“Another Great Sandals Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals South Coast

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Jacksonville, Florida
“Another Great Sandals Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed 7 nights at SWH earlier this month and had a wonderful vacation! It was a perfect week - we relaxed, reconnected and had a ton of fun! The reviews that describe the resort as stunning and the service as fantastic are absolutely right; I’m not sure I can add anything new there. I’ll focus my review on the diving and a brief comparison of the other Sandals we’ve visited. Hopefully the information is helpful is deciding if this resort is right for your trip.

A bit of background to put the review in context: We’re both in our 30’s; this is our third stay at a Sandals’ resort, though our first trip to Jamaica; we prefer Sandals to other all inclusive resorts because scuba diving is included, which is a significant value. To be candid, we choose SWH for our vacation because they offered a great deal. We also heard positive things about the resort during stays at other Sandals resorts. (Note: we heard mixed things about Jamaica before we left, but we found the country to be beautiful and the people wonderful. We were never harassed and always felt safe).

Scuba Diving
We enjoy diving on vacation and, as mentioned, it’s one of the draws to Sandals. We’re Advanced Open Water certified with approximately 50 total dives before the trip. We dove 9 times (5 days) during our stay and were pleased with the operation. Our first morning we headed to the water shop to sign up for dives (desk is located at the end of the resort near Neptune’s). We signed a waiver and they checked our certification. My last dive was in Dec; they asked if I wanted a check out dive but were accommodating when I declined. You need to sign up for your dive(s) a day in advance – this appears to be a firm rule, especially for your first dive. Also, you can’t sign up for the whole week at once; you have to sign up each day for the next day. There are 2 dives daily (each one tank) – at 9 AM and 11 AM. The first dive is deeper (max depth for us was 90 ft) and the second dive is much shallower at a closer location. If you want to do both dives, you end up back at the dock for a bit before heading out again. The dive boat could be crowded, but we were able to dive all the times we wanted. A lot of days the second dive was less crowded than the first dive. On the busier days, the Open Water divers dove separately from the Advanced divers. All of the dives are guided. The water was warm and calm, which made for easy diving (good for beginners). Underwater there were good, though not spectacular, views. It wasn’t the best diving, but we never regretted doing a dive on the trip. The visibility was limited on many days, but they may have resulted from a recent storm. There was plenty of coral, though limited sea life. We saw rays, a giant crab and shark during the week. The Dive Team was great! They were laid back and helpful. There was always juice, water and treats on boat. Another cool thing about diving is that you often end up diving with the same people each day – so you meet people and hear about their great trips and experiences. We always get great ideas for our next trip.

SWH
We’ve also stayed at Sandals Grande St Lucian (2011) and Sandals Royal Bahamian (2012). We loved all our stays and would happily revisit any of the resorts. All of the resorts are beautiful – the landscaping is stunning and the rooms are consistent; the pools, restaurants, bars and entertainment are very similar. SWH is most similar to the Grande St Lucian in that both resorts are spread out and tend to attract people staying for a week or more. In addition, both resorts required an hour plus commute from the airport to the resort. SWH has a longer beach than the Grande St Lucian, though. The Royal Bahamian is close to the airport and more compact (you won’t need to walk far to get around the resort). It seemed there were more people staying just a few days and it was perhaps a rowdier crowd. The Royal Bahamian has a beautiful private island to escape the crowds at the resort, which the other two resorts don’t have. The one drawback to the SWH compared to the other two resorts is that there isn’t a pub or casual place to eat; we’re told they are in the process of building a pub and it will be a great addition. Dinner felt very formal (food style, not dress) which can get tedious after several nights.

Rooms
IMO you don’t have to pay extra for a higher level room to have a great trip. We booked a base level room, Luxury Beachfront Room. We were located in the French Village which is farthest from the central restaurant/courtyard area. The room was perfect for us – we had a corner room on the 3rd floor with a beautiful water view. We booked base level rooms at the other Sandals resorts as well and have always been happy with the rooms. Walking a bit doesn’t bother us. I think part of the reason we love Sandals is because the price we pay is in line with our expectations. I’m not sure I’d be so happy if were paying $5K or more!

