“Cannot get enough !!!!”
Review of Rio Colorado Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge
Rio Colorado Lodge
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been fishing at the Rio Colorado Lodge one week, twice a year for 20 years. I have been joined by friends and family many times . A great time was had by all !! Its a great place with large stable boats and experienced guides who all speak excellent english and know what they are doing. I have kept score on the number of fish jumped off and the number landed.. The number jumped off is 1051, number landed 651 !!!! The lodge has delightfully rustic rooms that are clean and comfortable. Excellent food and service. Dan is a fantastic host and so happy to make sure everything is right. He is also very entertaining, with endless funny and interesting stories. If you want to catch Tarpon and have a blast this is the place to go. Some of our best family memories are of our times together with friends and family at the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Phil H
There are newer reviews for Rio Colorado Lodge

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Rio Colorado Lodge exceeded all expectations. From the time we arrived at the airport until we were dropped off we were treated like royalty. The food was hot and fresh and plentiful (don't miss the desserts). The tarpon are massive and aggressive. I got my 100# plus on a fly! My wife bested me with a 160# plus monster. Caught fish every day. Dan and his crew really treat you with southern hospitality- Costa Rica style. We cannot wait to go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim G
Reviewed May 28, 2014

In March of 2014 I had the chance to travel with two friends and fish at Rio Colorado Lodge.

From the initial phone discussion when considering booking the trip, trip planning and logistics, airport transfers, ground personnel, pickup and drop-off, lodge staff, food, accommodations, fishing guides, license and paperwork and of course the charismatic Dan Wise himself......everything could not have been better..

I fish, hunt and travel a lot and have experience for comparison, and this is the place for a remote jungle lodge fishing destination. Everyone will work hard to get you on the fish. You will have awesome handmade meals three times a day, all connections and details are taken care of for you.

I want to go back!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank drj070
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I had the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica in October 2011 for Tarpon Fishing and stayed at the Rio Colorado Lodge. I had the most magnificent time! The fishing was not disappointing! Wow!!!! You WILL catch fish! Count on it!!! What an exhausting workout!! I'm still sore as I write this. The guides were fantastic and extremely helpful to the guests, even this first time Tarpon fishing "girl". The lodge was beautiful and relaxing. The entire rustic river front atmosphere was so relaxing. Beautiful!! It rained some every day, but the weather was mild with cool breezes. There are comfortable, clean rooms with air conditioning. The staff were all very service-oriented and friendly. The owner Dan, was such a funny storyteller who cares about meeting the needs of each guest. I told Dan before I left that I only had one complaint......I ate too much. The food was fabulous!!! Three big meals per day served family style with the other lodge guests. I loved it because it gave me the opportunity to get to know the other guests. I would totally recommend that women come to this lodge and enjoy the experience. Oh yes...one other thing, expect out of control curly hair....humidity is slightly high. LOL!!! Only a woman would say this.....expect bad hair! Great place for fishermen and women!!! Come on girls......go fishing!!! The good news again....you WILL catch fish......BIG fish!!! You will leave wanting to go back again!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Dawn A
Reviewed October 9, 2011

i recently had the pleasure to fish at rio colorado lodge and meet the world famous lawyer dan who hails from the great state of mississippi. i spent 2 days on my trip and had a great time fishing and socializing. the lodge is rustic but the rooms are clean, the beds are soft, the showers are hot, the air conditioning is cool and the food is great. this all takes a back seat to the fishing, where you will have multiple chances to land monster tarpon. lawyer dan is a great host your entire trip and you'll leave wishing you had another day to just sit and listen to him. if he's not busy i'd suggest asking him to spend an afternoon in your boat just to socialize. each day you'll be treated to great food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. your mornings will start with breakfast at 5:30am and you'll be on the boat by 6am. you'll fish until 11am and then you'll come back to the lodge for lunch and a nap. then at 2pm you'll go back out for 3 more hours. 5-6:30pm is happy hour at the bar and then dinner is served and you'll be able to trade stories with the other guests. there is a large tv room with mexican satellite tv for entertainment in the evenings as well as the bar stays open until 10pm.
I went to costa rica with a group that spent most of there time on the pacific side of the country but i made this trip over and after going i felt sorry for the rest of my group because i felt that i had truly experienced a great journey. i think a 2 or 3 day trip is long enough unless you are really serious about fishing but i would not hesitate to recommend the lodge. i look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank blackjackdog2
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The first time was 2006 with my brother. We left after only two days as this portion of our trip to Costa Rica was an add-on and we did not have more time than that. We left with the knowledge that we WOULD return. In February of 2011 we did. That is, me and my wife and another couple. My wife came only reluctantly. I promised her a 5* hotel in Quepos. She says, "The older I get the more stars my hotel needs". When we left she was talking about the next time. The couple that came with us felt the same. Although the "Lodge" is a bit rustic, it is after all a fishing lodge in the jungles of Costa Rica accessible only by air or by boat, it offers all that we could have wanted. Clean rooms with hot water and AC. Outstanding food and company from the owner and staff. Laundry left for the maid in the morning was ready by noon. And the fishing, as far as we were concerned, more than met our expectations. We came as much for the lodge as the fishing. When we return we will try to save a couple of days just for laying around. "Lawyer" Dan and the rest of his guests and staff were the most enjoyable and interesting people to be around that I have ever encountered in a "fish camp". We came in by boat, arranged by the lodge, and left by air. I think it was a really good way to do it. Especially if it is the first time you are in the country (our friends). If you are able, leave your extra luggage in San Jose at the Lodge's offices. It will be kept under lock and key. The air part of the trip allows only 25# per person. Shoes, flappers, shorts, tee shirts and medicine are all that you need. If you are a dirty person they'll wash for you. The only regret about the trip was my brother's, he couldn't come along.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2011

If you are a fisherman this is the place for you! The fishing is great. The guides are proactive. My sea worthiness is not great and without asking my guide made sure the boat did as little bobbing around as possible without affecting the fishing. Serivce is A-one and the Host Dan Wise is congenial and concerned about your stay. The food was excellent and I have eaten all over the world in the best of restaurants and I was satisfied with the food here. If you want a unique fishing experience this is the place to be!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank shari536

Been to Rio Colorado Lodge? Share your experiences!