“Disappointing Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Tarraleah Lodge
Australia
“Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

We recently stayed at the Lodge for 2 nights. After reading all the great reviews about the Lodge, we were very excited about the stay but in the end sadly very disappointed with our experience.

It seemed to us that the Lodge was undergoing a change of management as everyone (staff) we met seemed to have only been there for a few weeks/months. Therefore, the Lodge in terms of presentation and service did not present a cohesive and warm environment for their guest. Little things that we would expect at any world class lodge, that we found lacking were for example, used towels weren't changed but merely hung back on the rack, the minibar was not replenished, shampoo and conditioner was not replaced/replenished, no coffee or tea facilities at the library, no up-to-date reading material at the library and the foxtel only had 4 available channels and no movies although there was a movie guide next to the tv.

The Lodge also claimed to have various activities for guest e.g. trekking, trout fishing etc but none of the activities were organised by the Lodge themselves. We were told we could do that ourselves with the local tour company. We had expected that for the price that we were paying the experience would be more exclusive.

The manager at the property was new and although courteous was not very attentive to guests. She could not remember if we were there the night before for dinner although there were only 8 of us staying at the Lodge at the time.

The only thing we really enjoyed was the dinner experience. The food and service was good and definitely the best part of our time there.

Overall, it is a very expensive place and does not live up to what it describes itself to be. Would require a significant amount of work to put together a better team to improve on service and quality of experience before I would go back or be recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Australia99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2008

I write this review after spending two days at the Tarraleah Lodge. It is part of a small village complex situated on the top of one side of a steep valley, down which steel pipes carry water to the hydro-power station below. The external ambiance is good, although not quite to the standard of Cradle Mountain, which is breath-taking. Nevertheless, where Tarraleah cannot quite compete with the world-class beauty of Cradle Mountain, the service and internal ambience of the Lodge blows away anything that even the best accommodation in Cradle Mountain, Cradle Mountain Lodge, can offer.

It is important to read this review in the context of my comparing the Lodge with some world-class properties.

The Lodge is an impressive attempt to recreate the art-deco style associated with the building when it was built in 1937.

The rooms vary in size; however, having stayed in the suite, Room 5, and a single room, Room 7, both possessed identical facilities; only the size differed. Personally, I prefer Room 7; the layout is perfect, and it is very spacious. Rooms 5-7 have wood-decking balconies, from which one can gaze down to the valley bottom. As I recall, rooms 1-4 do not have this outside feature. Internally, the rooms are beautifully appointed: some of the best I've seen in Australia. All, have complementary mini-bars and internet. The bath rooms are gorgeous and possess heated-tile floors, rainfall showers, and high-class spa baths. The rooms also have state-of-the art televisions, DVD players, and a Tavoli radio.

The service from all the staff with whom I interacted was exceptional. The new manager, Aneka, was very helpful in welcoming me to the lodge; she rectified efficiently a small problem. I asked whether the Lodge might launder some of my clothes; this was done gratis and my clothes returned to me within a few hours.

The food, of which breakfast and a four-course dinner is included in the price, was of an extraordinarily high standard and on par with some of the world's best restaurants. The chef really cares about his food and the quality of the local produce that he uses. There were some odd things that the restaurant, of the quality that the lodge was espousing, did not have: bread and sparkling mineral water; picky I know, but this place is expensive and, consequently, I expect great things. To the Lodge's credit, the chef noted my criticisms; on the following evening, high-quality local bread and sparkling mineral water were provided.

The waitresses were very helpful and friendly. Their service was not quite up to the picky standards I would expect of a world-class restaurant; however, what the service lacked in ultra efficiency, was more than compensated in the very helpful, willing-to-learn attitude displayed by the staff.

To compliment its fine food, which changes nightly, the Lodge carries one of the finest wine selections, I've seen in Australia, and one of the finest whisky selections, I've seen outside Scotland.

For the little niggles, which were corrected without delay, the Lodge is a first-class establishment in a very rural location.

Finally, the Lodge has a beautiful hot tub and relaxation room, which one books by the hour. One can relax in the tub in privacy and look over the valley through glass doors that can be opened if desired.

Overall, I highly recommend that a stay at the Tarraleah Lodge.

• Liked — Service and quality of accommodation.
  • Disliked — quickly solved little niggles that made my stay excellent rather than 'my god; this place is one in a million'.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Captain_Snuffles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarraleah
Lake St Clair Lodge
Bronte Park Village
Bronte Park Village
#1 of 1 in Bronte Park
Highland Cabins and Cottages at Bronte Park

Been to Tarraleah Lodge? Share your experiences!