YS Falls
We don’t do many excursions since we dive most days. We did the YS Falls excursion and highly recommend it! The falls are about 40 minutes away from the resort; since we were relatively close it seemed like a good opportunity. The experience was orchestrated to maximize our fun. We did zip lining first – the guides helped with the gear and did all the line exchanges, so it was very safe. We did 7 lines, many of them over the falls. Afterward a guide took us up to the falls and we swam in the fall pools. The guide took several pictures for us - which was great! If you’re adventurous, you can use the swing rope to fall into a pool. Just make sure you have water shoes (not flip flops) if you want to visit the falls.

Quick tip: you can order pizza to go from Giuseppe’s in the evening if you need a snack or just want a casual dinner.

We have a great vacation and would definitely return!

5 Thank Ckayj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,026)
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

It was our first time to a Sandals Resort and I guess our expectations were a little high. I found that there was a shortage of staff in all areas but really noticable in the dining areas. We did have a wonderful time and the resort was beautiful but there was a few things I should have known before we went. Should have done my homework, my fault.

1. If you want beer in your fridge thats an extra.
2. If you want bathrobes or room service thats an extra
3. If you want to reserve a restaurant, thats an extra
4. If you want a kintiki hut, thats an extra
5. The French village is a 10 minute walk to the main pool

Now that I know all this, I have stayed at other resorts that offer a lot more for a lot less money. I believe Sandals is charging for its name but do not be fooled, there are a lot of nice 5 Star resorts that offer more bang for the buck.

Room Tip: French Village is a long walk to get supper or a morning coffee.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HalifaxBluenosers
League City, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I just returned from a very nice stay at the luxurious Sandals Whitehouse Resort & Spa. We found this resort to be in a very quiet, secluded area of Jamaica with a small fishing village on one side & just jungle on the other side. The resort is small enough that you run into the same staff members often so you get to know them a bit! The staff was quite friendly & most went out of their way to help. The concierge staff was very attentive, as we were in a concierge level room. Special thanks to Kimberly, Kadiann & Kenoi. This property is located on an area of the coast which has the protection of a reef, so the water is very calm. What a perfect place it turned out to be for learning to paddle board & sail!

There were numerous weddings going on during our stay. It's always fun to see those beautiful moments and have a chance to congratulate the couples. The location has beautiful sunsets, so couples were always having sunset photos made & we imagine those photos probably came out beautifully!
We particularly enjoyed the Cafe de Paris, where they have some amazing crepes made by Cassandra, TracyAnn & one other lady whose name I am not sure of. In the Bayside restaurant, they had a nice buffet for when you wanted something quick & informal. We were very impressed by the service offered by Moya, Tresan, Ruthann & Michel. One morning Tresan even got me a plate of the Jamaican national dish, Ackee & Saltfish to try! The Asian restaurant, Jasmine's had a great selection of Asian styled meals. The Korean beef was really great!
I always try out the spas (doing the hard work of research for my travel clients!) & loved having a very nice massage during our stay.
This is a perfect resort for really relaxing and enjoying some pampering. If you need lots of night life, there are other resorts and areas of the island to consider. You can certainly get in touch with me if you would be interested to know more! Really loved my stay!

Room Tip: Always book your Sandals stay with a Certified Sandals Specialist, such as myself. I would recommen...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you so much for posting about your amazing stay at Sandals Whitehouse. I'm so glad that we were able to make your trip so wonderful and so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Cassie C.
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We recently visited Sandals Whitehouse on our honeymoon and it was wonderful. I'm sure that there are fancier places to go, but as average people who live an average life, this trip was pretty luxurious.

