“Little Pleasure with The Leisure”

Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Newcastle
“Little Pleasure with The Leisure”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Castle Inn can rightly boast top marks for its position, staff and food. Try their new Friday evening Tapas menu - it's very good. However, their leisure facilities are not earning any Brownie points.
Changing room: had to move the clutter left on the benches by other users despite notices on the walls asking customers to use the lockers to free up bench space.
Steam room: erratic to say the least. Members of the club were splashing cold water about in order for the thermostat to kick in or were leaving the door open to get it to work! There was a hint of essence but it did little to mask the dank smell associated with dirty drains.
The Jacuzzi: Closed until further notice. Apparently this ancient machine has regularly conked out over the years. Oddly I couldn't find any reference to a Jacuzzi on the hotel website.
The hotel boasts a large new reception area and car park which makes one expect equally impressive facilities within. Not so. Which is a shame.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
CastleinnDirector, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Guest

May I thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. My apologies that you found fault with some aspects of our hotel. We do endeavour to ensure that everyone who stays at the hotel goes away happy. Rest assured I will investigate the points raised.

Peter L. Wells.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Manchester
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Location, location, great hotel and great staff! Location, location, great hotel and great staff! Location, location, great hotel and great staff!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank JurgenT
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent great review of our hotel. I will pass on the comments to the team and I will look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Peter L. Wells.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in a nearby cottage, came here for a few drinks and to watch the footie (Euro 2012). The service in the bar was OK, the beer was OK, atmosphere OK.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Brighton
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here on a work away day and was pleasantly surprised - never having stayed in a Best Western before. The location is lovely, the rooms are very well appointed, staff are friendly and the breakfast included a really good choice. What's not to like?!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JimmyBNewBrighton
, Owner at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for kind words about your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad that you chose to stay with us on business and it’s great to see that it was your first time with us and Best Western hotels, although we are independent hotel we work with Best Western to support us in marketing and sales. I hope you come back visit us again. Kind regards, Peter L. Wells Director.
Lincoln
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in June and had an enjoyable stay. Which picked this hotel as we were using the Tesco Clubcard offer and because of it's location. It's located in a quiet area and is not too far from Keswick which proved very handy.

We arrived early and the staff were very nice and allowed us to check in early.

We stayed in a standard double and were impressed by the room. Nicely decorated with good quality furnishings and the bathroom was huge! Nice big double shower and a large bath too. There are no fridges/mini bars in the rooms, but if you would like to keep a bottle of wine cool you can get ice from the bar, which was handy.

Breakfast was lovely, choice of cereals, cakes, fruit etc and also a menu to order a hot breakfast from.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but ate in The Lakers Bar. Prices are on par with other local bars, the staff there were very friendly and the food was tasty.

The only thing that was disappointing was the jacuzzi being out of order, and after a whole day of hiking it would have been nice to use this. However we made do with the pool, steam room and sauna.

The one thing that particularly stands out from our stay is the staff, everyone was so friendly and very helpful,

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Shakes
Dear Guest

Thank you for kind words about your recent stay at the hotel. As mentioned in previous responses I and the management team always review feedback good and bad to the rest of the team, so we can act upon the issues or celebrate the success. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards Peter L. Wells Director.
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The Castle Inn Cumbria Keswick

Just had a weekend in the hotel on the whole the stay was quite pleasant, the hotel is located in a remote location so you will need a car.

My first impression on arrival was it is very confusing as to where the reception was, as the property has been extended over the years and there is no clear entrance, and after following the signs to the new reception, a drink was required.

I stay in Best Weston Hotels whenever possible and always 4* or higher as I prefer the chain to any other ‘especially the Hilton never again’. As always I booked us into a suite room as I like the space within the room and the bathrooms are normally of a higher standard with walk showers and the like.

I was disappointed with the room and its layout, (room 60) as it only looked like it was delux room at best as there was no real seating area and only a queen sized bed, and I wanted this as part of my weekend would be spent reading and siting somewhere comfortable would be required, there were two chairs similar to those within the bar which did not suit my purpose. I enquired at reception if the room was indeed a suite and was informed it was, I was not offered any other room.

