Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Keswick, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a nice weekend away and it was just what we had imagined!! And more!! The staff were so welcoming and could not do enough for you. Our meals on both nights were delicious and we tried bar and restaurant!! The menus were very different but the standard didn't differ - wonderful food and atmosphere with all the candles everywhere and Christmas carols! The weather wasn't the best but the views were spectacular!!! Thoroughly enjoyable...will definitely be visiting again!!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank jesssm
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback and are really pleased that you enjoyed weekend away.

The Lake District and the hotel is lovely at Christmas time, warming fire, good food and fantastic decorations, the only thing we couldn't organise was snow!

We look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel in the near future.

Peter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights here for our anniversary. Booked a suite which was lovely and had a fantastic bathroom complete with separate shower and double ended bath. There was also 2 sofas in the room and 2 tvs. Excellent and a great start. The food at the bar attached to the hotel was very good.

The first night the hotel had a Christmas party which wasn't mentioned when we booked and if the potential extra noise from the party and guests had been we would have booked somewhere else.
So at around 1:30am quite a number of guests came back to their room and were very noisy. In all fairness I got up and told them to be quiet and after that they were.
At 5am we received a phone call waking us up from the night porter asking if we were playing loud music. When I said no and that ringing us was the wrong thing to do he said he'd jad a repprt we were playing music so I said I would speak to his manager in the morning. He said I was welcome to. 5 minutes later I heard the night porter in the corridor shouting "Hello". I went out and he clearly saw he'd made a mistake but just said he was told it was us.

On speaking with the manager the next day he offered us drinks to make up for it. I thought it a bit pathetic. We don't drink but said we'd had dinner there the night before and asked he paid for that. Other hotels would have refunded the night so this was a compromise.

The second night went without incident but when I checked out I saw only £17.95 of the £34 bill had been paid. That wasn't even the price of our main courses.
That caused me to complain again. A different manager saw us and said he would get the general manager to call that day. I received a message later saying he will call on Wednesday.

Pity... I have had to complain twice already and will do so a third time if I receive the call. I did say to the manager I spoke to that you had the opportunity to make it up to us. Pity you haven't taken it.

Shame on you best western. Our only weekend away alone from the children all year in your most expensive room. I expected better :(

I will update with the outcome.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest

As we have spoken to you already and apologised deeply for this regrettable incident and compensated you for this issue, I feel it is deeply regrettable that you then threatened my receptionist that if we did not give you further compensation you would put a scathing review on Tripadvisor. Well thank you for this! But we certainly do not rise to threats. We are a AA accredited 4 star hotel with 4 star service as you will ascertain by the many fantastic comments we receive on this review website from our happy guests.

Redcar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Just enjoyed a Tesco Clubcard stay in this hotel. We took our dogs and so had room 17 which had access via patio doors to walk the dogs. The room was immaculate and the bathroom looked brand new. We ate in the Laker Bar one night and it was tasty home cooked fayre. The breakfast was good and hot (thanks to the hot plates) and there was variety including kippers and eggs Benedict . All the staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome. We used the pool and sauna one afternoon and these were clean and very quiet.

Dear guest

Thank you for your recent feedback about the Castle Inn Hotel. I will pass on your feedback to all of the team at our weekly operational meeting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Late on the1st night in our EXECUTIVE room, to our horror the sheets were BLOOD stained. We made the wrong decision to sleep in the bed and ‘avoid’ the problem area. Disgusting. 10am next day, we informed reception of the blood. She said all the linen would be changed immediately. At 6pm I checked the sheet. To my shock, the BED WAS MADE but, NOT CHANGED. Clearly, a) laundry is inadequate b)staff making the bed did not care c)communication did not happen d) staff remaking the bed did not care. This hotel is dysfunctional. 7am Sunday, woke to NO HEAT and NO HOT WATER. Duty manager’s ONLY OFFER was to USE the GYM. Our 2 local council-run swimming baths have better privacy/luxury. When leaving, another room was offered. Other rooms had always been available – just not to the guests. We have been offered an apology and if we go again(!) an upgrade. This means if we gamble another £330 we get an £85 upgrade! This is immoral and probably illegal. If you go – pray nothing will go wrong. It will never be sorted. the General Manager will now NOT REPLY

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

3 Thank Paul R
Dear Guest

We always take every comment from our guests very seriously. After several emails backwards and forwards I am sorry that you are still not satisfied with our generous offers of goodwill to remedy your situation.

Kind regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Booked this hotel through Tesco Club points was a bit of a mix up on the booking on my behalf as the booking through Tesco was still in my previous name as since we got married I hadn't changed it on my card, Claire on reception was lovely and very welcoming and checked us in with no problem. Room 64 was lovely, absolutely spotlessly clean and believe me my husband checked, we watch Four in a Bed and know what we are supposed to do ha ha The seal was missing from the shower screen which meant that we had a bit of a flood on the bathroom floor but nothing that couldn't be sorted by putting a towel down. In fairness when cleaning the bath you wouldn't notice as the bath had a metal trim that you would expect to keep the water contained and unless you actually use the shower you wouldn't know, but it was reported and I am sure it will be sorted. Saturday night we spent a few hours in the bar watching the football, well it was my husbands birthday, the bar staff were really nice and attentive then a lovely meal, again in the bar, couldn't fault it, lovely and piping hot. Retired for the night and had a lovely sleep, room was the right temperature and the curtains thick enough to keep the morning light out. Up for breakfast and the selection available was more than ample again delicious and service was second to none. Second night after a long day sight seeing we had an early evening meal, fish and chips mmmmm lovely. We retired to our room early as there wasn't much atmosphere in the bar but only because it is the time of year and a Sunday night so not many people staying at the time, we settled to watch TV, sitting area was comfortable and more than adequate. I would recommend this hotel, lovely location, all the staff were very attentive, pleasant and friendly were nothing was too much trouble and in all areas spotless, what more could you want. We hope to be back again soon

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
pleewells, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. I will pass on the comments to the team and in particular about the service. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

had room 25 which had wonderful scenery. excellent attention to detail and all was really good. would recommend and definitely go to the hotel again. food good - nice place for relaxation. didn't use spa so cant comment on this. staff all professional and efficient

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor about the Castle Inn Hotel.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and agree with your comments about room 25, it's one of my favourite rooms also as it overlooks the Lake.

Thank, you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were on a business trip, and stayed for some time here...a long time :). Our room was comfortable, warm and clean. The services at the Hotel were good, especially the gym, pool, sauna and steam room. Would be awesome if there was a spa pool to compliment the area.
Our requests were met with instant service. This Hotel should be very proud of its staff, who work very hard, while making us feel very welcome. Nothing was ever too hard. A special mention of Rose at reception, Katlin, Anna, Paul, Peter the Czech, Peter, and our superb barman Mic! They are now like our family, and we will definitely return. Many thanks to you all, and all the other staff I have not mentioned. Frances & Royce. NZ

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frances S
Dear Frances and Royce

Thank you for your recent positive feedback on Tripadvisor about the Castle Inn Hotel. It was a genuine pleasure to look after you for the duration of your time with us. We do hope you will come and visit us again in the future.

Peter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,022 reviews
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!