Your vacation at Sandals Whitehouse begins with a short wait in the Sandals lounge in the airport where you can go ahead and get your first Red Stripe on tap before beginning an...interesting...1.5 hour drive through the interior of the country via shuttle bus. It was a very neat look at the REAL Jamaica, but definitely if you suffer from motion sickness, you're going to have a tough time. The driving is very fast and the roads are very curvy, mountainous, and full of pot holes the size of cows. Luckily, all the shuttles conveniently have "Oh Crap" handles located directly in front of you so you can hang on. But our driver got us there and back in one piece, so don't let this discourage you from choosing this fantastic resort! And really, unless you're staying IN Montego Bay, there's going to be a fairly long shuttle ride to your resort. Also, the shuttle drivers do not work for the hotels, so you are expected to tip them for their services.

The property itself is pretty impressive. It's sprawling and immaculately manicured. You can see the ocean from every room in every village (of which there are three: the Italian, Dutch, and French), so I'm not sure if you could get a bad room. All of the shops and restaurants except one are located in the main Italian village, but it was really only about a five minute walk from our building. There are two shops that sell souvenirs and necessity items, a photo studio, and a jewelry store. Local vendors come to sell their wares on several days during the week.

There are three pools, one in each village. The main pool in the Italian village is the largest, and it's where we spent all of our pool time. The Dutch pool was VERY quiet, and is the only pool without a swim-up bar, and the French pool was the "party" pool and always seemed packed and very lively. All the pools are beach-front. As I've read in reviews of other resorts, an unfortunate aspect of our visit was that if you wanted a lounger by any of the pools, you had to get up and go put a towel out on your chair by about 7am or you wouldn't get a chair. People would begin to clear out by mid-afternoon though, and then finding a lounger wasn't a problem. We didn't have a problem finding chairs on the beach at all. The beach itself is nice and long, great for walking. It stretches on past the edge of the property, and all you have to do is give your name and room number to the security guard posted at the property line as you walk past. There's lots of intact shells to collect, live starfish to see, and little crabs scurrying around. Yes, the water really is as clear and blue as it looks in any photograph you find online. I am an avid birder, and the bird life was abundant. Several peacocks wander the property, and one mated pair even had babies following them around! Too cute!

There are several guest interaction activities going on throughout each day and nightly entertainment. We did a few of the activities and went to see most of the nightly entertainment. It was hit or miss--some of it was really spectacular and some things were just not our taste. But you won't know if you're going to enjoy it if you don't show up, so I encourage you to attend. The entertainment crew (Geraldine, Prince, Wayon, and the other lady whose name escapes me) were amazing and it wasn't for lack of trying on their part that some things were a flop. My husband and I even got up on stage and danced during the beach party! It was great fun!

We tried a few of the included activities as well. The spaces fill up pretty quickly for the things you have to reserve, so make sure you do so early if there's something you want to do. The snorkeling trip was not my personal cup of tea, but my husband absolutely loved it. They take you out to the reef and there's a lot of neat stuff to see. So it was great if you're into stuff like getting in the ocean (I decided that I'm really more of a next-to-/on-top-of the water kind of person). The glass bottom boat was cool, and we tried the ocean kayaking and the aqua-trike, also cool. My husband tried paddle-boarding and was horrible at it, but said it was fun.

We tried all the restaurants except the Asian restaurant, as neither I nor my husband like Asian food. We never had to wait in line for a table, and the service was fairly quick (which you're on vacation, so you shouldn't be in a hurry anyway) and always friendly. Eleanor's was delicious for breakfast and for dinner (this is the only restaurant you have to dress up for dinner at). We had the buffet breakfast and lunch at Bayside, and both were tasty. Pizzas on the Piazza for lunch at the Italian restaurant was delish, but dinner there was seriously underwhelming. The beef patties at Bluefield's for lunch are not to be missed, but their burger left something to be desired. Dinner there was awesome. We had dinner at Neptune's twice, and it was definitely our favorite. The Jerk Pit on the beach was really good too. The cafe had good coffee and treats and a pretty awesome hot crepe station. Keep in mind that at all the restaurants, appetizers and desserts are meant to be individually portioned. Pretty much be prepared to go into a food coma, because all you'll do is stuff your face the whole time.

