“best honeymoon we could have asked for!”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My husband and I booked SWH for our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased. This was our first experience with Sandals and I was afraid that it would be "cheesy". Boy was I wrong...they sure know how to make you feel special!

TRANSPORTATION- we were only at the Sandals lounge for a few minutes then our transfer got there. I have NEVER gotten motion sickness before but puked my guts out at the rest stop. I even took dramamine too! On the way back I sat up front and didn't look outside and that seemed to help a bit.

ACCOMODATIONS- We were upgraded to the 3rd floor of the Dutch Village (we like quiet). It was large, spacious and simply delightful. We did not have a stocked bar, which would have been great. Our room category did not call for that. However, we brought our Bubba Kegs and just filled up before coming back to the room. 52oz lasts for a while, believe me :)

We loved Bayside's breakfast buffet to grab a bite before going scuba diving. Bluefields for lunch was perfect as we like to eat outside by the water whenever possible. The Jamaican bread and the jerk calamari were pure heaven. For dinner, Eleanor's could not be beat and make sure to make reservations for the Pirate's dinner on Thursday nights. Wear loose fitting clothes as you will gorge yourselves and then try and limbo :)

Make sure to check out Cafe de Paris....on a daily basis! The bake shop is to die for and it probably took a year off my life as we stopped by at least 2x a day.

SCUBA DIVING- People never post about this so I figured I'd let you know. I am already certified but my husband got his full PADI certification in 2 days for $400. It is the same price in the states but takes WAY more time and for us midwestern folks, we'd have to do our checkout dives in a cold lake..brrrr.

The diving is fair but if you love to dive (and it's included in the price) you'll just be happy doing it. The thing I loved most was the random dolphin that showed up and actually hit my arm. Scared the fins off of me at first but it came around us for about 30 seconds then swam away. Most unexpected! Note: if you say you haven't dove in over a year, they make you take a refresher course that's like $75 bucks....so you may have to fudge your dates a little if you dont' want to do that. If you truly haven't gone in a while, then a refresher might help because you'll have to set up all your stuff. If you love to dive and want to see a lot more life, take a day trip to Sandals Negril as the water is much clearer and there's a lot more action.

GROUNDS- the grounds are immaculate and the staff is amazing. Tons of photo ops everywhere.

All and all, I have NEVER been so relaxed in my entire life. Everyone else was on their honeymoon too so it was very special to all share that.

We did a lot of homework looking at all the Sandals properties, pros/cons, prices, and this one was the perfect choice for us.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Toribear5
Write a ReviewReviews (7,268)

Reviewed December 26, 2007

My wife and i went to sandals whitehouse the week of dec 10th to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I was looking for a resort that would be relaxing and laid back and the whitehouse sure fit the bill. Yes the ride to the resort is bumpy and narrow and about a hour and a half, but you also got to see a lot more of jamaica and learn more about the people. We stayed on the third floor of the italian village. The room was nice with all the amenities. The bed was firm, but we got used to it after a couple of nights. the main pool was excellent and we could always find a chair or a float. Christopher at the main pool bar kept the drinks coming. The food was excellent at all of the restaurants. The calamari at Giuseppe's was the best i have ever tasted. The employees were always smiling and happy to help with anything that we needed. The bar between arizonas and bayside restaurant was our favorite spot. We got to know some of the bartenders and they kept us laughing for hours. Andre (Dr. dre)they also call him (farm boy) you have to ask him, Deijon, Pamela, Garth, Gavin, Anthony (tuco) you have to ask him also, were all great bartenders and fun to be around. Deijon was hilarious. Also "Q" is a manager in training and willing to help with anything. Don't miss the pirate night. More food than i could think about eating. The employees tend to get a little wild with their dancing at the end.
My wife wanted to swim with the dolphins at dolphin cove. This proved to be a very long day. 4 hours there and 4 hours back. I wouldn't recommend it unless it was really what you wanted to do. My wife said it was worth it , but it might not be for everybody.
We had a great time and didn't want to leave. I highly recommend the Whitehouse and we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
22  Thank willi61
Reviewed December 26, 2007

This was our 15th "all inclusive" Carribean holiday and our 9th visit to Sandals.

We went to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica in January and liked it so much we returned with my wife's two sisters and their husbands in November.

I beleive this is the first Sandals that has been created from a "green field site" so they have included all the good things from other resorts.

Here are just three reasons why we liked it so much:

1 All rooms are sea facing.
2 All restaurants have non smoking indoors.
3 There are more sun beds than people!

All the staff were friendly, rooms clean and food good.

Strongly recommended.

Roger

Cheltenham UK

21  Thank RogerCheltenham
Reviewed December 23, 2007

This is going to be a long review, so here is my bottom line: I thought this was a decent hotel but was disappointed because I expected a lot more from the reviews I had read. Things here were hit or miss and there were too many misses to love this place.

Service: This was an example of hit or miss-we either encountered extremely friendly, nice people, or we had people who couldn't have cared less about helping us on our stay- more about this below-

Rooms: Our room was fine, but the decorations felt heavy and slightly dated, especially because this is their newest resort. We stayed in the French village and didn't mind the walk back and forth. The beds were very comfortable and climate control worked perfectly. The bathrooms were very standard. We had a view of the beach which was nice.

