very nice, I must be honest and say I was disappointed. I expected it to be more "grand" from everything I've heard. We have done many all inclusive's and comparing them, it isn't what I expected. Having said that, it is a very beautiful place. I was disappointed in a few things. At "my room level" Wi fi was not included. In our room we only had soda, water and juice. I asked the front desk and was told I could purchase Wi fi AND beer!!! It is all inclusive! However I left a note for the maid and received beer in our room. The food was good but the portions are small, the appetizers are very small, order one, two or three. I am NOT a large eater by any means. The staff was great and very friendly. I find it VERY sad that Sandal's does not allow tipping. I will say we tipped when we could, VERY discreetly. The employees deserve to be tipped. All in all we had a wonderful time. The employees made this happen, another reason we should be able to tip. If not for them, I would have been very disappointed in the resort. I don't mean to sound like I was unhappy with the resort, I just expected more with all the "Sandal's Hype" I have heard over the years..

1 Thank grand_illusion
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Having just spent 14 nights at Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica I can't say anything wrong about Sandals, again our room wasn't anything to write home about, fairly basic & one disappointment was that we had no beers in our fridge, water & soft drinks only, however we felt comfortable apart from the air conditioning unit leaking for a number of days in our wardrobe, hence our clothing was wet through, after complaining 3 times I told the GM who instantly put things right & had our clothes washed & pressed & returned very quickly. The resort was very nice, great beach, nice sea, nice pools, always a parasol & sunbed available, even floaters in pools were always available, some people however still insist on putting towels on beds at 6.30am & the new arrivals tend to grab the floaters & put them under their beds but the staff were very quick to stop this practice & made sure they were promptly put back in the pool. We really did enjoy every meal we had, the Italian & French restaurants were our favourites & even though I am not a burger fan the burger lunch at Bluefields was excellent, we were lucky enough to have a special lunch prepared by John the chef at Bluefields on our last day, it was exceptional. Entertainment team work really hard & the shows were well put together. What I would say is 2 weeks is a long time to spend in one place, we didn't really fancy any of the trips on offer, didn't really want to go zip lining, wasn't interested in buggy's or rum factory tour, & the trip to Bob Marley's resting place took 4 hours one way so we stayed put. The thing I missed most was the lack of English guests, I only met 2 in 14 day's the resort was 99.9% American guests who I must say were mostly very nice people, however most day's we never failed to be entertained by a few loud drunken individuals making a spectacle of themselves, as one left another arrived to fill their boots around the main pool, got to say the beach was absolutely peaceful so rest bite is available if you want to be quite, in short I missed my fellow countrymen. The bars were okay, the guy's at the bar are quite a spectacle & good entertainment playing the same act most nights, however after 14 nights of it the fun wears thin, we did spend a couple of nights in the Martini bar, but it wasn't our scene really. Would I go back, yes but we don't do return holidays so we will be trying something else next year.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nigelo474
Ojai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We've traveled extensively in Jamaica since the early 80s. Have visited every coastal parish and stayed at the finest properties on the island including Rio Chico, where we were married in 1989, all of the Island Outpost properties, Trident in Port Antonio, Round Hill, Half Moon, Dragon Bay (when it was open), and numerous other private villas and hotels. We have never been fans of all inclusive resorts - until now and we've experienced every one including Grand Lido, Jamaica Jamaica, Hedonism, Sandals, etc etc. This property completely changed our perspective. The minute you walk through the doors of the grand lobby, the transformation begins. The energy on the South Coast of Jamaica is truly special. I've always loved this quiet and pristine corner of the island. Sandals WhiteHouse is remarkable! The staff are sincerely happy and incredibly accommodating, obviously inspired by GM Mr. G who truly loves what he does and it shows! Rick is also great and management overall is best in breed. Kudos to Butch and Adam Stewart! These guys rock and know how to deliver an unforgettable vacation experience. The food is really good and we are EXTREMELY PICKY. Food is probably the number one reason we have avoided all inclusives in the past. Most of it is garbage dressed up top look good. They've really done a great job here at WhiteHouse with all of the numerous dining choices. Excellent variety and overall quality. Cafe was great, even the Pizza was surprisingly tasty (get the four cheese and add pesto), Piano Martini bar was really cool, etc. etc. There are numerous choices for adventure tours and sight seeing within less than an hour drive of the resort and the scenery is beautiful. YS Falls, Lovers leap, Appleton Estate Rum Tour, Black River safari tour, Treasure beach, lovers Leap, zip lines, etc,. etc, Great launch point to get out and about to explore the island without the fuss and hustle common in other parts of the island. We're converted and cant say enough good about this resort. Not a great spot for singles but grab your significant other and escape here ASAP. You WILL NOT BE sorry!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Reno R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were treated with a wonderful honeymoon here from July 1-8 2013, I absolutely loved it!!! Everyone is so nice and their entertainment staff was outstanding...we were lucky enough to befriend Shane who is phenomenal!!! He even had lunch with us one day which was very special to us :) Most days we were worn out from the water activities and were usually in bed before 11 but enjoyed the nightlife they offered around 9 every night...I also made a trip to the Cafe every night for a crepe (fabulous!!) and pastries for my husband and I. The food was the only disappointment for me...I will eat anything and am not too picky but I had great expectations for this place based on reviews.... The best meal we had Was the candlelight dinner for two on my husbands birthday July 5, despite the menu saying lobster would be available after June 30 when my husbands dinner came they'd changed him to the steak and shrimp like me instead of the steak and lobster I'd ordered him...the meal was fabulous but paying extra for dinners expected what I'd ordered! Giuseppe's was my least favorite by far... We ate there late at night so maybe that's why the food was so lackluster...I was almost offended by how bad :( jasmines was awesome!!! The sushi was so good on our 1st trip there we got it as an appetizer 4 nights in a row before going for entrees elsewhere... The sushi changes daily and we never got anything else as good as our first time, but the staff there was so nice we kept on going! The only advice I have is get a Dutch top floor corner room...ours was perfect in location and the view was delightful!!! Also sign up for the early morning activities in case it gets windy or rains later on In the day, the snorkeling fills up very quickly so our concierge room allowed us to have them get us a space whenever. The room service is ok...nothing to write home About but not horrible...the concierge was wonderful for us...they decorated my husbands bed on his birthday and did a wonderful turn down service on our first full night for our honeymoon. All in all an almost perfect trip!!! The resort is so expansive it feels like you're in your own little world with your loved one. The lighted walkways and fire pits are also so beautiful at night!!! ! I would go back in a heartbeat but the next vacations we take will be with our children :)

