“Great Site Seeing”

ATV Outfitters Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Kapaau
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want to see - hear - taste - smell - touch and experience the real Hawaii then this is for you! ATV Outfitters is dedicated to your Hawaii ATV experience. When you ride into the heart of Kohala on our comfortable All Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s), you begin to sense what makes this place –- the oldest volcano on the island - the “piko” or center of the planet. "It's magical."
Simi Valley
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Site Seeing”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This ATV tour was great for site seeing. I am an experienced ATV and dirt bike rider so the pace was very slow for me but the tour in its entirety was very enjoyable.

Visited April 2014

Bryan, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun on the north coast!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My traveling friend and I made the 4-wheel ATV ride on our last day on Hawaii and it was the best way to end our fabulous visit to the island! We went on the 22 mile ride that took us across land not accessible to the public to secluded views of bays, across macadamia farms and to waterfalls. You can hike down to the waterfall and swim! Our guide JC was great and gave us local history lessons. Thanks for sharing your office with us, JC! Everyone at the home base was very friendly and helpful and the ATVs are easy to navigate. This experience was my favorite of all! I highly recommend it and since you can't stop for pictures while you are driving take it all into your memory as you go.

Thanks friends at ATV Outfitters!

Portland, Oregon
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

From the moment we pulled in we knew we were set to go with a professional team. They knew who we were and asked if we all had closed shoes etc. We were going on the 15mile waterfall tour. It was spectacular! We made our way to the coast and then up into the mountains - yes, you will get muddy if it has been raining but they do provide plastic ponchos that does help. Joey and Trisha were our guides and not only were they warm and welcoming they were incredibly knowledgeable about the area, flora, fauna and what we were seeing. My 12 year old daughter had a blast (she rode with her dad). I did quite a bit of research prior to booking and would definitely recommend ATV Outfitters over any other outfit on the island. Enjoy!

1 Thank mama2001
Cedar Falls, IA, USA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“One of our favorite Hawaii activities”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was a very fun way to spend a half-day. The staff are serious about safety and run all drivers through a test course before the actual driving, but they don't make the mistake of other outfitters and keep all speeds to something like 10 mph. This was a fun ride, which is just as important as the scenery. We went through mud, on various terrains, uphill and down, through shallow streams, in rainforest and along plantations, close to waterfalls and the sea as well as up on a ridge to see wider vistas. We stopped to hike down to a small waterfall, where visitors can swim if they want (it was too cold for us). Our guides were friendly and passionate about the land and the history. The scenery was really beautiful. While there are many spectacular waterfalls in Hawaii, and this trip doesn't go to those, it does stop at some pretty ones that the public cannot see. It is really the ATV ride and the camaraderie of the small group that makes it fun. The equipment was clean and in good condition. We would definitely go back.

Kailua
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“so much fun, we wish we chose one of the longer rides”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were a group of 8 (4 couples) and had a blast. When it was over, we wondered why we didn't choose the longer tours, but we were limited by our already scheduled afternoon activities.

So to start, I hadn't read my confirmation that I had received from our hotel concierge who had booked our ATV ride for us. It clearly stated 7:30am start time, but I had it in my mind the 8:15am start time from the website. MY BAD! It was after 7:00am before I realized my mistake and frantically called ATV Outfitters and spoke with the nicest lady. She was so sweet and accommodating, never once making me feel like a complete idiot that I was. We followed their directions (on their website) to find their location and I wish we could say we were on time, but alas, we were still late but they never gave any indication that we were inconveniencing their schedule.

Keli`i and JC were our guides. Can I just say how professional this operation is. From how clean the gear is to the complete instructions and even them calling you by your first name. Really? And it's not done like a suck up way, but a completely casual I'm-taking-care-of-you kind of way. The intro track was helpful for us to get used to the ATV before heading down the trail. It wasn't till we hit the trail, that we found one of our friends not comfortable riding quite as fast. She was fine on the ATV controls, she just didn't want to go faster than she was comfortable. So they allowed her to be last with JC following her. Keli`i set a comfortable pace. Or so I thought, but I guess the guys could always use to go faster. For me, I missed out on scenery, because I was looking down at the trail most of the time. But they have a couple of stops so you still get to see stuff, even if while you're riding like me with your focus on the trail. Haha. Because you're on your own vehicle, there's no narration during the ride, but at the stops, the guides can tell you about the areas and answer your questions. Having guides from the area really helps with the appeal as well.

After our ride, we got to meet Bill the owner. He was so cool and talked story with us for little while. Even gave us some tips on the Hawi Farmers Market, which was helpful and cracked us up once we could see what he was talking about. The food he recommended was ono and we even got to meet his wife, who approached us at the farmers market. The shoes and long pants gave us away?

We would definitely return and check out the longer tours. Worth every penny! If you are undecided and trying to find an ATV tour that provides clean gear, clear instructions, and personable and professional guides, this is the place!