Food: This is an area where we were disappointed, again hit or miss. We ate at Bayside the first night and it was not good. Not horrible, but definitely not good. The best food there is the Jamaican food- Eleanor's was really good and we had lunch a few times at Bluefield Beach club. We also had decent brunch/breakfasts at Bayside- the highlight is the selection of fresh squeezed juices there, they were delicious. We had dinner one night at Giuseppes and my husband's pasta was good but my fettucine with parmesean cream sauce was pretty bad-the noodles were very overcooked-the appetizers here were great, but I was so disappointed with the main course. We also had sandwiches
at the Arizona retaurant- the french dip was pretty bad and the burger
was so-so. CJ the bartender was very nice and made tasty papaya ffrozen drinks for us. The cafe was also cute but a few times when I ordered cappuccinos, they came with a LOT of grounds in them- the ice cream was great and the pastries were good- the best were the little fruit tarts which were delicious.

Transportation: we thought that after the crazy cab rides we take in nyc, we would be fine with this but this is a wild ride from the airport. In all seriousness, there were 3 major accidents (with machine gun toting police at the scenes) along the way to the hotel which did not add to our feeling safe on the drive there. It took about 3 hours to get there from the airport because of the accidents.

Beach- the beach is pretty, but this place is HOT- it said 81 degrees
every day there, but the humidity is oppressive and it was the hottest
place I've been in December. It never really cools down either. The water was very warm. The pools were also very nice and well-maintained. They ran out of towels at the pool by the french village-we asked 3 guys who were sitting around, if we could get some towels and they said that they would get some for us. 45 minutes later, they were still sitting around talking to each other and we still had no towels so we went and did something else.

Activities- We took the glass bottom boat tour, 2 days in a row with the exact same 2 guides, there were 5 passengers on each day- the first day they stopped, pointed out types of fish, made jokes about not smoking the seagrass, jumped in the water and pulled up a starfish
for us all to see and were just so great. It was such a great tour, we went back the next day- we pulled out of dock and they literally said not one word the entire "tour." I felt bad for the other people on the boat who had said they hadn't taken this tour before, as they really missed out on what could be a fun time. Again, hit or miss. Otherwise, we had fun playing tennis, pool, pingpong or just swimming or relaxing.

Internet- we really wanted internet since we don';t have international
cellphones. They charge about 15$/day (or 22$ for 3 days). We brought our own laptop but they don't have wifi- we called and asked for an ethernet cable and the front desk said they would try to locate one. The next day we called again and the person at the desk was talking to someone else at the same time, said that he would try to locate one. Finally, the next day after that, a very nice woman at the front desk said that she would ask the IT manager for one but to stop by that night. We stopped by and talked to the IT manager later that day who was so nice and acted horrified that no one had asked him to help us earlier in the week, he was very nice. Again, he just could not have been nicer, but the other people at the desk had not been at all helpful.

Bottom line- this is a decent resort but from the staff to the food to the activities, things were either great or lacking with little in between. It was extremely hot and we still had an ok time but this is not a luxury property and unfortunately would not go back.

let me know if anyone has questions!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank kkrtraveler
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Being our second trip to this property we were interested to see how it had matured. (we had gone the year it opened in 2005). Well we were NOT disappointed in any way. The staff, service, rooms and cuisine were fabulous. They have added a "Pirate's Night" dinner that is an absolute must. We can't wait to get back in May of 2008.

12  Thank dandBallGround_GA
Reviewed December 20, 2007

We have just returned from the most relaxing vacation that we have ever had. This was out second time at the Sandals Whithouse resort. We were there last year and had such a great time , we had to go back again. The adventure starts when you land in Montego Bay , then load the bus for the 40 min. ride to the resort. The bus ride over the mountain to the other side of the Island is just fabulous. After the drive, you turn into the most beautiful resort that you can ever imagine with the flowers and palm tree's. When you arrive you are instantly greeted by the great staff. This was the biggest factor on returning to this resort. The staff is there to accomidate you with what ever you might need.After a day or two into our stay we ran into some of the staff that we had met the year before, and they instantly remembered us by our names. There are "villages' that you stay in. We steyed in the Italian village this time and the rooms and the views were just as remarkable as we had rembered from the year before. The food was even more incredible than the year before also. We had lunch every dat at ' The Bluefin". They have the most spectacular Red Snapper I have ever had and is worth going back every day for more. We went out for dinner every night and with every night we tried a diffrent place to eat , and with each meal we relized that it just does not get any better than this. We did the candle light dinner on the beach one night , it was the most romantic dinner that my husband and I have ever had and thstaff made it an experiece that I will never forget.
Whitehouse is the place to go to get away from the hustle bustle of the every day world and just lay on the beach and soak up the sun.Sandals Whitehouse will make you forget everything and just relax. My experiences with Sandals resorts have been wonderful. We had such a great time again this year, that when we came home I booked another trip to Sandals in St.Lucia for next year! Once you visit Sandals Whitehouse, nothing else will even compare.This trip is an absolute must do!

Jason And Amy S. Lonsdale, MN

19  Thank bailey6007
Reviewed December 20, 2007

What can one say about the Sandals Whitehouse. It is fantastic!

When you look for rest and relaxation with a lot of pampering this is the place to go. We certainly enjoyed our time there.

The worst issue we had was with the Resort Dive Certification. The course was to short and many issues where not dealt with. My husband was very excited about making his first dive and it was a disappointment to him. The dive team failed to recognize that he was a first time diver on the day of his dive. He was left to figure out the equipment on his own and finally had to ask for assistance with testing and putting on his equipment. He felt that it should be an automatic proceedure for the dive team to assist a new diver. As many first time divers will experience he had a problem with his ears clearing when he returned to the surface. It was only when we returned to the mainland that we found out that both his eardrums had perforated. Many of our friends are experienced divers and they have told us that proper instruction and supervision may have prevented this. Needless to say this really did not improve our stay at the resort.

Be prepared to walk. This resort is very large and beautiful and you will want to see it all. It is a long way from the rooms to the restaurants and you can spend most of your time walking back and forth to eat and share in most of the activities that are organized.

Enjoy the resort,

#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!