We went to the spa and got a couples massage. It was very nice and relaxing, and the spa atmosphere was great. Just a suggestion, but if you're going to do any kind of massage, do it before you get out in the sun and get burned. We were so glad we booked ours for the beginning of our trip before we spent all day out in the brutal sunshine.

We stayed in a concierge level suite, and I think that it was definitely worth the extra money. The concierge staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. We would frequently come back to our room to find snacks, cards, towel sculptures, and even still warm bubble baths. One day there was a shortage of beach towels around the property, and when we voiced our concerns to the concierge, they had eight beach towels delivered to our room (which may have been a factor in the property-wide shortage...?). Everything (bags, check-in, check-out, concerns, booking excursions, booking of special activities and spa services, etc.) was done through the concierge desk, which was just a short walk from our room in the Dutch Village. Other perks of this level of suite were the complete room service menu and fully stocked mini-bar and fridge in our room. We also got breakfast in bed one morning, but I'm not sure if that was because we were concierge or on our honeymoon. Either way, it was great.

One last thing. Jamaica pretty much has two seasons--wet and dry. Their wet season just started, and while we were there it rained four of the seven days. However, the rain didn't come over the mountain until sometime between 2:00 and 5:00 pm, and on average didn't last more than an hour any day, so it really didn't hinder us from doing anything (plus it cleared out chairs at the pool!). Okay, one more last thing: I definitely recommend getting tickets to the MoBay Club for your departure from the airport. It took FOREVER to check in for our departing flight, so it was nice to relax in the MoBay Club area afterward. There's an open bar and snack bar, and since we had a couple of hours before our flight, it sure beat the pants off sitting in the loud, crowded gate waiting area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank penguinac
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Whitehouse. We're happy to read that you had such a great honeymoon with us. You enjoyed our luxurious and fun amenities, delicious dining and the true hospitality of our friendly staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing vacation in the near future.

Cassie C.
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

After getting ill at Sandals Antigua last summer over our honeymoon, we were given 2 nights free stay at Sandals. We decided to try a different sandals this time and were very impressed!! We were immediately greeted at the Sandals desk at the airport where they took our bags and had transportation ready within 10 minutes. We left from the airport quickly as well. The drive was about an hour and 15 minutes and we thought it was cultural. It was an opportunity to see come of the country as opposed to just the beach. The ride was fine. Bumpy, but if you get car sick try sitting towards the front. When we arrived they checked us in after serving us champagne and our butler gave us a short tour of the property on our way to our room. The lobby/main entrance to the hotel was very impressive. It is like a palace in a third word country. beautiful marble floors and columns and huge windows looking out to the ocean and resort main pool. Our room had to be one of the best in the resort. We noticed it was the closest to the beach on the first floor. It was very clean and definitely spacious. The location of the resort and the view were so gorgeous. The beach is very deep and long. It stretches on a curve around the bay which felt very private. As opposed to the resort in Antigua, the beech is private, so there are only resort guests on this huge beach. Our butler service was excellent as it was in Antigua. Chris was an EXCELLENT butler. It made us feel very comfortable that he was satisfied serving us and always willing to make our experience better. When I asked him about aloe, he cut fresh aloe from a nearby tree...amazing and it worked extremely well on my sunburn. He made spots for us on the beach every morning for when we got up and served us surprise drinks throughout the day! They really think of everything! The resort was very calm when we were there. Perhaps because it was February and not high honeymoon season. The food was pretty good. You can find great options if you dig around and look at everything that is offered. The local cuisine (i.e. Jerk chicken, lobster, etc.) is their specialty. What we love most is the layout and the variety of areas at the resort. They have daybeds outside in front of fire pits that are so therapeutic to lay in at night and listen to the ocean the live music and watch the stars. There are lots of paths to walk and of course the beach. Overall we really did have a great experience. The place was very clean and the service was so friendly. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LLinos2
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Whitehouse on May 8th...We always book thru Beach Bum Vacations. This was our 5th trip the Sandals Whitehouse and it never gets boring or old. We love going there, the atmosphere, the people, the food, everything about that place is amazing. We will continue to book thru the best travel agency, Beach Bum Vacations, and continue the visit one of the most amazing resorts in Jamaica, Sandals Whitehouse, every year!

