“Wedding and honeymoon”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Wow - where do I even begin? My (now) husband and I got married on the beach July 31, 2010 at Sandals Whitehouse. We had a total of 8 people there with us and it was beyond incredible! The wedding was easier than finding a dress - not to mention beautiful, ever-so memorable, and enjoyed by all! Natalee was our consultant and we could not have asked for better! The property was impeccable - cleaned daily and the staff were beyond kind and helpful, never asking for a handout. We spent 11 days, 10 nights enjoying daytime sun, afternoon showers, delicious foods, snorkeling, kayaking, sailing on the catamaran, laying in the hammock, playing pool and ping pong, drinking delicious (free) drinks, waking each morning to a breakfast spread I still dream of, and nighttime treats and coffee - with some of the BEST entertainment! We dream of going back - 5 star experience, by far!
Would I do it again? No question - this was the perfect wedding for us!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Rebeccaayn3
Write a ReviewReviews (7,366)

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We went from May 25th until June 1st, and will most likely be back.

Bus ride was pretty brutal. Anyone with motion sickness will not enjoy it, especially after a week or 2 of booze, sun and way to much food. However, its not uncommon in these small islands. When we went to St. Lucia it was the same kinda drive to the resort.

I never saw a whole lot of sand fleas, I did notice a few odd looking "bite marks" one day, but no itching or continued bites, maybe its worst after it rains but it was a non-issue with us.

Check in, etc went fine, no real wait. Even if it was 10 minutes, it was nice to enjoy stretching your legs after the plane and bus ride. We where in the french village, which I end up thinking was the best location, at least for us. The room where nice, nothing amazing, but certainly clean and comfortable. Its starting to show age a little, but in that type of climate it is hard to keep everything 100%.

It was a little bit of a walk to the main areas with all the restaurants, but once you got a feel for the resort, there is a nice little short-cut you can take going behind the tennis courts.

Overall the food was very good, not great, but nothing to complain about. No reservations needed for anything, but some did require dress pants and closed shoes for the men, etc, so bring some. Try the Marlin steak at Neptunes if they have it, it was a "catch of the day", and was fantastic.

There was no issue with slow service or long waits at all. The only night we had to wait , it was raining and all the outside tables where not being used. The only real food complaint I could make was Cafe de paris. The way they make it sound on their website is that everything is made fresh and amazing. Either they do not make it fresh and its was frozen or the humidity makes it taste as such. Don;t get me wrong, there was always something we could find that we enjoyed, just we expected more going there, so where disappointed. PS. The drinks, coffees where really good.

There are 3 pools, the main, dutch and french village pools. The main pool was the largest and had a full bar, and if you where into being involved and watching the water activities, its a great place for you. We spent most of our time at the french pool or on the beach near that pool. Full bar and lots of space. We did not visit the dutch pool at all, but we met a couple who stayed in the dutch village, and found the pool to be very quiet. I think because the bar did not have a lot of mixed drinks or beer. A little odd to be honest, why its not fully stocked, but maybe that's the point.

Sea weed. Yea there was a little, but nothing to complain about, you did not really notice it a great deal and you never came out of the ocean with it on yourself or anything...

The service overall was fantastic. Easily found a few people wanting to go out of their way to help. One of the bartenders ran to another bar when I asked for a beer, but bottled. And one of the last days there, we got caught in a down pour and one of the staff walking along gave us his umbrella. I regret not getting their names and praising them on check out.

We only left the resort once, and that was go to see and swim with the dolphins. It was an amazing experience and well worth the money. Just keep in mind, I think there are 2 dolphin areas. One close by and one farther away. One is more of a theme park and the other is just starting out so not as large. The full dolphin package (i.e. Swim with, etc, etc) at the one starting out was $200 per person, we ended up just paying for the $130 per person package, but got upgraded by the manager once we got there. I think they where happy to have people from Whitehorse because its a long trip, basically near the airport, so a return trip more or less...

Now, I have 2 real complaints. One the resorts issue and one not.

