“Delicious Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zest Cafe

Zest Cafe
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Clane
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Zest is a well renowned local eatery, open early in the morning right throughout the day until late evening.
Celbridge, Ireland
“Delicious Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely menu and very tasty food. The service was professional and efficient and the coffee was great!

Visited July 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Kildare
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stopped in here on the way back from a walk in Donadea Woods and was so impressed! The parking was great - lots of spaces and close to the restaurant (and free!). The menu was superb and I was really stuck on deciding what to have. Being a vegetarian it can be hit and miss getting something decent (pasta again? Really? Come on.) but no such problems here. I really fancied the udon noodle dish but it came with chicken and seafood, but when I asked the waiter could I have it without the meat he was extremely accommodating. He asked me what vegetables and flavours I like and went off and made me something unique to my taste! I've never experienced that before! And the resulting dish was amazing!! The staff couldn't have been nicer and the atmosphere was very good. There was a great wine selection but unfortunately I was driving. Taxi next time for sure! I can't remember what the cost was but I know it wasn't expensive. I would really recommend this restaurant. I was blown away by the service.

• Visited September 2012
Kildare
“Good fresh food but a little on the expensive side for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Enjoyed lunch here last week, fresh fish of the day was salmon in a light sauce and served with salad, my partner had the beef burger, large handmade with a tomato relish. Served with thin spindly chips - not a great effort. The food is normally good here but I thought a little off the mark this time on the pricing for a lunch, 2 mains, 1 dessert and a coffee came to €30 so not the best value. The Banoffee dessert,very tasty sauce and crunchy base but came served in glass making it difficult to get the layers needed on the spoon and loaded with cream on top... note to chef please serve this on a place with less cream, means that we can get the fork thru the layers and enjoy the overall scrumptiousness of this dessert! Also please have a think on the prices, Avoca & The Avenue nearby offering much better value... But overall good and waiting staff are very pleasant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mark C, Manager at Zest Cafe, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very make for this very useful feedback.

All of your comments have been taken on board on and discussed with all the team. On the pricing side we have always tried to be as competitive as possible and have absorbed a lot of increases over the last year, however, we always like our customers to feel that they have got value for money.

Once again good and bad feedback is invaluable to us and is always acted on.
Celbridge, Ireland
“Usually Very good - but just not this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I regularly ate here for the last number of years and it has always been to a very high standard, so I feel a little reluctant to write this review, but its an honest opinion. I recently dined here with my wife for a dinner reservation. We ordered two starters. I had the fish cakes and my wife ate the duck spring roll. Fish cakes were a very small portion. My wife didn't think there was a lot of duck in spring roll either. We normally would have a bottle of wine with dinner but as my wife wasn't drinking I just had a glass of Lawsons white. It just wasn't chilled correctly. I ordered one of the the specials which was fillet of venison and when asked, said I would like it cooked medium or "pink". My wife ordered pizza. When mains arrived I noted on cutting into venison that it was well done. My wife wasn't impressed with pizza either - sauce/toppings very bland. To be fair when I told the waitress about the venison she offered to change it. I declined her offer. I suppose when things start to go wrong you notice other things. Some of the staff seemed new and maybe that was a reason. I also noticed that the décor might need updating. The ceiling of roof needs a coat of paint (its very black). Some downlighter bulbs need replacing. Walls need paint also. The staff offered our desserts on the house but we just weren't enjoying the meal so we decided to just have coffees which in fairness were complementary. I am sorry to say I was disappointed with the meal as a whole. I have enjoyed many nights out at this restaurant and have regularly recommended it to friends and others. Perhaps this was an isolated instance but I hope that things return to the way I remember. I will probably go back, but maybe not for a while.

• Visited October 2012
Mark C, Manager at Zest Cafe, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very helpful comments. I'm saddened to hear that your visit to Zest was somewhat disappointing.

I remember the evening in question and the menu had changed that week and the kitchen were struggling with portion sizes on some of the new starters. They were also struggling with the temperature on the vension that night also.

Clearly this was not acceptable, however, the issues were addressed the following monday and as always the kitchen team took the issues very seriously and dealt with them accordingly.

You're correct on the ceiling, it needs to be re-painted and we changed some of the circuits to low energy ones and there are some issues with these. As an all day eatery it can be difficult to find sufficient down time and as a result we will be closing for three to four days shortly to address these issues.

I have cherry picked some of the issues you raised, however, all were taken on board and once again we would to thank you for taking the time out.
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice restaurant with great food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten in zest on many occasions over the years as I live local. I ve never been disappointed as the food is generally top notch. Menu is varied and includes pizza and pasta dishes. There are daily specials which on our visit were fillet of beef and the other was a monk fish and squid salad.
On the evening we were there we shared a lovely duck spring roll starter and the pizza along with amazing chips and a salad. With a bottle of wine and a tea our bill came to 55 euro.
Our bubbly waitress was efficient, very friendly and fun. The venue was quite busy and we were fortunate to get a table as we had no booking.
Looking forward to our next visit.