“Best sunset in Junquillal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Iquanazul

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Junquillal
Hotel Iquanazul
Glenwood, MD
“Best sunset in Junquillal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husbnad and I have been coming to the Junquillal area every year since the 90's. The majority of the time we've stayed the the Iggy. A few times we tryed other places but the Iquanazul is the best place for us. We found our room clean, comfortable and spacious as usual. We had dinner a couple of times at the restaurant and the food was excellent. (try the tuna or the find out what the fresh catch of the day is) I can't say enough good things about the friendly staff. They're knowledgeable and they bend over backwards to help in any way they can.
The view is spectacular no matter what time of the day but at sunset, this is the place to be. The grounds are spread out so you can sit in some shade away from the pool to relax and read a book or just stare at the ocean. Keep your eyes open for Humpback whales; they can frequently be seen swimming by and sometimes put on a show as they jump out of the water. Happy hour or as I like to call it "Cocktail hour" is a great time to hit the bar and enjoy a couple of margaritas(deliciouso!) or an ice cold bubbly. Get there early as the seating area gets filled up quickly. Then enjoy the best sunset in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scubasue61

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We visited the restaurant/bar at Iguanazul 3 times on our recent stay in the Junquillal area. What a beautiful place to just relax, have drinks and watch the sunset. Happy hour was 5-7 which we took advantage of. We met several ex-pats here who were very friendly and gave us some good information on the area. The employees were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. They go above and beyond to offer to prepare your food the way you like it. Best of all are the immaculate grounds. This place is definitely head and shoulders above the rest. I can't speak for the rooms because we stayed elsewhere, but the restaurant and staff are outstanding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLGTampa
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed here for 12 days during April 2013. Flew into Liberia and had a driver (recommended by the hotel) pick me up. The drive took under 2 hours and was enjoyable, was able to see a lot of the country side.

Upon arriving at the hotel I was greeted by the staff and manager, all of whom are very friendly and easy going. Check-in was one of the easiest ever - I gave them my name and CC and within minutes I was on my way to my room. To get from the check-in area to most rooms you walk out of a central area were the bar and restaurant are - that is where you will see the view shown of the pool with the palm tree. Wow, amazing. A smile came across my face that didn't leave for the remainder of the trip.

The rooms are comfortable. I stayed in two, one near the pool for the first half of my visit then another overlooking the ocean for the other half. I opted for a room with AC. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bed was firm, which I loved. The bathroom has a toilet and a large stand up shower. There is a sink and storage area outside of the bathroom with plenty of room for your gear; they also have safe deposit boxes for a small fee. Also in the room was a chair and a nightstand with a lamp. There is a ceiling fan to help keep it cool.

The bar is small but nice. They had a wide variety of items available from Pilsen (my favorite) to Bavaria Negra (very good also) to the best pina coladas I've ever had. The service was friendly and attentive. There is a TV but it was only one once in a while.

The restaurant is nice. It's covered but is more or less open air. Fans above the tables help keep it cool. The menu is good and reflects a lot of the local foods. Breakfast options were gallo pinto, frutas (fruit plate, I had this daily), eggs, pancakes (they're huge) and french toast (which was very good). The coffee...they use Cafe Britt...was excellent - I drank it black most of the time. The dinner menu was solid also - casado (with beef, chicken or fish) was very good, the sea bass was perfectly cooked. Another night I had a tuna steak that was huge and was served with a vegetable medley and some potatoes. My first night I had lobster, which was two local lobsters with veggies. The arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) and arroz con calamares were excellent too, so much so I had those several nights in a row. The service in the restaurant was very attentive. I didn't eat lunch at all so I can't comment on lunch offerings.

The view of the Pacific is one you'll never forget. Each evening, around sunset, we'd gather our drinks and would sit along the bluff and watch the sun set. Always amazing.

The is a nice sand beach next to the hotel that is pretty and very quiet. There are some trees along the beach so you can sit under the trees if you need to escape the sun. The water was warm and very clean. I'd wear sandals to walk down there. Out front is a lava reef - this is nice to explore at low tide. Bring some old sandals or shoes and walk out and explore - lots of hermit crabs, urchins, etc. In the shallows I saw puffer fish and a ton of other fish. There are hammocks along the bluff - a nice place to hang out and read and enjoy the amazing view. They have a small library of books.

The staff here were very friendly. Everyone, from the check in staff to the bar/restaurant help to the housekeepers and maintenance staff - were laid back and very outgoing. Pure vida really describes the attitude here. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Pool rooms are nice, the ocean view rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AnotherNCBeachBum
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

We just came back home from a great week at the Iguanzul resort.
Price was great and you definitely get more then your moneys worth.
David the owner built the Resort just over 20 years ago. I would place it at a liitle more then a 3 star very clean resort
It was not to busy when we were there but the service was still great, with the staff doing everything that they can for you, unlike other Resorts I haved stayed at, where the service goes down hill in the quite parts of the season.
Rooms are a good size and were very clean. Ask for an ocean view room. They also have kitchenette rooms available.
It is around a 70 minute drive from the Liberia Airport with most of the way that is paved.
Bar service, and food was excellent. The last part is not paved but was been worked on when we were there.
They just started to offer an all inclusive package as well.
The pool was vey clear and clean, with the bar close by.
The best part is the beach. With the resort overlooking the ocean, and just a two minute walk down the hill to a private bay with a beautiful long white sandy beach, that you almost have to yourself. We saw only few people using the beach, mainlyonly a few locals.
The sunsets from the swing lounges in front offer some of the most beautiful sunsets that I have seen in more then 30 trips to the Caribbean and Central America.
You will see the owner Dave makeing sure everthing is great for you on a daily basis. He was very pleasant to deal with,is in costant contact with his staff, and was more then willing to take the time to answer our many questions about the local area.
While we were at the Resort David held a party during one day for 100 local area children, plus some adults, supplying the food, juices, gifts, and use of the Resort facilities. It was nice to see the Resort giving back to the locals something more then jobs. How many resort owners do that, not enough.
Did not have time for some deep sea fishing but checked into it. Will definitely try it next time.
A car rental was nice to have, (we rented from Alamo at the Liberia airport) to explore other area beaches and restaurants. Arrangements through the resort can be made for airport pick up and and return.
Just a couple minutes away from the resort, there is a new devlopment with a nice little shopping mall, which has a great new bar and restaurant in the back section, as well as a nice convience and grocery store. There are a number of other good restaurants and bars in the area as well.
We also saw lots of monkeys and Iguanas in the Resort area.
Overall if you want peace and quiet, great service, beautiful sunsets, fantastic private beach, nice clean rooms ,a friendly and informitive owner and staff, good food and drinks at an excellent price the Iguanazul is for you. At night there is enough action and music at some of the local bars to keep you happy. We will be going back next month. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,975 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Hotel Iquanazul? Share your experiences!