“Weekend Joy” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
The Highlands
“Weekend Joy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Lovely hotel with delightful staff and excellent food, we enjoyed the bar meals more than the restaurant as after one night in the main restaurant we felt it was too quiet and the sight of the great fish and chips in the bar enticed my husband, the dinner bed and breakfast rate has been altered and the allowance is now £25 in the main restaurant, I think this a little strange as when you book DBB you expect to have three courses and not have to work out your allowance, I prefer to have a total to include the three courses. I do expect some items to have a surcharge. I guess this is now done as some folk book thru a deal system but as we paid full rate I expect full rate in the restaurant. However that is one of two small moans, the second being the jacuzzi which again was out of use, will this ever be usable again??On the whole this is a lovely hotel and the breakfast cooked to order is great.

Room Tip: worth getting a room overlooking the lake but if its cloudy don't bother!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
pleewells, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read your positive comments and I will certainly share these with the team. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

My apologies regarding the Jacuzzi, but we do not have one anymore as mentioned in previous responses.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Peter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
cramlington northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just arrived back from a four night stay at the Castle Inn Hotel and it more than lived up to our expectations. We booked a standard room (no 63) and although not massive it had everything you needed and it was immaculate. It had a side view to the hotel's garden and the lake. The bathroom was very modern with a big shower cubicle. We ate two nights in the Laker bar and the food was excellent and very well presented. We ate one evening in the Ritson and again the food was to die for although a little pricey. All the staff were friendly and went out of their way to ensure you wanted for nothing. The hotel is in a perfect location away from it all but only 7 miles from Keswick. A perfect place to relax.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review and we are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 63 is in 'The House' and has fantastic views over the gardens.

The team and I look forward to you returning in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lovely relaxing weekend break in a peaceful location. Ate in the Lakers bar both nights, the food was a little pricey but similar to most hotel bar prices. The food was very nice and served quickly. We enjoyed a cooked breakfast on both mornings and there was lots of different choices for cereal, fruit, etc too. So full we didn't need lunch. The pool, steam room and sauna are a nice addition too. Our room was lovely with patio doors and a big window and a large bathroom. Staff were friendly. Good location, about 15 minute drive to Keswick. If you're looking for somewhere peaceful to relax you will enjoy it here.

Dear Guest

Thank you for the recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read your positive comments and I will certainly share these with the team. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

very nice hotel close to the lake where there are places to picnic. Pool good size but disappointed jacuzzi not working - apparently hasnt worked for 2 years so really shouldnt be advertised as a facility. Nice bar area for drinks/food although both a bit on the pricey side so went into Keswick on an evening which is a 10 minute drive. We were room only so it wasnt the cheapest of breaks but it was easter so always going to be a bit more expensive. Overall very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank janandreece
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and we are really pleased you had a nice stay with us. I am sorry that you thought that we had a Jacuzzi, as we removed this two years ago and we do not advertise that we do have one. Please could you let me know where it was advertised.

Thank you once again and we look forward to you returning to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Room was small
And cramped although immaculate. Very limited supply
Of
Drink making facility had to ask for milk . 2 teabags 1 coffee sachet .
Pool was lovely.
Breakfast was an experience to say the least !! With a waiter like basil fawlty! He continued to pace up and down and circle our table making us feel very uncomfortable , I took a bowl of ketchup to use for my little girl and he promptly came and stood over us waiting to put it back!! Breakfast was very mediocre no continental meats or cheeses ,
1 bowl of natural yoghurt no other flavours offered. Coffee was awful. No paper given to me as I was told I had not specified a paper therefore I could only have the free IT paper ( no thanks)was not shown where anything was or where to have breakfast etc kinda of found my own way. Rooms and hotel are very tired and the staff are not over friendly. Would not stay here again. Very poor service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank julie w
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Tripadvisor. We are a family owned and run hotel and we take all comments good and bad seriously so we can celebrate the success and act upon areas that need to be improved.

I am sorry and very surprised to hear about your experience and I will certainly be investigating the points you have raised and will deal with these issues.

My apologies once again and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Kingsthorpe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed with friends recently and I have to say it is the best hotel I've stayed at I years. I know the Wells family own it and you can tell that they go that extra mile, which you only get with a family run hotel. Location, food,staff, pool and bedroom were all fab! Cannot wait to visit again-well done to everyone who made our stay perfect and keep up the good work.

Dear Guest

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I am equally pleased that we are one of the best hotels that you have stayed at in years.

The team always work hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable time.

Peter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Glen Rothay Hotel
Glen Rothay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rydal

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!