“great fishing, great food, great fun!”
Review of Rio Colorado Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge
Rio Colorado Lodge
Mississippi
“great fishing, great food, great fun!”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

i recently had the pleasure to fish at rio colorado lodge and meet the world famous lawyer dan who hails from the great state of mississippi. i spent 2 days on my trip and had a great time fishing and socializing. the lodge is rustic but the rooms are clean, the beds are soft, the showers are hot, the air conditioning is cool and the food is great. this all takes a back seat to the fishing, where you will have multiple chances to land monster tarpon. lawyer dan is a great host your entire trip and you'll leave wishing you had another day to just sit and listen to him. if he's not busy i'd suggest asking him to spend an afternoon in your boat just to socialize. each day you'll be treated to great food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. your mornings will start with breakfast at 5:30am and you'll be on the boat by 6am. you'll fish until 11am and then you'll come back to the lodge for lunch and a nap. then at 2pm you'll go back out for 3 more hours. 5-6:30pm is happy hour at the bar and then dinner is served and you'll be able to trade stories with the other guests. there is a large tv room with mexican satellite tv for entertainment in the evenings as well as the bar stays open until 10pm.
I went to costa rica with a group that spent most of there time on the pacific side of the country but i made this trip over and after going i felt sorry for the rest of my group because i felt that i had truly experienced a great journey. i think a 2 or 3 day trip is long enough unless you are really serious about fishing but i would not hesitate to recommend the lodge. i look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank blackjackdog2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Calif.
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The first time was 2006 with my brother. We left after only two days as this portion of our trip to Costa Rica was an add-on and we did not have more time than that. We left with the knowledge that we WOULD return. In February of 2011 we did. That is, me and my wife and another couple. My wife came only reluctantly. I promised her a 5* hotel in Quepos. She says, "The older I get the more stars my hotel needs". When we left she was talking about the next time. The couple that came with us felt the same. Although the "Lodge" is a bit rustic, it is after all a fishing lodge in the jungles of Costa Rica accessible only by air or by boat, it offers all that we could have wanted. Clean rooms with hot water and AC. Outstanding food and company from the owner and staff. Laundry left for the maid in the morning was ready by noon. And the fishing, as far as we were concerned, more than met our expectations. We came as much for the lodge as the fishing. When we return we will try to save a couple of days just for laying around. "Lawyer" Dan and the rest of his guests and staff were the most enjoyable and interesting people to be around that I have ever encountered in a "fish camp". We came in by boat, arranged by the lodge, and left by air. I think it was a really good way to do it. Especially if it is the first time you are in the country (our friends). If you are able, leave your extra luggage in San Jose at the Lodge's offices. It will be kept under lock and key. The air part of the trip allows only 25# per person. Shoes, flappers, shorts, tee shirts and medicine are all that you need. If you are a dirty person they'll wash for you. The only regret about the trip was my brother's, he couldn't come along.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Northvale, New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2011

If you are a fisherman this is the place for you! The fishing is great. The guides are proactive. My sea worthiness is not great and without asking my guide made sure the boat did as little bobbing around as possible without affecting the fishing. Serivce is A-one and the Host Dan Wise is congenial and concerned about your stay. The food was excellent and I have eaten all over the world in the best of restaurants and I was satisfied with the food here. If you want a unique fishing experience this is the place to be!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank shari536
Jamestown
Reviewed August 28, 2009

While searching the internet for the Rio Colorado Lodge in Costa Rica to help me relive a great trip there, I came upon a negitive review of the lodge. Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this lady had such a bad time while at the lodge. The time my wife and I spent at the ldoge was a great experience. while it is true that we were there to fish, We did get the chance to talk to a couple that had came in by boat as part of a Eco-tour that day. They had come down the river and were going to spend the night at the Rio Colorado Lodge before heading back up the river the next day. They told us they had a great time on the river and saw many things they wouldn't have seen unless they had taken the river trip. They seem to really enjoy hearing all the fishermen talk about the fishing they were having there at the lodge.
Dinners at the lodge are served family style at a very long table. You get the chance to meet every groups that is at the lodge during dinners. My wife and I really enjoyed that part of our trip. At other lodges people sit at different tables and never really get to meet others. we got to meet many groups and by the next day you knew other people by thier first name. It just really made the trip better. The food was some of the best food I had ever eaten. the cooks do a great job preparing the breakfast, lunches and dinners. all the fruit and vegtebles were local and very fresh. The meats were out of this world in taste.
There was a covered ( tiki type ) open air bar there as well. Most people would go there for a couple beers or night caps after dinner, sit around continueing the talks they had started at dinner with new friends or some would just head back to thier rooms to get ready for another day of great fishing.
The rooms were all very clean and alos very nice for a fishing lodge in the jungle of Costa Rica. the AC was very cold and the water in the shower was very hot. My wife took some of the lime flavored shower soap home when we left. We still talk about how we would love to get our hands on some more of that lime soap.
I really like the trip I took to the Rio Colorado lodge. I found Dan , the manager to be a great southern host. He wasn't stand-offish and seem to want everyone at the lodge to have a good time while they were there. It is a rustic lodge and I would think one for the adventure at heart to enjoy. If you require high maintance up keep ( lip stick and makeup) to get your day going, I'd think twice.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IBBUBBA
Nassau Bahamas
Reviewed January 15, 2005

