“A Perfect Vacation”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Everything was perfect: AA was on time flying direct, breezed through customs, Sandles staff led us to the airport lounge, ride was via nice air conditioned motorcoach, we had pre checked in so were at poolside enjoying a drink 15 minutes after arrival!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanview but get one on the fourth floor for the best views!
2  Thank hoosierhobbies
Write a ReviewReviews (7,366)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We recently returned from our 6 night vacation at Sandals Whitehouse. The grounds and property are beautiful and the outdoor upgrades (beach sidewalk, firepits, outdoor lounge furniture) are great! Food was all good...including seafood and beef...never had a bad meal. We stayed in a French Village Walkout...which was great for us...even though a short walk to restaurants. We missed the music at the French Pool...but the bartendars there were awesome...particularly Shamone, Tamique, Rudaine and Jermaine! Dominique was also "in training" and he did a great job too. They took time to get to know us, came over to talk to us each and every day, and we were sad to leave them. Shamone even walked all the way to the main lobby to bid us goodbye. We enjoyed the returning guests dinner as well and enjoyed meeting "Sylvian". She was so sweet and was a pleasure to have at our table. She and "Georgia" at the Soon Come Back Desk were awesome. They obviously love their jobs and were so very pleasant! I believe "Ingrid" was our room attendant and she was lovely as well...always had everything we needed! The Whitehouse continues to be one of our favorite Sandals and the staff there are one of the main reasons why!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wife and I just returned from 10 day visit to Whitehouse. The two greatest assets are staff and location. True the resort is all everyone says it is but... one must remember you are paying premium price and Sandals just didn't justify the premium cost
The following assesment will be based on 26 years of travel to the caribbean.

Hotel pros: newer, clean, loverly grounds well maintained, nice layout
Hotel cons: tile layed throughout resort becomes extremely slippery when wet,(witness several people fall) rooms are average at best,

Food pros: good selection restaurants
Food cons: for the most part food was good but there wasn't a single dish I had to have a second time, small portions eg: shrimp cocktail consisted of 3 salad shrimp, linguine and clams ...4 baby clams

Management: While at the french pool we were surprised that no music was available at the swim up bar due to equipment failure (broken for sometime). I personally witnessed the general manager frequent this location on four (4) different days and other levels of management daily,but the radio remained in its broken state for out entire 10 day stay. It had gotten to point where a vactioner went into her room and returned with her clock radio and ipod so we could listen music on a daily basis. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT A SANDALS.

Martini Bar was our favorite form of evening entertainment and were truly delighted with Anthony and Romeo both excellent bartenders. While meeting new friends it became obvious that the vast majority of patrons were older and returning guest of Sandals. Unfortunely at 11:00 pm every night we watched these return guest leave the bar because someone in management decided to turn it into a Disco for the weeks furture brides and their wedding partys. Would it not be possible to relocate the disco enabling your return guest to remain in the only air conditioned bar open .

Having travelled the caribbean extensively for sometime my wife and I have visited several resorts that were just as lovely and staff just a pleasant for much less money.
We wouldn't mind paying the premuim price if the little extras were included but Sandals seems more interested in getting you to "come back soon" instead of giving one reasons to come back soon.

Would we return to a Sandals resort......NO much nicer resorts out there willing to go over and above so you return on based their preformance and not the amount of days vactioned so you get a free week

6  Thank bob and laura t
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a fabulous week at Sandals Whitehouse, escaping the cold Canadian January weather. The thing that struck us most about this resort is how wonderfully uncrowded everything felt (although the resort was at full capacity). So different from the 5-star holiday "factories" we have been to in the past, which cater to 100's of guest. At Whitehouse we were able to relax in the sun, without having to worry about getting dinner reservations, beach on the chair or for that matter, anything else. We had a nice ground floor suite in the Dutch Village that stepped out to the gorgeous pool. From this vantage point we had the very best views of the incredible daily sunsets.

The resort was beautifully maintained, and everyone from fellow guests to every one of the resort's staff being happy and friendly. Unfortunately my wife, who has a medical condition, fell in one of the restaurants and banged her head on the hard floor. The nurse on duty was amazing in her bedside manner and care, and followup. All of the facilities at the resort were wheelchair accessible.

Breakfasts and dinners were great (except in the buffet restaurant), lunch not so (except for the freshly made pizzas at the Italian restaurant, lunch fare underwhelmed - greasy and over-cooked.) We loved our breakfasts and dinners at Elanor's in particular, and also enjoyed the other sit down restaurants as well. Table service was really friendly and efficient. We rarely had to wait for a table and when we did it was never more than 10 minutes. On Superbowl Sunday they put on a special BBQ and set up 3 large screen TVs in the ballroom for all to enjoy.

As to activities we were there mostly to relax but we did go out on the glass bottom boat to see the nearby coral reef. I went back later to snorkel around the reef which teemed with colourful fish and nasty sea urchins. I also saw a few interesting jellyfish and a large 2' stingray, which was fortunately was heading away from me. These activities were all included at no additional charge. Another great included amenity was the on-site fitness center, which was well supplied with quality Life Fitness exercise machines, elliptical machines, etc. Best of all it was never crowded.

