My husband and I stayed at Whitehouse July 12-19 for vacation. This was our second Sandals experience and we were not disappointed. Our first Sandals experience was the Grande in St. Lucia which in all honesty, it will be hard for any hotel to match that place. It was absolutely amazing. However, Whitehouse was a wonderful experience and we would recommend it for sure. Definitely an older demographic/crowd at this resort, which for us, was perfect.
Resort, Pools: The property and grounds are immaculate, beautiful, and well taken care of - this place is absolutely huge. There are three villages - Italian, Dutch and French – with the Italian being the one closest to the main Piazza and where all of the restaurants/shops and activities are. If you don’t want to walk or have trouble getting around, you will want to stay in the Italian Village, which is where we stayed. The Dutch village pool is pretty quiet, with the French Village being the party location. There is a much younger crowd at the French pool, so if you want to participate in a lot of pool activities and sit at the pool and drink, this is where you should go. The main pool is a lot of fun, great drinks and tons of people to meet and chat with. If you are looking for a quiet afternoon – go for the Dutch pool as it’s the most laid back out of the three. We bounced between the main and Dutch pools and the beach.
Rooms: We had a penthouse honeymoon concierge room. Our room was super clean every day with a gorgeous view. It was a little tired and the hair dryer fell off the wall every time I used it, but honestly I didn’t travel to Jamaica to complain about the hair dryer. The concierge level isn’t exactly worth the extra money, but we got an offer to upgrade. The extra perks include a stocked fridge (alcohol in addition to water, juice and mixers) and they will make your reservations for dinner. They say there are no reservations at any of the restaurants, but the butler folks get priority followed by the concierge and then everyone else. All this being said, the restaurants were never packed and the most we saw anyone have to wait was 15-20 minutes. Other perks from the concierge was a special boat ride they offer to the concierge level - drinks, appetizers and an afternoon out on the water. Our concierge Taneeka sent us a dessert to the room the night before we left with a note thanking us for choosing Whitehouse. It was a nice touch, they really try to make you feel spoiled and fussed over.
Food: Overall the food at Whitehouse is pretty decent. They really try to give you a variety of foods from varying ethnicities and some of it is fantastic, and some is just ok. As many other people have posted Eleanor’s was our favorite for dinner. Jasmine’s and Giuseppe’s were both just ok – but they try. Our dinner at Neptune’s was terrible. Super salty, overcooked and overall just bad, but this was the only meal we could say was terrible. Lunches were pretty good all around. We liked Neptune’s (much better for lunch than dinner) and Bluefield’s because you could sit outside. Breakfast at Bayside was delicious. They have everything from made to order omelets to cereal, mimosas, potatoes, grits, pancakes and waffles, tons of fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. We don’t eat breakfast a lot at home so it was a real treat to eat breakfast all week. The Café de Paris was awesome, they had something similar in St Lucia. Coffee, tons of pastries, crepes, and sweets. I hate to admit it but we stopped there at least once a day to get something sweet.
Drinks & Bars: There is no shortage of alcohol at Whitehouse. Frozen drinks at the main bar are delicious, Avril makes a mean mojito and there is a constant flow of Red Stripe which is great beer. Make sure to stop by the Casablanca Martini Bar and have a drink there, it’s a really cool space and Marlon makes awesome martinis.
Beach: The beach area here is huge. Way bigger than the beach at the Grande in St Lucia and much prettier. The water in the mornings is crystal clear. We were lucky enough to see a pair of rays and a small black tip reef shark swimming one morning, it was so amazing. Due to the reef right there, the opportunity to see different types of fish is much better than other places we’ve stayed. There is seaweed in the water later in the day, but for the most part, its gorgeous water, gorgeous beach, and the sunsets here at worth sitting and watching. Tons of chairs so no rushing to save a seat.
Activities: The activities at this resort compared to St Lucia were far superior. They keep you as entertained as you want to be, while there is opportunity to sneak off and have a quiet romantic evening. There are activities all day poolside. Each evening there was something going on. The best evening for us was at La Cabaret. The Steel Birds steel drum band is a MUST SEE. These kids are super talented and a lot of fun. The beach party and White Night (complete with chocolate buffet) are also super fun activities we really enjoyed. Another must is the glass bottom boat ride, this is included in everyone’s package is a lot of fun. It’s about an hour or so of seeing the reef without having to get into the water. They also have snorkel trips, so if you like snorkeling, definitely go check out the reef.
Staff: I cannot say enough about the staff at the resort. As with the Grande, the staff does whatever it takes to make sure you are having a wonderful time and they are meeting all of your needs. Everyone from the front desk staff, maids, activities and pool side guys to the bar tenders, we were impressed with everyone and how hard they work here.
We had a wonderful week at the Whitehouse and as with the Grande is St Lucia, highly recommend it and Sandals. We’ve been to many all inclusives, but none have even come close to Sandals. Nothing compares, they know what they are doing. We were so relaxed and had a romantic, fun filled week – which felt more like 2 weeks by the time we left, which means we really enjoyed!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Prestigia so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica