“neat as a pin”

Cottages at Tarraleah
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I have been here before some 6 years ago. Having heard from others how the cottages have been restored we booked again with intention of looking at The Wall in the wilderness. The whole village is as neat as a pin and the cottage was spotlessly clean. It has 3 bedrooms, sun room full sized kitchen. Staff all very pleasant and helpful. Food in the Highlander pub was excellent too. It was really relaxing in the pub with the wood heater going and a really pleasant atmosphere.Wall in the Wilderness is extraordinary and about 35 minutes from the cottages. We stayed 2 nights and fely complete relaxed when we left. We highly recommend

Room Tip: stayed in Cottgae 9. Do the waterfall walk and definatly go to wall in Wilderness
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cottages at Tarraleah

Reviewed September 16, 2012

23 friends went up there for a 50th on a weekend. We stayed in 4 cottages which were all slightly different. We played golf, went bushwalking, used the spa and ate fantastic food, with some nice wines and malt whiskies, at the pub. The staff were really friendly and helpful and knew everything about the history of the place. We will go back. Peter

Room Tip: All of our rooms were excellent. Speak to the staff to get their recommendations.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Looking for simple relaxing accommodation and got it. Arrived at 4pm to welcoming staff & pre-warmed 3 b'room Art Deco home. Log fire burning well. To pub for dinner, huge & perfectly cooked dinners & no more expensive than elsewhere. Limited menu but good selection. Back to house to the most comfortable beds & wondering how this place came about. Found the most informative booklet which answered all the questions & then some. No Internet but don't mind conversing face to face so could do without, also discovered the next day that the world had continued without our input for 24hrs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

As a child my family had a shack at Brady's Lake. My father died when I was 17 and the shack was sold soon after. Now some forty years later my son is about to leave for Oxford Uni for three years (he was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship). I suggested to him that it would be good to spend sometime at the places I spent time with my dad all those years ago. So off we went to Tarraleah after booking two nights at the Cottages via Quickbeds.
We arrived on Friday night after reception had closed but were expected at the pub and given our keys. The cottage was very comfortable with four heat pump outlets and a woddheater with the fire set waiting to be lit. The kitchen contained everything that we needed as did the entire cottage. The extensive and electic collection of reading material was great - I could have curled up for days in one of the comfy chairs and read.
Saturday morning we were off to the lakes, found where the old shack had been and I showed Ed the places where I had caught my first fish, shot my first rabbit etc. We launched the two man sea kayak we had brought and paddled accross the lake; it seemed further now than when I used to swim accross as a kid of 12. I know understood why my dad just to insist on someone rowing alongside whenever we swam accross the lake. Ed and I had a great day paddling down the canal and eventually back to the car.
Back at Tarraleah we had dinner at the Highlander pub. ed is a vegitarian and had to ask for vegitarian options for dinner but was then presented with a very nice vegie pasta that he realy enjoyed. My beef bourguignon was magnificent as was the extensive wine list. We left the Highlander to walk back to the cottage and noticed that it had begun to snow.
The next morning there was a good 100 cms (4 inches) of snow settled on everything. It was a bit of a suprise as we had been so warm inside the cottage - I didn't even use the electric blanket. Staff were great about providing information and advice re driving in the snow. We left after breakfast and had no trouble getting home, but were in a 4WD.
All in all it was a great two days staying in a warm comfortable cottage. If I had any criticism it would be that we weren't told of some of the activities available beforehand and that there was no petrol available within the village; I had booked on-line so could have been sent that information easily.
the accommodation and the service were excellent and I have recommended the cottages already

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have just completed a yoge retreat week end at Tarraleah. Great place to do it. Neat, clean, spacious warm cottage to stay in. Pleny of spaces for yoga practice. In between yoga sessions it was bush walk , a great histroy tour of the former Hydro Tasmania Village, a spa and sauna. Good food and friendly staff. A big added bonus was a big dump of snow. It was magic.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Probably my 4-5th stay here, as lovely as it is the lack of mobile or Internet connection means its not suitable for business travellers. Of you're trying to cut off from society it's great. The Tavern keeps changing hands so the food varies from good to poor

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Boltstress
Reviewed June 5, 2012

we due back next week after a really enjoyable time here in February.

The cottage has been fully renovated to 1940s style complete with a deco bar. The cottage had 4 bedrooms and we stayed with our three kids. I often feel i should allow my kids more freedom and here we feel we can . We let them ride bikes around the village and let let them explore on their own with out being worried.

The cottage was really clean and had everything you could ever need including a bread maker which we will use next week.

Staff really helpful though out our stay . The pub in village was also very child friendly.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a cottage for families - heaps of space to spread out & just gorgeous decor. As...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mum N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarraleah
Highland Cabins and Cottages at Bronte Park
#1 of 1 in Derwent Bridge
Bronte Park Village
Bronte Park Village
#1 of 1 in Bronte Park

Been to Cottages at Tarraleah? Share your experiences!