“Highly recommended tour - Great fun and views!”

Big Island Eco Adventures II Zipline Canopy Tour
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Kapaau
More attraction details
Owner description: The experience of a lifetime awaits you among some of the world’s most spectacular scenery – Zip with BIEA II through the unspoiled and breathtaking mountains and gulches of historic North Kohala... On your roughly three-hour guided adventure tour with Big Island Eco Adventures II, you’ll be soaring high above our lush North Kohala gulches on eight exhilarating runs crisscrossing tropical ravines. Summon your courage across our two-hundred foot suspension bridge hovering over a beautiful fern grotto. At our charming natural Mango Hut, enjoy locally-made light snacks and beverages before zipping right off our Hut platform! Finish the tour with unparalleled views of the Waianaia Gulch and the Pacific Ocean. You’ll learn about Hawaii’s natural and cultural history throughout your voyage, enriching your experience every step of the way with BIEA II.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 1, 2013

First of all, if you don't read anything more - don't worry, it's fun, safe and you'll have a great time!

My family (2 adults, 2 older teens) made the trek to Hawi on the northern tip of the island to do our first zipline tour. From Kailuna-Kona, the trip was almost one-and-a-half hours. The ride there is mostly boring, but there are a couple of pull-offs you can do for some nice sights.

The tour directions were wrong from the website, so make sure that you call them just to be sure (they said they had been having problems with their own site). The original directions told us that their sign-in location was actually within Hawi, but it was not. After calling them, we got new directions to continue outside of Hawi, continuing east on 270 a couple of miles outside of town. Once there, you come upon a small building where you sign in. I was a bit unsure about things, given that the location was in the middle of pretty much nowhere, but all went well with the check-in process. The greeters were very nice and helpful. Make sure you do a preventative bathroom break here - unfortunately only porta-potties though.

When you sign in, you will get weighed. This is a bit disconcerting for some I am sure, but there is a weight limit and I am sure you don't want to be over that!

My son had done some smaller lines before, but this was his first big one. My wife was extremely nervous about the whole thing, but persevered partly due to our great guides - Jay and Ash. Jay was the crazy one, very outgoing and fun. Ash was more reserved, but very calming.

You get into the van after getting your gear, and make a short trip through some mac nut trees and end up looking at a fairly simple stand - looking a bit like a hangman's platform! The first zipline is very simple and is a great start for those who might be a bit nervous, which my wife was!

Following this, you go through six more ziplines and a crazy rope bridge. The bridge was the thing that probably made me the most nervous. Not because it seemed dangerous at all, but the plank you walk across is narrow and I was only thinking "stay balanced" and made myself kind of nuts. I never thought it was dangerous because we were strapped and connected to the line above the bridge, but I thought I would still get off-balance and/or get my feet messed up in the bridge planks flanking the main one. More scared of being embarrassed more than anything else. Fortunately, I made it fine and my wife actually did it much faster than I did!

Near the end, you stop for a small break at the 5th zipline (I think) and have some fruit, nuts, and banana bread with drinks (local fruit soft drinks) or water.

Unfortunately, the tour goes so fast and before you know it, you are making the last zipline trip thinking "Wow, I wish there were more still to go!" Even my wife, so scared before we started, was whooping it up and riding with no hands on the 5th or 6th line! Both my kids were doing flips and riding upside down on the ziplines! It was a total blast!

Again, I want to thank Jay and Ash for making the trip even more fun and enjoyable!!

4  Thank ioj27
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I highly recommend this tour. We went out with Kanix and Anthony, who were awesome guides. They were funny, knew a lot about the forest, and made us feel very safe. The zip lines were great and offered a nice mix of slower zips that let you get used to the equipment and take in the amazing scenery and faster, more extreme zips that really got your heart going. There is nothing too scary and the one person on our tour who was scared of heights did fine. The tour was a blast...do it.

1  Thank GeorgeG123
Reviewed December 25, 2012

There are many of these zipline tours popping up all around Hawaii. We had found this one on line and reserved it. It is very easy to find and located on a huge 2400 acre natural macadamia nut farm. Very beautiful setting. Enormous tree's and nicely put together. It is not as long or big as some of the others but the price was very good for what we got. Our tour guides were highly enthusiastic (Jay & Ash) and were happy to have us which is a huge part of making the business a success. Tour is very safe. I even posted a video of it on my youtube site at youtube/swormtours. It was a good time.

1  Thank Scott J
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am afraid of heights, but once we did the first couple of zips was fine. Brandon and Adam were really funny and told us about local life. Would ask for them and plan to go back next time on the Big Island. It was the highlite of our time in Hawaii. Thanks, Jerry

2  Thank IkedaJ
See more reviews
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was the first activity of our trip. The zips were very fun. Total of 8 zip lines and 1 suspension bridge. You are in a group of approximately 10 individuals and its a great experience to hick and get to know your other companions. The best part about this company is they hook you up and stop you. Some companies do not do this. Because they do stop you, you are able to have your hands free and take pictures. You feel very safe! :) Great experience would definitely go again.

1  Thank amschueler