The photographers on staff are super aggressive. I would not even mind if they asked every time they walked by if you wanted a picture, as long as when you said no they moved on. However, there was always, "are you sure", "your wife looks like she wants pictures", etc, etc...I am assuming they are on commission or are pushed very hard to take as many pics as possible. The other part of that is, the pics are super expensive. For 1-4 photos put on a cd (not even printed out for you) it cost $16 US per picture. So, if you wanted 4 good pics from the bunch, it would have cost $64 dollars for a cd with those on it Its insane. It would be such a great little extra to be able to go and pick up all pictures taken of you on vacation for free or even a small handling fee...

My other big complaint is other people. Yes I said it, and I hope they are reading this. My first complaint is the ones who sit around the swim up bar from sun-up to sunset. The same 10-12 people sat there and never moved most days, making it hard to get a drink. Most did not even take a swim, just sat in water and drank...

The second part of my "other people" complaint is the smokers. Now, before you take one side or the other here, I am a smoker, so I am not one of these smoker haters on a rant. My issue is....You found a half dozen of the same people first off smoke in the pool. Really, you cannot stop swimming for 2 seconds to sit on one of the many beach chairs to have a smoke. Now my biggest complaint is the idiots who find it necessary to smoke on the beach and just butt out their smoke on the beach. I noticed 3 different women do this. I do not get it, is it really such an effort to take a free bottle of water from your room to use as an ashtray, I did.

Anyway, you get those people regardless where you go, so that's not resort specific.

7  Thank Edmonton1234567
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I actually won this trip and was so glad we chose the Whitehouse location. We had an excellent time. The food was very good, the service was great and the staff were super friendly. We had no problem with getting a spot at the beach or by the main pool. There are some unbrellas that are missing a pin so just pick up a small branch or stick and you will find yourself an umbrella. We had no problem with sand flies but of course brought Off with us just in case. We also had a lot of rain. Get your activities in early in case the weather changes later. We had a Deluxe Room in the Italian Village and loved how close it was to the main area. We opted for Eleanor's every morning and enjoyed being waited on. Great pizza at Guiseppe's but limited hours. The entertainment was average, but there was a lot of audience participation and it was all a good time. We snorkeled twice and tried the hobie cat which was very simple and fun. All in all we had a fantastic trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LindySD
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Jamaica in the past 2 years. Last year we visited Sandals Grande Rivera, and this year we wanted to compare resorts, so we went to Whitehouse. We visited from May 25th through June 3rd.

Let me first say that for those that can’t go to Jamaica and have a good time, they can’t have a good time anywhere. Complaints about how long it takes for service, quality of rooms and food, they would make those same complaints wherever they go. You have to go with the idea that you are completely on vacation and you should not be in a hurry to go anywhere or do anything.

As for Whitehouse, yes the ride is very interesting, bumpy and lengthy, but very eye opening as to how lucky we should all consider ourselves to be. The interior of the island and the villages you pass along the way, give you a true idea of how difficult life can be in Jamaica. Upon arriving at the resort, you are greeted and the check-in process is completed quickly.

We reserved a room in the French Village, but were upgraded to the Italian Village which put us close to the main resort and water activities. We were told that they upgraded us because our room was not ready, but as the week went on, it seemed that many guests were upgraded for this reason. I believe that they do this in an effort to spread guests around the resort for purposes of housekeeping and helping to feel like the resort is not crowed.

Only had one problem with our room. A storm with heavy rain came through lasting about an hour. The wind was blowing rain sideways and water came into the room from around the window. The floor started to flood. After throwing a few towels around the leak, we called the front desk and while we were out to dinner, the room was cleaned and a bottle of Champagne was left for our inconvenience. Every room has an Ocean view which you don’t pay extra for. Recommend floors 2 or higher. Our room was 1202, which was on the second floor and had an unobstructed view only 50 yards from the water. Housekeeping Department does a great job restocking and cleaning rooms.

The resort is very large and well maintained. Rooms are standard and we found no reason to pay extra for Butler service. Other than a nap in the afternoon and to sleep in at night, you’re never in it.

