“Fun & Mellow Time”
Review of Kohala Ditch Adventures - CLOSED

Kohala Ditch Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Introducing the Kohala Ditch Adventures. A completely new and ultimate Eco-adventure floating in mountain Kayaks exploring the famed Kohala Ditch System on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I recently took this tour on our trip to the Big Island. We had both CJ and Gabe as our guides and both of them did a great job. Gabe offered a lot of information about island history and pointed out significant points on the way to the irrigation tunnel. Once we were on the kayaks, we were in the back of the group with CJ and he basically did whatever we asked :) There were times I asked CJ to turn on the lights while in the tunnel, then I would ask him to turn off the lights. I asked him about a dozen times to take photos for us. Basically, he was a great host that made us feel very comfortable and was very accommodating to all of my requests. I asked him a bunch of questions and he patiently answered all of them. At the end of our tour, I had mentioned that I had never had guava, so he sent me home with 3 fresh guavas. Overall, the tour guides did a great job and we felt very comforable with this tour.

Like other guests have already written, this is not an adrenaline pumping adventure. It was beautiful to raft through the water and be surrounded by natural, Hawaiian beauty. I have also never done anything close to this type of activity, so it was great to try something new.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We took "Da Ditch" tour when in Hawaii on October 10th, 2013. It was a fun and educational experience. In particular, Keli'i Paaoao our Guide was fun, full of history and stories, and took care of us "par excellence" ! Butch Lincoln ("Uncle Butch") our Driver also helped make our experience memorable. We would highly recommend the tour ! Aloha !

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We loved this tour when we made it in 2011 and made sure we had booked it for our 2013 return back to the big Island. Got a phone call from them today, 10/21/2013 that Tuesday tours were cancelled due to lack of water flow in the ditch :(

1  Thank Jeffry P K
KohalaAdventures, Manager at Kohala Ditch Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Aloha, Jeff!

We apologize for having to cancel your tour. Our tours did resume the following day, but the day you were scheduled for our tour may have been your only day to join us. Unfortunately, our island hasn't been getting much rain this year, and the water level in the ditch was just too low to run any tours that day. We want to make sure the tour is enjoyable for everyone; and it makes it a challenge when there isn't enough water flowing. Please let us know the next time you’re in town. We would be more than happy to have you join us on tour. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay on the island!
Mahalo,
Dayna Cole, Manager

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Wanted something different to do on the Big Island this was perfect. Our guide was great, very knowledgeable about the history. It is the one thing I tell people to do if you go to the Big Island you will not be disappointed. We even went in the rain and had a blast- they provided us with rain gear (poncho).

2  Thank pinklynn
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our family of four thoroughly enjoyed our Kohala Ditch Adventure and strongly recommend it others. We arrived early and chatted on the front porch with the employees. One came by with a bag of fresh picked tropical fruit which, to our delight, was promptly shared.

What we learned and experienced was one of a kind adventure. PLUS, in August we have our holiday card picture. Going through the ditches we heard all sorts of stories and it was so interesting and relaxing as we passed through all kinds of terrain. PLUS, at the end they had treats for us, and as we hiked from where the van left us off and where the ditch began our host let us sample all the tropical fruit we could that was growing in wild trees.

We left this adventure relaxed, well fed with tropical fruit, eager to learn more about Big Island history, and with plenty of suggestions of where to go next. In our case it was to eat food in the town of Hawi and then go the overlook and take the hike at the end of the road to the black sand beach. Gorgeous!

It is expensive, but even after paying for the four of us we felt it was an adventure we will always treasure. THANK YOU!!

3  Thank lask4