Other than the quality of the lunches, our only other complaint was their not providing free WiFi, instead charging an additional $40+ dollars for the week. One should not be nickled and dimed like this, considering the premium we are already paying to stay at this resort. A few years ago I visited a very remote part of mainland China and enjoyed free WiFi at all of the guest houses I stayed at. For me, there is absolutely no acceptable reason why so many fine hotels feel they have to gouge their guests with high WiFi charges!

Overall we loved the Sandals Whitehouse and we would certainly return. Many of the guests we met there were repeat guests.

Room Tip: For persons wanting a quiet relaxing stay with a wonderful quiet pool, the Dutch Village is the plac...
1  Thank Jared F
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived in Jamaica on Saturday early afternoon. The customs line was long, which I was prepared for because Saturday is a busy travel day. The ride to the airport was long but not scary in my opinion. About 90 minutes.
We arrived and the four of us who were traveling together were brought to the suite lobby to register. We were told that are rooms were not ready and we should go for lunch and come back later. Our rooms were not ready until 4pm.
We had the Romeo and Juliet walk out room which was ok clean comfortable bed but nothing that really impressed me.
The food was good we tried all the restaurants and we all liked the Italian the best. They have great martinis at the martini bar.
We spent most days by the Italian pool and had a great time. We did one excursion to the pelican bar and really had fun, we all ended up in bed at 4pm and didn't get up until the next morning, so maybe some might say a little too much fun, lol.
The people that are employed there do their best to make you happy, but you have to want to be happy for it to work.
It's a very pretty, clean resort. Quiet at night.
This was my fourth Sandals resort and would probably be my second favorite behind the Grande St.lucian.
Weather was great, everyday sunny and in the 80's. I didn't experience and bug issues. Overall I think anyone who visits will enjoy it, just don't forget to book the Pelican Bar excursion, just be prepared to dance drink and laugh the whole way back to the resort.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Sondra Y
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our first trip south, and Sandals Whitehouse was truly amazing! We took a chopper from MBJ to the resort and I highly suggest you give it a try. It was quick and a really nice view of the island. Upon arrival, we landed in a soccer field east end of the resort and were picked up in an SUV which drove us to the front entrance. I liked that they take your bags directly to your room for you. Check in was a breeze and were in our room 15 minutes after we landed in the chopper.

Our room was 2244 i think. Penthouse Honeymoon Concierge beachfront or honeymoon penthouse I get them mixed up. The room was on the top floor (4th) , Dutch village. Had a great view of the pool and amazing views of the sunsets. Flat screen tv in room, that we did not turn on once all week. Stocked bar in room as well as mini fridge. House keeping was mint and we really liked the towel art they did. One day they took our Canada towels and made hearts on the bed for us. Room was clean and kept clean the entire week.

The resort grounds are in mint shape and staff are non stop cleaning and maintaining the property. I did not even see any bird droppings and that is amazing considering the amount of birds. The fire pits are nice but get busy at night. We did not sit in them much because we were actually in bed most nights by 11pm. We would get up every morning at dawn, and watch the staff prepare for the day. Beach would be swept before 7am every morning. Butlers go out and reserve chairs at around the same time.

The staff were all great but special thanks and shout out to the following people......Sheldon (concierge ) was great and did our resort tour as well as booked a bunch of stuff. Yentyl (concierge) was also great and she did a very nice anniversary surprise in our room. Geaton (dutch lifeguard) and Kamuel (Watersports/snorkel) were great !!! Dex & Delroy (dutch bar) were very entertaining. Keon from the main pool was great as well, always making sure to say hello and see that were having a good time. I did not catch her name but the resort nurse was very nice and professional when we had to deal with her after a jelly fish incident. David and Devaughn (front entrance) kept us entertained while we waited for our bus to MBJ. All the staff we met were very polite and professional!

My favorite was the snorkeling trips! we did a private trip as well for $30 each and was well worth it. I got video of two Eagle Manta Rays while on two trips out. as well as tons of other footage of fish and coral. Might try out the scuba next time.

I highly recommend this resort and really have no complaints worth mentioning. I fear Whitehouse has ruined any chance of me going anywhere else on vacation south. I will be back for sure and will not be soon enough....... I did find Sandals to be on the pricey side compared to all other all inclusive resorts but I guess what they say is true ..... "you get what you pay for"

https://plus.google.com/116936968619925443491/posts - Google plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopANdDlEVI - YouTube channel

See links for some videos from our week there.... more to come still to .......

1  Thank TomHowittPhoto
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our second time to Whitehouse. We went last year with our best friends. I have to say this resort is fabulous! The staff are so incredibly friendly and helpful! The beach is just amazing. The resort is so relaxing and private and spotless! the ride to and from was better than last year. Food and pools were great. Yes you do have to get up really early to get a prime spot on the beach and pools. There was a notice in the daily breeze that chairs by the pool could only be reserved for two hours, and if no one came to claim them you could simply remove towels and claim them. It never really seemed to be a problem. I heard people complaining that service was slow, I never found that to be a problem. You have to remember that you are on vacation! It is just a magical place and the four of us plan on returning next January! The only thing I would add is to just book the lowest category because when you get there all the rooms are basically the same, unless you have butler service. The rooms on the second floor and above all have amazing ocean views and great sunsets! We were in the French village 2nd floor corner unit and it was beautiful. Do be prepared for walking as this village is the farthest from the restaurants in the main piazza. But it is a really nice walk! Miss it already!

4  Thank tas0120
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!