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linds9151
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me give you some context of me and wife's style before I begin the review. We are not high maintenance people. We really aren't the type to try to mingle with other people/couples. We also usually go to bed very early, usually before 10 PM. We are beach people and just like to sit and read under a palapa all day. We were up by 6-6:30 each morning...sometimes earlier. We also are not very picky when it comes to food and eating.

We stayed at Whitehouse from June 30-July 4, 2013. We stayed in a Penthouse Concierge room on the 4th floor of the Italian Village, room 1414. The view from our room was absolutely awesome. Balcony looked directly over the large hot tub in the Italian Village. We did not venture to the French Village much, nor the Dutch Village. Most of our time was spent under a palapa very close to the beach volleyball area/main pool swim up bar.

This place is absolutely awesome. We ate at all of the restaurants except Bluefield's by the French Village. We went to the pasta restaurant twice for dinner and picked up pizza's from there to eat on the beach. We didn't spend much time in the pool except towards the end of each day. The crowd there was somewhat lively, entertaining and large. It was important to us to be within close walking distance to the bar to get drinks. We got our spot on the beach early and had no problems picking out a good strategic location as we ate breakfast at 7:30 each morning.

My wife and I did most of the watersports activities. I waterskied on 2 different days. I had a good time watching all of the people not make it up on the water. If you are going to waterski, it is best to do it in the morning as the surf was usually rougher in the afternoon. We also rode the Hobie Cat, kayaked and did the stand up paddle board. We ventured out into the water a few times and yes there is some grass you will walk on in the beach area by the main pool. We did the snorkel tour on 2 different days. Went to a different reef each time. The snorkeling is not the greatest in the world, but we love to swim in the water and just look at the wildlife. The snorkel session is 30 minutes and offered at 10, 11 and 1 each day. Again, best to go earlier in the day and make a reservation if possible at least 1-2 days in advance.

We ate at Eleanor's and the Asian restaurant once for dinner, did Neptune's once for lunch and ate some chicken from the Jerk Pit. All was very good, but we liked the pasta place the best! Made a stop at the pastry shop, Cafe de Paris a few times. It was very good.

The resort also has 2 areas to play chess and shuffleboard and an area to play croquet. Big covered area to play pool or checkers next to the main pool. In addition, the resort had people from outside the resort on 2 separate occassions bring arts/crafts and other souvenir's for people to purchase.

Much has been said about the transfer to/from the airport. I grew up in Texas and drive on rural county roads all the time, so it was no big deal for me. However, I think the experience can be good/bad depending on the driver. Going to the resort, our driver, Dean, was AWESOME. However, our driver going to the airport thought he was Dale Earnhardt Jr.

To be honest, I really think a majority of the people that have major complaints about this place are VERY high maintenance. This place is awesome and I would go back in a heartbeat. We have been to a Sandals resort before (Royal Bahamian in December 2008) and this resort met our expectations and then some. Some people need to remember a few things when they travel to resorts like this: 1) You are on an ISLAND....no need to be in a hurry for anything! 2) Don't take the US Constitution with you! You are on Jamaican time and Jamaican rules!

10 Thank utex99
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,154 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!