We were very nervous when we booked Sandals Whitehouse for our honeymoon and did not know what to expect. It was trip advisor that convinced us in the end and we were not disappointed. Though there are a few things (in the The Bad) that anyone booking at sandals whitehouse should know before going in.
First of all, Getting there and finding out that Hurricane Sandy was heading our way was an adventure for a midwestern couple...
However, this ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. Sandals staff took excellent excellent care of us. (With the caveat mentioned below).
I am a vegetarian and had previously told them this (If you are a vegetarian or have food allergies PLEASE let Sandals know) so someone came out in the rain with a vegetarian care package for me. Sandals called us and told us when it was safe to come out.
Also, please please please make sure to try all the restaurants. When we got there we thought we had found our favorite restaurants, but when we went out to explore we discovered a new favorite.
All-inclusive means all-inclusive. They get you and your bags from the airport. They have a great lounge. Additionally, no tipping and though some guests do choose to discretely compensate staff, I was told if you do it be very discrete because the staff would get in trouble if management found out.
If you are a drinker, there are bars located everywhere.
We booked a non-concierge room and still our fridge was stocked with water, juice, and sodas and replenished daily.
The watersports. Again, Sandals takes good care of you. We learned how to sail, and they actually had a rescue boat out there and helped coach us on how to come back in. One day some experienced sailors were going further than recommended and two rescue boats came out and said we advise that you not go any further.
The rooms are nice, spacious, all have a good view and are cleaned twice(!) a day.
Another thing i encourage you to do is ask the staff if you need something. As a vegetarian I would ask for substitutions to make meat dishes vegetarian and all but once the wait staff said no problem. (Once I even asked if they could combine the ingredients of two dishes to make it a bit more flavorful and the answer was no problem.)
If you are going to Sandals Whitehouse add some money in your budget for a tour. It is far from things and though the property does have activities, we found we needed to get out. (Sandals partners with Island Routes, which has a booth on the property AND you can bill the cost to your room.)
The variety of the food is good, but only because of the occasional party or buffet. Otherwise, if you are there for more than 5 days you may find it gets a bit repetitive. Especially as the quality could be improved. (It also completely depends on the time, day, and chef. I went to the same restaurant two days in a road, ordered the same thing, and it was completely different.)
While most of the staff is awesome, Mr. G should spend some time with the front desk staff. Twice, when I called from my room, I got frustrating answers from them on basic questions that ended with me having to walk down to the lobby. One time, I was told that I was going to get a letter about storm preparations--which I never did---and had I not happened to go into Bayside where the letter was posted, I would have missed the very important 9 AM meeting about the storm. Second time, I asked about the time the shuttle would be picking us up for our flight and was told someone would contact me in the afternoon. Finally, I walked down to the lobby AGAIN.
The last is a minor adjustment quibble. The staff is very insistent upon getting into your room sometimes even at an inconvenient moment.
All in all, however, Sandals gave us a memorable honeymoon and we are looking forward to going back. The only thing I would do differently is maybe stay one less night and add to the external tour budget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica