“Peace and tranquility” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
“Peace and tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I traveled here for his birthday. This is our second visit to a Sandals property and were quite pleased with this property. We stayed in the Italian Village, which is the closest to the main Piazza. Unless you are a party animal, I would recommend that you stay in the French Village. While it will be a longer walk to the main restaurants, it will be much quieter and you will have your own swim up pool. The Dutch village has a pool bar too, but it is not a swim up type. On Wednesday night they have a White Hot party, which goes on until 11:00 or 12:00. So if you are an early riser and like to go to bed at a decent hour, the Italian Village is not for you. There beach is infested with sand fleas, which they are constantly spraying but it didn't seem to do much good. They didn't bother us, but I know some people were bitten quite severely. The employees are really attuned to your preferences. For example, Shadae and Shamel knew I liked chocolate and my husband vanilla and suggested treats at Cafe de Paris each night we visited. Oshane and Tasheika remembered the kind of juice we preferred, that my husband likes ice for his milk, and we prefer Splenda over sugar for our coffee. They always clarified, but brought our favorite items often without having to ask. You will love this resort....

Room Tip: Stay in the French village. Top floors have the best view.
3 Thank susandns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,027)
Ada, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is our third Sandals stay. We are in our fist day and so far a great disappointment.
Our penthouse concierge room we upgraded to has a balcony the size of a thimble. A bummer as we like breakfast there. We are not in the Dutch Village as requested but Italian which has no full sized pool or bar. Our safe will not operate so I am carrying around cash and jewelry because after two hours they have yet to replace a battery.
We are told no room to move so get used to it. We will make this a great week but as this is how they treat a 3rd time guest it will be our last with Sandals. We did use our Sandals credit for past stays they advertise. Maybe you pay a price for actually cashing them in.
Rich Holmes

Room Tip: Stay away from the Italian village rooms around 1412.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richard H
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and alerting us of your concerns during your stay. I'm so sorry that your first day with us did not meet your expectations but this is definitely not the impression we want you to have.

After speaking with our General Manager, I'm happy that we were able to turn things around for you during your stay. I understand that our GM has been checking in with you, regularly, and has ensured that your vacation is turning out to be a memorable and amazing experience.

I hope to make contact with you soon to hear about the wonderful upgrades and experiences you have had during your stay.

Cassie C.
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My last review for SWH was for our stay in February 2012, and since then we've been back to our favourite resort 3x...in November 2012, January 2013 and February 2013. Let me say that once again SWH provided us a great vacation experience!

Rather than post a review of amenities, I'd thought I'd post a few thoughts, offer a little bit of advice and mention a few notable staff from these past three trips. The staff at any resort can make or break your vacation experience and the ones mentioned in this review are only a few of those who exceeded our expectations.

CONCIERGE
On all three of these recent trips we stayed concierge level and I give kudo's to the concierge team....they are second to none at any Sandals we've stayed. Each day we returned to our room after a day lounging at the pool or beach to find a delicious treat from our concierge. Most every day a concierge member would call our room to ensure everything was ok and to see if there was anything we needed. The few times we did need assistance (broken a/c, door which wouldn't close, wine needed as we were entertaining in our room), they responded very quickly. Ava and your team...you do a great job!

HOUSEKEEPING
We tend to stay in the same area of the Italian Village and so have had the same housekeeping staff more than once depending on our room location. Keisha and Tamara...you do a wonderful job of keeping our room clean and well stocked..and you both do it with a smile and a sincere desire to ensure your guests have everything they need. As an added reminder for those visiting SWH...keep in mind that weekends are busiest with departures and new arrivals and so it's possible while there that your room mightn't be cleaned until later in the day on the weekends...no problem!

SOON COME BACK (also SSG for returning guests)
Georgia makes us feel welcomed each and every time we return to SWH and we always enjoy seeing her smiling face at the SCB desk. She is proactive in ensuring our SSG information is correct so that we can be recognized for our milestones. A tip for returning guests...this resort holds one of the largest Returnee Guest dinners and the SSG team does a great job. Still, take it upon yourself to verify your past stay information with them and ensure they know you are planning to attend the Returnee's Dinner so that your milestones can be acknowledged correctly at the dinner. Not only do you want it to be right, they want it to be right too!