The food was fine with plenty of options as to types of food. While it is not 5 stars dining, the food was good. The Café de Paris was outstanding for snacks, coffee and ice cream. While Butler service can provide you with reservations for dinner, we only had 1 night where we waited and that was when it was raining and only indoor seating was an option.

We found the Water Sports staff to be helpful, friendly and very amusing. They really do a nice job. We did lots of Waterskiing, Hobie Cats, Kayaking, Snorkeling and Windsurfing. We only spent one day at the main pool as we were there for the beach and ocean. I can swim in a pool at home anytime.

I was pleasantly pleased with the amount of visible fish when snorkeling. Saw everything from huge string-rays and an 8 ft shark that the boat captain pulled out of a hole in the reef. Water clarity was excellent.

The evening entertainment was enjoyable and a lot of work is put into this events. Some of us would like to see them start events earlier than 9 or 9:30 PM as the lack of participation/attendance can probably be attributed to the difficulty staying awake after a full day in the sun, drinks and exercise.

The average age of the guest is older than Grande Rivera. That works just fine for us as we are both in our late 40’s. We met several nice couples and will stay in contact with them.

The one item I tried to prepare for, but didn’t have much luck with was the SAND FLEES/FLIES. While my wife didn’t get bitten, I did. I tried everything from insect repellant to a variety of lotions. The issue lies with the swamp land on either side of the resort. I was told that the good news is that once the Golf Course is built, the swamp land will dry up and help with the issue. YES, a golf course. Greg Norman arrived days after we left and will be there the next 2 months breaking ground and laying out the course. Opening in late 2012, early 2013 or by Jamaican time, could be 2014. Looks like it is going to be an outstanding golf course with breathtaking views and historical preservations.

If you’re looking to go to a resort and get away from cities and the hustle and bustle, this is the place. We never left the property, but don’t feel like we missed a thing. Truly relaxing. We will be going back again next year.

4  Thank SilverSandals1
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My finance and I recently returned from a one week trip to the Sandals Whitehouse May 28-June 4 2011. We were a little concerned with the reviews regarding the sand fleas but they seemed to pretty much leave us alone. We barely saw anyone with sand flea bites at all so the problem seems to have been under control.

Bus ride:
The ride to and from the resort lasted about 90 or so minutes. The way there we made a short stop at a store to use the washroom and stock up on red stripe. The way back we didn't make a stop (the bus driver asked if we wanted too and nobody did).
Tip: the bottles are not twist off so if you plan to buy some for the road, make sure you bring a bottle opener.

Check in:
Check in to the resort was quick and efficient. We didn't even have time to finish drinking our drink before we were whisked away to our room in the Italian village.

Villages:
The distance between the villages were definitely not far compared to most resorts. It looks much bigger on the map.
French Village - best pool for activities, best beach, close to Bluefields (Jerk shack) for one of the best lunch options. Younger crowd and best sunset views. Say hi to Anthony and Caveta :)
Dutch Village - right in the middle of the resort so it's a good distance to everything. Very quiet small pool with no blender. Great for those who want to just sit and read a book.
Italian Village - Close to all restaurants, bars, theater, main pool (games, aerobics..), spa. Beach not as nice but close to the hobbie cats, snokeling tour and water ski/wakeboard boat.

We had concierge service and we had full bottles of alcohol (rum, rye, gin, wine, champagne...) in the room as well as tons of water, soda and red stripe.

Restaurants:
Bluefields: Jerk shack has amazing Jamaican food. Try the Jerk Mayo for your french fries!
Guiseppes: Italian food with the best pizza on the island! Great restaurant. If you find there are too many yummy options on the menu to try everything, ask for half orders of 2 and they'll gladly do it!
Jasmines: Asian food, not our favorite restaurant
Cafe de Paris: made to order crepes, pastries and gourmet coffees (try the iced cap!)
Eleanores: White glove service with a la carte breakfast. Food was great!
Bayside: Great restaurant with different live musicians at night. The food was fantastic with amazing hummus, shrimp and chocolate dome.... yummmm
Neptune: Only went for lunch, the fries were disgusting (too much salt) but the calamari was fantastic. Did not return for dinner.

Entertainment staff:
These people definitely made our vacation unforgettable. They dined with us, and always stopped to chat. They work long hours (14 and longer) and always have a smile on their faces!

Photographers: Do the sunset photography on the beach. The photographers are AMAZING! A bit pricey for the pictures but worth it.

We never tipped and only got asked once (by a lifeguard who didn't even do anything to deserve a tip). Got asked if we "liked to party" once by another lifeguard but other than that the staff was the best we've ever seen.

There was so much to do on the resort we didn't bother doing any of the off site excursions but heard tons of compliments on the booze cruise!

Dislikes:
I travel often and I think that not including internet at an "ultra-all inclusive" resort is a bit ridiculous. The internet cost approximately $50 for the week and was so slow. Also red stripe should be included in every mini bar. Even a 3 star in Cuba has beer in the bar fridge! For the price paid there should have been waiters/waitresses on the beach taking drink orders.

I love Whitehouse and will definitely be back! I honestly can't imagine why anyone would give this place a negative review!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuperHeroPrincess
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed 4 nights on our honeymoon. It is a gorgeous little beach in a tiny bay on the western edge of Jamaica. It was very secluded from noise and bright urban lights. The hour-and-a-half shuttle ride from the airport was included (and also breath-takingly beautiful). Be ready to tip the baggage carriers and shuttle driver a couple dollars, but once you are on the resort, there is no tipping and no cash (unless you have a butler) which makes things very relaxing and easy.

The room was beautiful -- not in a 5 star hotel kind of way, but as in the quaint elegance of the laid-back Caribbean. There was a lot of wood -- wood floors, wood 4-poster bed, wood table, wood entertainment center. And there were big windows that let in a lot of light when un-curtained. The bed was very comfortable, and the sheets were turned down daily. All the food was included, and we could take it just about anywhere. The first evening we brought our plates and all back to the room (although, we could just as well have done room service). Mistake one was leaving the dirty plates in the room. I later found ants all over them. I found out later to leave used dishes outside the room in the corridor -- house keeping was very good about picking these up quickly. Even though the ants could easily get in an out of the room, we never saw them or any other bugs (save a few harmless little heart flies) again.

The shower was stocked with a few complementary bottles -- shampoo, conditioner, aloe -- which smelled very tropical and delicious. We also had a fully stocked refrigerator (we had a concierge level room). We used the bath robes from the closet a lot. And we really enjoyed having a room right on the corner on the ground floor -- not 10 feet from the beach, 40 from the ocean.

The service was very prompt and the staff was super friendly. For the most part, it seemed like "anything-goes" (with some exceptions). A few restaurants have a dress code in the evening (they will let guests eat out on the patio in casual wear). Also, you can't take the little hobie cats out to the reef (what with choppy waters and rocks). All the same, we felt very free to do as we pleased. The restaurants were not super crowded (never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a table; usually, no wait) nor were the beaches or pools. Also, for all 24 hours, there was at least one place open that served food. I'm an organized person, so I will say how much it meant that they confirmed our departure information with the airport and gave us a page with baggage pick up time, departure time, flight number, etc.. All we had to do was follow the schedule they gave us to get to the airport on time.

My favorite part of the trip was that there were peacocks every where. We had three wonder right by our patio door one morning. I also loved the beautiful, soft sand and the variety of food. If I had one wish of the place, it would be for their food. It is not the tastiest thing you will ever eat, though it is very elegantly presented. Some meals were very good to my taste buds. Others were just ok. (I would not say that any meals were bad or poor quality) All in all, the same food included, I would definitely choose to come again.

I'd like to very much thank Mike McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services, our travel agency, for so much help in setting up this vacation and making adjustments when our flights were cancelled and cancelled again. Mike even had our concierge check up on us a few times during our stay. We will definitely use them if we ever do anything like this again.

4  Thank AnotherReviewer88
Reviewed June 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 8 year anniversary trip! We are in our late 20s and have 2 children. We stayed Monday to Monday in mid May. We had such a fantastic time! I had pretty much spent days on here reading all the reviews. My husband and I cannot understand the people on here that gave this resort a bad review.

Our basic day: Breakfast, lay on beach/pool all day drinking/eating. Then get dressed for dinner, amazing dinner/drinks, nightly entertainment and then bed.

(RIDE) It is a 2 hour bus ride to the resort. We really liked it though b/c it gave us a chance to see the real Jamaica. The driver was funny and everyone does drive crazy! Yes it is bumpy and the roads need repairs, but it wasn't scary. The poverty we saw was truly heartbreaking though. Once we arrived we were greeted with drinks and towels and check in was quick. I had already studied the map so much at we went straight to our room and didn't wait to be taken there.

(RESORT) The grounds are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! We were in the French Village and loved our daily walks to the restaurants. Our room was very nice and looked just like the pictures on the Sandals website. It was clean and the bed was really comfy. Our fridge was stocked daily with cokes, waters, and juices. We and a few other couples are convinced they must be tracking our location b/c they always cleaned and restocked our room when we weren't there! It was awesome b/c we were NEVER bothered.

(FRENCH VILLAGE) Even though the French Village is the furthest away from all the "action" we loved it b/c it has its own pool with swim up bar and its own restaurant. Plus the French beach is the prettiest - no seaweed and you can see the sunset. Also the French pool has the pool side beds which we used everyday. The french pool has daily pool volleyball at 11 which my husband loved. From the pool you can walk over to the restaurant and get food to go and even snacks like popcorn and beef patties. And we would take a short walk down for a dip in the ocean.

(FOOD) The food was great with a few exceptions. My advice - each of you order ALL the courses, b/c it is only a small portion and that way you can try everything. Also remember the dress code! For breakfast we always went to Baysides for the buffet. The omelet and fried egg station was great and I loved the french toast. The have everything imaginable to eat. For lunch our favorite was Neptune's, loved the fried calamari! Bluefields over by us was great too for jerk chicken or a burger. Giuseppe's was okay. The pizza was not good at all, but the sandwiches were tasty. We only ate dinner there once, the anti-pasta bar was great, but my dinner not so much. Jasmine's had great sushi! Eleanor's was our FAVORITE for dinner. It was the most elegant restuarant with white glove service and all the food was wonderful. I had the filet and it was cooked medium-rare just like I requested. My husband loves fish and he said the tuna and marlin was great. Cafe de Paris was great to stop in and have coffee, ice cream, or crepes whenever you want. We loved the soft serve and iced flavored coffee. Baysides has late night snacks after 11. Our only complaint was deserts, we never had anything we loved.

(SERVICE & STAFF) We had wonderful service! Everyone was nice and accommodating. The friendliness of everyone felt very genuine. Anytime we needed something we never had a problem with our request. Bartender Anthony was so much fun! Go to Le Cabaret for the every other night shows - it was so fun! The entertainment staff does a great job keeping you entertained. You will get a list of everything going on all over the resort the night before.

(ENTERTAINMENT) The resort has stuff planned all the time and we took advantage of most of it. Monday - beach party - buffett on the beach/music. Wednesday - white night with a chocolate buffett (pack a white outfit). There was live music most nights on the terrace. Le Cabaret was a blast to see couple participate in funny games!

(BUGS) You better pack and actually put on bug spray. You can't see the sand flies/fleas but they will eat you alive. We didn't see any so didn't wear bug spray at first, I was on the beach for 1 hour and had 21 bites on my legs. They didn't seem so bad, but after a few days they welt up and itch and last for 2 weeks! I don't think this is the resort's fault like other people on here. Hello - you are in the outdoors!

(Water Sports) The glass bottom boat tour was fun, but if you plan on snorkeling just skip it. We loved snorkeling! It was my first time and it was easy. That is actually all we did, but they had lots of other free stuff to do.

Room Tip: We liked our room in the French Village