“Money Spent better elsewhere!”

Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clane
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Before I write anything, this Hotel seriously needs to sort out the ventilation system. If your anywhere other that outside it was like a Sauna.

I attended a wedding over the weekend and spent two nights in a Deluxe room with one dinner and two breakfasts at a cost of €203 but was initially about to be charge €298 until it was queried.

Location:
Good location and quite easy to find as it's just off the N7, head towards Sallins and it's a straight road from there. Plenty of parking and shops are very close.

Reception:
I found it very hard to contact reception before traveling to the hotel. Reception is off to one side at the entrance and consists of two desks. Before I came to the hotel I asked to be upgraded to a suite but was told there was none available even though another of the wedding party arrived the same day without a booking and was told that's all that was left! Was initially going to be charged nearly €80 over what price I was given when booking.

Accommodation:
Rooms are clean but very warm with not much ventilation as most rooms only have one small window which can only be opened a slight gap.  Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are clean and well laid out but the lighting is dreadful.

Food:
Food was quite tasty and had no major issues, the only downside is if your asking for something to be well done you will be ignored and you'll get what your given! Some of the tea cups and seat drapes were filthy.

Service:
Bar staff were very friendly and provided great service as did the waiting staff. The seating arrangement for the wedding dinner apart from the main table was made of equal sized tables sitting either 8 or 9. One person had asked a waitress to move from one table to another and was accommodated, which was fine until a short male member of staff with a clip-board said he can't just go moving tables and requested the person to move back in which he was ignore as all tables did not go over the assigned amount.  On exiting the hotel we had passed staff members who were providing room service to one of the wedding party and referred to them as being to lazy to go down and get breakfast but used profanities within their language!

Overall:
This hotel has great potential but management need to address a lot of issues.  Some rooms are damp, outside a lot of rooms there is plaster peeling off the walls, ventilation is terrible and the heat stifling. Staff are great and very friendly apart from a select few who bring the tone of the place down.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank oel159
Jerry R, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2017

Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here 12/13th August as a couple with friends. The hotel was very nice and staff very friendly, overall the hotel room and bars etc were spotlessly clean however the carpet in the foyer was showing signs of wear despite everything else looking fresh. Food in the restaurant was excellent and not overpriced and the leisure centre was very nice also. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a quiet break or as a very central place for visiting the many nearby attractions such as horse racing, golf, shopping etc. I would recommend a visit to the Bombay Bistro Indian restaurant in the village (5 mins walk from hotel) it does not look much from outside but the food and service were as good as I've ever had and really good value too. I had a treatment in the spa which was beautiful and my therapist was very professional and friendly and gave me a lovely facial. The spa and relaxation area are worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank birthday4
Jerry R, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2016

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Spent a night here with my partner, it was disappointing.

The reception area and reception staff were nice enough. Our room was awful though - so grim, old fashioned, old and desperately in need of refurbishment - I couldn't wait to leave!

Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatieCManchester

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights in July, I had originally bought a voucher off pigsback for 2 Nights B+B family room with 2 kids free. As it was just myself and my partner who stayed I requested if we could be upgraded to an apartment. This cost an extra 20e a night as we stayed mid week.

First off if you are driving, Be wary of the directions on the hotels website. They sent us on 2 wrong turns and we ended up a good bit away from the hotel. Eventually with the aid of a GPS system on an IPhone we found the hotel.

It’s a large hotel and a little confusing to find the main entrance, so a big sign would be useful! We had to walk by the bar and restaurant before we got to check in as we took the first entrance and not the second which leads you straight into the reception.

When we got to the room (Which was a bit of a trek as the hotel is quite large) the room keys didn’t work. This happened twice on our stay and we were informed on the second night (Only when we went down again) that there were probs with the key cards.. No notices etc to let us know before we left the hotel..

The town of Clane is quite small and there are not many places to eat so we ended up eating in the hotel the 2 nights we were there. First night was in the restaurant which was quiet but pleasant.
The 2nd night we got room service which was gorgeous.. We ordered breakfast into the room the first morning and weren’t too impressed so left it on the 2nd.

The apartment we got was quite large, big bedroom with comfy bed and nice bathroom. We had a sitting/Dining area also and Kitchen. The kitchen was OK but we would have seriously benefitted from a small oven.
It was a microwave and fridge but there is plenty of space to install an oven in there.

The room was meant to come with a DVD player which it did not, so we called down to reception the first night, we were asked by the man on reception ‘what time are we going to bed at’…. He wanted to know as the night porter was coming in at 11 and he apparently couldn’t leave his station until then.. I personally would have phrased that better!
Eventually after another call the night porter brought a dvd player to the room just after 11pm.. The first guy obviously just could not have been bothered.

We ordered a late check out, my partner went out of the room for a bit and on the way back was ‘greeted’ by a member of house keeping that stood there tapping her watch. Our check out was 3pm and this was at 1.30pm..

However when we went down to pay a lot was actually left off our bill, I presume by mistake.

FYI for anyone booking with a voucher from city deal/pigsback etc, I think staff are told to tell you they are booked out if you are trying to book a fri/sat night. I was at reception twice when the girl said we are booked out for that night without looking at her computer/Calender.. Maybe legit but I doubt it!

We didn't use the SPA facilities so can't comment.

The hotel was very nice and the food good but I was not happy with the attitude of the front desk staff (However just to point out the girls in the restaurant were lovely).

I dont think i would return here

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Smeg21

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We did this Hotel on a Bed n Breakfast basis. The room we got was huge and spotless. Tea/Coffee facilities in room also. Lovely flat screen T.V. with all the channels. We decided to eat dinner in the restaurant and we have never eaten anything like the fish it was superb, lovely light beer batter and the veg and potatoes were 1st class. We went for the 4 course, starter excellent, dessert to die for ( I dont normally do desserts but this time I did). The menu catered for all tastes and was great value for money €25 for four course meal. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had a great time and will definately return soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Have stayed in this hotel a few times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are nice and comfy and the staff are lovely and friendly. The food is devine. The only thing I was a bit disappointed with was the fact that pool was a bit on the cold side but then I love my baths and showers etc really warm so it may have just been me who found it cold. Would have no problems recommending it to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed two nights at the hotel at the beginning of August 11. I stayed room only and as I was travelling on my own I thought the single room rate was fine for a 4 star hotel.

In my booking I asked for a quiet non smoking room. Unfortunately I didn't get a non-smoking room initially but after the first night I was changed to another. For some reason they kept giving me a room for a wheelchair user which I clearly didn't need. Note for a wheelchair user room 205 and 305 are suitable. The bedrooms I viewed / stayed in were spacious and the beds comfortable to sleep in. As the rooms I had were overlooking the courtyard area there was some noise from aircon units.

The spa facilities were very good - decent size swimming pool with a couple of roped off areas for swimming. The jacuzzi was great as was the steam room.

I had a treatment in the spa which was nice and hosts the sauna. My only comment there is it is very pricey and I wouldn't be rushing back to the health spa end as I get better value at home.

The customer service I received throughout my stay was excellent; the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

I ate in the bar on the two nights. The choice was typical bar food but was not bad at all. Although the sausages were salty. The portions were plentiful - too plentiful as witnessed by my waistline - so I didn't have room for dessert. There is a more upmarket restaurant but it only opens at the weekend.

I did find a few faults in the rooms - internet not working (they supplied a cable for my laptop but there is WiFi in the public areas), a fan in the bathroom of the room I slept in on the second night and a dripping bath tap in the room I was shown as an alternative. I trust these have been fixed by now.

Overall it was an enjoyable stay and based on this experience I would return.

Room Tip: If you're not happy ask to be changed. The team was very helpful.