BAR STAFF/WAIT STAFF
Staff...bar staff, wait staff...for the most part...fantastic! It was wonderful to see Sherika try her darndest to ensure a "French" experience at dinner in Bayside...we all laughed trying to remember the french words for some of the dinner items and in trying to understand each other's french. It made for a fun dinner.

For breakfast in Bayside we were greeted each and every day with hugs and pleasant "good mornings" from Vineth and Marsha. These ladies are so quick and efficient in seating guests and preparing tables...it might seem like a long line-up at the door some mornings for breakfast, but in reality it moves very quickly. All the team including the managers pitch in wherever needed.

Ashani is a contract employee usually working at Bayside for breakfast and lunch. He made a special effort to remember the names of our party of 4 in January...to the point that he was able to ask about each of the four by name when two of us returned in February. Considering the hundreds of guests he would meet over the course of a week, this speaks well of his desire to not only do his job well, but to go above and beyond.

Hubby went to the same omelette station each morning because he raved about the great omelettes Tamara makes!

Anyone who knows Copeland can confirm what an entertaining bartender he is. If you are at Neptunes bar, you can't miss (hearing) him!

These are only a few of the many frontline staff who help make our stay enjoyable.

ENTERTAINMENT
When you are at SWH, really take notice of the entertainment staff and how talented these people are. Cheldon, Prince, Shane, Geraldine to name a few. You might see them dancing at the pool, playing beach volleyball or putting on a great show singing or dancing in the cabaret or martini bar. A very very talented group of people.

WATER SPORTS/POOL TEAM
The water sports and pool team are another group which often go unacknowledged. Anyone who lounges at the main pool will know Damian and Errol and will see them hard at work sweeping the pool deck, gathering up glasses and towels, interacting with guests. They aren't the only ones...Howard, Shawn and others all seem to love their jobs. Ewen has taken us out sailing twice and brought us back to solid ground safely...even retrieving one of our hats which had blown off the boat during our sail and which we thought had been lost to the sea forever! Others around the pool and beach such as Aldane ensure your drinks are taken care of without needing to walk or swim the few feet to the swim-up bar.

SPA
The spa is one place that hubby won't set foot in, so I get to benefit the pampering on my own. I tend to ask for the same spa attendants each time...Keisha for my massages and Jarrett for my manicures. I come out of my massage treatments with Keisha feeling totally like jello...so relaxed and mellow...exactly what vacation time from busy lives should be! Not only does Jarrett do a great job on my nails, she entertains me with interesting family stories. Keep in mind that any spa credits do not include the 12.5% service fee...this is charged to your room over and above your treatment.

MANAGEMENT
Management is available to all guests to answer questions or listen to your concerns...from Mr. G. (General Manager), to Kwashie (Operations Mgr), to Heather (Guest Services Director), to Jeffrey (Director of Sales), to Frederico (Food & Beverage Director)...can't tell you how many questions I ask of them each trip in order to provide accurate information on the Whitehouse travel forums. And they really do listen and act on your concerns. I recently made a suggestion to Kwashie concerning lighting in a certain area of the resort, and he was happy to tell me on this latest visit that it is being taken care of. It's a pretty normal process for any guests experiencing concerns to speak with management....but please, don't just take your issues to the management team...let them know the good things you see too! Constructive feedback includes the positives.

RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT
As a guest, take time to speak to the restaurant managers...among them....Earl at Giuseppes is one of the most gracious and giving gentleman we've ever met. Not many know how much he helps the children in his community. Sherwin from Jasmines has made an interesting journey leading to his role with Sandals. This is a gentleman who works hard to support his family in the Philipines. Karlene at Eleanors is brand new as a restaurant manager and is very personable and well-travelled. Be sure to speak with Neil who is the Food and Beverage Assistant Manager...you can't miss him as he is at every restaurant all the time ensuring things are running smoothly. If you have a great meal (and I guarantee you will!), ask to give compliments to the Chef so that they can hear it personally from you.

BUTLER SERVICE
We've never had butler service at SWH and yet it always amazes me how friendly and approachable the butlers are to everyone...not just to their own butler guests. Thank you Keen and Joy for your wonderful greetings and hugs each time we see you on the resort.

All the people mentioned above are only a few of the terrific staff we've met recently and over the years. On your stay, you will meet these and many others who go above and beyond in service.

If you are a first-timer or a returnee to SWH or any resort for that matter, your attitude is everything in making sure you have a trip of a lifetime. So, remember to smile...say your please and thank you's...don't sweat the small stuff...and be sure to take time out of your day to ask a staff member how THEIR day is going. I guarantee you will have a wonderful time!

10 Thank travelpair55
Avon, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts over the years but never a Sandals because it was always a little more money than we wanted to spend. This year they offered a special and we bit. WOW!! Now I totally see what we have been missing! This place is wonderful! The rooms are large and every room has a REAL ocean view (not one where you have to stand on the toilet, poke your head through a tiny window as see a tiny bit of the ocean through the trees and other buildings). The food is wonderful. You can eat at any restaurant without having a reservation. And EVERY one had amazing, amazing food! The staff is super friendly. We had a leak in our plumbing. We reported it and within the hour there were workers in our room fixing it. They were super courteous and so nice. If you want the PERFECT - and I mean PERFECT - trip to a beach resort this is where you want to be!!

Room Tip: You can see the sunrise from the Italian village and this was where we were. You could see the suns...
7 Thank Dawn A
Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband and I traveled here for our anniversary Feb 12-18. We were advised by our travel agent Nancy Finn from myislandgetaways that we would have such a great time. She is a seasoned agent and she really was spot on! At the airport we were welcomed at the Sandals lounge, we didn’t stay there long because our bus was waiting. I read a lot of reviews about the drive to the resort and I was a bit nervous. Honestly, it was not bad at all. I enjoyed seeing the real Jamaica. I actually saw a woman washing clothes in a small pond.

Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted by concierge with cool face towels and a glass of champagne, which I was so glad I chose concierge service as it was well worth it. We left the lobby ahead of the guest we arrived with and was escorted to our room. Our room was great! Thanks to Nancy Finn from myislandgetaways for getting us an upgrade! I must say she helped make our anniversary a delight! Our room was situated on the end so our balcony was not connected to another, I really liked the privacy. The view of the ocean was tremendous. We also had a window that had awesome views. I left my balcony open all day just to hear the sound of the waves coming onto shore.

I also loved the restaurants, the food was delicious! Unlimited choices, one night my husband and I ate at two restaurants for dinner (greedy I no, but that’s what vacation is for)!! Our favorite part of this trip was the people. Everyone was so friendly and every request was accommodated with a smile. We had candle light dinner on the beach for our anniversary dinner, it was so nice. The server was such a delight, she remembered us throughout our stay and she kept surprising me with long stem roses. The bartenders are the best, Renaldo and Copeland were my favorite by far. They remember every drink you order and add their own twist to it. We also toured the grounds and learned so much about the flowers and palm trees that were planted. My husband actually drank from one of the coconuts on the tree.

We have decided to return here every year, this place is truly PARADISE!

Room Tip: The concierge service is worth it.
5 Thank Shannon S
Lakeland, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse Feb 23 to Feb 26, the property is amazing! We jumped around a bit to experience the room types. 1st day Butler suite (minus the butler) main floor beachfront walkout, the view was awesome, highly recommended. Moved over the the French Village for the rest of our stay which was really nice also. The food, drinks & staff were great ! Also, please go on the horticulture tour with Oshoi-He is so informative & you should of seen the bouquet of flowers he made me at the end of it. Can't forget Jeffrey Burke, thank you for everything !

2 Thank shannonsu1972
Lincoln Neb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was our second visit to the Whitehouse site. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our group of 16 was there to attend a wedding. I would highly recommend this property to anyone wanting to have a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,154 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!