Room Tip: We booked the concierge room but upgraded to the butler room a few days later!!! The butlers spoil y...
5 Thank Jennifer N
Monticello, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sandals White House from May 3, 2013-May 9, 2013. From the time that we arrived at Montego Bay we were treated like royalty. As soon as we came through immigration we were met by the Sandals staff that were so nice and helpful. We didn't have to worry about anything. Bags were taken care of and our shuttle was arranged to go to the resort. They even have complimentary drinks and refreshments for you while you wait.
The bus ride to White House is very interesting. We loved seeing the Jamaican country side and the driver was very entertaining. I'll have to say that I was not scared but the driver kept us on the lookout dodging pot holes, other cars and even people walking.
When we arrived at the resort we were met with friendly smiles and such nice people. Check in was very efficient and the staff brought us drinks to enjoy during our short wait. After we signed the paperwork to check in we were loaded into a golf cart along with our bags and chauffeured to our room. Kenoi, the guy that checked us in and carried our luggage was so nice. He carried all four of our bags to the room. I said, "I wish you would let me help you". "He said "No boss, your on vacation." Awesome service.
The room was very clean and spacious. The furniture was very nice and modern. They cleaned our room twice a day and stocked our refrigerator everyday. They even come in at night and closed our shades and turn the bed down. We got spoiled by the staff. Our room had a very nice ocean view.
While there we tried every restaurant on the property. They were all great with awesome staff. Our favorites were Eleanors and Bayside. Eleanors had the best steaks and Bayside had the huge breakfast buffet that we ate everyday. It was awesome.
We were married on May 6th at the resort. The wedding couldn't have been more perfect. Thanks to our dedicated wedding team. Fabriella and Sebrina made our day so amazing and our wedding turned out just like we wanted. This is a beautiful place to get married and Febriella and Sebrina make it so stress free. Seems like all we had to do was get dressed and show up and they do all the rest. Thanks ladies for making our day so memorable.
We would also recommend you buy a picture and video package from Snapshots at the resort. Trevon and Sheldon were our photographer and videographer. They did an awesome job and they were so entertaining while taking our pictures. My wife and Trevon even sang together while walking from picture to picture. They made us feel right at home and like we had known them for years even though we only met and hour or two before that. The wedding pictures that we brought back with us are so awesome. When we show them to people they say "Wow, that looks like something out of a magazine". Thanks guys for capturing our awesome memories in some great pictures.
On the way to dinner our last night there we wanted to get some sunset pictures on the beach. It had started raining so we were thinking there was no way we could get one. On our way to the restaurant we ran into Trevon and Sheldon. We told them what we were doing and Trevon said you guys seem adventurous. Lets go try to get one. Trevon walked with us to the beach and when we got there it had stopped raining. He took the most beautiful picture of us with the sun coming through an opening in the clouds. I am sure it could win awards. We spent alot of time with Trevon and Sheldon and got aquainted with them. I have already talk to Trevon since we returned home on the phone and I hope to stay in touch for years to come.
I am sure the other photographers are great but if you get pictures or video done at WhiteHouse ask for Trevon and Sheldon. They are great and we highly recommend them and appreciate all that they did for us so much.
The nightly entertainment and beach party was so awesome too. Thanks to Sheldon, Shane, Prince, Ms. Kate and Gerldine. You guys are great and kept us laughing the whole time we were there.
We would highly recommend staying at Sandals WhiteHouse Resort. The bus ride is not all that bad and is totally worth it. We want to say a special thanks to all our new friends Trevon, Sheldon, Febriella, Sebrina and Nikesha (Bartender at Neptunes) and Kenoi for making our stay and our wedding at Sandals White House so memorable and special... THANKS!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Italian Village are close to all the activities and resturants at the resort.
7 Thank Michael U
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,151 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!