My husband and I were sent here through a tour company who suggested it to us. If you like being in a beautiful place of nature and then seeing lots of caged animals than perhaps this may indeed be the place for you. Everywhere you look, caged birds and monkeys. Not my idea of being with nature. It is a primarily a fishing lodge, we were not told this and we were not fishing. We were sent there to 'enjoy nature'. The lodge was all men who had all been fishing that day. I sat at dinner that night with about 18 men and my husband. Everyone talked about their fishing experience that day. We could not partake in the conversation and further....what the hell were we doing there anyway? If you are not fishing, stay clear of this resort. It is only for the serious fisherman and I could not see any beauty in the grounds that were loaded with caged animals. I found it quite troubling to be honest. It was a nightmare as we could not just leave when we wanted to. We were stuck there as you have to leave by private plane or boat. With little money, we had to ride it out. I hated it. There was nothing to do and when we asked the owner if we could just fish of the dock, he was very rude and said we'd have to pay an outrageous amount to do so. He was not at all accomidating and knowing our tour guide well, the two had no shame in bringing us to this resort when it was obviously not something we had asked for. If you are planning a trip that is not for fishing and 'Costa Rica Outdoors', 'Jerry" suggests this place, stay clear. We were told that he has interests in this hotel, he may even be a part owner....I'm sure he gets a cut for every person he sends.

The best part about this trip if there was any, was the boat ride there and back. This was beautiful and the only good memory we can hold onto. Our captain, bless his heart was a kind man, a native to the area and was genuinly upset when he saw how we were treated. The owner is an arrogant american, I think his name is Dan. It's obviously all about the money there. He did not care if we were happy or not.

Tina

• Stayed February 2002
13 Thank tina_bahamas
, manager at Rio Colorado Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2005
In response to the trip report Rio Colorado Lodge has the following reply.
Costa Rica Out Doors the travel agency which booked this trip is a fully independent travel agency that does recieve commissions on all trips sole to all resorts in Costa Rica as do all travel agencies through out the world.
We are glad that the trip in and out of the lodge was plesant as this is what the tour involves. The lodge provides the overnight lodging on this tour wich has been in operaton for 34 years.
We have never charged any fee for dock fishing at the resort and in fact provide free loaner tackle and charge only for artifical lures used but normally find a good old one for free for tour guest who want to give fishing a shot. I must assume that there was some miscommunication on the fishing price as we do charge a la carte $45 per hour for boat fishing guided with equipment with a three hour mimimum.
We have great food and dinner converstaion and our tour guests find the classic fishing photos on the wall and famous folks who stay with us fun folks to dine with. Based on the number of guests there on the day of the report we had 9 charter boats on the water and were busy. We are sorry that this guest felt unwelcome.
As to the zoo we have it is fully liscensed by the park department and our animals are breading in captivity for release of their offspring under the supervision of amegos de las aves an internationally renowned program for reintroduction of the scarlet macaw in to the wild. We have sucessfully raised 15 birds and released birds have been verified to have hatched new babies in the wild. Our zoo is used by the school system to teach children of the rainforrest not to catch animals for sale and severs a very worthwile service with animails that can never be released and survive. The zoo was inherited by the second owners who have made it a mission to provide these animals a quality life with good vet care and ample space.
WE promptly reply to all complaints on our guest exit survey and from all agencies who send us guest and are unable to locate anything on this post previoiulsy. The place is rustic but clean and is the only canal tour to an airconditioned resort. In my 13 years of management this is the first such problem I am aware of and we have a large number of repeat nonfishing guests who are happy to recommed our service,food and accomodiations. If I was personally too busy with the large crowd to seem chatty and concerned I offor my sincere apology. Our tour guests who are with us on a much lower price structure than the fishing guest enjoy all of our amenities, food and bar services at a price about 75% less per day than the fishing guest which is a good value. The trip in an out on the canals and river with a knowledgable english speaking local guide with good food and clean airconditioned rooms is what we have sucessfully sold for 34 years. We always appreciate helpful criticism to show us how to provide better service for our clients and friends.

Been to Rio Colorado Lodge? Share your experiences!