Our family stayed at Guacamaya for six nights while we were on a riding vacation. The lodge is very comfortable and accomodating with lots of beautiful trees and flowers and a view of the Pacific Ocean. The restaurant and bar are open air and view the water. You will be joined at dinner by the resident cat or Anna Tres (the name is a long story, but ask) the resident dog or an assortment of toads. It is friendly, relaxed, and fun. The area is very remote, you will find only a small store, and a couple of restaurants down a dirt road, but forget about an ATM or a New York Times. It won't happen. The lodge is also a two hour ride to Liberia Airport over VERY bumpy dirt roads. But it's part of the adventure. Alice and Berni are wonderful hosts and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The howler monkeys made such a racket all night long I missed them terribly when I got home. The food is excellent, the eggs and chicken and seafood were so fresh. The pool is small but very clean and refreshing. The rooms are a nice size for two people. They are simple but clean. Each room has its own tiled porch with chairs and a rope swing. It is hot in Costa Rica and they do have air conditioning but they only give you a sheet to sleep under and I am not used to that. I wished for the weight of a blanket. The hotel also does not supply any beach supplies (chairs or towels) so I would bring my own next time. The lodge is a very close walk to the most beautiful empty black sand beach I have ever seen. The water at times can be very rough with very big waves.
When we left Gaucamaya (my kids call it Guacamole) we were so sad to leave it and our new friends. We would definatley go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guacamaya is a friendly, feel-at-home haven of peaceful cabinas around a large pool overlooking the magic blue of the Pacific. The Bar and Restaurant also offer a luscious view of the beautiful manicured garden. Your peaceful relaxation will be ever so slightly "disturbed" only by a wonderful variety of tropical birds, our local group of monkeys from the mangroves or the pounding surf of Playa Junquillal.Your Swiss hosts, Bernie and Alice, welcome you in their native Swiss or fluent Spanish, English or German, or acceptable French, Italian or Portuguese. The brother and sister duo have designed an intimate atmosphere at the Guacamaya Lodge that allows their guests to get to know each other and the staff. The international clientele creates a unique opportunity to strike up new friendships in this tropical paradise, with guests from all over the world. Come join us for a taste of international cuisine, the magic of any kind of beach you desire, exploring an exotic wonderland of birds, animals, exotic tropical plants, or adventuring beneath the sea Enjoy international gourmet cuisine with a specialty in Swiss culinary delights, or bring home your own catch of the day and have it prepared a variety of wonderful ways. In the Rancho Bar, you can enjoy your favorite cocktail or cool "cerveza" while you brag about the day's activities.STANDARD CABINASGuacamaya Lodge has six well-kept cabinas with individual bathrooms surrounding a large pool (AC) STUDIO APARTMENTS Guacamaya Lodge offers four studio apartments including a full stove and refrigerator kitchenette with a wonderful ocean view from the kitchen, living room and deck. (AC)VILLA ESTHERTwo-bedroom villa with living room, full stove andrefrigerator, kitchen and covered patio. (AC)CASA MARGARITATwo-bedroom villa with living room, full stove andrefrigerator, kitchen and covered patio. (AC) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Guacamaya Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guacamaya Hotel Playa Junquillal
- Guacamaya Lodge Costa Rica/Playa Junquillal