We got settled and then went for a drink, the bar was a hike away but was well stocked and the staff were very friendly and professional, after a nice walk we came back and went into the restaurant for our evening meal the menu was a little small for my liking but the food was nice and the wine list had a very nice selection, and there was one of my favourites on the ‘Directors list’ so we had a bottle of that, afterwards going back to the bar to sample one on the many fine whiskies they had to offer.

A good night’s sleep was had and in the morning I went for a shower before going down for breakfast, it was then I noticed the show cubical was broken, and the shower tray had delaminated from the base below ( Building survey by trade) I managed to get in but on turning on the shower there was only a trickle of water, on trying to adjust the shower head the whole thing came off in my hand, I had to shower under a hose pipe type flow. My wife could not stop laughing.

These things happen is my motto and its how the hotel deal with it that shows if they are professional or not. And I am glad to say that they were very professional, and we were offered another room, what was disappointing was that this room was what in my mind I had originally booked a suite with a separate seating area, and walk in shower with a king sized bed.

This to say the least annoyed me somewhat as I wanted to know why we were not offered this room when I had asked about the room size on our arrival, and this has resulted in me always in future going to ring the hotel directly and ask these questions and not book on line again.
There are only three other small issues which I would really like answering if possible

1. What is the fridge for in the room if its not for a mini bar, which would have been nice.

2. Why is there no room safe ‘ I know there is a safe at reception’ as the hotel is so large having to walk to reception or the bar for a drink is not appropriate in a dressing gown.

3. Why are the irons not left in the rooms again having to go to reception and get one is not appropriate for a 4* hotel in my mind.

Conclusion

I have read the past reports on trip advisor and don’t take note of the moaning about the hotels location, cost of drinks, and that they didn’t like the food, as they should know the issues with these points before they arrive.

The issues raised are genuine, especially with the suite size or description in room 60 , we regularly stay at the ‘ Castle green Hotel in Kendal’ when asked to undertake surveys in this area and always ask for the same room which is definitely a suite.

Would I stay at this hotel again, the answer is most certainly yes, the staff are very helpful ‘apart from the room allocation and the bits mentioned’ everything else was fine, the food, bar selection, service and cleanness of the rooms and hotel areas was fine and what I would expect.

‘ By the way the tap in the bathroom of room 23 is lose and needs a top hat washer fitting to it to stop it wobbling I didn’t break it this time it was like that’

On the whole I would give the hotel 8/10 the first room and little bits missing from the room stop me giving it 10/10 hope this is helpful.

Mr Dawson

Room Tip: Ask about the room first in detail
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Adrian D
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to read your constructive feedback given to our hotel and I have shared this with my team at our weekly meeting. It is this sort of feedback that we can act upon and ensure next time we receive 10/10! As mentioned I have discussed your comments with the team and we have drawn up plans to act upon them. Thank -you once again for your sensible feedback and I am glad that you would like to visit the hotel again, please contact me if you would like any special requirements in future. Peter L. Wells Director.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We have just returned from the Castle Inn on the outskirts of Keswick for a weekend break and feel totally relaxed. The reception staffs were extremely professional and provided a detailed description of the hotel facilities and areas that would be of interest. They also explained the layout of the hotel and how to get about.

Our room was furnished to a very high standard with a extremely large double bed and modern bathroom. After dropping off our luggage we decided to take a walk around and It wasn’t long before we noticed the lack of structure to the interior design of the new extensions; it almost felt like no thought had gone into the planning on how the new layout was going to work. There were lots of areas with empty spaces and a number of bland corridors which I`m sure with a little more artwork and plants could have helped improved the look and brought the old back to the new.

However, this is not a criticism of this hotel, but a mere observation of an improvement that could change the cold look. Overall I would have no hesitation in returning here or recommending to a friend. So well done Best Western and thank you for a lovely weekend.

P Anderson Jarrow

Room Tip: The room faced out onto the court yard with a lovely view of the water feature
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela A
, Deputy General Manager at Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Mrs. Anderson Jarrow,
Many thanks for the review, i have passed on your kind words to our reception staff, again much appreciated.
Kindest regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
Ravenstone Manor
Ravenstone Manor
#1 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!