“Great promise, poor delivery”

The Bistro at The Pheasant
Dining options: Reservations
Description: For a less formal occasion or an impromptu lunch, the Bistro at The Pheasant uses the same expertise to select the best Cumbrian produce and create something special for every guest. The Bistro is open for lunches (from 12pm til 2.30pm), including Sunday Lunch, and evening meals (from 6pm til 9pm) every day of the week. Our early bird and children's menus are available from 6-7pm.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Early evening on a Sunday, none too busy for the four of us. Menu selection is quite good with main courses around £14 or so, plus daily specials. Staff were cool bordering cold, one of the mains was ordered with no dressing, but came with a dressing. The retort of 'its only a little vinaigrette' wasn't helpful and only half the salad was returned from the kitchen. The portions were tiny and were it not for the four potatoes, could only have been a starter, as the salmon fillet was miniscule. The desserts were very expensive too. We'd hoped for great food and service from this well regarded place but were left disappointed and still peckish

1  Thank Doug H

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited here in June with our three dogs and had dinner. We had to sit outside with the dogs as they are not allowed in any of the dining areas. The outside furniture is tatty and needs replacing with something more comfortable. the food was good pub grub and the service was OK. We would have enjoyed it more if we had been more comfortable outside... wooden tatty benches are well past it.
I had fish and chips and my husband had a steak. Fish was fresh and well cooked and my husbands steak was OK. We didn't stay for dessert as too uncomfortable..

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We received a warm welcome in a busy pub but I felt my meal was only average. The starter was tasty and filling but my fish pie disappointed. Plenty of vegetables on the side though.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We sat in the garden as we had dogs and they did not serve food in the pub bar, where we could sit with the dogs. The food was okay but small portions if you just chose to have one course. I had fish and chips, the mushy peas were watery, the fish still greasy and the chips were lovely and served in their own little mesh container, so not many!. Homemade tartar sauce was good but overall disappointed as it definitely presents as a gastro pub and I expected better for the cost.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Pub was lovely traditional english pub. I didnt book a table but the staff made sure they found us one as soon as some guests had left. The food was very tasty and of the highest quality. The staff are very polite and friendly and i was very impressed with the service we received.